Start by marking “The Forging of a Black Community: Seattle's Central District from 1870 Through the Civil Rights Era” as Want to Read:

The Forging of a Black Community: Seattle's Central District from 1870 Through the Civil Rights Era (Emil and Kathleen Sick Series in Western History and Biography)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Through much of the twentieth century, black Seattle was synonymous with the Central District - a four-square-mile section near the geographic center of the city. Quintard Taylor explores the evolution of this community from its first few residents in the 1870s to a population of nearly forty thousand in 1970. With events such as the massive influx of rural African America ...more
Published July 1st 1994 by University of Washington Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Forging of a Black Community, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forging of a Black Community

fletch
Nov 28, 2007 fletch rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone familiar with Seattle
Excellent and enlightening case history of the Central District: "Racial toleration is meaningless if people are excluded from the vital economic center and relegated to the margins of the urban economy. Seattle, whether in the 1870s or the 1960s, provided substantive evidence of the limits of a racial liberalism incompatible with economic inclusion. Indeed Seattle's apparent success, and its underlying failure, in its race relations paradigm has been its meticulously crafted image which promote ...more
Faye
Apr 28, 2014 Faye rated it it was ok
The best thing about this text was the angle of the scholarship. Meaning, it explored a relatively un-researched population. I found the account too sterile and academic. I guess I prefer my scholarship in the narrative and I was spoiled because I read this right after Leon Litwack's Trouble in Mind.
Enrique
Jan 20, 2012 Enrique rated it really liked it
I enjoy his lectures on the UW channel here in Seattle. I need to read more of his works so that I might see what else he knows about Seattle's rich history.
Mike
Sep 26, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it
I really don't read enough history books to know, but I think this is a pretty solid book.
Judy Rand
Judy Rand rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Robert Mitchell
Robert Mitchell marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Ampersandstone
Ampersandstone marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Frank Lawler
Frank Lawler marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Melissa Amaya
Melissa Amaya marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Miya Cohen-sieg
Miya Cohen-sieg marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Jack Chelgren
Jack Chelgren is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 20, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Dan Hurwitz
Dan Hurwitz rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Percy Kennedy
Percy Kennedy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Taylor Curtis
Taylor Curtis rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Mary Whisner
Mary Whisner marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Malcolm
Malcolm marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jason Allen
Jason Allen marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Norelle Done
Norelle Done rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Cori
Cori rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Emil and Kathleen Sick Series in Western History and Biography (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Great Columbia Plain: A Historical Geography, 1805-1910
  • Mills and Markets: A History of the Pacific Coast Lumber Industry to 1900
  • Radical Heritage: Labor, Socialism, and Reform in Washington and British Columbia, 1885-1917
  • The Battle for Butte: Mining and Politics on the Northern Frontier, 1864-1906