Start by marking “bag of moonshine” as Want to Read:
bag of moonshine

Alan Garner

bag of moonshine

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
'Come here. lad, and I'll tell thee a tale'

Open this bag of moonshine, and all manner of strange and wonderful stories will pour out. Tales of magic and wizardry, mystery and trickery, with boggarts and witches, gowks and hobgoblins.

A spellbinding collection of folklore from England and Wales, flawlessly retold by Alan Garner in the best oral storytelling tradition.

Patrick
144 pages
Published February 5th 1986 by Collins

To ask other readers questions about bag of moonshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about bag of moonshine

Nesa Sivagnanam
May 27, 2012 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking its title from a nonsense rhyme included, this is a wonderful collection of 20 tales and 2 rhymes from England and Wales.

Most are unfamiliar, although almost all contain variants of recognizable elements of European folktales.

They are zestfully told, and their magic is not dark. Compare Joseph Jacob's "Jack Hannerford" with Garner's spirited "up galloped the farmer, all of a dither-a-wack, like a new-baked custard." He gives these tales the pepper of folktelling without letting them bec
Trisha
May 04, 2015 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was completely surprised by how much I liked this one. told as little mini stories, they are twisted fairy tales and other stories. It must have been just what I was ready to read, because I enjoyed it and I was surprised and sad when I hit the last page (because it was so short).
Emilia Brusin
A nice collection of short fairy tales, with many familiar elements. The stories themselves were funny, but I was most impressed by the language and the beautiful illustrations.
A.J.
Mar 22, 2014 A.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection of folk tales/fairy stories. Quick to read - none of them really wowed me, but I do like Garner's use of language.
Dark-Draco
I flicked in and out of this for a few days, enjoying the odd mix of fairytales. The style wasn't as good as his longer novels and for me, the best bit was the illustrations, which has an unusally dark slant to them. I would probably have enjoyed it more if I was nearer the target age!
Deviki
it was a good to read this type of book once in awhile .....this book was fun to read although some of the story had no purpose LOL
Bernard Macdonagh
Brilliant lots of great tellings of some very short stories my fav is Harry Cap and the Three Brothers
"Stick Thump Em!"
Shell
Nov 07, 2014 Shell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book the story's was short but funny will be reading alan garner books.
Samiha
Dec 11, 2013 Samiha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have rated it 3.8 if I could. The stories were completely bonkers!
Judy
Excellent language and quality illustrations by Patrick James Lynch.
Vicky
Robert
Robert added it
Jan 18, 2016
Jenny Marsden
Jenny Marsden marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Tria
Tria marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Erin Ahn
Erin Ahn marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Geebs
Geebs rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Lauren-Grace Kirtley
Lauren-Grace Kirtley marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Kailey
Kailey marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Sep 14, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Duncan
Duncan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Alan Garner OBE (born 17 October 1934) is an English novelist who is best known for his children's fantasy novels and his retellings of traditional British folk tales. His work is firmly rooted in the landscape, history and folklore of his native county of Cheshire, North West England, being set in the region and making use of the native Cheshire dialect.

Born into a working-class family in Conglet
More about Alan Garner...