Start by marking “Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)” as Want to Read:
Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)

Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  33,609 ratings  ·  705 reviews
After two years of bitter conflict with the hordes of invading Canim, Tavi of Calderon, now Captain of the First Aleran Legion, realizes that a peril far greater than the Canim exists-the mysterious threat that drove the savage Canim to flee their homeland. Now, Tavi must find a way to overcome the centuries-old animosities between Aleran and Cane if an alliance is to be f ...more
Published December 4th 2007 by Ace Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Captain's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain's Fury

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
130th out of 1,540 books — 5,495 voters
Hounded by Kevin HearneStorm Front by Jim ButcherThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussZero Sight by B. Justin ShierThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
Contemporary Fantasy for Guys
56th out of 463 books — 356 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
3.5 stars. Another excellent installment in what has turned out to be an above-average epic fantasy series. The description of the book tells enough about the story that I won't re-hash the plot and will simply point out a few things I like about the story.

The progression of Tavi from young, naive, fury-less Country boy to a veteran, capable, fury-full (is that a word) Captain of the Aleran forces has been thoughful, understandable and well done. I also find myself really liking the characters
Kaitlin
To me, this book has been the most fun in the series so far, which is great! I read this as part of the #Rainbowthon and I found myself managing to get through this is just 2 days, very exciting.

This is set in a world where magic is the norm and everyone has at least one weak Fury (kind of a magic spirit). If you are very proficient with the Fury or Furies that you control and use then it's more likely that you're a noble or someone who has a position of power, although some keep the true extent
Josh
Butcher crafts a compelling fantasy. These are some of the first books in years that have given me chills during some of the more stirring scenes. Can't recommend the series enough. Hail Octavian!
Tom
Perfection! 5 Every book has gotten better for me and I loved them from the beginning. Instead of a book of theories and questions it was an entire book of ANSWERS! The battle scenes were more condensed and that left more room for personal storylines. LOVE this series!
Rob
Executive Summary: While this one didn't live up to my memory of it, it's still a really fun read with a lot to like.

Audio book: At this point, I'm used to Kate Reading as a reader and can't imagine anyone else doing it.

Full Review
I originally maintained my 5 star rating after finishing my reread, but I think if I'm honest and rate it how I would if I were reading it for the first time, it would be a solid 4 star. This book starts and ends really well, but slows down in the middle some.

Like t
♡Esra♡
Yep, this is IT for me. This is why I love Fantasy so much. I have nothing, not one single bad thing to say about this book. I LOVED IT. I can't stress that enough. THIS WAS AMAZING for me. I loved every single second of it.

At some parts it was emotional and I got teary eyed and I loved it. The battle scenes were amazing and if they weren't in this book I wouldn't love it this very much. Every time someone said Hail Gaius Octavian, I loved it AND got the chills. The parts with Canim, loved it.
Reed
The continuing adventures of Tavi and the rest of the crew. If you are a fan of the series, you know what to expect. The characters get into loads of impossible scrapes, only to somehow pull themselves through.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in this series since the second book--I spend the first quarter to third of the book trying to remember who all the characters are, and where the assorted story lines were going. I spend the next third or so thinking "I love Butcher's novels, but I'm not sur
John
What a great read. The series started off as a pretty solid and entertaining read but each subsequent book is better than the last. Captain's Fury continues to show Tavi's growth and continued frustration at his lack of competency in fury-crafting.

More interesting, to me, is that Isana and Fade are built into extremely interesting characters in their own right, as they have a solid plot line all there on. And yet more Bernard and Amara, who are my favorite couple in the series right now.

The big
Jim
Another fun, quick read, although a bit predictable. The main character, Tavi, matures further & is slowly coming into his own, which is neat. The interactions with the Camin are interesting - different cultures meeting & clashing. It's nice to see that the 'good' guys aren't always perfect & often, no matter what they do, their options are limited so that they can seem pretty bad. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.
Rosanna
4.5
Best book in the series so far.
Yodamom
*Spoilers if you have not read the previous books
The short-Tavi's coming of age and power, the First Lord finally makes a move and love shines in Alera, War takes a huge toll.
It's all that and a bucket of chicken !

