Start by marking “Cross-Shattered Christ: Meditations on the Seven Last Words” as Want to Read:
Cross-Shattered Christ: Meditations on the Seven Last Words

Cross-Shattered Christ: Meditations on the Seven Last Words

In Cross-Shattered Christ, theologian Hauerwas offers a moving reflection on Jesus's final words from the cross. This small and powerful volume is theologically poignant and steeped in humility.
Published January 1st 2005 by Brazos Press

To ask other readers questions about Cross-Shattered Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross-Shattered Christ

Blink by Malcolm GladwellThe First Pillar by Roy HuffA Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le GuinEverything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran FoerProof of Heaven by Eben Alexander
2013 A
38th out of 109 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Josh Gaudreau
Mar 29, 2013 Josh Gaudreau rated it liked it
This was my first introduction to both Hauerwas and "the seven words last words" as a unique study, and, while in the intro he says it's much different than his other work, I didn't find it as moving or insightful as I'd hoped. A few times I wondered at his interpretation of some of the sayings (e.g. Jesus telling Mary to "behold your son" as referring to Himself and not the beloved disciple).

Having said that, I'm glad I read it, and found that it provoked me to think about Christ's death-words
Markus
Apr 22, 2013 Markus rated it it was amazing
Short but hard, heavy, haunting, and beautiful book...
Nathan Barton
Aug 28, 2016 Nathan Barton rated it it was amazing
Challenging and open ended meditations on the last seven words of Jesus on the cross. As he states from the start, Hauerwas doesn't intend to hand the reader answers but rather allow the reader to sit and contemplate the outrageous, scandalous, world ending and life giving love of God that the death of God on the cross reveals. In this task, Hauerwas superbly succeeds.
Christopher Kanas
Aug 31, 2014 Christopher Kanas rated it liked it
Shelves: christ-centered
This little book packs a punch in it's powerful expose of a detailed analysis of the crucifixion. Be aware however, that this is not an intro book to Christ and the crucifixion. This is a book more designed for Christians who are familiar with the story as many of the elements in the book presume the reader's knowledge in the events surrounding the crucifixion and does not seek to expand on many area's that are basic in structure to the story.

I like Hauerwas's opening observation that Christiani
Tim
Jun 20, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it
Excellent mediations for Good Friday on the seven last words of Christ. Hauerwas is sharp as always.

"Mystery" does not name a puzzle that cannot be solved. Rather, "mystery" names that which we know, but the more we know, the more we are forced to rethink everything we think we know.

I think nothing is more destructive for our ability to confess that the crucified Jesus is Lord than the sentimentality that grips so much that passes for Christianity in our day.

Sentimentality is the attempt to ma
Joel Wentz
Mar 24, 2016 Joel Wentz rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully-written, haunting little book. The chapters truly are "meditation" - not quite as light as "devotionals," but not quite as heavy as theological readings - rather, they are short and poetic reflections on Christ's words. Reading this book (especially in one sitting, which I recommend) will draw you deeply into Christ, particularly his humanity, at the peak of his suffering. Hauerwas brings a deep humility and honesty to his examination of Christ's final words. It's both hear ...more
Brandon Wilkins
Apr 12, 2014 Brandon Wilkins rated it it was ok
I feel icky giving a Hauerwas book 2 stars, but Cross-Shattered Christ was incredibly obscure. Even just connecting sentences together into thought units was very difficult. In almost every chapter, save the first, I struggled to even understand what the thesis or main thought was.

Hauerwas does come from a different theological tradition than I do, and thus I do have different opinions from him on several issues. Nevertheless, I do typically find it enjoyable and stimulating to read his work. Un
Kristian Kilgore
Sep 17, 2013 Kristian Kilgore rated it really liked it
Stanley Hauerwas is a theologian and professor at Duke Divinity. He is also a brilliant voice in the dense theological waters of our day. What strikes me most about Hauerwas, in the things I've read by him (which, truthfully is limited) and in the lectures and talks I've been able to find online, is his dedication to speaking about the Bible and Christianity with a remarkable level of confidence (without being arrogant) in what he believes to be true. He is a needed contributor to the Christian ...more
Andrew
Apr 01, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy Week Reading

