Start by marking “Headless” as Want to Read:
Headless

Headless

"Headless is fearless, fun, and sometimes filthy . . . an alphabet soup of -delight in language. Eat up."
—Alice Sebold

"Brilliant. Wildly inventive, profane, and hilarious."
—Bret Easton Ellis

The author of the acclaimed cult classic Dear Dead Person ("refreshing, nauseating, hilarious"—Kirkus) returns with this long-awaited collection of brilliantly written and outrageously
Published February 1st 2004 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Headless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Headless

William Thomas
Jun 08, 2009 William Thomas rated it did not like it
i couldn't get past the fourth story. i'm sorry. i just could not finish this book and it is one of four i have ever put down before i have finished. and i mean, i finished jurassic park for christ's sake. but i could not get over the pomposity and arrogance and self-centered prose of these stories, it just bled right through, the smug little smarmy smile on hi face behind every one of the pieces. normally, i like this type of content, the quirky, the witty, the filthy. but not this time.
Tosh
Oct 30, 2007 Tosh rated it it was amazing
Benjamin Weissman is one wild author and if he was the driver - you better hold on for dear life. The beauty of his short narrations is that he's an excellent driver and you as the rider should just say 'hey you drive, and I sit here.' Why he's not super famous with a death cult devoted to him is beyond me. He's great.

Mark
Feb 06, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
One out of every hundred or so books literally makes me laugh out loud, and this one did it. Weissman is really good at hitting you out of nowhere with absurdist, crass humor stated very matter-of-fact-ly.

I can't quite give it five stars, though, because the quality is somewhat inconsistent, which is especially easy to notice because the three (in my opinion) best stories come at/near the beginning and end of the book, so the middle is a relative disappointment.
Kevin
Nov 13, 2007 Kevin rated it liked it
A bit of a disappointment after the great Dear Dead Person so many years prior, but there are a couple of really good stories mixed in with the so-so ones. Get Dear Dead Person for a real thrillride though--that collection is truly great.
Kyle Likens
Jul 05, 2017 Kyle Likens rated it did not like it
3 out of these 22 selections are worth a damn. the other 19 are juvenile and badly written, shock for shock value. I'm a huge fan of transgressive fiction but not every goddamn story has to do with fecal matter. to be quite honest, I only bought this book as a cover buy for the quote by Bret Easton Ellis, a writer who I greatly respect. but he was wrong with this trash.

one of the worst reads of the year.

read only for:

*Marnie
*Cliff
*Pink Slip of Wood

and maybe
* Enchanted Forest.
Juan Alvarado Valdivia
Jan 25, 2009 Juan Alvarado Valdivia rated it did not like it
I revisited this book after reading it in my early twenties. Back then, I was blown away by this book; I loved how brazenly bizarre, absurd, and short a story COULD be, but now that I'm grizzled I just couldn't get into this book. Unless I completely missed the point, I felt like Weissman's stories were weird for the sake of being weird. Shocking to be simply shocking. No substance to them. It was mostly fluff (though "Clare" was, by far, the best story, in my humble opinion). I do appreciate th ...more
Tippy Jackson
Nov 14, 2009 Tippy Jackson rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, short-story
Honestly, there was not much in this book that was very memorable and I feel like the author is trying to be more clever than he is. I think "Clare" was the most interesting one, where his friend asks him to knock her up. "The fecality of it all" was funny but gross, as he talks about how he got feces on his computer. A lot of potty humor.
James
May 26, 2008 James rated it did not like it
Not really my cup of tea. If I had picked it up in late High School or early College I probably would of liked it.
Crass, violent, obscure pop culture references, and slightly witty.

I really won't seek out this book.
Jon
Jan 20, 2009 Jon rated it liked it
One of the weirdest books I've read. Deserves high marks for thinking outside the box, for sure. Deserves three and a half
Jamison Spencer
Oct 18, 2014 Jamison Spencer rated it liked it
Still a great writer, but didn't have any stories that really stood out and grabbed me like several in Dear Dead Person.
Matt Henriksen
Feb 06, 2013 Matt Henriksen rated it really liked it
One of only four or five authors that can make me laugh out loud while reading, this book did it on multiple occasions.
Meghan
Jul 27, 2011 Meghan rated it liked it
Extremely bizarre and a little disturbing.
Jennifer Caloyeras
Jan 17, 2015 Jennifer Caloyeras rated it it was amazing
Crazy! In the best way possible!
Kristina
Feb 08, 2009 Kristina rated it did not like it
Most of the stories in this were extremely weird. There was one, "Marnie" that was very good, but also like watching a train wreck.
Bwiz
Apr 19, 2009 Bwiz rated it really liked it
super funny. when they say it's dirty, it's not like sexy dirty
but more like bathroom humour. i wish the library would get his
other book so i could read it too.
Erin
Mar 05, 2008 Erin rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008, short-stories
Disappointing...It seemed like the author was trying too hard to be shocking and edgy. The stories were disjointed and just not at all interesting.
Irus
Oct 28, 2007 Irus rated it liked it
curious, original stories. some better than others. Particularly liked "Tips from the Sensual Man;"Twins;"Enchanted Forest;" "Dear Ares-ski Forum;& "Death by Toilet."
Kilean
Jan 29, 2008 Kilean rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This dude's a wildman. True original and hilarious. I think he's also a painter -- check out everything from this publisher and this series.
Serge
Serge rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2007
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2008
Pete
Pete rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2008
Matthew Taylor
Matthew Taylor rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2010
Arianne
Arianne rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2007
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2007
Mik
Mik rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
May 23, 2008
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Damnation
  • BTW: A Novel
  • The Show That Smells
  • Project for a Revolution in New York
  • The Swing Voter of Staten Island (New York: The Five Books of Moses Bk.1)
  • The Vintage Book of Amnesia: An Anthology of Writing on the Subject of Memory Loss
  • Wide Eyed