Start by marking “Three Cheers for Tacky” as Want to Read:
Three Cheers for Tacky

Three Cheers for Tacky (Tacky)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Tacky the Penguin is back, this time trying to compete with Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly, and Perfect in the iceberg-wide Penguin Cheering Contest. But will Tacky ever be able to learn the synchronized moves and win the contest?
Published August 26th 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 28th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Three Cheers for Tacky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Cheers for Tacky

Tacky the Penguin by Helen LesterAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson365 Penguins by Jean-Luc FromentalLost and Found by Oliver JeffersA Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
Picture Books with Penguins
20th out of 68 books — 38 voters
Song for Papa Crow by Marit MenzinIt's Okay to Be Different by Todd ParrThe Ugly Duckling by Jerry PinkneyA Color of His Own by Leo LionniChrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
It's Good To Be Me
84th out of 147 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
I read this immediately after reading Tacky the Penguin. I found that one a bit simplistic, maybe even a bit didactic, but cute and funny. This one was better. I laughed out loud several times. I loved the page where Tacky considered other costumes. I loved the different cheers the different penguins created. And I loved that the ending was *right* - in the first book it was a chance event that taught the lesson of Tacky's value in being different, whereas in this book Tacky proves his value wit ...more
Savanna
Summary: Three Cheers For Tacky is about penguins. There is a Polar Cheering competition in which a group of penguins enter. In this group is a penguin named Tacky. Tacky is different than all of the other penguins. He can’t seem to do anything right and the other penguins are worried that Tacky will mess up their chances of winning the competition. However during the competition when Tacky messes up the spectators seem to enjoy it, and Tacky manages to get his team to win.

I liked Three Cheers f
Laura Schroeder
Without question this is my favorite childrens book. It is so much fun. Tacky is the odd ball, he tries very hard to fit in with his fellow penguins but he just can't seem to do it. Nothing Tacky does matches up to the rest of his group. When an iceberg wide cheer competition is held his friends let him join their group, but will Tacky be able to get the cheer right? or will his unluckiness ruin their chances of winning the top spot. Tacky is a very unexpected bird, who can do very unexpected th ...more
David Roman
This story has to do with that there were a pack of penguins and all of them were considered normal but one named tacky.All went to school and got educated and learned all there suppose to and then one day at they seen a poster that said for penguins to perform and see witch are the best so all the penguins practiced and got all the steps right except tacky and only once he got them right so they hope at the performance he will do the steps according to the script.All the penguins performing bor ...more
Matthew
This book reminds me of the idea of being a nonconformist. Tacky, is struggling to be part of a team cheering going to a competition and the others want him to conform to their standards so they are all the same. When Tacky messes up the finally finds acceptance in the judges and crowd at the competition. As an elementary teacher my caution would be that when reading this book it might be important to point out that Tacky was being himself and not just acting this way to demand attention. He was ...more
Ashley Field
This book is about a group of penguins who are in a penguin cheer competition. One of the birds is named Tacky, and he is an odd bird. Tacky's teammates tell him that he needs to do the cheer properly and wear their uniform as well if he wants to be on their team. Tacky tries his hardest to be like the other penguins and does his best to practice their cheer. During the competition the judges are bored by the uniform cheers that penguins groups have put together. When Tacky and his team go up, h ...more
Maggie Burgess
Connie
This is great. All the penguin schools are competing in a cheering contest, and the WINNERS get big blue RIBBONS. (There's a great image of all the penguins imagining themselves wearing blue ribbons. Tacky pictures his around his feet!)

So after they firmly explain to Tacky that, on a TEAM everybody is the SAME, they practice their routine. Repeatedly. One, two, three - LEFT! One, two, three - RIGHT! Stand up, sit down, say good night!

Tacky has a few... problems with it. Naturally. But he finally
Cesar Lopez
Kyjafree
there were six penguins and they learned how to spell there names, count, and read books. they learned a cheer to win a shinny blue bow tie. teams from all over the iceberg came to compete. the judges were board watching all the other teams until Tacky's team came up.
Vivian
How can you not love Tacky -- especially after hearing the names of Tacky's chums -- Goodly, Lovely, Angel, Neatly, and Perfect. In this installment Tacky is having trouble learning a cheer. In the end his silliness saves the day -- again!
Edwin
This book is about 5 penguins that went to school.They read books,they wrote their names and they learned their numbers.
There was a certain penguins who wanted to be with the others penguins but they din't want him. Because they tough he was dumb.
Adrienne
Tacky=awesome. Love how the ways that he is "odd" are the things that make things work for out, and that he doesn't have to conform in order to be happy--or to help others be happy. Great message wrapped up in a fun story.
Wendy
Jun 25, 2014 Wendy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: karla
Tacky was different from the others in the team....he just didn't fit in...he was slower, clumsy and not a graceful mover. In the end, that is what the judges were looking for...individuality.
Janet
Today I was introduced to Tacky, by a small group of 2nd graders who are fans of Tacky. The 2nd graders used the oversized big book version on an easel. They took turns being the teacher, using a pointer, and reading this funny story to me (classroom volunteer). What I enjoyed the most is the message that it is OK to be different. It was a fitting choice for these students who have struggled to learn to read. The story is fun and the illustrations are great. After reading this book, I am also a ...more
Rachael
Jul 14, 2008 Rachael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rachael by: My sister Deirdre
My oldest sister introduced me to this book when her children were little, and I loved it immediately. Tacky is a great funny character who shows that being different is good. I've read this book to several kids since, who have all loved it, and now have the pleasure of sharing it with my son. The whole series of Tacky books is great, but this is still my favorite.

