Start by marking “Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification, #1)

Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The fascinating debut of the prequel series to The Trade Pact Universe

This prequel to The Trade Pact Universe series begins in a time before the Clan had learned how to manipulate the M?hir to travel between worlds. Aliens have begun to explore the world of Cersi, upsetting the delicate balance between the Clan and the two other powerful races who coexist by set rules. And
Published September 2nd 2008 by DAW (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Reap the Wild Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reap the Wild Wind

Kernos
Jul 10, 2012 Kernos rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All lovers of Hard SF and Space Opera
Shelves: science-fiction
The book concerns 3 alien species on a planet being visited by alien 'seekers', exo-archologists made up of several more alien species including a token human or 2.

The books strength lies in the development of the 3 indigenous species, their relationship to the planet's ecosystem and to each other. IMO, Czerneda has the makings of another CJ Cherryh in her ability to create believable alien worlds and species. They are very real and appealing.

The novel has features of hard SF and of Space Oper
Kerri
When I first added this book to my To-read list on here, I was a little surprised at how many high ratings it had already garnered. Now that I've finished this excellent start to Julie E. Czerneda's latest trilogy, I find these high marks to be completely justified. This first volume in the Stratification trilogy takes place in the same universe as Czerneda's previous Trade Pact series which concerns Sira and Morgan, only centuries before and starring one of Sira's direct ancestors. Czerneda doe ...more
Michelle Stone
This was my first book by Czernada. I loved it. You can read all the other reviews to get a sense of what it's about. It is a good mix of fantasy and science fiction. Czernada paints wonderful and powerful characters. Her unique grammar for her world is entirely readable. I give stars based solely on whether the book compels me to read on... to read another chapter when I should go to bed. Yes. I loved this book and it prompted me without hesitation to purchase the next in the series. I love tri ...more
Synful
Book 1 of a prequel trilogy to the Trade Pact series, I found it and its main character more interesting than its predecessor. I attribute it to the increased experience of the author now having written for 10 years and several book since. One thing I like most is while there is a mystery of where the people in this series originated and how knowledge was lost, Czerneda drops enough breadcrumbs to keep it interesting. The details are intriguing and they're keeping me reading to find out what hap ...more
Lightreads
One of those books I classify as primitive SF. You know, where some agrarian, technologically backward society comes in contact with far more advanced humans. Here, it's tribes of telepathically gifted people, the descendants of colonists, I presume, who live in precarious harmony with two alien races before they are rediscovered by a galactic exploratory force.

I am always uninspired by primitive SF, and this is no exception. Partly it's just not one of my buttons, and partly I spend the entire
Teresa
I've discovered that Julie Czerneda doesn't finish a story in one book. Ugh!! Now I have to go buy the next in the series...

Aryl Sarc lives on Cersi with two other races, the Oud and the Tikitik. There is an Agreement between the races that says that nothing changes. The Yena Om'ray (the tribe and race Aryl is a part of) have Power (sort of like psychic power: the ability to move objects without touching them; the ability to tell where the others of their race are, even if they are far away; etc
Angela
Julie Czerneda is always a pleasure, and with the new Stratification series in particular, she returns to the same universe of her first book--still my favorite--A Thousand Words for Stranger. This story is set much earlier in the history of the species called the Clan, on their original homeworld, Cersi. In this timeframe, they are a people called the Om'ray, subservient to the two more powerful species of their world, the Tikitik and the Oud. An Agreement exists between all three species that ...more
Tinuke
I really like Julie Czerneda's books and this series in particular. Difficult to know how it would impact as it is a prequel trilogy to another series set further down the timeline. However the Trade pact universe is one of my favourite trilogies and I was not disappointed with the prequel. Am fascinated to see how it comes full circle when she returns to Morgan and Sira. I would recommend this series, but with the proviso that you might want to read the trade pact universe trilogy first, starti ...more
Pax
This was AWESOME. It's not as funny or wacky as some of her others, but that's just fine. It's all rather life and death and struggling to survive. She does a great job of getting you totally hooked on the mystery of the three races sharing the planet and you really empathize with the explorers who've come to try and solve that age-old mystery, while cringing at their ridiculously poor first contact destruction.

She continues to rank as my favorite sci-fi author. Book 2 just came out and it's wai
Samantha
I haven't found a Julie Czernada book that I didn't like. It's been a few years since I read the books farther down in this timeline so I don't remember too many of the details but she seems to be doing a great job at creating the history that will shape and motivate the characters in the later series. This is the kind of science-fiction book I love. It's full of details, imagery, sympathetic and competent characters. I recommend it.
Terry
I enjoy Czerneda's brand of science fiction which avoids cliches and overly predictable plots. This novel starts to provide the basis of the mental prowess of The Clan while featuring engaging characters.
David
This book caught my eye just walking up and down the library aisles. I was pleasantly surprised. I loved it and cant wait to read the rest of the series.
Brian
What a delightful find! Truth be told, I found it in the library clearance bin for next to nothing and grabbed it on a whim. Now I'm tempted to go tell them to put it back on the shelf!

I hadn't heard of this authour previously, but this first book of a trilogy has hooked me for at least two more.

Wonderful world building, alien races who are aliens not the girl next door, and an action filled plot that kept me up late reading just a bit more.

It really doesn't end, of course - it seems I'm a di
Niki Hawkes
Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com

This is easily one of the most unique books I’ve ever read, which is no surprise considering it’s by Julie E. Czerneda. The Stratification series was the only main sci-fi trilogy from her that I hadn’t read yet – I’d been kind of saving them for a rainy day because I knew they were going to be top-notch. And you know what? Reap the Wild Wind gave me everything I hoped for and more!

