Start by marking “The Abhorsen Chronicles (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Abhorsen Chronicles (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1-3)

The Abhorsen Chronicles (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1-3)

4.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  707 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
This paperback collection contains the complete text of the first three beloved bestselling books in Garth's Nix's Old Kingdom series: Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen.

Sabriel
Every step brings Sabriel closer to a battle that will pit her against the true forces of life and death—and bring her face-to-face with her own destiny

Lirael
With only her faithful companion, the Disrepu
Published December 30th 2008 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Abhorsen Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abhorsen Chronicles

Connor Grummer
Oct 03, 2012 Connor Grummer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone (who can take hefty amounts of good writing)
Recommended to Connor by: Found it in my library. Been reading Nix ever since.
The Abhorsen Trilogy started with Sabriel. Sabriel lives in Ancelstierre at the start of the story, a place where charter magic, Garth Nix's own form of spells, doesn't work. Sabriel is the daughter of the Abhorsen, a powerful necromancer who defends against the undead creations made by necromancers. When a shadowy creation appears and tells her that her father is missing, Sabriel goes to the old kingdom, and searches for her father amidst old enemies and older secrets. The story progresses int ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Okay guys, help me decide-- should I get this omnibus edition or do I get each book of the trilogy separately so I have three pretty covers instead of one?
Cate
This is a huge book even by my standards, and to add to the confusion it is one of those that, by some strange reason is known under a different title depending on where in the world you live; for example in the Authors native Australia this book is entitled The Old Kingdom Chronicles. It is also a trilogy that not many fantasy readers appear to know about. As for me it took me some time to actually finish reading this, and that was not due to its size.

The characters in all three of the books, i
Shyla
Apr 10, 2014 Shyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite series. The world building is amazing, especially the rules of magic that exist in the Old Kingdom, from charter versus free magic to whistle-based weather magic to nine watery levels of death. All the leads, Sabriel, Lirael, Sam, and Nick, are appealing, and the mysteries--in Sabriel, the whole Old Kingdom is something of a mystery and Touchstone's past becomes a key point, and in Lirael, her parentage and true purpose--keep the story engaging. These stories have a wo ...more
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were fun books.
Sabriel is pretty much a stand-alone book, but the second two are really one novel - Lirael ends right smack in the middle on a cliffhanger, and Abhorsen starts right where it left off...
The trilogy gives us a dual world - one which very strongly resembles Britain in the early twentieth century - and then, across the Wall, the Old Kingdom, a magical land which is currently in a dire state of anarchy and seriously plagued by the Dead - which rise as zombies and make themselve
Alison
Aug 20, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the moment the Abhorsen entered Death--about five pages into Sabriel--I was hooked. Here was a place I'd never been in a book. And I think that's why Sabriel has a spot in my top ten list of favorite books. Garth Nix has opened a door into a world that's so fully realized and so unique, you can't help but want to go back, even if that world is not always pleasant.

Early in the story, Sabriel discovers that her father, the Abhorsen, is missing. When she first sets out to find him, her missio
Stella Hlavac
Aug 19, 2014 Stella Hlavac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this trilogy several times since I first picked up Sabriel and each time has been as good as the first.
The characters are great, and it's particularly awesome to have such a variety of female characters, none of whom exist just as a romantic plot point. I also really enjoy the magic - it's a different kind of magic to most other fantasy books I've read, which is really refreshing and always interesting. Death, which plays a pivotal part, is also done quite differently, but done extre
Kathryn
Jan 20, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This was a really fun read. It had wonderful character a creative and intriguing setting and a wonderful story. I have only ever read one one other trilogy straight through (the lord of the rings and an unfair comparison). While it lagged a bit at the beginning of the second book, having to re-establish the world and the characters for new readers or those that had read the book years before. The second book picked up speed and launched straight into the third. I found that the attachment, excit ...more
Andreas Manessinger
I've read this omnibus edition because I didn't have the trilogy as ebooks and because it included Clariel, a new part that I didn't know anything about, especially not how it fits into the framework of the trilogy. I deeply enjoyed Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, so this is more or less about Clariel.

I gave four stars, and if it were not for Clariel, five wouldn't have been enough. Clariel is very much different from the rest of the Old Kingdom books. This is OK in that it does not interfere with
David Cockin
Apr 04, 2013 David Cockin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Old kingdom chronicles is a trilogy - a series of books. I decided to read this trilogy because first, I had nothing else to read, and later on, because I found out it was a really entertaining - a book where the modern ( sort of) world lived side by side with a world of magic. The book creates an exciting conflict that goes on within the realm of magic where a force of evil plots to use the modern world to gain its terrible goal.

A character I found interesting was, naturally, the main chara
Jessica McNeany
Jun 24, 2012 Jessica McNeany rated it liked it
Shanna
I've read this series before and have enjoyed it thoroughly.
Sabriel: This book is filled with mystery, suspense, action, and adventure. I love it so much .
Lirael: I didn't remember this book when I started it again, so reading it from a fresh perspective helped me realize this story focuses on Lirael and Touchstone's son, Prince Sameth and how they're both trying to learn how to become what they are destined to be. There's a plentiful amount of action and,
Susan
Oct 17, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Finished book 1 Sabriel. Absolutely loved the book. fascinated by the character Mogget, wanted to know more about who/what this character is/was and why it is connected with the Abhorsen. Loved Sabreil, loved Touchstone, and love Sabriel's father (some nice, touching father/daughter moments in this book). Liked the magic system and the way the magic world sits right next to the non-magical world. sad that it had to end, but now onto...

