Start by marking “Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul: Stories About Pets as Teachers, Healers, Heroes, and Friends” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,422 ratings  ·  149 reviews
This collection of stories explores the life-enhancing bonds between animals and people, conveying the unconditional love, loyalty, courage and companionship that animals possess. With stories by: Barbara Bush, James Herriot, Jimmy Stewart, Betty White, Art Linkletter, Gilda Radner, Bettie Youngs and many more.
Paperback, First Scholastic Printing, 403 pages
Published March 2005 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul

Piper
I love animals. I've had this book for a long time; my mother gave it to me as a gift once. I decided to pick it up recently, because I was sad, I had a lot of time on my hands, and I had nothing new to read. I wasn't expecting much, because I don't remember appreciating the book as a kid. I am not sure if the stories were extra touching because they were really great or because I am a pet lover and I was just feeling really emotional at the time... Anyhow, I BAWLED. I sobbed through at least ev ...more
Sophia
This is another goo Chicken Soup Book!! There are times that i laugh till i tear but there are times that my eyes collects tears and my heart aches in pains. This book contains many happiness, joy, but also sadness. I remember read one of the stories called "Friends" by Karen Del Tufo and i have this nostalgic feelings like when my fishes die. In the story, Sam who is a dog was adopted by a couple and later adopted a gray cat named Lighting. Eventually the dog and kitten developed a friendship r ...more
Titish A.K.
Siapapun yang sayang sama binatang mah pasti seneng-seneng aja baca buku ini. Jelas bukan bacaan yang tepat sebagai teman mengantre atau menunggu di ruang publik karena itu sama dengan menangis di tempat umum, haha (Saya nangis waktu membaca buku ini di antrean bank :p)

Untuk buku dengan kontributor superbanyak, sepertinya editor cukup banyak berperan karena saya mendapati adanya keseragaman gaya bercerita. Bukan masalah besar karena gaya berceritanya ya asyik2 aja sih ...

Mari lanjut baca Chick
Charlotte Allen
My all time favorite series. Makes me cry, laugh, wish, hope and dream more than any series I have ever read. I love animals more than life itself so this book broke and relighted my heart overall and over. It took weeks to get over some stories. The tough stuff novel kept me crying way past my bed time. On mothers and daughters I left a little piece of me between the pages. It helped to reunite me with my family more than any series I have ever read before. I couldn't recommend these books more ...more
Lisa James
I had this book, & I think I loaned it to someone. This is a collection of stories that will by turns make you smile & make you sad. But it will definitely touch your heart. I would recommend it to anyone who holds a special place in their heart for their pets, no matter if it's a fish or a dog.
Prerna
PEOPLE WHO LOVE PETS MUST READ THIS!!!
Melissa
Well, I'm home sick and have been dosing myself with "Chicken Soup" all day. And I have to say, it's probably the Powerade making me feel better, not the books. Especially this one, which was downright depressing.

If you couldn't guess, this particular Chicken Soup book is about pets. The feathered and the furred kind and even a little bit of the scaly. While most of the stories seem to be about dogs, there's quite a bit of cats, a few horses, a couple stories about birds, and even one about a sn
Lisa
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul HCI, 1998, 380 pp., $11.61
by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Marty Becker ISBN 0439780403

This book is a collection of varied themed stories. The stories are written by different authors that tells how life changing having a pet is. Many pets in this book are dogs, cats, rodents, horses, or birds.
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul is an amazing book! There are many other books like this one, for people of different souls. This one if for the pet lover'
Alessandra
I just finished this book which I have been reading for awhile now. As I was reading through the pages of the book, I came across the reading a little different than most books are. Usually in most books it's ONE story with chapters, well in this book there are short stories(including chapters) about animals narrated by people. I had to get used to the setup of it. Once I got used to it, it was easier for me to navigate through it. There are many chapters in the index part of the book, & the ...more
Madison Straatman

We all know that a pet is man's best friend. In this book, you will see just how so. This book, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, holds inspirational, humorous and heartwarming stories. Everything from a spotless Appaloosa, to the lesson one man learned from raising a pair of raccoons, to physical therapy with dolphins, this book has quite a collection of touching tales.
Susan Devy
Actually I'm no big fan of Chicken Soup series, yes, it's inspiring yet enjoyable books, but for me it's a boring book.....until I discover "for the Pet Lover's Soul"

Maybe you'll think that I'm a retarded person who laugh and cry for pets, but honestly i find that the bonds between me and my pets is strong, compare to human being.

some of these story really made me cry, and it triggered my memories of my pass pets, especially my dog who died when I was eight years old.

From pets, we learn about lo
Perchta
... I've been longing for little raccoons since I read this (: and I'm afraid raccoons can only be found in zoos in my country... An excellent book if you are a pet keeper or pet lover and do not consider your pet a "thing", but a sentient being with a soul who can enrich your life and yeah - might also make it a little tricky sometimes (:
Therese
May 02, 2012 Therese rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
$1.99

I really don't know how to explain this book except if you have ever had a pet of any kind, be sure to have some Kleenex on hand.

