Start by marking “Three Cheers for Tacky” as Want to Read:
Three Cheers for Tacky

Three Cheers for Tacky (Tacky)

Tacky the Penguin is back, this time trying to compete with Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly, and Perfect in the iceberg-wide Penguin Cheering Contest. But will Tacky ever be able to learn the synchronized moves and win the contest?
Published August 26th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 28th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Three Cheers for Tacky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Cheers for Tacky

Tacky the Penguin by Helen LesterAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson365 Penguins by Jean-Luc FromentalLost and Found by Oliver JeffersA Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
Picture Books with Penguins
20th out of 71 books — 46 voters
Song for Papa Crow by Marit MenzinIt's Okay to Be Different by Todd ParrThe Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian AndersenA Color of His Own by Leo LionniChrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
It's Good To Be Me
96th out of 173 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 13, 2013 Savanna rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit, 90s
Summary: Three Cheers For Tacky is about penguins. There is a Polar Cheering competition in which a group of penguins enter. In this group is a penguin named Tacky. Tacky is different than all of the other penguins. He can’t seem to do anything right and the other penguins are worried that Tacky will mess up their chances of winning the competition. However during the competition when Tacky messes up the spectators seem to enjoy it, and Tacky manages to get his team to win.

I liked Three Cheers f
Laura Schroeder
Apr 21, 2009 Laura Schroeder rated it it was amazing
Without question this is my favorite childrens book. It is so much fun. Tacky is the odd ball, he tries very hard to fit in with his fellow penguins but he just can't seem to do it. Nothing Tacky does matches up to the rest of his group. When an iceberg wide cheer competition is held his friends let him join their group, but will Tacky be able to get the cheer right? or will his unluckiness ruin their chances of winning the top spot. Tacky is a very unexpected bird, who can do very unexpected th ...more
Dawn Zachary
Opening: How many of you have been to the aquarium at the Henry Doorly Zoo? I had a friend who worked at the zoo and once she took me inside the penguin exhibit. My friend could tell one penguin from another but they all looked alike to me. Can you tell the difference between them? While we are reading “Three Cheers for Tacky” by Helen Lester, I want you to look at the pictures and notice how the penguins are drawn such as what they are wearing or how they act in groups. We will talk about it du ...more
Nicole Fiene
Mar 08, 2015 Nicole Fiene rated it really liked it
This story begins by introducing the reader to a group of six penguins: Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly, Perfect and Tacky. Right off the bat the reader can see that Tacky is the odd bird out. In the first illustration, Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly and Perfect can be seen straightening their bowties at the top of the iceberg while Tacky is lying upside down at the bottom of the iceberg. The initial impression the reader gets from the first page is that this will be a humorous story.

Each illustra
David Roman
This story has to do with that there were a pack of penguins and all of them were considered normal but one named tacky.All went to school and got educated and learned all there suppose to and then one day at they seen a poster that said for penguins to perform and see witch are the best so all the penguins practiced and got all the steps right except tacky and only once he got them right so they hope at the performance he will do the steps according to the script.All the penguins performing bor ...more
Maggie Sideris
1. Tacky and his friends, Goodly, Lovely, Perfect, Neatly and Angel were at school one day, when they noticed a sign. The poster was for a cheer competition, so Tacky and his friends decided to enter the competition. While the penguins are practicing for the big event, Tacky can't seem to get it together, hopefully the day of, he nails it!
2. I absolutely loved this book. Tacky is such a great character, and wonderful for students to read and talk about. He shows children that it is ok to be diff
Apr 19, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
This book reminds me of the idea of being a nonconformist. Tacky, is struggling to be part of a team cheering going to a competition and the others want him to conform to their standards so they are all the same. When Tacky messes up the finally finds acceptance in the judges and crowd at the competition. As an elementary teacher my caution would be that when reading this book it might be important to point out that Tacky was being himself and not just acting this way to demand attention. He was ...more
Ashley Field
Nov 26, 2013 Ashley Field rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about a group of penguins who are in a penguin cheer competition. One of the birds is named Tacky, and he is an odd bird. Tacky's teammates tell him that he needs to do the cheer properly and wear their uniform as well if he wants to be on their team. Tacky tries his hardest to be like the other penguins and does his best to practice their cheer. During the competition the judges are bored by the uniform cheers that penguins groups have put together. When Tacky and his team go up, h ...more
Maggie Burgess
Sep 17, 2013 Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
This is great. All the penguin schools are competing in a cheering contest, and the WINNERS get big blue RIBBONS. (There's a great image of all the penguins imagining themselves wearing blue ribbons. Tacky pictures his around his feet!)

So after they firmly explain to Tacky that, on a TEAM everybody is the SAME, they practice their routine. Repeatedly. One, two, three - LEFT! One, two, three - RIGHT! Stand up, sit down, say good night!

