Start by marking “The House of Forgetting” as Want to Read:
The House of Forgetting

The House of Forgetting

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
From the author of the highly acclaimed literary novel Carry Me Like Water comes a stunning, dramatic psychological thriller that delivers on every level and reaffirms Luis Arrea's claim that Benjamin Sàenz is "writer with greatness in him." In The House of Forgetting, seven-year-old Gloria Santos is taken by Thomas Blacker from the barrio of El Paso, Texas, to Chicago. Th ...more
Published April 25th 1997 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The House of Forgetting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Forgetting

Vicki
Mar 15, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I loved this book, and was engrossed in the story. This is the second book I have read by Saenz, and leaves me wondering...why is he not famous or popular? His books are better than most "bestsellers" I have read.
Mei-Amadis
May 21, 2016 Mei-Amadis rated it really liked it
Un excellent thriller, fascinant, dont la tension va en crescendo. Benjamin Alire Sáenz réussit une fois de plus à dépeindre des personnages complexes qui sonnent juste, qu'on les aime ou qu'on les déteste. Un presque coup de cœur !
Iris
Feb 17, 2015 Iris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty engaging although not terribly original. I did like the characters and felt they really propped up the slow-moving plot. The ending could've been more substantial. It felt abrupt and rushed to some degree.
Kathryn
Dec 17, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The House of Forgetting was a captivating book. I'm not even sure how I came about owning this. It was simply in my drawer and the next thing I happened to put my hands on. I'm very glad that I did. This book is especially relevant considering simlilar real life situations that have come to light in the last few years.

Gloria is a chanllenging charicter to read. After being kidnaped she had a tough life but still remained a kind and caring person. However, her attachment to her captor was uncomfo
Hillary
Sep 30, 2014 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a good story. Typical creeper as a kidnapper. All the characters had predictable reactions and the ending felt like it was rushed and ended abruptly.
Jill
Feb 27, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A facinating story that dwelled very little on the physical abuse and instead delved into the psychological abuse and consequences resulting from twenty-three years of captivity. The recent true life story of a kidnap victim living in a tent made this seem more real. How Gloria overcomes her lack of socialization is a page turner. Jenny and Murph were great supporting characters, characters being the key word. And Thomas is indeed a cruel villan who doesn't believe he has done anything wrong eve ...more
Katie
Apr 07, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mdbc, love
LOVED this book. It had me hooked not 20 pages in!
The characters all had their own baggage, but the interaction and levels of each of them were magnificent. Each and every one of them was well developed. I have to say my favorite character was Sandy (Alexander Murphy), but Jenny and Gloria came a close second.
The story was amazing, I was gripped by it. It was fantastic and fabulous- I'm going to recommend it to my book club for next month :)
Mmars
Dec 03, 2011 Mmars rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a fascinating start, but for me, just didn't hold up. What started as a psychological study ended up a more typical crime novel. I could tear it up more, but typically, I'm not a crime novel reader so let's just say I was disappointed that that the police and detective segments seemed so stereotypical faced with a story line that certainly was not.
Sandy
Nov 05, 2013 Sandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book against my better judgment. It is so full of cliches and bad similes that it hurt to go on. The characters' thoughts are constantly rehashed as if the author could think of nothing new to write. Thumbs down.
Erica
Jun 05, 2012 Erica rated it liked it
Not what I expected. We don't get to hear very much about Gloria's time in captivity; most of the story focuses on Gloria's getting adjusted to the outside world and her lawyer and police lieutenant.
AbbyJ
Dec 03, 2011 AbbyJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed learning about Stockholm syndrome and how it affects victims, family members, and society. Loved the quirky and stoic characters.
Vani
May 30, 2011 Vani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy Guy, yeah he was a lunatic. I loved that part of this book takes place in El Paso. I liked the story, an easy fast read. I won't forget it.
Sarra Lord
Nov 05, 2010 Sarra Lord rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2010
The premise was really interesting, but there wasn't really enough action. Large sections of the book dragged. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.
Kristina
Aug 29, 2010 Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
A Psychological thriller that was worth the effort. I thought all the characters were well developed. Overall an interesting read.
Mars
Feb 25, 2011 Mars rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Fascinating story of overcoming psychological abuse. Bonus points for accuracy regarding Chicago neighborhoods and general culture.
Kay Marley-Dilworth
Haunting and thought-provoking tale of a kidnapping victim, beautifully written.
Kate
Jan 17, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual book, but I think it has a lot to say about what love is.
Barbara
Sep 16, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Good read.
Kathy
Feb 10, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting book
Laura marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Breaklikeafish
Breaklikeafish marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Autumnrose
Autumnrose marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Dot
Dot marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Becky Tonks
Becky Tonks marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
David Bautista
David Bautista marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
What's The Name o...: Girl kidnapped from Mexico? by man living in U.S. [s] 2 20 Dec 12, 2012 03:13PM
  • The Broken Citadel
  • Just Friends
  • Family Heir: A Bigfoot Novel
  • Sometimes the Soul: Two Novellas of Sicily
  • Violation
  • Arabel and Mortimer (Arabel and Mortimer, #4-6)
  • Teot's War (The Song of Naga Teot, #1)
  • Fire and Ice
  • Cape Cod Noir
  • The Night Watch (Resurrection Man, #2)
  • I Kissed a Girl: A Virgin Lesbian Anthology
  • Counter Attack
  • Della's Web: The Many Husbands of a Suburban Black Widow
  • The Piper's Sons
  • The Devil's Mixtape
  • Flood Summer: A Novel
  • Taylor's Ark (Taylor's Ark, 1)
  • The Greenstone Grail (The Sangreal Trilogy, #1)
Benjamin Alire Sáenz (born 16 August 1954) is an award-winning American poet, novelist and writer of children's books.

He was born at Old Picacho, New Mexico, the fourth of seven children, and was raised on a small farm near Mesilla, New Mexico. He graduated from Las Cruces High School in 1972. That fall, he entered St. Thomas Seminary in Denver, Colorado where he received a B.A. degree in Humaniti
More about Benjamin Alire Sáenz...