Start by marking “Princess Smartypants” as Want to Read:
Princess Smartypants

Princess Smartypants

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,254 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Princess Smartypants doesn't want to get married; she'd rather live with her pets. Commanded by her parents to find herself a husband, the Princess sets tasks for her horde of suitors. All of the potential husbands fail miserably as the gleeful Princess looks on — until Prince Swashbuckle appears. . . .
Published July 7th 2005 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published March 18th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Smartypants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Smartypants

Sir Princess Petra's Talent by Diane Mae RobinsonThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineSir Princess Petra by Diane Mae RobinsonDealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
Girl Power Princesses
8th out of 89 books — 40 voters
The Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschThe Princess in Black by Shannon HaleDealing with Dragons by Patricia C. WredeThe Princess Knight by Cornelia FunkeNot All Princesses Dress in Pink by Jane Yolen
Unconventional Princesses (and Princes)
9th out of 143 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Feb 12, 2016 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Kickbutt Princesses!!!
Princess

Babette Cole has written many children’s books that seem to feature rebellious children. “Princess Smartypants” is certainly no exception. Babette Cole’s princess story has everything that both an adult and child would gladly appreciate: great sense of humor and a beautiful message about being yourself and standing up for what you believe is right.

Babette Cole did a marvelous job on both the story and the illustrations. The illustrations are as hilarious as they are exuberant. Babette Cole prod
Meg
Sep 05, 2012 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: children
My friends may be surprised that I'm only giving this book 3 stars, because it's about an independent princess who outwits all her would-be suitors so she can live by herself, take care of her pets, and have a good time. And I do like the story... yet, I can't quite put my finger on it, but... books like this and the Paper Bag Princess seem to reinforce the idea that, in order to be a feminist and be independent, (1) you have to be mean to men, because they are bad, and (2) you have to be alone. ...more
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls fascinated with princesses
Princess Smartypants does not want to get married because she likes being a Ms. She wants to live her own life. Her parents want her to get married. She outwits her suitors and lives happily ever after because she doesn't get married.

I LOVE this book! What other book for kids says that girls don't have to get married and can have a complete and happy life without Prince Charming?

Princess Smartypants is my hero!

Every kid needs to read this book!
Rachel
Jan 30, 2012 Rachel rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
My seven year old girls had to reprimand me for my treatment of books as I was hurling this across the floor. From the lowbrow names of "Prince Pelvis, Swimbladder, Boneshaker, Grovel etc. and the overall disrespectful, non-familial attitudes to the man-hating, lying, deal breaking princess this book was feminist rubbish from top to bottom. Even the illustrations left nothing to recommend. I hate to be contrary, but I had to run for the mouthwash to get this bad taste out.
Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it
I know Babette Cole. She has a little-girl English voice, sometimes little-girl clothes, lives on a boat for half the year and is altogether entertaining and eccentric. Although she has written prolifically she says she actually makes her money from selling the original paintings that illustrate her books. And those paintings are superb.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Bonnie - Book Review One - Princess Smartypants 1 3 Sep 05, 2014 02:46PM
  • The Princess and the Pizza
  • The Worst Princess
  • Sukey and the Mermaid
  • My Princess Boy
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • Rumpelstiltskin