Start by marking “Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)” as Want to Read:
Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)

Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  3,724 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
In Medalon, Book One of the Hythrun Chronicles, Tarja Tenragen and his half-sister R'shiel were forced to lead a rebellion against their power hungry mother, who ruled Medalon as the First Sister of the Blade. But their mother's defeat came at great cost: not only does it leave Medalon vulnerable to invasion, R'shiel is mortally wounded.

As Treason Keep begins, R'shiel is o
Published June 13th 2005 by Tor Fantasy (first published January 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Treason Keep, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Erica Anderson
Dec 08, 2010 Erica Anderson rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of the Hythrun Chronicles and I definitely recommend that you read the books in order, starting with Medalon. Although I completely enjoyed Medalon, I think Treason Keep is even better. Fallon further develops the strong characters that she introduced in the first book while keeping the pace fast and furious. If you like romance with your fantasy, watch out because dreamy warlord Damin Wolfblade meets his match. The interactions between him and a spoilt southern princess ...more
Steve
Apr 15, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, medalon
I found this rather difficult to put down. While it didn't quite grab me as hard as the first book, it was still incredibly engaging and interesting. Some of the plot twists were a little cruel to some of the characters, but hey, the author is supposed to make the characters lives difficult, or the story would likely lose something. The climax was incredibly delicious, and something I've been waiting for since about the fourth chapter, but then petered off a little, which was a little ...more
Lady
Oct 03, 2016 Lady rated it did not like it
Read for the Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge and the High Fantasy Reading Challenge.

Okay, this book was definitely not my favourite. Mostly I found it frustrating. I found myself skimming through the last half of it to see if it improved and to find out how particular events turned out, but in general I found myself just annoyed.

If you've read my review of the first book in this series, Medalon, you'll find I had some significant critiques. All of those critiques still stand, and indeed
James
Sep 18, 2012 James rated it really liked it
I think that having completed this book I am going to have to say that Jennifer Fallon is now one of my top authors. This tale was... wow. It was full of action, intrigue, skin-tickling magic, fear-inducing horrors, and much more - in fact, everything that would expect from the top of the line fantasy. Four and a Half Stars.

Plot: Four Stars

What really sets this book out for me, is Fallon's ability to do something I normally detest and hate, and make me love it. With the introduction of Adrina -
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Treason Keep, the sequel to Medalon, is more of the same: a fast pace and fun characters overshadow the not-so-tight plot.

Jennifer Fallon keeps things interesting by expertly developing a couple of characters who were briefly introduced in her first book: Damin Wolfblade, an intelligent barbarian warlord (always a good thing, in my opinion), and Adrina, a spoiled princess whose daddy wants to marry her off because he's tired of paying for her escapades --
Lauren
Jul 11, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-fantasy
The political intrigue continues and deepens in this second installment of the Demon Child trilogy. Of course there is also plenty of action & battle, along with a new romantic twist & female protagonist for all you fellow readers who didn't really click with R'shiel the first time around. Just a few new characters & twist, adding just a little more flavor to an already great bowl of awesome.... soup??

As far as new characters go,
I like the character of Adrina. At first I couldn't bri
Marlene
Nov 18, 2009 Marlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I haven't laughed that much while reading a book for a long time. Since the story was not as centered around Tarja and R'shiel as in the first book of the series (Medalon), Treason Keep was even more enjoyable. Fallon's witty dialogue - especially between Adrina and Damin - was very amusing. I look forward to reading the next book (Harshini the Hythrun Chronicles).
Cecile
Jan 16, 2012 Cecile rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, english
This second part of the Demon Child Trilogy is more about loyalties and alliances, while the war against the Kariens is taking place. It's also about the clash of personalities, particularly between Adrina and Damin, two very strong-minded characters, who both have big misconceptions about each over.

But this wouldn't be the Demon Child Trilogy without the demon child, R'shiel. After discovering who she really is, she still has a hard time coming to terms with her destiny. Thanks to her great str
Tina
Mar 20, 2008 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: sff-fantasy
....Aaaand she's back!

