Tacky in Trouble

Tacky in Trouble (Tacky)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Tacky the Penguin goes windsurfing and ends up on a tropical island, captive to an elephant who, upon seeing Tacky’s floral Hawaiian shirt, mistakes him for a bouquet of flowers. The elephant thinks that Tacky would make a pretty centerpiece, so she arranges him in a vase and sets him on her table. Tacky’s fans are sure to delight in the show as Tacky uses all of his best...more
Published May 31st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tacky in Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tacky in Trouble

Tacky the Penguin by Helen LesterAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson365 Penguins by Jean-Luc FromentalLost and Found by Oliver JeffersA Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
Picture Books with Penguins
17th out of 64 books — 38 voters
Tacky the Penguin by Helen LesterThe Wizard, the Fairy, and the Magic Chicken by Helen LesterIt Wasn't My Fault by Helen LesterA Porcupine Named Fluffy by Helen LesterPookins Gets Her Way by Helen Lester
Best of Helen Lester
10th out of 21 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Cheryl in CC NV
This might not be the strongest Tacky book, but it was still tons of fun. I'm still having trouble with the representation of gender in the series, though. Here it turns out the elephant is female... that's good... or, but she's into flowers and pretty things... that's why... argh.
Trista
Tacky finds himself in a heap of trouble after surfing away from his island and winding up on a tropical island where he thinks an elephant is a large rock. The elephant wants a bouquet of flowers on his table and thinks that Tacky in his Hawaiian shirt is the perfect specimen. But, alas, Tacky needs to go home to his friends Goodly, Lovely, Neatly, and Perfect. Tacky stories are always enjoyable.
Lisa
This book could be used for predicting on what is going to happen next in the story. It is about a penguin who sails away and ends up in a jungle and befriends an elephant. He has to figure out a way to prove he is a penguin otherwise he will never be able to go home!
Dolly
Feb 12, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read many of the books in the Tacky series by Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger. We love Tacky's crazy clothes and antics and we can appreciate his uniqueness. The stories are humorous and fun to read aloud and the illustrations are hilarious. We thought this story, with Tacky's trip to a tropical locale, was a fun addition to the series.
Adrienne
Penguins and elephants--two of my favorite animals together! Yay! Funny little story.
Connie
I really like this one.

Tacky, being different from the other penguins, decides to go surfing while they nap. And he ends up in Africa, where he's promptly picked up as an elephant who thinks he's a bouquet! Naturally, his odd behavior saves the day and he ends up home.

What I love about this book is that the other penguins are clearly shown missing him while he's gone, not because he's useful to him (as so often is the storyline), but because he's Tacky.
Matthew
For the first time in my Tacky reading experience, Tacky finds himself in way over his head and just by trying to prove to an elephant that he is a penguin, he manages to solve his problem penguin-style. It was funny and departure from the previous adventures. Still good though.
Heather
28 months - we own one tacky book that O really likes so I grabbed this one when I saw it at the thrift store for $1. A good story but it seemed a bit wordy and long, certainly a story I'll be bored of after a few reads but O enjoys it.
Lara
I didn't know that there were sequels to Tacky the Penguin until just this week. This is a really fun read, like the original. A plethora of silly voices is a requirement, though. This isn't a book for the serious types.
Liz B
This is another book in the Tacky series. My students love these books! Tacky travels on a piece of ice to another place and meets an elephant that wants to keep Tacky's shirt. Tacky's odd ways help him out in the end.
Upstatemamma
This is the first Tacky book we ever read. We love it. It has really cute little songs in it and it is just fun to read. My son asked for it everyday for weeks on end. Then he asked us to find other Tacky books.
Jenni Frencham
I love Tacky and his friends. The books are funny and enjoyable for the adult reading them aloud and for the child listening. And Tacky teaches us to be friends with everyone, even those who are different.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Tacky is an odd duck, er, penguin. However, he shows us that through our individuality, we can be important to each other. Tacky is a classic character who has so much to offer to children.
Mira Domsky
Tacky the penguin continues to cause mayhem with his unorthodox ways. Probably too long for storytime, but would otherwise be fun, as it is very silly.
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, vocabulary, phonological awareness & narrative skills. This is just an adorable little story with lots laughs.
Brianna
This book is so cute!
It is abbout a mischivous penguin that gets in a lot of trouble!
Sharon
I love Tacky! The boys are not as taken with him, but I hope they will come around eventually.
Cheryl
I love Tacky the Penguin. This is about Tacky getting lost and going south where it is warm.
Sarah Lewis
Tacky delights us again in a new adventure in a tropical land. Fun read!
Christina
Not quite as funny as the original Tacky the Penguin, but fun nonetheless.
Theresa
a cute story, learning about friendship... sight word practice
Tracy Beauregard
Tacky is one funny, funky penguin. One of my fave kiddie books.
Don Gubler
Interesting penguin, no oxymoron intended.
Lindsay
Jan 03, 2008 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: storytellers
birds, penguins, winter fun, klutz
Veronica
Absolutely delightful!
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 26, 2014
Laura added it
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • The Night Before First Grade
  • Alphabet Rescue
  • Waddle!
  • A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink
  • Cinderella Penguin, or, The Little Glass Flipper
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • Five Little Monkeys Bake a Birthday Cake
  • Owen and Mzee: The Language of Friendship
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Snowmen All Year
  • If You Decide To Go To The Moon
Tacky the Penguin Hooway for Wodney Wat A Porcupine Named Fluffy Three Cheers for Tacky Me First