Start by marking “Colonization: Second Contact (Colonization, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Colonization: Second Contact (Colonization, Book 1)

Colonization: Second Contact (Colonization #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,985 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In the extraordinary Worldwar tetralogy, set against the backdrop of the World War II, Harry Turtledove, the "Hugo-winning master of alternate SF" (Publishers Weekly), wove an explosive saga of world powers locked in conflict against an enemy from the stars. Now he expands his magnificent epic into the volatile 1960s, when the space race is in its infancy and humanity must ...more
Published January 8th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published February 9th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Colonization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colonization

Paul Lunger
The first book in Harry Turtledove's "Colonization" series, "Second Contact" follows up on his WWII series where a race of lizards simply known as "The Race" have landed on Earth & taken over parts of the Southern Hemisphere. Fast forward to the 1960s & the aliens themselves are preparing to try to colonize Earth while the nations of Earth continue to work toward ridding themselves of their alien cohorts. Turtledove's story is a complex round of characters, places & events that keep ...more
Chad J
I have found the entire World War Series interesting and entertaining. I do find that Turtledove tends to repeat information in his books to often, its not like his readers can't remember information from one book to another!
Also Turtledove should stop writing sex dialog. Sorry buddy, you are just not very good at that.

What Turtledove is great at is presenting history from an alturnate reality. I find the books captivating and wanting more. Could stand a little less of hearing (And I Great You S
Boyd
A new Cold War? Find out in this alternate timeline.
Holden Attradies
I went into this not sure what to expect. Not from the writing quality, I have enjoyed pretty much every book by Turtledove I've read, but by where the story was going. I have to say, I was pretty pleasantly surprised. I think this has to be my favorite in the series so far, although I feel like I've said that with every book in the series. I'm not sure if it's that Turtledove becomes a better writer with each book he writes or the story has just had a chance to really fold out and stretch it's ...more
Matteo Pellegrini

Mentre sulla Terra è in corso la Seconda Guerra Mondiale, improvvisamente una flotta d'invasione di una razza aliena attacca il pianeta, con l'obiettivo di annetterla al suo impero interstellare. Ciò produce un vero e proprio trauma sulle culture umane, che, per conservare la propria libertà, si vedono costrette a rovesciare le alleanze e a coalizzarsi contro il comune nemico.

Rao Kasibhotla
The book can certainly be a third of its size. Suggested cuts : lengthy commentary on how bad nazis are (we don't need alien invasion to know that), lengthy recital of life of Jewish people under Nazis, how ruthless Soviets are and how great American people are. In other words, real history only with aliens thrown in for suckers like me.

Good concept art the end, but boring narrative.
Text Addict
I have a feeling I've read this book before, but I'm not sure. Frankly, I think the story would be more interesting *without* the regrettable effects of ginger on the female aliens. Not to mention less annoying. The specter of a Germany and France that have been under the Nazis' thumb for two decades is also deeply unpleasant.