Yes. After the disappointment that was Medalon I was nervous that the Jennifer Fallon I had come to quickly enjoy was a fluke. She wasn't. This book had more of the verve and humor that I had become accustomed to in her Wolfblade trilogy. It is probably no coincidence that the writing crackles when she is writing about the Wolfblade characters, namely Damin and Adrina. I get the impression that she had a rollicking good time writing about them in this series so that is what
N.A. Fedorak
Sep 24, 2016 N.A. Fedorak rated it liked it
Decent, bu the series is starting to slow down, and the characters need a bit more development and backstory.
Josh
Mar 21, 2012 Josh rated it liked it
Firstly, can I just point out how incredibly bad my cover is ... I know there is another edition which has a much better cover, but the one I have is terrible. It's so ... nondescript.

It's been years since I read book one of The Demon Child trilogy, Medalon, and so some details were a little sketchy. There were some large points concerning the histories of R'Shiel and the Harshini which eluded me, but I made do. The Harshini make a cameo appearance at best anyway.

Overall I am really enjoying thi
Kelley Ceccato
celestialchild
Jul 31, 2011 celestialchild rated it it was amazing
Sine the first book I was annoyed that the leading female character, R'shiel, lacked much agency and did little through her own decision and action to drive the plot. The story seemed more about Tarja and Brak, who are certainly interesting and likable, but still a disappointment for someone who picked up the story for female characters. This continued through much of this book, until about 85% in, when finally she became a character that took charge.

To my utter delight, however, Fallon introduc
ken
Jun 30, 2016 ken rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Demon Child series, Treason Keep didn't have the sequel slack that I find in most second books. The pacing was just as brutal, nerve-wracking, and amazing as Medalon. There were hardly any slow parts, and the introduction of the Karien and Hythrun side of the world is welcome for the further detail of world-building they contributed to the entire universe.

The ending was a bit expected though. Fallon seems to be fond of (view spoiler)
Kiirsten
Jan 16, 2016 Kiirsten rated it really liked it
Book Two of the Demon Child Trilogy - Book Two of the Hythrun Chronicles

With a deadly wound inflicted on her by her own foster mother, First Sister Joyhinia Targaren, the Demon Child R'shiel is whisked off to the Harshini captial of Sanctuary.

After spending time amongst her half-kin, R'shiel finds she has a harder time deciding she wants to live up to the expected destiny the Primal Gods have set for her.

Things have heated up on the border between the Karien's and Medalonian Defenders and Tarja
Weirdology
May 29, 2011 Weirdology rated it really liked it
Josh
Aug 10, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
a very solid sequel to Medalon. there's a few spots where it drags a bit, and it's mildly frustrating to see certain well-thought out plans far completely apart via the intrusion of extraneous forces, but overall it's a pretty solid middle chapter to a trilogy.

Fallon does some really interesting things with her world-crafting; it's pretty awesome to have an entire nation of atheists running around at the same time as a pack of gods who are fairly active in their intrusions into life. There's als
Raven
Apr 07, 2008 Raven rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned, favourites
I think this carried on from the first book in the series pretty well. It had a nice and steady pace and I had difficulty putting it down.
There were however some problems with it. First it's predictability. I think this one is far more predictable then the first it is also cheesier and has just a bit too much of a romantic element for me but then again I don't read for romance and I don't like girly reads so for someone who might like a bit of a lovie dovie touch to their fantasy this could very
Shari  Mulluane
Sep 21, 2008 Shari Mulluane rated it really liked it
The political intrigue continues and deepens, there is plenty of battle for the mercenary types and there is a romantic twist that adds flavor to an already great story. The Demon Child faces more tempering and tampering by the Gods in preparation for the final showdown with the Demon God Xaphista. The Defenders and Sisterhood face challenges of their own and lets not forget Lochlon, a truly demented soul, he has a major role to play here too.

The characters are fun to watch, the plot is fairly p
Marie
Jun 20, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
I'm trying to figure out what I liked best about this one but it's quite hard to make a choice. Spoilt brat princess Adrina and her plotting and then endless discussions with Damin? Damin himself who turned out to be way too cool for a Warlord? Or maybe Mikel, who seemed so insignificant at the beginning and then turned out to play quite an important role? Decisions, decisions. I'll just repeat myself, this one is as good as its predecessor - different, but just as good. The focus changes a ...more
Ellise
Nov 17, 2014 Ellise rated it really liked it
The was great book!!!! I give it 4 Stars!!!

