KOKO-LOVE! Conversations With a Signing Gorilla

KOKO-LOVE! Conversations With a Signing Gorilla

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In 1972 Dr. Francine Patterson began teaching American Sign Language to a 1-year-old gorilla named Koko. In the longest running animal language exit to date, Koko spent 27 years developing a vocabulary of over 1,000 words.

Even more impressive than the breadth of Koko's vocabulary is the way in which she uses these signs to express herself. Koko is able to do so much more t

Published September 1st 1999 by Dutton Juvenile

melissa
Cute to the point that I can't stand it, I freakin love Koko. I wish I could meet Koko and we could eat bugs and smoke. Yeah, really, I read once that she used to sign to one of her people who had a cigarette "Give hot smoke! Give hot smoke, please!" That's not in this book, though, cause this is a children's book and children want to read about apes that they can look up to.
Michele Farmer
This book chronicles the activities of Koko, a gorilla who has been taught to communicate through sign language. Koko paints, helps to write stories with her teacher, takes care of her kitten, and continues to learn. This heartwarming book would be a wonderful addition to a classroom science library for a study on primates, endangered species, or as an interesting look at sign language.
Peacegal
This is a joyful and picture-filled book that will inform youngsters about just how sensitive and intelligent gorillas really are. Koko-Love will be a fine addition to a humane education curriculum, or one on great apes, endangered species, or animal intelligence.
Carolanne
Gorillas are AMAZING!!!! Although it makes me very sad that Koko was kept in captivity, what she did was amazing!
Amy
Reading Rainbow: Feelings

Really enjoyed learning more about Koko and the other gorillas!
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Ariah
Ariah added it
Jun 20, 2014
Poll
Poll added it
Nov 01, 2012
Frank Spencer
Frank Spencer marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2012
Brooklynn
Brooklynn marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2011
lucy by the sea
lucy by the sea marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2010
Lex
Lex marked it as to-read
May 29, 2010
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2010
Erinn
Erinn added it
Dec 14, 2009
Linda
Linda added it
Sep 14, 2008
Andi Ipaktchi
Andi Ipaktchi marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2008
Meigan
Meigan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2008
Koko's Kitten The Education of Koko The Education of Koko Koko's Story Wadsworth Philosophy Proteus Classics