Start by marking “Prayers For Rain” as Want to Read:
Prayers For Rain

Prayers For Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro #5)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  13,498 ratings  ·  567 reviews
What if a total stranger was watching your every move? What if he read your mail, listened in on your phone calls, knew what you spoke of only to your most trusted confidants? What if he learned Your routines? Your weaknesses? And, most important, what if he discovered those things you love and cling to . . . and then he stripped you of them? And sat back to watch while yo ...more
Paperback
Published July 1st 2000 by Bantam (first published May 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Prayers For Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prayers For Rain

Dan Schwent
When a former client commits suicide, Patrick Kenzie goes digging into her background to find out why. What he finds is a blackmailing stalker that anticipates his every move. Even after being reunited with Angela, can Patrick put a stop to the blackmailer's reign of terror?

Wow. After Gone Baby Gone, I assumed the Kenzie and Gennaro series would be on the decline. I'm not ashamed to admit I was wrong.

Prayers for Rain starts with Patrick at his lowest point and sees him clawing his way back to th
Kemper
Patrick and Angie have gone up against a lot of very bad people in their time as detectives. They’ve tangled with gang members, serial killers, the Irish and Italian mob, a religious cult, corrupt politicians, child molesters, and a variety of other evil sons-of-bitches. In Prayers for Rain, they meet their most sadistic and diabolical villain yet.

Angie has gone to work for another detective agency, and Patrick is operating solo. Without Angie around, he’s losing his taste for the job, though. H
Mara
After finishing the fifth in his exploits of Kenzie & Gennaro, I can confidently say that Dennis Lehane doesn't just have my number- dude's straight up got me on speed dial. What's more, I had my defenses up this time around. I don't forgive easily, and (to my own detriment) part of me* was still feeling petulant about my Gone, Baby, Gone -induced melancholia.

I don't trust myself to say much about this one without ruining surprises (pleasant or otherwise). There will be more Bubba Rogows
Richard
8.5/10

After enough time had passed from reading “Gone, Baby, Gone” and the sun was seeming to shine once more and the sound of children playing with puppies didn’t make me curl up into a ball and rock away until the wee hours, I decided to pick up the next Lehane novel in the Kenzie & Gennaro series to make all that misery come rushing back like it was a long lost friend.

I was actually a little surprised in this novel though as there wasn’t as much misery and depression. I mean don’t get me
Bill
I don't have many regrets, but one that I do have is having watched Mystic River when I did.
I had been very familiar with Dennis Lehane at the time, and the opportunity came to see the movie even though I hadn't read the book yet. Call it a weak moment, but I went ahead and watched it. I loved it, and only later realized it is considered his best work.
Of course, I can't read it now, at least until I've totally forgotten the movie.

So until then, I'm picking through his work, and I've very much en
Jim
What started off as another excellent Lehane book was ruined by the last couple of pages for me, unfortunately. Still, up until then, it had been great. The mystery is convoluted, thought-provoking & keeps the suspense going strong. We get to see a lot more of & find out more about Bubba. That right there makes it worth reading. I got a little tired of Kenzie's flashes of brilliance. I would have preferred he just reason it out soundly.

Unfortunately, Lehane had to take the case an extra
Nandakishore Varma
Barbara
Dec 04, 2010 Barbara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SusanD, Steve, Kelly, Vanessa
Shelves: mystery
Dennis Lehane is one of my favorite mystery authors, who rarely fails to please me. In "Prayers for Rain", he has delivered another spellbinding detective story, which leaves little to the imagination. The book is certainly not for the faint of heart. Deftly plotted, it is gritty, suspenseful, often violent and offers endless surprises. The few quiescent periods in this very emotional story offer little respite from unexpected action. The suspense is further heightened at the climax with several ...more
Mike
Prayers for Rain get 4 Stars, had to take one away. This book was fantastic for about 290 pages. Angie, Patrick and Bubba are on the case together and they just sparkle when they get together. Patrick is on the case of a girl who committed suicide. He feels guilty because he did not answer her call for help. He is also despondent because Angie has left him for other work and love. But he gets Angie to come help him out. Finding out what happened to cause the girl to commit suicide reveals that h ...more
Magdalena
I took a Lehane break after Gone, Baby, Gone. I needed to read softer books with stories that didn’t make me feeling like breaking down or getting angry because of stupid laws that make children’s life miserable.