Jennavier
Jul 09, 2013 Jennavier rated it really liked it
My overwhelming memory of this book is my dad mocking me for the amount of boob the model on the front has. That's really hysterical considering he likes military sci-fi, the cover boob capital of the fiction world. At the time I was just mortified. Considering I loved this book I hustled around with the cover carefully facing me.
Now that sharing time is over, how about I talk about the actual book? Treason Keep picks up with R'Shiel being a fierce warrior maiden, leaving forever behind the girl
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
I think I read this book in about a day? I could NOT put it down. You can hardly tell this is Fallon's second book - it's so well done. There are no weak spots, the characters are incredibly interesting, and just, eeee <3

The dialogue, especially between Adrina and Damin is just so amusing. You almost laugh out loud at it, even if you're reading in the middle of a restaurant when you should be reading.

How can she create characters that are so bratty, and yet you just read them and love them a
David Phipps
Jul 13, 2015 David Phipps rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
Another solid entry in the series. I liked how the person of prophecy started to realize how much the gods have messed with her life and has grown more rebellious to being used as a pawn. The author does introduce a new major character in this book who is somewhat annoying at times. Her bratty behavior gets tiresome at times (especially the constant verbal battles with another character) but she at least grows up some. Another annoying character is a religion-obsessed kid who it seems get used ...more
Tiffany
Mar 07, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This is the bridge book, or middle book for the Hythrun Chronicles. I did enjoy it to help me with my fantasy fix. There was more movement of plot in this book. The characters thought things out, and I absolutely loved the new character, Adrina. She is a Fardohnyan Princess with a bit of attitude.
Many of the old characters are in this book. Brak becomes more of a stronger character. In general, its a goodread since it builds so much more into the world of the Harshini. I would recommend it for a
Tal
although this opened with new and seemingly unrelated characters, the plot soon brought them together with the heros and heroines of the first book.

some things were obvious - the totally denied yet utterly predictable romance, the religious conflict between the three main countries - and some werent. the characterisation of the gods amused me but i wanted to slap some of the main characters.

all in all, a decent read but definitely not a stand-alone book.
William Crosby
Mar 08, 2016 William Crosby rated it it was amazing
Deals with issues of rage, envy, religion, coercion, sexual discrimination, slavery, patriarchy/matriarchy, cultural differences, stereotypes, and alternate perceptions (of the same event and people).

A wide variety of gods, goddesses, and demons abound.
More characters introduced making the book more interesting with R'Shiel being just another character.

I'm tempted to go back to the first book and give it 3 stars just to emphasize how much more I liked this book.
Angie
Jul 18, 2013 Angie rated it liked it
I like Princess Adrina well enough. She makes this book good enough to finish the trilogy.

edit: OH GOD IT'S NOT A TRILOGY, IT KEEPS GOING.

How far can this really be dragged out?

edit edit: Wait, I guess it is a trilogy, but there's other books with related characters so as a set there's a couple of trilogies. That's fine. The Wolfblade character is a lot more interesting than Tarja and R'Shiel, in my opinion.
Jacinta Hoare
Jan 09, 2010 Jacinta Hoare rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2010
Second in a series.

The author has managed to keep the ongoing plot twisting along in this second installment of the Demon Child Trilogy. Some of the story by-lines were predictable and I think there have been a few too many "escapes when faced with impossible odds".

I continue to like the characters in the book and world in which they live.
Sanchita
Jan 18, 2016 Sanchita rated it really liked it
I read this almost continuously over a period of two days. Again, the inimitable writing style that Fallon possesses grabs you by the collar right in the beginning. The characters develop more depth and shades of grey, which is what makes this series most interesting. I'll be sad to finish this one, I'm sure.
  • Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
Fallon is the author of 17 full-length bestselling novels and a number of published short stories in genres ranging from horror to science fiction.

In addition to 4 complete fantasy series - The Demon Child trilogy, The Hythrun Chronicles, the Second Sons Trilogy,The Tide Lords Quadrilogy and the Rift Runners series - Fallon has written both a tie-novel and short fiction for the TV series, Stargat
More about Jennifer Fallon...

Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child (3 books)
  • Medalon (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #1)
  • Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #3)

“I know the gods exist, whether i believe them worth worshipping is an entirely different matter.
Brakandaran té Carn”
7 likes
“Unless you can start some worldwide crime wave, I haven’t the strength to defy him.” 2 likes