Start by marking “Stormrider” as Want to Read:
Stormrider

Stormrider (The Rigante #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,003 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Heroes of uncommon courage, and enemies to the death, Ravenheart and Stormrider are unaware that the fate of
the world lies in their hands. Both are destined to be heroes, but one of them is doomed. For a secret, lost in the
uncharted past, has returned to haunt these two warriors as they face the vengeance of an ancient evil. As immense armies of darkness advance, crushin
Published April 9th 2002 by Bantam Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Stormrider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormrider

Steve
Dec 11, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book (for about the seventh time) about a week ago, but this is the first chance I've had time to write a review.

Although, not Gemmell's best work (Sword In The Storm, Midnight Falcon, Legend, Winter Warriors, Waylander II & III, Dark Moon), it is up there with them.

As I've already said, I've read this book (and many others) several times over the years, and there are only so many books that are gripping enough to do that with. Gemmell was always the master at character dri
Debby Allen
Mar 07, 2011 Debby Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Draig Cochland is who the hero of this book.

p 325: "All was silent at the center of the Wishing Tree woods. The ancient standing stones, only three of them upright now, cast long moon shadows across the hilltop. Other pillars lay cracked and broken on the ground, the meaning of the runic symbols carved into the golden stone long forgotten. A black beetle scurried across the surface of one fallen stone, its tiny legs powering it over a written wisdom it would never know."

p 459: "The grass beneath
Jane
Jul 19, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2009
I love David Gemmell novels and like most this one made me cry. It is full of heroes flawed and unsuspected.

It is the final installment of the Rigante books telling the story of Stormrider and Ravenheart. It also is unusal for a fantasy novel, there is magic and swords, but there are also muskets and pistols.

David Gemmell's novels can be a little formualic but that is not necessarily a bad thing. He writes heroic fantasy and does it well drawing you into the story and making you care about the
David
Oct 07, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stormrider is the final volume of the Rigante series. Set in a period roughly equivalent to our 1600's, a civil war breaks out in the land where the Rigante have been dominated for years by the Varlish. The Rigante are roughly equivalent to the Northern Scotish clans and the Varlish are the English.

Stormrider is the spirit name for Gaise Macon, now a successful cavalry general, the son of the Moidart, a man known for his cruel ways.

This book is perhaps the heaviest actual fantasy of Gemmell's
Alex Jones
Oct 01, 2015 Alex Jones rated it it was amazing
I reread this as I was wanting an enjoyable David Gemmell experience and, as I remembered, this didn't disappoint. The book is, on one level, a fun heroic fantasy romp. Tolkien once described fantasy as tragedy that unexpectedly ends well and this novel definitely fits this description, where in battles of good versus evil it all ends well due to heroes - characters who save the day through their skill and cunning. On another level this is an exploration of whether an 'evil' act, when done to pr ...more
Eric
Jun 28, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the earliest fantasy book I read. I bought it in an airport during a trip and one of my earliest English, which is not my native language, novel that is not Harry Potter; ended up finishing before my holiday trip ended. Even without having read the previous novels in the series, it didn't take me long before I understood the story and started enjoying it (I was in 2nd grade of junior high at the time so this book should be pretty light for adult). I wasn't a fan of multiple characters' po ...more
KostasAt
Oct 30, 2015 KostasAt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9/10

In the last book Gemmell treats us with something different this time, with a great war coming up and a really special goodbye for the series.

After the introduction of the new characters in the third book, Gemmell now focuses on a great war coming from the King's army against the Moidart and the Rigante, with Ravenheart and Stormrider facing a great evil.
As for the finale, Gemmell has made one of the greatest, if not the best, endings for this series and I must say, it's really one of a kind
Carolyn
Dec 28, 2015 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Novels of the Rigante: Sword in the Storm, Midnight Falcon, Stormrider, and Ravenheart.

I don’t know how I managed to not have read any David Gemmell before this, considering how much time I have spent lurking in the sci fi/fantasy aisles of every bookstore I’ve ever been to, but I picked the first of these after reading about them on Beth Schaefermann’s site. She doesn’t keep archives posted but I can tell you that the post was titled “Total Bad-Ass Warrior Who Wields Really Big Swords” and does
Andrew Lawston
Apr 22, 2014 Andrew Lawston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience of David Gemmell, and I was very impressed. Stormrider is a cracking fantasy novel which is notable for not being a Tolkien knock-off. It starts with a bang, as an apparently demonic bear pursues a warrior and a small child across a frozen wilderness in a lengthy action sequence. After this, the supernatural calms down for quite a while, and the book's tone shifts to a military novel, chronicling a civil war.

The characterisation is spot on. Characters shift their all
Mayank Agarwal
Jul 03, 2014 Mayank Agarwal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Big Disappointment. Normally if it were any other author would have given 2 star but it being Gemmell i expect so much more from him. Worst book i have read of him (Read about 20 of them)

It's not at all consistent with the previous book in the series(Ravenheart). Personality of most of the characters change in a big way. Also the ending is contradictory.
(view spoiler)

Christian
Jun 17, 2014 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It saddens me to finish reading this book as I know that no more Gemmell books will ever be written. What can I add to what I have already written elsewhere about Gemmell's other works? Incredibly warm and human characters that shine when they are in stage. Complex and human drama without saccharine deus ex machina. Epic and brutal warfare. An easy going pace to the plot. The ending might be a little contrived but that is easily pardoned as it was appropriately and dramatically jarring.
John Cheeseman
Jan 16, 2016 John Cheeseman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only Rigante book I've read and I liked it a lot. I'm a big fan of David Gemmell and although there were no surprises it was good solid heroic fantasy. I think the first quarter was best but it kept me entertained all the way through and I wish the other Rigante books and more David Gemmell books in general would get released as audiobooks
Rebecca Young
I would have given this four stars, but the ending kind of dragged on for me. Too much war and carnage, blood and gore for me! This one focused more on a very evil group of men led by an evil Spirit and it was sometimes too dark for my taste. I loved the characters and their flawed natures...something that seems to be a trademark of David Gemmell in this series, at least.
So, I have to say this would be my least favorite of all four that I have read. But the ending of this was very poignant. It
by Ax
Aug 25, 2014 by Ax rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico
Chiusura del Ciclo

