Start by marking “Wizard for Hire (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Wizard for Hire (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #1-3)

Wizard for Hire (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #1-3)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,502 ratings  ·  49 reviews

Wizard for Hire is the Omnibus edition, combining Storm Front, book #1, Fool Moon, book #2 , and Grave Peril, book #3, from The Dresden Files series. This hardback book was published after all three paperbacks and prior to the two hardcover editions, making the Omnibus edition important to collectors.

Storm Front: For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, busin

Published 2005 by Science Fiction Book Club Fantasy (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard for Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard for Hire

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienDivergent by Veronica RothThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra Clare
Best Trilogies/Book Series EVER!
195th out of 882 books — 560 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Meat Market by James ChalkBlood Song by Anthony  RyanThe Secret of Excalibur by Sahara FoleyThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
First Person Fantasy Sci Fi
40th out of 157 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
This was the way I read the first books of the Dresden series. I purchased the first 4 omnibus editions (put out by the Science Fiction Book Club) and read them back to back. While many find flaws in these books I find the writing, the character of Harry Dresden and "just simply" the enjoyment factor more than enough to push these over to a 5 star rating. These books are unique. Among fantasy and urban fantasy I think they stand alone.

Yes, there are folks who disagree and prefer other writers. T
Ricardo
Mar 05, 2008 Ricardo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Good Supernatural mysterys
Shelves: vampires, mystery
This edition contains three stories,
Storm Front, Full Moon and Grave Peril.
Harry Dresden, The Wizard takes on all kinds of supernatural cases dealing with demons, possessions, Vampires you name it. The pace of the stories are quick and very entertaining.
Gabriel
2012 reread.

For those of you interested in a more individualistic take on the novels, read my reviews for the separate editions. The focus here is how they flow and create one of the most interesting, frustrating, exciting, etc. series I have had the pleasure to read.

The interesting thing is that, these three run the gamut of experience faced when dealing with the series. As an introduction to the character, Storm Front is lighter (despite the method of murder) and resembles the pulp genre a lo
MissFidget
Can't miss premise, rip off Mickey Spillane's style and add a Wizard. Magic in the book is well researched and doesn't set off BS detectors. Great trashy fun reading. I've read the first three books in this series and plan to continue.
Andre
Oct 02, 2013 Andre rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone needin some good laughs an a fun rea about magic.
Recommended to Andre by: So it listed on Science Fiction Books.
This is a compilation of three books in the series known as the Dresden Files. They all chronicle the magical life of Chicago's only professional wizard Harry Dresden.

The first book is Storm Front (printed in 2000) which involves Harry in a double murder committed with black magic. He's suspected and has to prove his innocent by finding the real perpetrator.

The second is Fool Moon (2001)which involves Harry and werewolves...or maybe something else.

Third is Grave Perils (2001) in which Harry get
Alexis Nguyen
Netflix is totally to blame for my current obsession with Harry Dresden, wizard for hire (and of more interest than that other famous wizard named Harry). Usually, I'm not a huge scifi/fantasy series fan, but this is supposedly urban fantasy, whatever that means. For me, it's got huge overtones of the detective noir genre, which is super fun.

Jim Butcher has a great writing style, something of it reminding me of what Dan Brown keeps aspiring to be but never reaching. It's intelligent, expecting y
bookczuk
Javaczuk started out with this, read the first story/book and liked it, but put it aside rather than read all three right in a row. I "siezed the day" so to speak and read all three, back to back. The stories hold, but by the middle of the third one, I was ready for it to end so that i could take a break. But, I will look forward to reading more about this wizard Harry, who is a bit like Sam Spade meets Harry Houdini. You just get pulled right in to the slice of Chicago life and magic that is Ha ...more
Peri Young
Jun 10, 2008 Peri Young rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes fiction
Recommended to Peri by: my (very cool) mother-in-law
When I started reading the first book in this series, I thought the author had blatantly ripped off Harry Potter. The main character is named Harry, he is an orphan, he is mentored my high-ranking wizards, he needs to learn to control his power, etc. But if you can get past the beginning similarities, you'll find that Harry Dresden is a unique character and you'll really love the stories.
This series has some of everything - action (even explosions) - fantasy - real-seeming characters - and even
C.C. Williams
Like a lot of people I'm sure, my introduction to Harry Dresden and, consequently, Jim Butcher, was the short-lived TV series, The Dresden Files. As Chicago's only professional wizard, Harry was something one-of-a-kind.

Having finally gotten around to reading the books, I find that they are even more fun in the original. Sure, Harry has--at least for my taste--a way-over-developed sense of responsibility, but that makes him who he is. But, nonetheless, I enjoy wondering what is going to happen to
Laura Lavender-blackwood
I had to give this a five star rating. From beginning to end it was not stop suspense. I loved each and every part can't wait y2k start the next omnibus...
Jewels
The Dresden books are fast becoming a favorite of mine. Not only is Butcher not adverse to getting gritty, gory, or downright sexy in his books, but there is a fresh spin to all the intrigues of the supernatural world in his particular universe. The last book in this three-in-one volume was a little off in the editing department. There were spelling errors here and there, and one character's name was completely changed from what it was before. If that kind of thing bothers you, note that before ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
This is my fourth time reading thru these stories again. Stormfront was my introduction to reading Harry Dresden and I fell in love with the character. With each new story Fool Moon showed me just how complex my hero Harry Dresden really was and what he was willing to do for the greater good. In Grave Peril, we see our hero being beat up for doing what is right even if it cost him valuable friendships and friends. Our hero stuck to his guns and tries his damn best to get it right. I'm rereading ...more
Jen O'leary
I struggled through the first book a bit. At first, I found Dresden to be kind of whiny and that he didn't have much edge to him. I found several of the supporting characters to be far more interesting at times.