But I decided to read the next one when I saw that I need to return the Lehane books I have home on Monday to the library. I could return them and then borrow them again but I thought what the heck I can at least read one before Monday and borrow the other two I have home, Moonlight Mile
Zach
This is a good read, although not Lehane's best.

Lehane Overcomes Cliches
Anyone else this would be a standard, mediocre thriller--you have several cliched elements:
1. a psycho stalker who appears to have unlimited resources and how (it is never entirely explained why) is obsessed with his victims;
2. the "cat-mouse game" dialogue of the protagonist interacting with the villian (has become overused since Silence of the Lambs or In the Line of Fire);
3. a witty couple of detectives with some sexual
Bryce Wilson
And so we come to the end... I'm going to miss Kenzie and Gennaro I've been putting off this book for awhile, but well I had a train to ride and it was just staring at me.

Prayer's For Rain isn't their best outing but you can't say the crew doesn't go out with a bang.

Say this for Lehane he writes a good villain. He creates antagonists that you don't want to so much see beaten, as destroyed utterly. A good Lehane villain simply angrys up the blood in a real primal way.

So color me surprised that
Teresa
Gostei muito, mas apenas de metade.
Achei o enredo do caso policial bastante interessante, muito bem elaborado, com suspense e reviravoltas muito bem conseguidas.
Gostei do modo como Patrick Kenzie resolve as situações, “sem paninhos quentes”, tão ao gosto dos apreciadores de ficção policial que, por norma, acham que os direitos humanos não se aplicam aos criminosos.
A outra metade que não apreciei deveu-se a não ter lido os anteriores livros da série – “Kenzie & Gennaro” – e por isso não ente
Jessica
Oh, Dennis Lehane, how awesome are you? Clearly, so very very, because it pains me somewhat to have now exhausted currently available supplies of Kenzie and Gennaro adventures. The emotional level here gets cranked a little higher as the whole plot revolves around how attached we get to the things we hold most dear, and I love how the twists just don't stop. A fine series for hardboiled fans everywhere.
Dalia
Would like to give this 3.5 not 3 :-( I love the Kenzie and Gennaro and Bubba characters, but the plot went off the rails- as much as I wanted to continue to suspend disbelief he just pushed it a tad too much, I would have liked the book so much better is the conspiracies were a bit more realistic.
Thomas Strömquist
Not the best Lehane and not the best of the Kenzie/Gennaro series, this is still an above average thriller. Recommended as such. Now, if I could only keep the incredibly bad casted actors of "Gone Baby Gone" from popping into my head when reading these stories...
Grant
I've loved Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro from the beginning so it was with a heavy heart that I approached this, the last book in this stellar PI series. Sadly, it wasn't quite the send-off I was hoping for.

Sure, the story was fast-paced and suspenseful, and there were a few things I did enjoy about the novel, mainly Patrick's new flame, sexy defense attorney Vanessa Moore. I found her intelligent and interesting, although I didn't really understand her role; if the antagonist was trying to
Andre
I love the end--or, at least, what we thought was the end--of the Kenzie-Gennaro series. I love the way Lehane wrapped up the Patrick-Angie storyline. I love the case, rather, the issue, at hand.

Of what I've read thus far, this was Lehane's best work. I did not "Why" questions in my head after reading this one. Everything made sense. Although I loved the entire series, I had minor gripes with each of the first four novels. None this time around.

Only a great storyline and great writing could make
Eric_W
Karen Nichols, a seemingly perfect prime and proper young lady, hires private detective Patrick Kenzie to warn off Cody Falk, a stalker who has a history of rape and abuse of women. Patrick and his new sidekick, Bubba, who has the face of a deranged two-year-old but with the physique of a “steel boxcar with limbs” pay Cody a visit. Bubba rearranges Cody’s car and they leave with suitable threats of potential carnage should anything happen to Karen. Six months later Karen jumps naked from a six ...more
David
This one was really great up until the end, which was a bit of a letdown. At the end of "Gone Baby Gone", Patrick and Angie had split up their detective partnership over the outcome of that novel. "Prayers For Rain" begins with Patrick working solo. However, does anyone really believe that Angie won't make her way into the plot? Of course, she does.

The book gets off to a great start. A very sweet, innocent,woman is being stalked by a creep. Patrick handles the problem, but then the action really
Harry
Hmmmm...someone liked one of my reviews and I checked out this person's reading list as well as their reviews and heard mention somewhere in there a sentence or two about heroes, one likeable, the other...well, more along the lines of a sociopath. Dennis Lehane, among other authors was mentioned in this respect.