Hauerwas offers some compelling thoughts on the 7 last words of Jesus. Short, deeply theological meditations that have me considering the 7 words in new ways. Some thoughts on Mary ("woman, behold your son") were new to me, and his reflections on Eli Eli lama sabachthani we're integral for me a few years ago when I read a similar reflection in his Brazos commentary on Matthew.
Perrin
Mar 26, 2016 Perrin rated it it was ok
I found it unnecessarily obscure and difficult at points. There are parts of this book that are brilliant, but many times I found myself wondering just what he meant by a particular phrase. It is a book that calls for meditation on his meditations and I didn't find it worth the effort.
Mac
Feb 14, 2015 Mac rated it liked it
This isn't a 3-star book. It's a 5-star book interrupted occasionally by 2-star book. When he's on in these sermons, Stanley is on. But sometimes, he's not. Still worth reading as a spiritual exercise.
Roland Clark
Apr 17, 2014 Roland Clark rated it it was amazing
A nice collection of wisdom and mysteries in only a few pages. See my full review here: http://andthewordsbecamebooks.wordpre...
John Ham
Feb 04, 2014 John Ham rated it really liked it
Excellent Lenten devotional
Apr 04, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Very insightful, with a meditative quality and tone appropriate to the subject of the book and to Lent. I highly recommend it, especially as a Lent/Holy Week devotional. Hauerwas approaches Christ with a reverence, fondness, and sense of otherness that illuminates the seven last words. Most provocatively, he gives a drastically different interpretation of some of the words than that which would seem most natural to us 20 centuries, half a world, and two languages removed.
5greenway
Mar 03, 2016 5greenway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insights that prompt re-reading.
Steffi Greeff
Dec 25, 2014 Steffi Greeff rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
I did not enjoy this book. I felt that Hauerwas gave a very clinical, apathetic perspective on the sufferings of Christ. The flow of the book was disturbing; he jumped from one idea to another without linking the ideas. To me it thus seemed as though the book consisted only of unholistic ideas without any systematic thought processes involved in writing them down (something he also did in The Peaceable Kingdom of God).
Andy
Jul 23, 2012 Andy rated it it was amazing
This has become an essential read for my yearly Lenten devotions. You must be willing to wrestle with the text, however. The seven last words of Christ on the cross are some of the most challenging words ever spoken, and they strike at the root of our shared humanity, unearthing our failings and illuminating Christ's own example and his singular work.
Brett
Jan 20, 2008 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: devotional
Focused on His seven final statements from the cross, Cross-Shattered Christ emphasized Jesus’ divinity on the cross. The mystery and power of grace are in perfect view upon the cross. Hauerwas’ devotional work is stirring, but sometimes difficult to follow. B+
Steph
Jan 01, 2014 Steph rated it liked it
Stimulating. Short chapters, sometimes inaccessible trains of thought (felt a bit condensed sometimes).
Sean
Oct 03, 2011 Sean rated it liked it
A good short devotional that would be good to read during Lent. He is unclear at times throughout, maybe because this isn't the style he is used to writing to, but overall there are many good points to ponder and reflect on.
Mike McNichols
Oct 20, 2010 Mike McNichols rated it it was amazing
Christian ethicist and theologian Stanley Hauerwas offers poignant insights into the classic last words of Christ.
Kristin Jona
Sep 24, 2008 Kristin Jona rated it really liked it
The text and the images together make this a lovely book for meditation and prayer, especially around Easter.
Lisa
Oct 03, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I read it at least four times a year...especially during the Lenten season. Wonderful!
Stan
Jun 04, 2012 Stan rated it it was amazing
A short and achingly beautiful contemplation of Jesus' words on the cross.
Carl Amouzou
Carl Amouzou marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Elizabeth Swift
Elizabeth Swift rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Rusty
Rusty marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Kirk
Kirk marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Chuck Mcknight
Chuck Mcknight marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Brenton
Brenton rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
  • For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  • The Pastor as Minor Poet: Texts and Subtexts in the Ministerial Life
  • The Wound of Knowledge: Christian Spirituality from the New Testament to St. John of the Cross
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth
  • Jesus, the Final Days: What Really Happened
  • Evangelical Theology: An Introduction
  • Change The World: Recovering The Message And Mission Of Jesus
  • The New Parish: How Neighborhood Churches Are Transforming Mission, Discipleship and Community
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • John Cassian: Conferences (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life
  • Illumined Heart
  • Slow Church: Cultivating Community in the Patient Way of Jesus
  • Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
  • How Your Church Family Works: Understanding Congregations as Emotional Systems
  • Refractions: A Journey of Faith, Art, and Culture
Stanley Hauerwas (PhD, Yale University) is the Gilbert T. Rowe Professor of Theological Ethics at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. He is the author of numerous books, including Cross-Shattered Christ, A Cross-Shattered Church, War and the American Difference, and Matthew in the Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible.

America's Best Theologian according to Time Magazine (2001), though

More about Stanley Hauerwas...