Start by marking “The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)

The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  706 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Special Agent Paul Chavasse is about to start a much-deserved holiday when he is abruptly pulled back to active duty. He knows that if he's being called into action, a job has gone bad --- and it's about to get a lot worse.

As Hitler's private secretary --- and an influential member of the Third Reich --- Martin Bormann was one of those rare Nazis who managed to simply disa
Published July 5th 2006 by Berkley (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Bormann Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bormann Testament

Brenda
When British Intelligence officer Paul Chavasse, just back on British soil from an extremely tough job, found himself in front of his boss at 4am, he didn’t expect to be sent straight back into danger. But suffering extreme fatigue, he found himself on a train in pursuit of a former member of Hitler’s Reich, Caspar Schultz. Everyone had believed him to be dead, but rumours had surfaced about his being alive and well, and having written a manuscript, which many didn’t want to see the light of day ...more
Bob
An early Higgins (1962) has special agent Chavasse assigned to meet a contact in Germany to arrange for the acquisition of a manuscript written by a Nazi which is supposed to contain names of prominent Germans and others who supported the Nazi party. Hooking up with a team of Israeli agents he comes up with Nazi underground who want to suppress the information in the manuscript. Higgins is always good.
Toni Osborne
Special Agent Paul Chavasse is back on active duty, he knows that if he is called into action, a job has gone bad and it is about to get worse.

Martin Bormann wrote a manuscript exposing former Nazis who are now in hiding, himself being one of them, he disappeared at the end of World War11.The terrible secrets Bormann carries are about to be exposed to the world and some people in power have much to lose if they are revealed. Chavasse must retrieve Bormann's Testament....

I am a big fan of Higgins
Jim
Another good read by Jack Higgins. Only took a couple of days to read it, probably because it was so good.

This time, Nazi big shot Martin Bormann is supposedly alive and offering his memoirs for publication. It purports to name names and there are a lot of ex Nazis, now prospering in the new Germany, who would be fingered as war criminals if the memoirs were published.

Since it is being offered to a British publisher, secret agent Paul Chavasse, posing as a publisher, is assigned to get it. Unfo
dennis barron
The Norman testament

A very fast read with a rather sad ending. An excellent read . Bormann, Hitler's right hand man,apparently had written his memoirs implicating a lot of powerful people. If you liked the Odessa file you will enjoy this!
James Saunders
The Bormann Testament

A very good book. I prefer the Sean Dillon or the Liam Devlin books but this is a very well written book. I recommend it to those that like action thrillers.
Mike
I haven't read this book in eight years but as I continue to add my library of books I've read, this novel by Jack Higgins has stuck with me as a great read after all these years.
Charles
Jack Higgins' first novel, a fast-paced but fairly predictable spy thriller. A fun, quick read, but I'm glad that Higgins became a much better writer over his career.
Layla
Nov 24, 2011 Layla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history students
Written in 1962, this book is best read as a period piece rather then a thriller. It gives insight into German and Israeli politics early in the Cold War. It is also revealing of the level of sexism in that era and how far we as women have come since then.
In the 50 years since it's writing, we have been spoiled by le Carre, Forsythe, and James Bond, so the spy thriller aspect is not that exciting. But this work predates those.

This is a light read, it took me a couple of hours and so I would reco
Peter
excellent story good plot good characters written by an author that i really care for.
Samantha
Jun 02, 2008 Samantha rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: Erik
Shelves: fiction, history
Interesting premise, crappy book. It's one of my least favorite kinds -- the author becomes a Gary Stu in his own work. You could tell that Higgins wished he was as handsome/daring/popular with the ladies/brave as Paul Chavasse. Also, I dislike when the main character meets a woman and falls immediately in love with her ("there was something different that he never felt before, etc") but continues to fraternize with other women.

The only good thing I can say about this book is that it was a quick
Ralph Estes
Poor, written in '62 so early for him. Didn't finish.
Ewald
Thankfully Jack Higgins became a much better writer than this! It is too long to be a short story, too short to be a decent novel. The basic idea of the plot is good, but the story is jumping like a cat on a hot tin roof. But then again, it was published more than 50 years ago for the first time, and I do have a huge amount of respect for his later work. Just didn't like this one book of the many he has written. So not too bad!
Christiana Moffa
Mar 14, 2007 Christiana Moffa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: WWII Fanatics
Nice, easy, fun read about a British secret agent in the early 1960s who is sent to Germany to find a manuscript written by Hitler's private secretery during the war. Apparently, the writings condemn many top officials in various countries for conspiring with the Nazis. If word gets out, what will happen and WHO will be punished? The hunt is a good one to follow...
Carmen
not one of his best stories. not enough character development, too much description of the fighting. A diary has been written naming names of people who were loyal to Hitler, but have remained anoymous. The British intelligence wants to get it, as it names who would have taken over in England if England had fallen. So who ultimately finds it?
Kathy
Picked it up in a used book store in California. Had to go book Martin Bormann. British agent, Paul Chavasse, (a recurring Higgins character) is the good guy, who along with several other "good guys" including a Jewish agent, are up against underground Nazis in postwar Germany. It's a real page turned. Finished it in one day.
Kel
I read this as "The Borman Affair." This book grabbed my attention on page 1 and never let go. A British agent is sent to find the papers of a Nazi who was supposed to be dead. There are a number of people who don't want their connection to the Nazis revealed; they will do anything to keep these memoirs from surfacing.
Craig
A good popcorn book, but it lacks the depth of character that Higgins puts into books like The Eagle has Landed, which is his best book. The climax of this novel is rather fuzzy, the girl's murder almost off-hand, and the resolution of the Bormann plot unsatisfying. It's a quick read but not very rewarding.
Jean
I listened to the audio version of this book. While listening, I thought of the Jason Bourne series, as there are lots of twists and turns, and international intrigue. It seemed to me that the audio version is abridged(?) It was a little over 4 hours long. Perhaps that means the book version drags?
Maureen
What can I say - Jack Higgins is my hero of fiction I loved this book and anyone who enjoys a diversion from the historical, self help, non fictional books, and enjoys a little espionage, this one is for you - maybe!
Oleksiy Kononov
A classic spy novel about a British agent involved in finding Martin Bormann's manuscript which exposes Nazi sympathizers. Not as good as The Eagle Has Landed or Luciano's Luck but worth reading if you like Higgins.
Dan
Second Higgins book I've read after The Eagle Has Landed. A very good mystery thriller involving Nazis and a secret list of traitors. The main protagonist is well written and believable. A good read.
Rebekkila
Sep 02, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Suzanne
I picked it fir it's historical references, and it didn't disappoint me. Great plot, kept it plausible.
Jan
Typical Higgins - a little like James Bond and just as dated. Fun listen though.
Scott
Listened to audiobook on drive from Washington, DC to Frankfort, MI.
Pamela
Wow. Another series that I have to read.
  • The Fourth Order
  • A Game of Spies
  • The Savage Gorge (Tweed & Co. #24)
  • Blood of the Reich
  • The Last Frontier
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • Brandenburg
  • The Revolt Of Gunner Asch
  • Billion Dollar Brain
  • Daddy
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • Pavel & I
  • Silesian Station (John Russell, #2)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Paul Chavasse (6 books)
  • Year of the Tiger (Paul Chavasse #2)
  • The Keys of Hell (Paul Chavasse #3)
  • Midnight Never Comes   (Paul Chavasse #4)
  • Dark Side of the Street (Paul Chavasse #5)
  • A Fine Night for Dying (Paul Chavasse #6)
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)