Start by marking “Mountains of the Pharaohs: The Untold Story of the Pyramid Builders” as Want to Read:
Mountains of the Pharaohs: The Untold Story of the Pyramid Builders

Mountains of the Pharaohs: The Untold Story of the Pyramid Builders

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  24 reviews
First edition. Signed "with my best Zahi Hawass Cairo 2007". Book is like new, dust jacket is very good with small stain on upper rear corner.
Published August 22nd 2006 by Doubleday Religion

To ask other readers questions about Mountains of the Pharaohs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountains of the Pharaohs

Brad
Zahi Hawass is an important guy when it comes to Egyptology. He knows it, and he wants us to know it too.

He spends a great deal of time in Mountains of the Pharaohs dropping names, asserting his authority when it comes to the possible readings of the artefact record, and sharing anecdotes about his own finds and discoveries. Yet amidst all this self-aggrandizement is some excellent information, and a reassuring vision of how healthy the debate surrounding Egyptian finds continues to be within th
Cameron
If you like Egyptology, you will love this book. If you don't know what Egyptology means, you probably won't love this book. If you are like me, and you really want to like Egyptology but whenever you read anything about Egypt you feel as though your brain is being extracted through your naval cavity, who knows what you'll think of this book.

Mountains of the Pharaohs is interesting in that it endeavors to tell the whole story of how the Great Pyramids were built. It does this with minute detail
Marcia Bennett
Did you know Hawass is a world-famous Egyptologist? Did you know he's responsible for some amazing archeological finds? Did you also know that he's so brilliant that he's discovered ruins completely by accident or after a heart attack? Well read this book and let him tell you! He sure likes to talk about himself!

The fictional narratives at the beginning of each book are the only reason I gave this two stars. They are riveting, but far too brief. He then tries to justify each narrative with the h
Turi
A couple of years ago, I read Zahi Hawass's autobiography, Secrets From the Sand. It covered his career from his start in Egyptian archaeology to his current position as "Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities." I was impressed with his story, and his general outlook. (Unfortunately, I missed an opportunity to see a free lecture he did in Reno a few months ago. Mountains of the Pharaohs is his latest book. It serves as a general explanation of what is known, thought, and debated ...more
Banole
A MOUNTAIN OF DISTORTIONS ENDS IN ZAHI HAWASS'S MOUNTAINS OF THE PHARAOHS

Zahi Hawass has produced another rather sad and sorry book that attempts to transform the ancient African Negro cultures of the Nile Valley into the "Middle Eastern" culture of "Ancient Egypt".
Mr. Zahi Hawass has set for himself an impossible task.