On the other hand, there are stories in here that will teach you and make you laugh. Many of these stories are about cats and dogs, but there are so many other animals and critters represented. Not all were pets as the title suggests, but the ones that were not pets -- Dolphins, deer, a cheat and a field mouse to name a few -- still had something to teach the peop
Lanna A
This story full of stories is probably my favorite book ever. It has humor, and sadness, and happiness combined. It is such a great book, and I read and reread the stories over and over again. I have been inspired by this book for more than enough times, and it will continue to inspire me always.
Andrea
This book is a must read for pet lovers! It tells the tales of many pet owners and what kinds of things they have done for their owners or favourite memories of the pet. Some of them are even stories of their pets (mostly dogs) being heroes to their owners! You will not regret reading this if you are a pet lover! :)
Karen Green Panda
Chicken soup for the Pet lovers soul is just amazing. I read this because its nice to read stories about pets that have come back or that have done wonderful things to help people cope. Recently my dog ran away( someone left the door open); however we know one of the neighbors has him and doesn't want to give him back. The stories in this book really helped me keep up hope that the man will comre to his senses and give us our dog back, or that someone will see him with our dog and stand up to h ...more
Mary
Short little stories. Great for a quick read before going to sleep. If you pick this book up & just want to read a few of the stories rather than the whole book, I recommend these three: Buffalo Games by Gary Paulsen, The Christmas Mouse by Diane M. Smith and Mousekeeping by Faith McNulty.
Sandra Garza
This book is so good. It is filled with emotions that warm your heart. In fact it is so good that it made me cry. This book is about peoples stories about pets and their views.I totally recommend this book especially if you are a animal lover. I do recommend a box of tissues because there is a possibility you will cry. Dont get me wrong not all of the book is sad. There are some stories that will make you smile. Another reason i like this book is because it is divided into a lot of stories and i ...more
Gabrielle
I really enjoyed this book. It is perfect for an afternoon of reading or if you don't have much time and you just want to read a few stories at a time. This book has elements of laughter, sadness and just craziness which makes it perfect for any animal lover.
Tortla
Aug 30, 2010 Tortla rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sappy animal-lovers
If I remember correctly, it is exactly the sort of heartwarming nonsense that the title would lead you to anticipate.

(P.S. I hate chicken soup. That yellow, salty broth makes me nauseous. And the dry chicken, the slimy noodles...there is nothing good about it. I assume that most people have pretty much exactly the opposite association with chicken soup--that it's homey and delicious and filling and decreases nausea. Similarly, I assume that people find compilations of heartwarming things comfort
Jodi
As a pet lover, I of course enjoyed reading all of these wonderful stories about people's relationships with their animals. However, in some ways, I would rather have had fewer stories that were so short in length. Many of the stories left me wanting to know more, or to at least have had a more in-depth description of the animal/person/relationship/situation, etc. I found it really frustrating at times, but all in all, it was a good book to read when I was really tired and needed something easy ...more
Charlotte
May 18, 2013 Charlotte rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any animal lovers
Recommended to Charlotte by: Family
The stories in here were really lovely, some happy some sad but all well worth reading. I find it is the kind of book that you can easily pick off the shelf when you feel like reading something and pick out a section that suits what you feel like reading. Keeping for just when you're in the mood for a few little stories. A must get for any animal lovers out there. I like it because even having read the whole thing, going back to it some stories you forget are in there so can find enjoyment again ...more
Betty
This book is for people who likes animals or people who own pets. This book is about experiences with animals that people had. There is a part about pets passing away and the owners feels really bad because they and their pet have always been together playing and then suddenly the pets pass away. There is stories about what some people think of their pet and its really nice. I personally like animals and want to have a pet but I'm not allowed to have one where I live so that just one thing that ...more
Jessica Stiebel
warmed my soul with cherished and inspirational stories about pets. must read for animal lovers!
CekMoNSter
Collections of real life stories that touches your heart.
Any animal lovers who read will nod in agreement that some of the stories shared between man and animals written in this very special book is very close to their own inner-self. Obviously, there are some part that make me teared up, but the short and simple drama within each chapter was enjoyable and fun to read.Even, those who didn`t like animals before will be touched.
My favourite stories is about cats.NUff said!
Logan
Feb 05, 2008 Logan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Logan by: name withheld to protect the guilty
A well meaning friend game me this book as a gift, I'm sure thinking "Logan loves books. Logan loves animals. Hey, this is a book about loving animals. Perfect!" She was well-meaning, but, unfortunately, this might be the most schmarmy piece of crap I have ever forced myself to sit through. If it was possible to give a review of zero stars i would. Banal doesn't even begin to describe this. Beware if you are feeling peaked, because this drivel is likely to induce nausea.
Jaclyn
I have been buying a lot of these books at thrift stores.
Jennifer Morefield
What a wonderful book. Great stories that were very uplifting!
Nancy Bandusky
This is a delightful collection of stories about - what else - pets. The stories are short and involve different animals (one was about a snake) that impact our lives. Many of these tales are extremely touching and one can't help being moved by them.

These can be read whenever you have a few minutes to curl up with a good story, hopefully with your dog at your feet, your cat in your lap blocking part of the page, and your bird tweeting nearby.
Erin Edwards
Annotation and Comment:
I ordered this book after the success I found with Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul on my school bookshelf. I enjoyed this one even more probably due to the fact that I am so close to my pets. I had tears in my eyes with nearly every story because I found them so emotional. My students have loved this one as well. And, I always like to have some nonfiction choices on the bookshelf.
Chicken Soup for ...: Who are your favorite inspirational authors? 2 6 Feb 25, 2013 04:12PM
  • One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter
  • Ferrets For Dummies
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
  • The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Bad Dogs Have More Fun: Selected Writings on Family, Animals, and Life from The Philadelphia Inquirer
  • Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog
  • Hadiah Terindah (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Lessons from a Sheep Dog
  • Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions
  • Bad Dog: A Love Story
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • James Herriot's Dog Stories

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...
Chicken Soup for the Soul The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women (Chicken Soup for the Soul)