The setting for this one kind of reminded me of the wonders of Pan
Julie
This was an excellent introduction to the series, it pulled me in from the start and kept me reading frantically until the end. In fact i enjoyed the story so much, that I started read the second book almost immediately after I finished this one.

The characters were solid, especially considering this was the first book in the series, they were well fleshed out and well written, and had a steady growth throughout the story. I found there was enough revealed about them to move the story along, but
Alexandra
I read this thanks to a recommendation from Helen Merrick, who I seem to recall being a massive Czerneda fan. I understand that this is a prequel series, written after the world in question becomes part of a wider galactic network. Not having read the later books, I can't say how an already-fan would respond; but I imagine there are some awesome moments of filling-in-gaps. Because it is indeed a wonderful novel, and I do fully intend to go and find the rest of the trilogy, and probably the later ...more
Robert
I met Julie at Necronomicon 2008 in St. Peterburg,FL. Because she was one of the guest writers I usually buy a book or two to get signed. This is the one I picked up for signing. Most of the time I have never read these authors as was the case with Julie. So this was her first book I ever read and the only one by her so far. However it was good enough that I may read more by her.

As stated in other reviews it is a good development of three intertwined species on the planet Cersi. The story mainly
Edie
Julie Czerneda writes most excellent stories. And this series is one of my very favorites, ever! I first read this series (known now as The Clan Chronicles, I think), starting with her very first novel, A Thousand Words for Stranger. She followed that with 2 more, and then wrote the pre-story of these. So, this time I read them in chronological order: Reap the Wild Wind, Riders of the Storm, Rift in the Sky, A Thousand Words for Stranger, Ties of Power, and To Trade the Stars.

All of the stories
Sally McLennan

It is very rare for me to buy and read a whole trilogy, one book immediately after the other. I usually need a break between books by the same author. Not so with the Stratification series. I bought and devoured the trilogy in one go and I recommend you do the same.

This series marries great characters, great communities set in a realistic and engaging world, and great story. The plot starts with a bang — or maybe a crash is the better word — and the surprises keep unfolding steadily.

If you enjoy

Rick
Pros: Amazingly detailed worldbuilding through the eyes of Aryl Sarc.

Cons: Amazingly detailed worldbuilding through the eyes of Aryl Sarc.

Czerneda does an outstanding job of putting you in Aryl's position - a young Om'ray whose village is brought to a crisis point by the unwitting mistake of Trade Pact visitors (though this isn't explicitly told to you... Aryl, after all, has no concept of aliens). Everything flows naturally from the initial incident and the pro above is correct - you get an i
Morgan
This is her most recent and it isn't as good as her other books. The plot and characters *are* good. However, there's too much obnoxious "sci fi" writing: for the first two chapters it is almost impossible to tell what is going on because she makes up so many words and pretends that you know what they mean. If I hadn't already read the Trade Pact books it would have been hard to care enough to keep going. The main characters are all human/Om'Ray and that prevents her from exploring some of the i ...more
Donald
This is a difficult book, it seems, to read if one has never read any of Czerneda's books set in this world. I was constantly having to think about what was going on, as the terminology is specific to the world and each clan of people moving about. Overall, it was okay, but a bit too "mysterious" to have an idea of what was going on. Aside from the appearance of "Humans" who aren't like the humans on the planet, this doesn't seem to me to be all that sci-fi; for a great deal of it, it could be a ...more
Naomi Stone
Aryl du Sarc is a member of a race called the Om'ray on the planet, Cersi where her people share an Agreement with two other races, the Oud and Tikitik. This Agreement is key to maintaining balance between and survival of the races of Cersi.

Aryl's world is threatened from within and without. On the same day that Strangers (humans) appear and disrupt a key harvest on which her people depend for sustenance, she also discovers a new power that threatens the balance between the races.

This is great
Elizabeth
Can't wait for the next one in the series. Really enjoyed it.
Robert
See my views on "Rift in the Sky".
Jacqueline
It's started! The first book in the new prequel trilogy of the Clan Chronicles(aka. The Trade Pact Universe)! Squeeeeeee!

I was worried that after so many years(publishing-wise and setting-wise), it wouldn't feel connected to the story of Sira and Morgan(from A Thousand Words for Stranger, Ties of Power and To Trade the Stars). No problem-o there! Yay!

Yes, I bought the hardcover...and it wasn't in the discount section...oooooooooooooooooooh..........
Leif Jørgensen
Populated with strong characters this well paced story is the starting point of a tale longer and larger than this single volume.
Julie E. Czerneda's joyful prose is my reason to search out her new books.
Her characters and communities tend to stretch your imagination in novel and humorous ways. And yet there is a consistensy to her stories that makes them very enjoyable.
I hope you will join me and fall for this kind of yarn.
Linda Cavanaugh
My husband recommended this book to me because he thought I might like it. He was right. The plot is a bit overwhelming at first, but in time the disparate pieces do come together quite nicely. It is the first (and best) book of the trilogy.
Neil
A bit slow to start. Not sure I'm completely enamoured with the writing style but I'll try the next in the series as it definitely improved as it went along.
Kelly Flanagan
I loved the first Cersi series, beginning with 'A Thousand words for Stranger' I know this series is going to be just as enjoyable!
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • Omega Games (Stardoc, #8)
  • Regenesis (Unionside, #3)
  • Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Kingdom of Cages
  • Ancient Light
  • Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
  • Brain Plague
  • The Wilding (In Conquest Born, #2)
  • Crossfire (Crossfire, #1)
  • The Color of Distance

Stratification (3 books)
  • Riders of the Storm (Stratification, #2)
  • Rift in the Sky (Stratification, #3)
A Thousand Words for Stranger (Trade Pact Universe, #1) Survival (Species Imperative, #1) Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1) Migration (Species Imperative, #2) Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)