In his mad and frantic flight from the black African realities of his "Ancient Egypt," Mr. Hawass has embraced an extreme form of out of date German Eurocentricism tinged with mod
Andrew Matheson
While I am very interested in the history of the Pharaohs and how the pyramids were built, the book was really hard to follow. The problem for me was a lack of diagrams. The author spent a lot of time explaining features and locations of each find, but you had to try to piece it together in your head. It reads like he was giving a tour but, without the visuals, you are lost. Could be interesting if they added some diagrams or photos of what he is attempting to describe.
David R.
Hawass does a fine job portraying the Egypt of the 4th Dynasty, that responsible for the great pyramids. He imagines the royals, the builders and the laborers. There's ample and lucid material on the pyramids themselves, the lives of people in the shadow of the pyramids, as it were, and a refreshing lack of "ancient alien" style nonsense.
Paula
This was a very interesting book about the Giza pyramids, written by a controversial figure in Egypt today. I was predisposed not to like him from the start. But It was not the pompous book I thought it would be. I find it difficult to understand, however, that not one map was included in the book. Also, Hawass could have included a view more relevant illustrations.
Marguerite Czajka
A low 3 stars - it would have been better if more of the book was written like the end. A lot of descriptions of the pyramids, I would have liked more info on the builders.
Russamun82
Very Enjoyable. This short book was full of new and interesting information so often lost in the thousands of years between the pyramids and our civilization. He begins with the age of the pyramids and Djoser, then on to Snefru and the birth of the true pyramids. He then goes into detail of the construction of the Pyramids of Giza. A must read for any who love pyramids. Hawass has a frank manner of writing which I appreciate, especially his description of the museum holding Khufu's boat as ugly. ...more
Liz De Coster
I found this book to be uneven. The author didn't shy away from using technical terms, and conveyed a good deal of historical information, but the writing was too informal for my tastes. I had a hard time distinguishing the author's opinions from the rest of the text, and at times the book seemed to be written for a middle-school audience, with asides such as, "Just imagine what an energetic man he was!"
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
As someone who is very intrigued by the ancient Egyptian lifestyle and the archeology of it's ruins, this book was definitely worth reading. It gives insight as to how not only the pharaohs of the time but the pyramid builders lived and worked. Mr. Hawass did an outstanding job in giving details on every aspect he could.
Ed
However the pyramids were built, one must wonder WHO did the building. The practical, everyday lives of human beings who actually put the things together is addressed in Hawass' book. While a little dry at times, like the sun-parched sands beyond the Nile, it is still an interesting subject.
Leigh
A lot of detail about the kings and queen and dynasties, all of it interesting but a lot to absorb. I found most intriguing the parts about the lives of the ordinary people who built the extraordinary pyramids. Apparently they were not slaves, as is commonly assumed.
Daniel
Great updated information about the old kingdom period and the builders of the Giza pyramids, but a bit dry and hard to get through
Mark
Aug 11, 2011 Mark added it
Shelves: egyptology
A solid, readable popular history of the 4th Dynasty and the building of the Dahshur and Giza pyramids. A little less detailed than I would have liked, but for the general reader it's a nice introduction to the topic on a human level.
Jpp
Passionné par son métier et fier de l'histoire de son pays, l'auteur oscille malheureusement sans convaincre entre plusieurs styles littéraires...un peu romancier, beaucoup égyptologue, pas du tout historien. Un livre à refaire
Beth
The audiobook edition was interesting, but the narrator sounded bored and listening to him put me into a sort of trance. The material itself was interesting and rates three stars, so skip the audio edition and get it as a book.
Sherrie
I'm not a big fan of Hawass' ego so I read this with a grain of salt. Not a huge amount of new information and many more illustrations to go with his descriptions would help immensely.
April Helms
Jan 17, 2008 April Helms rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults (11+) and adults
A must-read book for anyone interested in Egyptology. The first chapter is a bit dry and repetitive, but the book improves after that. Loved the chapter on the pyramid builders.
Debra
Fascinating because more time is spent on the builders, the common people's life than in most books that I've read.
Sabine Kapasi
gripping...if its ancient Egyptian culture that excites you
Mary Lindsey
You'll never guess what I'm writing about!
MsJess Bridgeman
MsJess Bridgeman marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
. Sara
. Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaohs' Tombmakers
  • Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
  • Nefertiti: Unlocking the Mystery Surrounding Egypt's Most Famous and Beautiful Queen
  • The Mummy: A Handbook of Egyptian Funerary Archaelogy
  • The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt
  • What Life Was Like on the Banks of the Nile: Egypt, 3050-30 BC
  • The Search for Nefertiti: The True Story of an Amazing Discovery
  • Ancient Egypt
  • The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt
  • The Complete Valley of the Kings: Tombs and Treasures of Ancient Egypt's Royal Burial Site
  • Belzoni: The Giant Archaeologists Love to Hate
  • The Tyrannicide Brief: The Story of the Man Who Sent Charles I to the Scaffold
  • The Lost Tomb
  • The Murder of Tutankhamen
  • Nero's Killing Machine: The True Story of Rome's Remarkable 14th Legion
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • The Parthenon
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic Valley of the Golden Mummies The Curse of the Pharaohs: My Adventures with Mummies Cleopatra: The Search for the Last Queen of Egypt Silent Images: Women in Pharaonic Egypt