John Betjeman's Collected Poems

John Betjeman's Collected Poems

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  13 reviews
(This collection comprises all Betjeman's poetry. His work is known both for its range and mastery of poetic form. Collected Poems was awarded the Duff Cooper Memorial Prize and has sold nearly two million copies)
Published January 1st 1979 by John Murray (first published 1958)

Wayne

"A DELIGHTFUL SERIOUS POET"...now THAT grabs me!!!
It insinuates that Both Sides of the Coin are being acknowledged.

Also brings to mind a birthday card my Mum's older sister,Rosie, once sent me which carried the line: "He Who Laughs, Lasts."

In the introduction penned by the Earl of Birkenhead,
he writes of "the abysmal depression sometimes apparent in"
...his verse "and his avowed terror of death."
The use of humour might signify an avoidance of a reality, or a refusal to avoid reality. Dorothy Par...more
Russio
This was my dad's book and a strange shelf-fellow it made with the rest of his reading, centring as it did upon histories of recent conflict (by which I mean WWII and Napoleon). The best-selling nature perhaps goes some way to explain its presence but not fully; it was/is simply an enigma. This meant for a reading on two levels for me: firstly, as a person reasonably well-versed in poetry (pun intended), it appealed on a personal level; secondly it enabled me to play detective for my father's se...more
Duncan
Much of Betjeman's writing took a nostalgic look at a Britain that was disappearing or had been already replaced at the time of writing. I was born over 80 years after Betjeman, however, so while his poetry harked backwards to times within living memory for much of his readership, that era was gone long before my time.

Much of this book being grounded in a time and place I have no experience of, I frequently felt myself unable to really appreciate many of these poems.

Anyone considering reading...more
Karen
I read A Subaltern's Love Song in The Guardian the a few weeks ago, and thought it was pretty funny. It got me interested in learning more about Betjeman and reading more of his poetry. I hadn't really intended to read this whole collection, but ended up enjoying many of the poems so much that I did read the book cover to cover. He has some brilliant poems. I like how he writes about big and sporty women, his teddy bear, parts of London I know and he beautifully describes Cornwall and its coast....more
Larry
Former Poet Laureate of Great Britain John has/had both, in life and death, mixed responses to his poetry. It was only in reading these poems in conjunction with his biography (A.N. Wilson's: Betjeman) that I fully appreciated the majority of them. His struggles with love interests (male and female), his friendships and loyalty with the Mitford sisters and others, his faith; High Anglicanism, his interaction with Catholicism, (interaction with Evelyn Waugh), love of trains and Classic Architectu...more
Diane Ramirez
What a wonderful discovery John Betjeman's poetry is! The intro promised that Betjeman is the type or poet that you want to have at your bedside and I find that to be true. Very accessible, yet somehow more profound than most poetry I've encountered, however fancy the language. There were times I'd ask my husband if he'd like to hear a poem, and I'd read aloud the next one, and we'd both sit there gut-punched afterwards. I am confident that as I continue to live this life and experience my exper...more
h
lovely poems but i can see why betjeman is not much discussed outside the uk. he captures a particular time, place, class, gender of english experience in compelling and daredevil fashion. but much of his particulars depend upon understanding already the code of a man's upper-middle class 20th c. english life. well worth the effort, but for the rest of the world, betjeman requires some effort to crack. beneath the trappings is a poet warmly attuned to the joys and shames of modern life.
Shonna Froebel
I have always liked Betjeman's poems and became more interested in him years ago after reading a memoir by his granddaughter of her grandmother. This collection shows the progression of his work, and led me to discover some new favourites in addition to the ones I already liked. Whether talking about people, nature or life, Betjeman's poetry rings true and does not sound analytic.
Simon Cowan
This book amused me, made me think, even inspired me to write again after a very dry period in my own poems. Definitely a poet I'll be reading more of. Another accessible poet whose work evoked so many emotions.
Wendy Laird
"Slough" is one of my all-time favorite poems, and earned the fourth star. Some say Betjeman is an unsung British poet. I think he is just-enough-sung.
John
Betjeman writes the poems that I could only ever dream of writing... his work is sublime - this selection is superb.
Martin
John Betjeman is my favorite poet. His poems can be witty, thought-provoking, vivid and emotive.
Hazel
Jun 24, 2012 Hazel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've read bits of Betjeman, of course, but I think I should get my own copy of this.
Chris Naylor
Chris Naylor marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Samuel
Samuel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Mayowa Asaju
Mayowa Asaju marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Georgie Spillman
Georgie Spillman marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Neil Davies
Neil Davies marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Dave Hatton
Dave Hatton is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2014
  • The Nation's Favourite: Poems
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Collected Poems
  • Death of a Naturalist
  • Selected Poems: Carol Ann Duffy
  • The War Poems
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Complete Poems and Plays
  • The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • Collected Poems, 1948-1984
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete Verse and Other Nonsense
  • Palgrave's Golden Treasury
  • Divergence (AI Trilogy #3)
  • The Complete Poems
  • Collected Poems
Summoned by Bells The Best of Betjeman Trains And Buttered Toast Selected Poems Tennis Whites and Teacakes