Blank-133x176
Star Trek 10

James Blish

Star Trek 10 (Star Trek #10)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  465 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Tenth volume of Star Trek: The Original Series adaptations written by James Blish and published by Bantam Books. Includes six stories: The Alternative Factor, The Empath, The Galileo Seven, Is There In Truth No Beauty?, A Private Little War, The Omega Glory.

(from the back cover)

As the Enterprise hurtles through space, the crew must destroy a ravening, murderous monster abo...more
Published (first published February 1974)

Robert
The Prime Directive features prominently in this volume...pesky culturally interfering Klingons and rascally deranged Star Fleet Captains posing moral dilemmas for Kirk.

My edition has a Blish bio in the back that notes that he died at 54 of lung cancer. That history of witchcraft was never finished...what else might he have gone on to do? Blish's place in the pantheon of Golden Age SF writers should really be much higher.
April Hayes
This book was new on the store bookshelf, when as a 10 year old Star Trek fanatic, my mother pointed it out and said, "Too bad you don't read books ". I became an avid reader immediately, reading all the James Blish adaptations, and the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log books during the 6th grade. This particular book was where my love of reading began, and although it will never equal the works of Shakespeare, Dickens, or even Stephen King, it holds a special place in my heart. Plus, for those if...more
Don
A simple adaptation of some Star Trek original series episodes, this was the first science fiction book I ever bought. I have had one copy for some 40 years and have fond memories of climbing a tree on Summer days and sitting there, reading this book.

It was autographed by Leonard Nimoy, who seemed a little impressed at how old it was and how well-loved it obviously was.

I purchased a new, fresh copy...because cool cover, right? (This was before the Klingons were our friends)
Rich Meyer
I've got a soft spot in my head for this Blish collection, as it included adaptations of "The Empath" and "The Galileo Seven", the first two episodes of Star Trek I ever saw. There's also one of the "Shatner, Lord of the Jungle" episodes with "A Private Little War", and the first truly non-human alien of the series in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" Some good stories here. Again, most are taken more directly from the episodes than many of Blish's earlier tales.
Charles
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Sam
Blish's short story rewrites of the Original Series Star Trek's scripts are quick, painless reads. They aren't terribly eloquent, since they are based off tv scripts, but they are able to convey some of the more essential Star Trek canon and characterizations in an easy to digest format.
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
Morbus Iff
Good episode novelizations. Ayup. That's it.
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Debra
Debra added it
May 25, 2014
christina redwing
christina redwing marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
old friends 1 2 Aug 17, 2007 03:34PM
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Timetrap
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Legacy
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9)
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
  • Devil World (Star Trek Adventures, #12)
  • The Making Of Star Trek
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–...more
More about James Blish...
Cities in Flight (Cities in Flight, #1-4) A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4) Star Trek 1 They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1) Spock Must Die! (Star Trek Adventures, #1)