Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #2)

Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,873 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In Medalon, Book One of the Hythrun Chronicles, Tarja Tenragen and his half-sister R'shiel were forced to lead a rebellion against their power hungry mother, who ruled Medalon as the First Sister of the Blade. But their mother's defeat came at great cost: not only does it leave Medalon vulnerable to invasion, R'shiel is mortally wounded.

As Treason Keep begins, R'shiel is o...more
Published June 13th 2005 by Tor Fantasy (first published January 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Treason Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treason Keep

Steve
I found this rather difficult to put down. While it didn't quite grab me as hard as the first book, it was still incredibly engaging and interesting. Some of the plot twists were a little cruel to some of the characters, but hey, the author is supposed to make the characters lives difficult, or the story would likely lose something. The climax was incredibly delicious, and something I've been waiting for since about the fourth chapter, but then petered off a little, which was a little disappoint...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Treason Keep, the sequel to Medalon, is more of the same: a fast pace and fun characters overshadow the not-so-tight plot.

Jennifer Fallon keeps things interesting by expertly developing a couple of characters who were briefly introduced in her first book: Damin Wolfblade, an intelligent barbarian warlord (always a good thing, in my opinion), and Adrina, a spoiled princess whose daddy wants to marry her off because he's tired of paying for her escapades --...more
James
I think that having completed this book I am going to have to say that Jennifer Fallon is now one of my top authors. This tale was... wow. It was full of action, intrigue, skin-tickling magic, fear-inducing horrors, and much more - in fact, everything that would expect from the top of the line fantasy. Four and a Half Stars.

Plot: Four Stars

What really sets this book out for me, is Fallon's ability to do something I normally detest and hate, and make me love it. With the introduction of Adrina -...more
Erica Anderson
This is the second book of the Hythrun Chronicles and I definitely recommend that you read the books in order, starting with Medalon. Although I completely enjoyed Medalon, I think Treason Keep is even better. Fallon further develops the strong characters that she introduced in the first book while keeping the pace fast and furious. If you like romance with your fantasy, watch out because dreamy warlord Damin Wolfblade meets his match. The interactions between him and a spoilt southern princess...more
Marlene
I haven't laughed that much while reading a book for a long time. Since the story was not as centered around Tarja and R'shiel as in the first book of the series (Medalon), Treason Keep was even more enjoyable. Fallon's witty dialogue - especially between Adrina and Damin - was very amusing. I look forward to reading the next book (Harshini the Hythrun Chronicles).
Cecile
This second part of the Demon Child Trilogy is more about loyalties and alliances, while the war against the Kariens is taking place. It's also about the clash of personalities, particularly between Adrina and Damin, two very strong-minded characters, who both have big misconceptions about each over.

But this wouldn't be the Demon Child Trilogy without the demon child, R'shiel. After discovering who she really is, she still has a hard time coming to terms with her destiny. Thanks to her great str...more
Nicole
Quote from WORD for Teens:

Jennifer Fallon's books aren't the ones you can't put down - there the ones you like to take slow, a bit at a time, and savor every page of it.

To read the full review, click here.
Shari  Mulluane
The political intrigue continues and deepens, there is plenty of battle for the mercenary types and there is a romantic twist that adds flavor to an already great story. The Demon Child faces more tempering and tampering by the Gods in preparation for the final showdown with the Demon God Xaphista. The Defenders and Sisterhood face challenges of their own and lets not forget Lochlon, a truly demented soul, he has a major role to play here too.

The characters are fun to watch, the plot is fairly p...more
celestialchild
Sine the first book I was annoyed that the leading female character, R'shiel, lacked much agency and did little through her own decision and action to drive the plot. The story seemed more about Tarja and Brak, who are certainly interesting and likable, but still a disappointment for someone who picked up the story for female characters. This continued through much of this book, until about 85% in, when finally she became a character that took charge.

To my utter delight, however, Fallon introduc...more
Weirdology
Josh
Firstly, can I just point out how incredibly bad my cover is ... I know there is another edition which has a much better cover, but the one I have is terrible. It's so ... nondescript.

It's been years since I read book one of The Demon Child trilogy, Medalon, and so some details were a little sketchy. There were some large points concerning the histories of R'Shiel and the Harshini which eluded me, but I made do. The Harshini make a cameo appearance at best anyway.

Overall I am really enjoying thi...more
Lauren
The political intrigue continues and deepens in this second installment of the Demon Child trilogy. Of course there is also plenty of action & battle, along with a new romantic twist & female protagonist for all you fellow readers who didn't really click with R'shiel the first time around. Just a few new characters & twist, adding just a little more flavor to an already great bowl of awesome.... soup??

As far as new characters go,
I like the character of Adrina. At first I couldn't bri...more
Tina
....Aaaand she's back!

