Start by marking “The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Short Stories ” as Want to Read:
The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Short Stories

The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Short Stories

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  13 reviews
6 of the great American storyteller’s best, including "The Outcasts of Poker Flat," "Tennessee’s Partner," "M’liss," "A Protégée of Jack Hamlin’s" and "An Ingénue of the Sierras." Crisply observant, rich in ironic humor, an engaging mix of sentiment and wit, these enthralling tales deeply influenced the American short story, and set a future course for writers of "Western" ...more
Published September 21st 1992 by Dover Publications (first published 1882)

To ask other readers questions about The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Short Stories

Cannery Row by John SteinbeckThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckThe Day of the Locust by Nathanael WestThe Manson File by Nikolas SchreckWhite Oleander by Janet Fitch
Best California Books
21st out of 104 books — 94 voters
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk1984 by George OrwellWatchmen by Alan MooreFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonLord of the Flies by William Golding
Real Man Books
415th out of 515 books — 215 voters

More lists with this book...

Justin Tyler
The edition I have of this book only contains three stories: The Luck of Roaring Camp, The Outcasts of Poker Flat, and Tennessee's Partner. I think that these stories are very well written, and very easy to read. They're very short (around 5000 words each). It took me one hour total to read all three of them, and I read at an average pace.

Contrary to the statements of one reviewer, these stories are not sad; they are realistic. They are, in fact, touching in how real such things as love, innoce
David
December 11, 2010 I had forgotten that I had read this collection of 6 stories. My first review was a one star. My review today is 5 stars. The difference is me. I found the writing to be riveting. The stories are not fast paced but they do hold the reader's attention. The stories have a certain humor to them based upon the human condition and the settings of the story. I started with M'lissa this time instead of the first story. That I think gave me a new avenue into Brete Harte. I found myself ...more
Carol
The last batch of short stories I read must have been in high school - required reading, of course. I'd never much paid attention to the genre because, like poetry, I wanted something longer, substantial, filling. Not to say short stories and poetry don't have merit - Edgar Allen Poe can keep me spellbound, and "The Lady of Shallot" still reminds me of Anne Shirley. I have a poet friend whose work delights me, and who can forget Shakespeare's sonnets?
Point being, I usually read novels. "The Luck
John
I’ve been curious about reading Bret Harte pretty well just because I love Mark Twain so much (even though they evidently didn’t think much of one another) and they’re often compared to one another. Finally, I was inspired to tackle this little collection of some of Harte’s most famous stories. Reading Harte, however, was sort of an odd experience for me, filled with quite a mixture of responses.

I, first of all, just enjoyed Harte’s writing. In fact, that’s the chief comparison I think you could
Bryan Bedell
Commentary: (for the title story only) thus far...

This work is such a nice little treasure. The author does so well to capture such wonderful juxtapositions of sentiment. The story itself captures a subtle poignancy of human nature that is too often scarce or bland in the modern world. His tonal rhythm is exquisite. The delivery and realization of the spirit of this short story is on par with the greats. For a pleasant escape into the nuance of spiritual reverence and nature of man this silver b
KatieSuzanne
I read this because I grew up close to Roaring Camp and wanted to hear some stories about the place, even if they were fictional. Not bad, but not too exciting. I can see how Bret Harte influenced and sometimes even created the exciting sterotypes of gold miners and other kinds of California settlers, but I think I had my hopes set too high for the actual story content.
Charles
A college library had a twenty five volume collected works edition of Harte's work. I read most of that collection and found a number of stories I thought were great little gems, but were unknown to anyone save a Harte scholar - a being I never found.
Grady
Read book before motorcycle trip through gold country and Calaveras County. This book was good preparation. Harte, in his day, was far more famous and popular than Twain. These stories of part of the reason.
Mark
I discovered Bret Harte's stories as a mid-teenager in mid-late 1960s and they have stuck with me ever since. They were among my favorites in that era. I was an insatiable reader throughout summer vacations.
John
Writing this 6years after reading the book but i do remember liking it.Also remember the luck was a child. So it must have been pretty good to remember that about novel.
Sylvia
Light, wonderfully colorful stories of old California, classic American lit. I'd only ever read a few of these stories..they are all good.
Allie
A surprisingly good collection of Western stories with many enjoyable twist endings. Read it for the character descriptions alone.
Erin
Sep 21, 2010 Erin added it
Wish there were negative stars.
Ryan Fasshauer
Ryan Fasshauer marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Dec 19, 2014
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Caroline Mckeown
Caroline Mckeown marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Sibyl Pearl
Sibyl Pearl marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rudyardrussell
Rudyardrussell marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Laina
Laina marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • The Son of the Wolf: Tales of the Far North
  • The Music School
  • Civil War Stories
  • The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian
  • The Blue Hotel
  • Bad Trips
  • Honeymoon In Hell
  • Midnight Mass (Peter Owen Modern Classic)
  • Time After Time
  • دختری که می شناختم
  • The Winner's Circle (Golden Filly, #10)
  • Pittsburgh Noir
  • When Clay Sings
  • Death in the Woods and Other Stories
  • The Dark End of the Street: New Stories of Sex and Crime by Today's Top Authors
  • Complete Poems and Songs of Robert Burns
  • The Journals of Lewis and Clark, 1804-1806
  • Indian Journals
aka Francis Bret Harte

He was born in Albany, New York, as Francis Brett Hart. He was named after his great-grandfather Francis Brett, and his family name was Hart. When he was young his father changed the spelling of the family name from Hart to Harte. Later, Francis preferred to be known by his middle name, but he spelled it with only one "t", becoming Bret Harte.

He moved to California in 1853, l
More about Bret Harte...
The Outcasts of Poker Flat The Luck of Roaring Camp The Luck of Roaring Camp: And Other Stories Bret Harte's Gold Rush Tennessee's Partner