Start by marking “Star Trek 10” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Star Trek 10

James Blish

Star Trek 10 (Star Trek #10)

Tenth volume of Star Trek: The Original Series adaptations written by James Blish and published by Bantam Books. Includes six stories: The Alternative Factor, The Empath, The Galileo Seven, Is There In Truth No Beauty?, A Private Little War, The Omega Glory.

(from the back cover)

As the Enterprise hurtles through space, the crew must destroy a ravening, murderous monster abo
Published (first published February 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek 10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek 10

Robert
Apr 23, 2011 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, short-fiction
The Prime Directive features prominently in this volume...pesky culturally interfering Klingons and rascally deranged Star Fleet Captains posing moral dilemmas for Kirk.

My edition has a Blish bio in the back that notes that he died at 54 of lung cancer. That history of witchcraft was never finished...what else might he have gone on to do? Blish's place in the pantheon of Golden Age SF writers should really be much higher.
April Hayes
May 27, 2013 April Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was new on the store bookshelf, when as a 10 year old Star Trek fanatic, my mother pointed it out and said, "Too bad you don't read books ". I became an avid reader immediately, reading all the James Blish adaptations, and the Alan Dean Foster Star Trek Log books during the 6th grade. This particular book was where my love of reading began, and although it will never equal the works of Shakespeare, Dickens, or even Stephen King, it holds a special place in my heart. Plus, for those if ...more
Arwen
Jun 23, 2017 Arwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More adaptations of the Original series. The more you know the more you realize that the triad of Jim, Spock, and Bones is the backbone of the series. You probably don't need me to tell you that their example is one of the kind of friendship the Bible talks about. "Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Tracy Poff
Dec 03, 2015 Tracy Poff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
February 1974 brings another entry in Blish's series of Star Trek novelizations, Star Trek 10 . This volume adapts "The Alternative Factor", "The Empath", "The Galileo Seven", "Is There in Truth No Beauty?", "A Private Little War", and "The Omega Glory".

In his introduction to this volume, Blish confirms what I suspected (and mentioned in my review of Star Trek 7): he has done as little to change the scripts he was working from as possible. In his words:

Up to that point, I'd regarded my role as
Yaaresse
When i was a kid, my older sister's friend GAVE me the entire collection. (I know!) Over the next few years, I read them all in order, starting the first one the day after I finished the last one. Loved them. I'm not sad that I didn't hang onto them and can only hope they still exist to make some other fan happy. (But I doubt it because...well, paperbacks, you know?)

The adaptations got better in the later volumes, but it was Star Trek whenever and wherever I wanted with having to put up with th
Rich Meyer
Jan 23, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I've got a soft spot in my head for this Blish collection, as it included adaptations of "The Empath" and "The Galileo Seven", the first two episodes of Star Trek I ever saw. There's also one of the "Shatner, Lord of the Jungle" episodes with "A Private Little War", and the first truly non-human alien of the series in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" Some good stories here. Again, most are taken more directly from the episodes than many of Blish's earlier tales.
Don
Oct 06, 2013 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple adaptation of some Star Trek original series episodes, this was the first science fiction book I ever bought. I have had one copy for some 40 years and have fond memories of climbing a tree on Summer days and sitting there, reading this book.

It was autographed by Leonard Nimoy, who seemed a little impressed at how old it was and how well-loved it obviously was.

I purchased a new, fresh copy...because cool cover, right? (This was before the Klingons were our friends)
Fangirl
When these early novels and stories to Star Trek came out I bought them all, devoured them and loved them. It's been a long time, so today I couldn't even say which of them were really good and which of them I only loved because they were Star Trek. ;)
Just thinking of them and seeing the covers gives me a happy feeling of nostalgia. That alone is worth the rating!
Charles
Oct 08, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
These are Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.
Curtiss
Another half dozen episodes or so of the Original TV series rewritten as novella-length Sci-Fi stories.
Kenneth
Jan 17, 2016 Kenneth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Stories revolving around the Prime Directive. What is right and what is wrong...
OJ Svartheim
Jan 07, 2017 OJ Svartheim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
See "Star Trek 1" by James Blish for a detailed comment about my opinion of books 1-13.
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Good episode novelizations. Ayup. That's it.
Tom Kelly
Tom Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2017
Gary Jonas
Gary Jonas rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Danhinds
Danhinds rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2010
Bob Burrows
Bob Burrows rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Clark Day
Clark Day rated it really liked it
May 21, 2017
Jack Turner
Jack Turner rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2010
Dan O'Brien
Dan O'Brien rated it liked it
May 10, 2011
Liria
Liria rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Bradley
Bradley rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2009
Lorelei
Lorelei rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2010
Sue London
Sue London rated it really liked it
May 12, 2012
Paul Oakes
Paul Oakes rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2011
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
old friends 1 2 Aug 17, 2007 03:34PM
  • Star Trek Log Two (Star Trek: Logs, #2)
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6)
  • Legacy
  • Timetrap
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Planet of Judgment (Star Trek Adventures, #5)
  • The Abode of Life
  • Vulcan! (Star Trek Adventures, #7)
  • Mudd's Angels (Star Trek Adventures)
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Final Frontier
  • Devil World (Star Trek Adventures, #12)
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...

Star Trek (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Star Trek 1