Book 2, Lirael. I was a little worried that I wasn't going to
Abby
May 04, 2009 Abby rated it liked it
A trilogy set in a fantasy realm separated by a wall from a WWI-era England-ish country demonstrates that no wall can truly stop the dead from their goal. The Abhorsen Chronicles republish the three books with an added short story at the end. The stories are entertaining, with enough quirks and eccentricities to make it unique, and the characters are fleshed out, particularly the second and third books. Everything is not given out at once, though many answers are predictable, but the discovery i ...more
Flo
Oct 29, 2014 Flo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I don't actually own this copy, I just like grouping series into one heap. I loved this trilogy. I loved the characters (even the ones I hated) and was utterly mesmerised by the strangeness of the storyline. I highly disliked the idea of the Old Kingdom as it was portrayed (I mean I loved it in the series, it worked really well and was excellently written - I just always imagined it as a bit dark and dreary and somewhat joyless, and found myself reaching for happier fiction when I was done), and ...more
Claudia Brown
Jan 20, 2016 Claudia Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Garth Nix and his books. The Old Kingdom Collection is an amazing series with a lot of characters that I have grown to love as I have read this series multiple times. I love the world he creates and how these characters are so strong and at the same time flawed.
I am sure nostalgia will bring me to read this series many more times.
Sean
Apr 04, 2015 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read but for some reason I'm a little underwhelmed with the detail in fleshing out the world and magic mechanic. While coming off to me as a rather unique world, I don't remember being really intrigued with how it works like I was for the Wheel of Time series or even Eragon. Maybe I'm just getting old! These four books do, however, span three completely different protagonists, each with their own character flaws and motivations, which made each book stand out from the rest. Howev ...more
Trever Eymard
Nov 19, 2015 Trever Eymard rated it it was amazing
A re-read, I tore through this because it's impossible to put down. Nix's world is so immersive that you lose yourself; this is the best kind of fiction.
Leeanne Kilpatrick
Jun 19, 2016 Leeanne Kilpatrick rated it really liked it
A must read for science fiction fantasy readers..... Should be up
There with Tolkien.
Gavin
Dec 15, 2015 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the different magic system and the fusion of WWI era Europe with the fantasy Old Kingdom. The characters are all interesting and appealing with a sense of humour although this was a bit uneven at the start of the third book. To me this managed to be an interesting fantasy about stopping the Bad Guy without falling into too many of the classic fantasy tropes. Recommended.
Youmna Rabie
Aug 31, 2012 Youmna Rabie rated it it was amazing
All I can say is this: WOAH. Original, fast-paced and filled with unexpected twists, The Abhorsen Chronicles are absolute must reads, if you truly want to know what the Fiction genre is all about. Garth Nix portrays the characters and scenes flawlessly (as always) and with the perfect amount of detail: you don't feel like it's dragging on pointlessly but at the same time you're not clueless. The perfect amount.

I loved this trilogy.
May 12, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sabriel practically never goes back on the shelf. It's such an amazing story that has some aspects of romance, but really focuses more on the story and the magic. Lirael is a little long, and definitely (for me) the weakest of the original three, if only because she and Sam are so wrapped up in self-pity. The Dog is the best part of that book. Abhorsen comes back swinging, though, and I can't wait to pick up Clariel.
Aug 19, 2010 Laura marked it as to-read
I've only just read Sabriel thus far, but I can already see why this trilogy has received praise from readers and reviewers. Excellent world building, a unique premise and a strong female protagonist make this an enjoyable, fast read. Although labeled "young adult" adult fans of fantasy will find this equally enjoyable.
Kcatty
Apr 24, 2015 Kcatty rated it it was amazing
This is the copy I have, and I've always been a little uncomfortable marking all three books as "I has it" and "college" when in truth they're all in one volume.

(One volume, btw, that I found at a bookstore in New Jersey for $20 during a music trip. Honestly it was the only good thing that came out of that trip.)
Clark Cutchin
Oct 01, 2011 Clark Cutchin rated it it was amazing
Loved this series. Although YA, I really loved the characters, the world creation and the magic used in the book. A very interesting take on necromancy, an intriguing story, and at towards the end I stayed up until 3 in the morning because I had to see how it ended.
Ever
Jan 16, 2009 Ever rated it really liked it
An amazing series, with characters I am sorry to leave behind (especially Lirael). The only weakness I can see is the story's sense of place; there aren't many details that really tie the reader to the world. The characters, however, are amazingingly built.
Emanuela V
Feb 23, 2014 Emanuela V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Da sta gente c'è solo da imparare. Una delle migliori trilogie mai lette. La figura del Nocromante è costruita magistralmente, così come la discesa agli inferi. La magia fischiata è una genialata irripetibile.
Ber
Oct 03, 2010 Ber is currently reading it
Maybe 5 or so chapters into the first book... I've met the main characters, somewhat interested, but I don't feel like I really care what happens yet. Maybe as I get further into it...
Claire
Jun 17, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. The characters are great, you get straight into the action and the use of magic is fantastic. I'm always looking for the next old kingdom book or short story.
Alissa Nolan
Mar 28, 2014 Alissa Nolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an almost 5 month read-a-loud for our family. Everyone loved it, from my 10 year old son me,the mom.

It is an epic and often dark tale, but so worth the journey!
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • Summer of Two Wishes (Cedar Springs #1)
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
  • The Shiny Guys
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • Skammerens datter 1+2 (Skammerserien, #1-2)
  • Magic's Child (Magic or Madness, #3)
  • Hour of Need (The Laws of Magic, #6)
  • The Paradise Trap
  • The Animal
  • Talus
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • Mate Night: Kane (Southern Shifters, #2)
  • Treasure Lost
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Midnight Reflections (Preternatural Investigation Agency, #1)
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De