Yes. After the disappointment that was Medalon I was nervous that the Jennifer Fallon I had come to quickly enjoy was a fluke. She wasn't. This book had more of the verve and humor that I had become accustomed to in her Wolfblade trilogy. It is probably no coincidence that the writing crackles when she is writing about the Wolfblade characters, namely Damin and Adrina. I get the impression that she had a rollicking good time writing about them in this series so that is what...more
Raven
I think this carried on from the first book in the series pretty well. It had a nice and steady pace and I had difficulty putting it down.
There were however some problems with it. First it's predictability. I think this one is far more predictable then the first it is also cheesier and has just a bit too much of a romantic element for me but then again I don't read for romance and I don't like girly reads so for someone who might like a bit of a lovie dovie touch to their fantasy this could very...more
Marie
I'm trying to figure out what I liked best about this one but it's quite hard to make a choice. Spoilt brat princess Adrina and her plotting and then endless discussions with Damin? Damin himself who turned out to be way too cool for a Warlord? Or maybe Mikel, who seemed so insignificant at the beginning and then turned out to play quite an important role? Decisions, decisions. I'll just repeat myself, this one is as good as its predecessor - different, but just as good. The focus changes a litt...more
Jennavier
My overwhelming memory of this book is my dad mocking me for the amount of boob the model on the front has. That's really hysterical considering he likes military sci-fi, the cover boob capital of the fiction world. At the time I was just mortified. Considering I loved this book I hustled around with the cover carefully facing me.
Now that sharing time is over, how about I talk about the actual book? Treason Keep picks up with R'Shiel being a fierce warrior maiden, leaving forever behind the girl...more
E'lyne
The was great book!!!! I give it 4 Stars!!!

Ragne
This was a bit slow-going, until the end. Not much action, but Fallon manages to create some interesting characters. As in all series, there is much happening towards the end. I think book three will be very good.
Tiffany
This is the bridge book, or middle book for the Hythrun Chronicles. I did enjoy it to help me with my fantasy fix. There was more movement of plot in this book. The characters thought things out, and I absolutely loved the new character, Adrina. She is a Fardohnyan Princess with a bit of attitude.
Many of the old characters are in this book. Brak becomes more of a stronger character. In general, its a goodread since it builds so much more into the world of the Harshini. I would recommend it for a...more
Katharine
I think I read this book in about a day? I could NOT put it down. You can hardly tell this is Fallon's second book - it's so well done. There are no weak spots, the characters are incredibly interesting, and just, eeee <3

The dialogue, especially between Adrina and Damin is just so amusing. You almost laugh out loud at it, even if you're reading in the middle of a restaurant when you should be reading.

How can she create characters that are so bratty, and yet you just read them and love them a...more
Tal
although this opened with new and seemingly unrelated characters, the plot soon brought them together with the heros and heroines of the first book.

some things were obvious - the totally denied yet utterly predictable romance, the religious conflict between the three main countries - and some werent. the characterisation of the gods amused me but i wanted to slap some of the main characters.

all in all, a decent read but definitely not a stand-alone book.
Angie
I like Princess Adrina well enough. She makes this book good enough to finish the trilogy.

edit: OH GOD IT'S NOT A TRILOGY, IT KEEPS GOING.

How far can this really be dragged out?

edit edit: Wait, I guess it is a trilogy, but there's other books with related characters so as a set there's a couple of trilogies. That's fine. The Wolfblade character is a lot more interesting than Tarja and R'Shiel, in my opinion.
Jacinta Hoare
Second in a series.

The author has managed to keep the ongoing plot twisting along in this second installment of the Demon Child Trilogy. Some of the story by-lines were predictable and I think there have been a few too many "escapes when faced with impossible odds".

I continue to like the characters in the book and world in which they live.
Jenny
priests of the "one" god are a representation of evil...hey..wait. it does make one think a little about our need to label everything good or bad. except ... that there is good and bad. the princess adrina keeps the story interesting. not everything is good and not everyone makes it.
Anne
I really like Jennifer Fallon as a writer. She has interesting characters and story-lines. Clear and easy to read. This is a good sequel, too - it isn't just a transition book. And there isn't nearly as much threat of hanging the same person over and over in this one.
Chris Pacheco
Damn, I love Australian fantasy, and Jennifer Fallon is proving to be one of my favorites. The system of deity's and the political and religious aspects of her story are some of the very few that have me thinking about them between volumes. This is some great fiction.
Hannah
Isn't a particularly happy book. I only skimmed and read about the characters I liked. Liked more at the end than the beginning (because they grew up, not because they were killed off). Not clean. Some significant bits that need skipping.
Bluecityladyy
Much better than the first book, (which I still liked). I couldn't put this one down. Great characterization but what I especially love is that she doesn't write the cliched fantasy fiction plots. Fallon has imagination and is a good story teller.
Tara
I enjoyed this book much better than the first in the series. The author seemed to hit a good stride in this book and maybe I just became used to the unfortunate fantasy names that slowed my reading of the first.
Christy Beal
Could not get as excited about this one as I did over the first book, I just did not seem to care as much about the characters. I will go back and reread, but right now, I feel like something is missing.
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
Fallon is the author of 17 full-length bestselling novels and a number of published short stories in genres ranging from horror to science fiction.

In addition to 4 complete fantasy series - The Demon Child trilogy, The Hythrun Chronicles, the Second Sons Trilogy,The Tide Lords Quadrilogy and the Rift Runners series - Fallon has written both a tie-novel and short fiction for the TV series, Stargat...more
More about Jennifer Fallon...
Medalon (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #1) Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #3) The Immortal Prince (Tide Lords, #1) Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #1) Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)

“I know the gods exist, whether i believe them worth worshipping is an entirely different matter.
Brakandaran té Carn”
6 likes
“Unless you can start some worldwide crime wave, I haven’t the strength to defy him.” 2 likes