I feel like I have known Tavi all his life. Well, I have in a literary sense. He has gone from this little insecure child to an awkward teenager to this new confident capable man. He is in his early twenties now and faces some horrible circumstances, he must be the voice and mind of sa
Natasha M.
Kaila
As seen on Stumptown Books.

It's no secret around here that I am not a Codex Alera fan. So far, the star spread is (links lead to the reviews):

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1) - 2 stars
Academ's Fury (Codex Alera #2) - 2 stars
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera #3) - 1 star
And this book, Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) - 2 stars

That's not a very good track record to continue on with. And yet, I'm still reading them. Some deep dark part of me obviously wants to know how the story is going to end, and whe
Dantezgirl

So I think I've figured Butcher's style :) And yeah, looks like we do jump two years for each consecutive books. Dunno if I like that in terms of story wise.

So Octavian and Kitai sound like they've FINALLY done the deed. Kitai FINALLY has her horse. Tavi is still Captain. And the Cane are still roaming, now with ex-slave recruits! No doubt Tavi will win the Aleran folks back to his side. AANNDD sounds like Tavi may just be boinking his Cousin or Step Sister! *Shudders* Eww! (Butcher keeps bangi
Avery
I am finally finished with this book! My family came over about a week ago and I just haven't been able to get back to it. Then, today came and it just wanted me to finish it, it seemed.

I gotta say, even though I am deeply infatuated with this series, I think this is my least favorite; but that does not demerit my opinions of the first three books. What I do like the most about these books is that even though each book takes place a couple of years after the last book, it reads as if it picked
Leon Aldrich
Another well written Butcher sword-fest. On to book five!
Valerie
Jim Butcher is a master at crafting fantasy fiction. There is just no other way to say it. This is indisputable fact.

In Captain's Fury, Butcher continues to build the pressure in his master plot. However, the book does a fantastic job of standing on its own legs, telling a complete, and totally engrossing, story. Tavi remains the central character of the book, yet Butcher has woven full tapestries of subplots with his supporting cast of characters. Their stories are just as compelling as Tavi's.
Enzo
Probably the best so far in the Codex Alera series. At the end of the previous novel Tavi had proven himself a great Captain and a very good military mind. This novel set two years after those events see him as a confident commander of his troops beloved by all and bringing the pressure to the Canim who are not having the expected success they and High Lord Kalera expected. Obviously this is a major issue for Lord Kalera as he was expecting the Canim to drive the Alerans deep into their own terr ...more
trishtrash
A slightly disappointing fourth instalment of Butcher’s enjoyable Codex Alera series; only slightly, as the political and battle focus was as tightly wound and satisfying as in the previous book, Cursor’s Fury which I consider the best in the series so far. Captain’s Fury, however, spends too much time (and time-wasting peril inflicted for the sake of giving the protagonists something to do) with Count Bernard and the Cursor, Amara, escorting the First Lord of the realm through woods, swamp and ...more
Richard
Feb 12, 2013 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and/or the Dresden Files
I finished all six volumes in Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series, so I’m writing one review to cover the whole set. Regardless of which of the books this review is attached to, if you want to read this epic saga, start with the first book: Furies of Calderon . I’ve also read all fourteen of the full-length books in his Dresden Files, and there are some interesting points of comparison.

First and foremost, this is a well-crafted and engrossing tale — definitely worth reading.

The tale follows the li
Duchess Nicole
I do believe that this is one of my favorite fantasy series of all time, right up there with George R.R. Martin, L.E. Modesitt, and Robert Jordan. There is something so normal about this crazy world that Butcher has created. These people have real, honest emotions. And while there are odd creatures abounding, from Leviathans ten times the size of a ship to the semi-friendly Murat and Canim hordes, the characters have everyday emotions and reactions. There is something for everyone to love about ...more
James
This will be really short as due to the speed I have read these books I am struggling to separate them in my mind. They were that good.