I think I also like this book because I've often been the odd bird (maybe especially in Relief Society), and it's good to be reminded
Dolly
Jan 07, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This is another fun book in the Tacky series by Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger. We've read several of these books and always find them to be humorous and silly. They usually celebrate being different and not conforming to society's norms and this book is no different. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Shannon Pauley
Great book to use for the Olympics!
Mackenzie Rodeghier
This book sends an excellent message to readers: everyone is different, but our differences are what make us special! Tacky is the prime example of a misfit; compared to all the other penguins, he is simply chaotic! The other penguins are annoyed with Tacky, but when he saves them all from penguin hunters, they start to see their friend in a new light! This book would be a great resource for teaching children the importance of accepting others and appreciating all our differences.
Natalie
Tacky is sloppy and clumsy and he stands out from the other perfectly coiffed penguins in his group like a sore thumb. I'm all for stressing individuality, but I'm not really sold this time.

Tacky's friends enter into a cheering competition and Tacky keeps flubbing up the routine. The judges are bored with all of the perfect penguins so Tacky's awkwardness catches their eye and he wins first place for his group.

Lauren Owens
This is a cute book about a victim of bullying who becomes the hero in the end. I have used this book in a text to text connection lesson integrated with a lesson on emotions that books evoke. The students used the story line to explain how this book made them feel. It is also a good book to read if bullying arises in the classroom to build up the spirits of the victims.
Recommended grade levels: K-2
Sidney Leon
Three Cheers for Tacky is a silly but influential book. It can teach children to learn to accept how they are and know that good things can come from that. One thing that I really enjoyed is how Tacky seemed to not even care what others thought of him and seemed very comfortable with being himself. I would recommend this book to children 4 years and up.
Tasasha Battle
This book is good at expressing character differentiation. Students can practice character comparison with Tacky and the other penguins. Tacky is a different penguin from the rest of his class. But they desperately try to win the blue ribbon in the concert. Find the book to see if Tacky and his class wins the blue ribbon.
Seher Patka
Tacky wants to join his friends for a cheerleading competition. The team is worried that Tacky will ruin the routine with his clumsiness. However, the team was wrong. The crowd LOVED Tacky's moves, and they win the competition. The moral of the story is to be yourself.
Deborah Harris
Peggy
Flop down!
Roll over!
Say what's for supper!

Everyone in our family knows this cheer and it is most certainly beloved. Both my sons laugh so hard they cry when we read this. It's true - Tacky is an odd bird, but he's a nice bird to have around.
Both the 3 and the 6 year old have requested this one repeatedly, but I have to say that I'm just not a big fan. It's basically the Talledega Nights of picture books -- big on physical and stunt humor. I get it. A little just goes a long way.
Trista
A cute story with one of my favorite characters (as well as a favorite of my second graders). Even though Tacky is an odd bird and has his own way of doing things, that always seems to work out for him and the other penguins in the end.
Samantha
I like that Tacky is a penguin with his own way of doing things. Kids will be interested in this book because it's silly, there're animals in it, and for the fun cheers.I would recommend this book for ages 3-8.
Kia M.
This book was filled with different patterns and numbers. The numbers were listed forwards and backwards. This book could definitely be helpful in a counting lesson for your kindergarteners or first graders.
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Mouse's First Christmas
  • Cinderella Penguin, or, The Little Glass Flipper
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Penguins
  • Ruby The Copycat
  • Ruby In Her Own Time
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Froggy Eats Out
  • The Island of the Skog
  • Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten
  • Piggy Pie Po
  • The Bully From the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #13)
  • Abe Lincoln's Hat
  • Meanwhile Back at the Ranch
  • Curious George and the Dump Truck
  • The Crayon Box that Talked
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
Tacky the Penguin Hooway for Wodney Wat A Porcupine Named Fluffy Me First Tacky and the Emperor