The Distant Summer

The Distant Summer

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Poignant story of a girl who loves two WWII flyers, written by the daughter of suspense writer Jack Higgins when she was just 17.
Published January 11th 1983 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Distant Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Distant Summer

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierKatherine by Anya SetonThe Far Pavilions by M.M. KayeAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
Gems from the Past
258th out of 322 books — 305 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Orphans of Dachau by Anthony Hulse
WWII Historic Fiction
218th out of 427 books — 305 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
This is one of my favourite books. Ignore the risibly inappropriate 1970s cover - this is the haunting story of a teenage girl's brush with bomber crews in Norfolk in 1943, told with accomplished style and maturity by its teenage author.
Linda
I read this book about twenty years ago before I started keeping a list of the books I read. Several elements of it stuck with me and I wanted to reread it. I had no idea of the title, the author, or even the color of the book. I searched in vain. But everytime I came across "Morning is a Long Time Coming" on the shelf at the library I thought, "I found it!" only to be disappointed. One day I made a serious search in Novelist using the elements I could remember. I narrowed down my search to two...more
Tamara
This was one of my favorite favorite books when I was a teen... it never failed to move me, no matter how many times I read it. I loaned it to someone once and never got it back, so at the age of 40 I searched high and low and finally found another copy. I cannot recommend this highly enough. The cover shown on this edition is ridiculous, btw. It was WWII, they would absolutely not look like that, and I feel it does the book a tremendous disservice.
CLM
Oct 03, 2008 CLM rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Darsa
When Kate falls for a gunner in the British Air Force, she is afraid his focus on war will short circuit any possible romance.

Those who like this book would also enjoy the movie, For the Moment, which stars Russell Crowe in what I think was his first North American movie.
Alicia
I first read this book over 30 years ago and it remains one of my favorites. I must have read it at least a dozen times. Last read it maybe 25 years ago and, to this day, I vividly remember how I pictured the ending and how I imagined Johnny's organ playing. Have wrestled with myself over hunting down a copy and reading it again, but I have such fond memories of it that I don't want to overwrite them. A definite MUST READ for every teenage girl.
Hannah
This is the book that got me into reading and one of the few books that I have kept rather than passed on. Its a wonderful love story that as a teen I fell in love with! I still pull it down from the shelf and settle down with a cup of tea to reread this book.
Kiwileese
To say i have read this quite a few times is an understatement, as a teen i read this book dozens of times something in this story really touched a chord with me. I would finish it and then straight away start reading it again.
I am passionate about Lancaster's One of the most beautiful most memorable story's which i simply MUST read again.
Bybee
This was one of my favorites as a teenager. I read the Reader's Digest Condensed version first, then was thrilled to find a real copy at the library. Written when the author was just 17. A lot of modern-day authors can't measure up. Patterson is the daughter of action/thriller author Jack Higgins, who was very popular in the 1970s.
Jenne
I remember reading the Reader's Digest Condensed Book version of this in junior high, and going in to school the next day and imagining all the boys in my class as dashing (yet doomed) WWII RAF officers.
It actually stood up pretty well to rereading, esp. since I think she wrote it at age 16 or something ridiculous like that.
Robin
This was a great, short read. My Book Club is reading it, and it's set during World War II in England. It begins as a grown woman looks back at her diaries of that time, and living near an airbase.
Penny
I have read this short book at least once a year since I first read it at 14 when my mom gave it to me. Just finished it again. I never tire of reading this one.
Sara Murguía
Read it in less than 5 hours and really really liked it. Fast and bittersweet but astonishingly good for being written by someone that was 14 years old at the time.
Patricia Netzler
16 years old and an amazing writer...its a brilliant view of a teenage author about the way life was when people use to really fall in love at a young age...
Julia
A wonderful book about England during WWII, and a very skillfully written romance.
Namekob
Ignore the cover..
Andrew Bovenzi
Andrew Bovenzi marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Amanda Cundy
Amanda Cundy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
F
F marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Josie
Josie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Amy Lee
Amy Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sarah Patterson is the daughter of British thriller writer Jack Higgins, and sadly, seems to have written just this one novel about WWII England.
More about Sarah Patterson...
51 Fat Burning Juicing Recipes: Metabolism Boosting Juice Recipes For Natural Weight Loss and More Energy (Weight Loss Recipes) 50 Superfood Juicing Recipes 51 Fat Burning Smoothies: Smoothie Recipes For Boosting Your Metabolism, Losing Weight and Feeling Great 41 Easy Yoga Poses for Weight Loss The Wart Cure