Still well-written, though, while still being unsurprising in almost every respect. But hey, I guess if the formulas work, why mess with them? At least he avoided the trap
Marshall Layne
Beautifully constructed mosaic structure, but there are too many story lines going on at once, and there isn't enough space-race science.
Scott Gardner
Not a patch on the original series , was still a good read though
Ruru
Haven't read alternate history for a while, not usually something I search out (and sometimes I try and avoid it altogether if it involves Nazis). Well, this one does involve Nazis, but I don't have much choice in NYPL ebooks that I can read on my Palm. This is one my better ebook finds; the aliens are well-developed, many of the humans are interesting, thoughtful characters (though some feel stereotypical), and the plot (the uneasy co-existence of the two Races), while it moves slowly, is intri ...more
Peter Pier
Continueing.
Alternate History... of course, highly interesting. Hehe, I just wait for the tales after this one, Wiki says: we will even overcome The Race, and even conquer. THATS a little ahead, but still. I like it. At least a tale that covers thousands of pages- of which Im fond of. Yep.
Never spare me my unreality.
Hehe;-) !!!
I just guess- that, reading this, it is finally made clear that humankind might be a force to be considered. In the long run, the very long one.
My opinion.
There are still
Marc Gersen
This is the best Harry Turtledove book I've read yet
Lorenzo
Dopo la serie Invasione inizia una nuova serie: Colonizzazione. La guerra finita sono passati 20 anni e la Razza ormai fa parte integrante della Terra in una pace instabile e precaria. Gli usi e costumi di due specie nate su mondi diversi si stanno mescolando per dare vita a qualcosa di completamente originale. Ma dopo la flotta aliena di invasione arriva la flotta dei "civili" che si aspetta una Terra ormai conquistata e pacificata. La realt ben diversa e tutti dovranno farci i conti. Da legg ...more
Steve
pretty typical second act. Lots of backing and filling. I hope the next one is better
Voss
Una storia bellissima, con personaggi reali e inventati uno più affascinante dell'altro.
Ma scritto male male male.
Occorre una forza di volontà enorme per non scagliare il libro dalla finestra.
James
The first volume in the four-book series picking up where the WorldWar series left off. The author brings back virtually all his key characters from the earlier series, now a generation older, and introduces new ones, some of them the children of the first set. As always, he blends action, humor, and serious issues; grand politics and individual relationships; and all points of view, human and alien.
Nathan
Twenty years have passed since the Worldwar series. The aliens are still around. The Nazis are still around. Humanity has got into space. A cold war is in play. Espionage and state-sponsored crime are the activity here. Finishes with no climax - obviously the series was one book cut into three. Rated M for some violence, drug use, moderate coarse langauge. 3.5/5
Bicefalus
ehi ma proprio durante la seconda guerra mondiale dovevano arrivare gli alieni ?
e come mai gli alieni sono sempre pià lenti e crapuloni degli umani?
unico difetto d iquesto libro sono i troppi punti di vista daranno si una visione d'insieme del tutto ma si perde il filo e poi io tendo ad appassionarmi sempre e solo ad una delle trame ....
Emma
Jul 10, 2011 Emma rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed Turtledove's Worldwar series
Recommended to Emma by: Tony
Shelves: fiction
The continuation of Turtledove's Worldwar series is even better than its predecessors! Lots of intrigue, a slim and focused (for Turtledove) plot and super awesome new characters! Read my full review @ my book review blog.
rytr_1
Mar 01, 2008 rytr_1 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in history and/or science fiction
Maintains the consistency of the overall Worldwar/Colonization series of books. In fact I liked it a bit better than the four Worldwar novels, though this may be because it's an alternative take on the 1960s, one of my favorite eras in history. Held my interest very well.
Kurt Vosper
The aliens are back...and they still are not happy. Can humans put aside our differences to kick some? Seems unlikely. Again, worth the read for the historical facts and figures sprinkled in against the mediocre sci-fi.
Brentman99
Dec 03, 2013 Brentman99 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who read the Balance series
The Balance series taken to the next logical point in the timeline. I love the way that Turtledove uses his large cast and how the story twists and turns. I love his grasp of combat and the flow of the story lines.
Kallierose
I love these alternate history books. This book follows the WorldWar trilogy, with many of the same characters and problems of the previous series. It's well-plotted, fast-moving, and fun.
Will
Good continuation of the World War series. If you like Turtledove, you will like this. I would recommend starting with World War: In the Balance, however, to see if you like his style.
Katrinarex
I was a little disappointed, because I've heard so much about this author. This book is obviously part of a larger series and I felt like it didn't really stand on its own.
John
This sequel series to Worldwar, while still a very enjoyable read, suffers from much padding I think. It would have been stronger as a single massive novel.
Nimblehearse
i thought the book was very good and i loved seeing all my favorite characters from the world war series in here as well.
Gabriele Sorrentino
Altro capitolo della saga dell'invasione. Al solito costruito benissimo. Senti quasi il peso della guerra mentre leggi. Bello
Ronald Edward
The Lewis and Clark sounds more like the first step towards having a major fleet in sol systems asteroid belt.
Doe E.
Too slow for my taste. I read over 100 pages, waiting for the story to pick up. It didn't.
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • 1635: The Dreeson Incident
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • The Two Georges
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Union Forever (Lost Regiment #2)
  • 1942
  • Agent of Vega & Other Stories
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Colonization (3 books)
  • Down to Earth (Colonization, #2)
  • Aftershocks (Colonization, #3)
The Guns of the South In the Balance (Worldwar, #1) How Few Remain (Timeline-191, #1) Tilting the Balance (Worldwar, #2) Striking the Balance (Worldwar, #4)

“You count snouts,” Straha said. “Whichever side can persuade most snouts to join it prevails. It does not have to be clever. It does not have to be wise. It only needs to be popular.” 12 likes