This book continues on with the same brilliance that was evident in Cursor's Fury, with the tale picking up pace really well; at times I felt like I was caught in an unstoppable stream, it's current picking me up and not letting me down.

This is because the plot was brilliant and fun, well devised and complex enough to make sure that there was little chance you
Amanda
This is the fourth book in the Codex Alera sequence by Jim Butcher, a high fantasy story following the story of Tavi as he grows into manhood and learns the destiny that lies before him.

I'm growing ambivalent about this series. I enjoy every book - but not enough to devour every single page in a single sitting. I find some parts of the books enormously exciting and moving and generally fantastic. And then sometimes I find myself flipping pages without any real interest in what comes next. I reac
Nicholas
Damn entertaining and the best book of the series so far in my opinion. Tavi learns of his heritage and the whole conspiracy (minus who really was behind the death of Septimus) comes unraveled with some pretty interesting consequences.

Butcher shows his politically medieval acumen as the jostling for power in Alera continues with the added threat of the Canim lurking to the north. Just what are they up to? And why are they building ships?

Butcher also creates one of the most loathsome villains in
Rachel
The series finally suffered the inevitable drag of a novel structure consisting of threading three major (and fairly disparate) storylines together - and with the just-as-inevitable result that some storylines will be more popular than other. But it was worth it for the last quarter of the book.

And now Araris and Tavi are off on adventures away from home, and I've no doubt that Kitai will show up too... *happy sigh* Now if only the library had the last two books in the series...
Max
Apr 17, 2014 Max rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Quite good, quite good. The series just keeps getting better and better with every book, and I am very happy that I still have two books to go.

I read the last 40% of the book in one go on a long train ride, and since there were a bunch of children in the same wagon, I put on some loud music. And I have to say, reading battle scenes while listening to The Classical Conspiracy by Epica is pretty damn epic. So, even though the story itself almost-but-not-quite-warrants a five star, the experience o
Sam
What a great series! Definitely one of the best series I've read. I liked this book because the main character continues to grow less helpless, and more powerful. The entire plot throughout the series is starting to come together, and I can't wait to read the next book. One good/annoying thing about each book is that they always end on a huge cliffhanger.
Katerina H.
Colin
This story. These characters. These plot twists. The action. The heart wrenching moments.
Need I say more?

The Codex Alera series is something you need in your life. The ending of this one was rather ominous and it's hinting at some absolutely insane events that are about to unfold in the last two books.

Needless to say, I'm kind of frothing at the mouth excited.
Angie
Nov 25, 2013 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy
Recommended to Angie by: the first one was a gift
Things are really changing for Tavi in this book. He's allways thought of himself and also been told that he's an orphan. Well he now knows the truth.

I like how Tavi s character is changing, he's no longer the appreniice sheep farmer on the boarders of his land. But blessings he learned there he uses in his life now. Kitai, his girlfriend is also changing. So for the better, but she's still the wild girl at heart.

So in this, Tavi has got to figure out a way to sort out the Canim invasion, and ne
WRONG PAGE NUMBER? 1 8 Mar 26, 2015 07:57PM
Buddy Read Zone: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) 88 22 Dec 20, 2014 08:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Page Number 3 23 Sep 26, 2014 08:14AM
Furies and the main charakters 4 96 Oct 20, 2011 05:36PM
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • The Born Queen (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #4)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Dzur (Vlad Taltos, #10)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Mountain, #3)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)

“I've never lost a duel to the death. Not one.” 123 likes
“Tavi grinned. "Are you with me?"
"The plan is insane," Ehren said. "YOU are insane." He looked around the inside of the tent. "I'll need some pants.”
50 likes