Il ciclo dei Rigante si conclude qui, tra molte pagine di battaglia, gesta eroiche e Magia, in un finale accontenta tutti, vivi e morti, grazie a uno stratagemma a effetto il cui peggior difetto è quello di stemperare quanto patito sin lì dai suoi protagonisti, e da chi legge.
Romanzo godibile.
Shima
Feb 06, 2016 Shima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes like now I wonder if reading Gemmell is an extreme masochistic act.
Finishing this I feel a great deal of despair and pain and only a little joy.
So really read it, it's great.

PS. Never thought I'd say this but the Moidart may be one of the best characters ever created.
Mundy Carroll
Dec 31, 2015 Mundy Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great end to the series. Found the end a little of a stretch, and the introduction or increase of the spiritual/demonic almost felt like a bit of an afterthought, but it didn't detract from what has been a great series. Loved it.
Paul
Jan 18, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was loaned the Ravenheart series by a good friend and read it during a summer camping trip to a state forest; one of those trips that the extended family goes on and spends a week at a 4 campsites with tents and picnic tables. I was surprised that I'd never heard of Gemmell at the time, but really loved his storytelling! For the past 4 years, I bring the four Rigante books (Ravenheart, Midnight Falcon, Stormrider and Sword in the Storm) with me for this annual trip and have a great time reread ...more
Pickle
Jan 14, 2016 Pickle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lon
Dec 31, 2010 Lon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the three Rigante novels that preceded it, this novel is wondrous. Gemmell's cast of richly fleshed out characters is extensive, and he roves from one to another as frequently as a soap opera, but, like a master juggler, he keeps all the balls in the air.

Gemmell's death prevents answering the question of whether he would have treated us with another Rigante story, but this novel feels like a satisfying ending. Maybe because, unlike the other three, it comes close on the heels of the novel b
Ed C
Jan 23, 2010 Ed C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-gemmell
The finalé of the series leads to the unexpected. Same great pace as ever, but the focus shifts slightly from one main character of Ravenheart (the preceeding novel) to another as it moves to a great revelation and conclusion. Perhaps the least independant of the series, I think it should at least be read with Ravenheart to add to build up and background, even if chose not to read Sword in the Storm and Midnight Falcon at the beginning. I thought I might be sad to end the series I had been so en ...more
Eric
Feb 25, 2008 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
Although I enjoyed this book, I had higher expectations after reading its predecessor, Ravenheart. This sequel felt a little muddled and disjointed, as it focused much less on select central characters in order to increase the scope of the tale. It was still fantasy of the highest quality, I just have very high expectations for David Gemmell. But even the poorest effort by Gemmell is still be better than 90% of the rest of what is available.
Randy Daugherty
Dec 04, 2010 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
StormRider was a good book, and brought to end the saga of the Rigante.The Rigante joining with the mortal enemies to confront a great evil made for a good story line.I would say that though an excellent read and Gemmell a good author , StormRider was not as good as RavenHeart and previous Rigante novels.I would still reccomend this to anyone into this genre.
Marilyn
Mar 05, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actions from some of the characters were a bit gruesome to me, but all in all, I very much enjoyed reading this book!
Ruth
May 06, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fic
c2002. Made a cardinal error here. Picked this book up at a library sale and did not realise that it was the last book of a series. Nothing on the cover indicatd this as such but it became very apparent in the first few chapters that there was a much more of a background story than was being revealed. mea maxima culpa.
Josh Meares
A little hurried in the ending, a lot of things left unsaid, but that is kind of what we have come to expect from this series. It is not about the ending so much as about the characters themselves. Good book, filled with thoughts on war and peace and how violence and goodness are related.
Strayybullett
Nov 19, 2013 Strayybullett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The last book in the Rigante series and there is no let up every single book is a triumph,I only discovered David Gemmell recently and that is to my detrement his books are really just a complete revelation, fantast at its best, with some of the best characters created in literature.
Manjari
Jun 17, 2008 Manjari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josh
May 23, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the conclusion to the Rigante series, lots of brilliant smaller stories of heroism and honour combine and work within each other amazingly. Gemmell's greatness is in his characters and how he develops them. The history is almost believable.
David
Jul 23, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: heroic-fantasy
The final book in the Rignate series and, while it maynot be as good as the others, it still nicely round off the series. The blurb on the back of the book is a bit misleading, though ...
Thabet
Apr 13, 2013 Thabet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having finished the Rigante Series I have two regrets. 1) not having read it before. 2) finishing all 4 books.

Never liked fiction/fantasy books, but this just captivated me from the first book.
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • Dai-San (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #3)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Center of the Circle
  • The Gambler's Fortune (The Tales of Einarinn, #3)
  • The Seer King (The Seer King Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Magic (The Godwars, #2)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Rigante (4 books)
  • Sword in the Storm (The Rigante, #1)
  • Midnight Falcon (The Rigante, #2)
  • Ravenheart (The Rigante, #3)

“All wars are started by angry old men, but they are fought by young men who die for reasons that are beyond them. In the end, the same old men sit around tables and the war ends. Nothing is achieved. Nothing is gained. New faces move into old castles, and the sons of the dead build families ready to feed new battleground graveyards.” 1 likes