As always, my curiosity was piqued, and although I checked out the other named authors I did finally settle on Dennis Lehane. It was a good decision. Perhaps one of the best reading decis
Mike
A little disclosure: I think Dennis Lehane is perhaps the best crime writer in the last 50 years. I love this guy and have read almost everything he's every written (there are literally only two books by him left and one them is Mystic River which I've seen the film version of like 10 times). I other words, I'm generally going to be pretty inclined to like his stuff. Why? Well, unlike a lot of other crime writers I've read his stuff is funny, thrilling, and, while totally engrossing in the momen ...more
Joseph
I went through this pretty quickly, but I think I may be starting to tire of Lehane. Or maybe it's just this series. The non-stop back-n-forth between Kenzie and Genarro just doesn't spark. Ever get the feeling the characters know you're reading/listening, and are trying to be witty and cool, but they're not? Ah well.
The other thing that bothered me with this story is the uneven, illogical morality of the main characters. The main baddie is pure psycho evil, and our hero, Patrick Kenzie--now in
Threasa Jenkins
I just love reading Dennis Lehane books. They are so exciting with lots of action. The characters are great, and the bad guys are really, really bad. It's fun to see if they get what's coming to them in the end. Angie and Patrick work so well together. If I ever need a bodyguard, I want Bubba to be that person. He scares me, and I love him too.
My Inner Shelf
Dennis Lehane achève ici sa série Kenzie/Gennaro. Kenzie est sollicité par une jeune femme victime de harcèlement, et règle l’affaire en moins de deux. Intrigué par son suicide quelques mois plus tard, il sera rejoint par Gennaro pour les besoins de la cause. J’ai retrouvé avec joie et bonheur le duo de détectives et son acolyte improbable Bubba, le passionné d’explosif belliqueux. Comme toujours chez Lehane les personnages sont passionnants et approfondis. L’intrigue est encore une fois tordue ...more
Julie
I read this book from cover to cover in one sitting. Who has time for boring books when there are Dennis Lehane books to read? Most books have chunks that just read blah blah blah – either irrelevant or just filler. Dennis Lehane books don’t have these chunks. His plot zings around like ricocheting bullets and you have to hold on tight to every word. There are also often parts that make me laugh out loud, which helps to break my white-knuckle grip on the book! I have to admit that I was a little ...more
Katie
This felt less tightly plotted than usual. There was a bit too much of "This is what's happening, no this is, no this is!" and I don't think it quite formed a coherent whole. I still liked it, though.

(view spoiler)

Now do I read the last one
Stephanie
Strong addition to this detective series.
Kandice
Little did I know this was #4 (or 5?) in a series. Oh well, Lehane kept me in the loop enough that it didn't matter. I actually want to go back and start from the beginning, so that's saying something.

This was very "noir detective" and I enjoy this style of book immensely. It reminds me of McCullough's Delmonico series or Cornwell's Scarpetta, Patterson's Cross. The reader is give clues to follow and is (mostly) able to solve and figure out along with the detective in the story. I love when I ma
Ed Vaughn
Each of Lehane's novels improve, but here (Spoiler?) we have what appears to be a very scary and invincible villain (i.e. Cormac McCarthy's Chigurh in "No Country for Old Men") in the first 2/3rds of the novel and then turns him into totally vulnerable dumb butt (i.e. Elmore Leonard's duffus bad guys) in the end. That was a little disappointing. Overall, though, it was fun to read.
Is Prayers for Rain a stand alone book? 19 40 Dec 07, 2012 03:34PM
Whats the Order? 7 59 Oct 09, 2012 10:56AM
Plot point that bugged me 2 57 Oct 09, 2008 11:16AM
  • Wild Town
  • Soul Circus (Derek Strange and Terry Quinn, #3)
  • Clandestine
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Even the Wicked (Matthew Scudder #13)
  • Sunset Express (Elvis Cole, #6)
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more
More about Dennis Lehane...

Kenzie & Gennaro (6 books)
  • A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1)
  • Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
  • Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3)
  • Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4)
  • Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro,#6)
Shutter Island Mystic River A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1) Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4) Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)

“The loneliness of another can be shocking when it lays itself bare without warning.” 2 likes
“The parishioners looked dazed, but happy. The only thing good Catholics love more than God is a short service. Keep your organ music, your choir, keep your incense and processionals. Give us a priest with one eye on the Bible and the other on the clock, and we’ll pack the place like it’s a turkey raffle the week before Thanksgiving.” 1 likes