The second and third books were by far much better. Dresden started getting edgier and the storylines were improving. I'm still not 100% in love with these books, but the characters are growing on me, so I'll keep plowing through the series.
Walter Herrick
Great as always!
My best friend recommended these books to me and for that I can never thank her enough. I love Harry Dresden the way I love Sparhawk and Jimmy the Hand, for me Butcher ranks with Eddings and Feist, my to all time favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy authors.

Dresden is witty, fun, and as the series progresses increasingly convoluted, every time I pick these up to reread I find something I missed. I’ve even managed to addict my fifteen year old son to the series.
Gordon Griffenhagen
If you haven't read any of the Dresden Files novels, then I suggest that you do, and start with this one, with the first 3 novels in the series. There are now 13 novels, and each one is better than the last. Harry Dresden is a supernatural detective in Chicago, and he and his many friends battle every kind of supernatural enemy you can thick of, from werewolves and vampires to other evil wizards. I can't wait for the next installment.
Julia
Jul 04, 2011 Julia rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julia by: Jesse Burnette
Storm Front: Not bad, for popcorn. A little bit clumsy, a little bit cliche, but reasonably good fun.

Fool Moon: I'd hoped the second installment would be a bit less amateurish than the first, but oh well. Still managed to be reasonably entertaining.

Grave Peril: Ditto, except the clumsy shows more the more it goes on. (Especially the AYKB.) Still some good moments, but they're seeming more forumulaic.
Greyson Simon
I can understand why this series didn't translate well to television. That being said, I love it. Dresden is hilarious, and the banter is awesome, while still being believable. The juxtaposition between the gruesome horror and the adorable supernatural (Pizza-Loving Faeries!) is perfect in a "that's just how life is" kind of way, and makes them both easier to stomach. I'm very excited to continue the series.
Mindex
I enjoyed finally reading the first few Dresden books. However, since I started reading the later ones first, I find I prefer the later writing. These are not as tight as the later books, or perhaps it is because the characters have changed as time goes on.

Definitely worth reading if you area fan and still need the backstory for Dresden and company.
Oct 03, 2008 Sarah marked it as to-read
This hardcover contains the first three Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher. So far I've read the first one.

Book 1: Storm Front - Good read, funny. I liked Harry. He gets chased around by a demon with nothing but a towel around his waist (he had just got out of the shower), that had me laughing. I liked the book but am in no rush to read the next two.
Julie Pedersen witt
The three separate stories in this omnibus are a great start to my favorite literary character. I had not read these in several years and I think I enjoyed them just as much the second time around. So I intend to reread all the Dresden Files. I already know I love them. And I think the writing gets better with each book.
Sasha
This'll be a general review for the entire series so far (1-11). I read them all on my iphone in about three weeks, because that's the kind of books they are. Quick reads, totally enjoyable, entire without literary merit. Noir modern wizard detective fluff. If you like that sort of thing, I fully recommend them.
Pburleigh
Actually an exciting read! The only thing that gets on the nerve is the amount of injuries Dresden can receive, wine about, and somehow always "magically" come out on top. I'd like to read less descriptions about his injuries. But, anyway, the story line has me hooked and coming back for more.
Amy
Finally Finished!
I am not a fan of 3 books in 1 binding so it seems to take me forever.
I liked all three books and Jim Butcher takes wizardry to the next level. He seems to come up with things that would never have crossed my mind and very well written. I will be reading the rest of his books.
Trixie Fontaine
Light, fun fare that just doesn't hold my attention. I read Storm Front and half of Fool Moon and decided at that point I'd really enjoy reading something else more. I can totally understand why some people love these books but my mind wanders as the uncomplicated formulaic action unfolds.
Chris Yoder
Who would have thought how much fun mixing a gum shoe mystery with a wizard would be? This book has all the tawdry goodness of a mystery *and* magic.

It's been a while since I read it -- I do remember enjoying it thoroughly. I'm now on to the second in the series.
Monika
I own SFBC omnibus editions of the first 9 or so books in this series. Very good an compelling series, but like so many others, I've dropped it because of the length. I still enjoy going back and reading the first few books in this series though.
Madkropotkin
The first three books of the Dresden Files, I enjoyed the first one, did not like the second one and absolutely loved the third book. All in all this book was fun to read. I would recommend it to all fans of wizardry and paranormal events.
Janet
I read this book in 2010, at the time didn't know it was a series. I liked it then. And I really enjoyed it now. I have passed it on to others, who also have liked the book. So, Jim Butcher you have a few new fans. Happy reading.
Brandon
Apr 07, 2008 Brandon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any adults
Recommended to Brandon by: my friend Cat
I've loved the start of this series. They aren't deeply philosophical, but they are thoroughly enjoyable books. I highly recommend them for a quick read. They're funny with action and a lovable cast.
  • This Witch for Hire (The Hollows, #1-2)
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Dead by Day (Sookie Stackhouse, #4-5)
  • The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game: Volume Two: Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Man from the South
  • Justice League Dark, Vol. 2: The Books of Magic
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 6
  • The Heart of the Witch
  • Long-time Listener, First-time Werewolf (Kitty Norville, #1-3)
  • The Parasol Protectorate, Volume 2
  • Diana Tregarde Investigates (Diana Tregarde, #1-3)
  • Blood Moon (A Rowan Gant Investigation #9)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • The Midnight Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4-6)
  • Dragon & Issola (Vlad Taltos, #8-9)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)