Start by marking “The Devil's Bargain” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Bargain

The Devil's Bargain

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Katherine Corbet abhors injustice -- and is happy to assist the disturbingly attractive Sir Alasdair St. Erth quash the brazen schemes of a marriage-minded opportunist. But appearing on the arm of the dark, dashing rogue at London balls as his interest will never be more than a sham -- no matter how Katherine's aching heart yearns for more.

This naive country miss is ideal!
Published April 30th 2002 by HarperTorch (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Bargain

Desi
I was sick of the word revenge by the end of this book. I need revenge...yada yada yada. Revenge is mine! ... Behold my magnificent Revenge-y mechanisms! ... And through all this bile the reason for his obsession with his enemies, which might have helped us sympathize, was withheld. While he yapped on and on about what he deserved and his single-minded intent to make his enemies suffer (but mind you, only if he stood over them with the metaphorical knife dripping blood looking directly into thei ...more
Cecy
I thought it an 'Eh' book. It was interesting during the beginning, but the hero's past was drawn out a bit too long and so I found myself skipping through most of the middle just to get to the ending.

There were some cute moments between H&h where he would make her blush for the benefit of their 'charade' but over all not a lot of romance. (view spoiler)
Joy
A man with a dark past and a revenge fantasy about to come true engages in a mostly-fake courtship with the heroine to assist in his revenge. Can he decide between revenge and his new love? Will he be able to protect his new (girl)friend from the dangers in his life? This was actually really good, which is surprising because I remember reading a Layton book years ago and not being impressed at all. Maybe she's hit-or-miss, or maybe my taste has changed.
penelopewanders
Quite good story although the revelation about the cause of the hero's need for revenge is drawn out a bit too much through the book - we know something unforgivable has happened, but don't know what until right at the end... Dialogue not quite as sparkling and book as a whole not as witty as some of Layton's other books, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Alex
Didn't quite enjoy this book; actually I didn't eveb finish....I thought Edith would do a story for Sybil, but she really was just a secondary character
June
very weak in romance side. does not feel the moment the two started falling in love or how they really felt about each other.
Terri
One of Edith Layton's better novels. I particularly liked the heroine in this story.
Alicia Paape
Alicia Paape marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Mel Putri
Mel Putri marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Georgiana
Georgiana is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Karen Robertson
Karen Robertson marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Ashe
Ashe marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Skwadd
Skwadd added it
Apr 19, 2015
Celine
Celine marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Jen
Jen added it
Mar 14, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
K Lister
K Lister marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Anisashraf
Anisashraf marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Netanella
Netanella marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Debt to Delia
  • No Marriage of Convenience
  • A Man for All Seasons
  • Someone's Been Sleeping In My Bed (Faerie Tale Romance)
  • The Mighty Quinns: Teague (The Mighty Quinns, #14)
  • Claiming the Courtesan
  • Loving You
  • The Widow's Kiss (Kiss, #1)
  • The Unruly Chaperon (Historical Romance)
  • Her Montana Man
  • Wolf Shadow
  • No Peeking... (Sex for Beginners, #3)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • The Spaniard's Defiant Virgin (Modern Romance, #711)
  • The Arrangement
  • Take Me (Langley Family Trilogy, #3)
  • The Mysterious Miss M
Edith Layton wrote her first novel when she was ten. She bought a marbleized notebook and set out to write a story that would fit between its covers. Now, an award-winning author with more than thirty novels and numerous novellas to her credit, her criteria have changed. The story has to fit the reader as well as between the covers.

Graduating from Hunter College in New York City with a degree in c
More about Edith Layton...
The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1) To Wed a Stranger (C Series, #6) The Cad (C Series, #1) A Bride for His Convenience The Chance (C Series, #3)