Tacky has a few... problems with it. Naturally. But he finally
Cesar Lopez
Jul 03, 2014 Cesar Lopez rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014 Kyjafree rated it really liked it
there were six penguins and they learned how to spell there names, count, and read books. they learned a cheer to win a shinny blue bow tie. teams from all over the iceberg came to compete. the judges were board watching all the other teams until Tacky's team came up.
Dec 16, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How can you not love Tacky -- especially after hearing the names of Tacky's chums -- Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly, and Perfect. In this installment Tacky is having trouble learning a cheer. In the end his silliness saves the day -- again!
Jul 01, 2014 Edwin rated it it was amazing
This book is about 5 penguins that went to school.They read books,they wrote their names and they learned their numbers.
There was a certain penguins who wanted to be with the others penguins but they din't want him. Because they tough he was dumb.
Feb 14, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Tacky=awesome. Love how the ways that he is "odd" are the things that make things work for out, and that he doesn't have to conform in order to be happy--or to help others be happy. Great message wrapped up in a fun story.
Jun 25, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: karla
Tacky was different from the others in the team....he just didn't fit in...he was slower, clumsy and not a graceful mover. In the end, that is what the judges were looking for...individuality.
Jan 23, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute book. My daughter and I enjoyed reading it. She was laughing so hard when we got to the end of the book.
May 31, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Today I was introduced to Tacky, by a small group of 2nd graders who are fans of Tacky. The 2nd graders used the oversized big book version on an easel. They took turns being the teacher, using a pointer, and reading this funny story to me (classroom volunteer). What I enjoyed the most is the message that it is OK to be different. It was a fitting choice for these students who have struggled to learn to read. The story is fun and the illustrations are great. After reading this book, I am also a ...more
Jul 14, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rachael by: My sister Deirdre
My oldest sister introduced me to this book when her children were little, and I loved it immediately. Tacky is a great funny character who shows that being different is good. I've read this book to several kids since, who have all loved it, and now have the pleasure of sharing it with my son. The whole series of Tacky books is great, but this is still my favorite.

I think I also like this book because I've often been the odd bird (maybe especially in Relief Society), and it's good to be reminded
Jan 07, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2012
This is another fun book in the Tacky series by Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger. We've read several of these books and always find them to be humorous and silly. They usually celebrate being different and not conforming to society's norms and this book is no different. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Aug 29, 2016 J.J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Good book about individuality.
Shannon Pauley
Feb 20, 2014 Shannon Pauley rated it it was amazing
Great book to use for the Olympics!
Mackenzie Rodeghier
Jan 29, 2013 Mackenzie Rodeghier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book sends an excellent message to readers: everyone is different, but our differences are what make us special! Tacky is the prime example of a misfit; compared to all the other penguins, he is simply chaotic! The other penguins are annoyed with Tacky, but when he saves them all from penguin hunters, they start to see their friend in a new light! This book would be a great resource for teaching children the importance of accepting others and appreciating all our differences.
Mar 23, 2009 Natalie rated it it was ok
Tacky is sloppy and clumsy and he stands out from the other perfectly coiffed penguins in his group like a sore thumb. I'm all for stressing individuality, but I'm not really sold this time.

Tacky's friends enter into a cheering competition and Tacky keeps flubbing up the routine. The judges are bored with all of the perfect penguins so Tacky's awkwardness catches their eye and he wins first place for his group.

Lauren Owens
This is a cute book about a victim of bullying who becomes the hero in the end. I have used this book in a text to text connection lesson integrated with a lesson on emotions that books evoke. The students used the story line to explain how this book made them feel. It is also a good book to read if bullying arises in the classroom to build up the spirits of the victims.
Recommended grade levels: K-2
Sidney Leon
Oct 03, 2013 Sidney Leon rated it really liked it
Three Cheers for Tacky is a silly but influential book. It can teach children to learn to accept how they are and know that good things can come from that. One thing that I really enjoyed is how Tacky seemed to not even care what others thought of him and seemed very comfortable with being himself. I would recommend this book to children 4 years and up.
Tasasha Battle
This book is good at expressing character differentiation. Students can practice character comparison with Tacky and the other penguins. Tacky is a different penguin from the rest of his class. But they desperately try to win the blue ribbon in the concert. Find the book to see if Tacky and his class wins the blue ribbon.
Seher Patka
Sep 16, 2010 Seher Patka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
Tacky wants to join his friends for a cheerleading competition. The team is worried that Tacky will ruin the routine with his clumsiness. However, the team was wrong. The crowd LOVED Tacky's moves, and they win the competition. The moral of the story is to be yourself.
Deborah Harris
Aug 31, 2009 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flop down!
Roll over!
Say what's for supper!

Everyone in our family knows this cheer and it is most certainly beloved. Both my sons laugh so hard they cry when we read this. It's true - Tacky is an odd bird, but he's a nice bird to have around.
  • Penguins
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation
  • Cinderella Penguin, or, The Little Glass Flipper
  • Abe Lincoln's Hat
  • The Bully from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #13)
  • Ruby In Her Own Time
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • The Berenstain Bears' Funny Valentine
  • Mouse's First Christmas
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • Meanwhile Back at the Ranch
  • Me and You
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Georgie (Georgie The Ghost, #1)
  • Guess Who's Coming to Santa's for Dinner?
  • The Little Penguin