Start by marking “Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)” as Want to Read:
Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)

Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  45,009 Ratings  ·  929 Reviews
After two years of bitter conflict with the hordes of invading Canim, Tavi of Calderon, now Captain of the First Aleran Legion, realizes that a peril far greater than the Canim exists-the mysterious threat that drove the savage Canim to flee their homeland. Now, Tavi must find a way to overcome the centuries-old animosities between Aleran and Cane if an alliance is to be f ...more
Published December 4th 2007 by Ace Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Captain's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain's Fury

Evgeny
Sep 26, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This installment picks up right where the previous one left, so expect some minor spoilers that I will try to minimize. The rebellion of a High Lord still goes on; the invading force is still present in Alera. Tavi and other regulars of the series are still where they were left in the end of book 3. The High Lord of Alera decided that enough is enough and it is time to abandon the diplomacy and show people his raw power.

What is the problem with this? It left Tavi to deal with diplomacy and resu
Scott  Hitchcock
Mar 28, 2017 Scott Hitchcock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: butcher
The series has definitely gotten better each book. I'm glad I stuck with it. The less whiny Tavi gets the better.
Kaitlin
Jun 02, 2014 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
To me, this book has been the most fun in the series so far, which is great! I read this as part of the #Rainbowthon and I found myself managing to get through this is just 2 days, very exciting.

This is set in a world where magic is the norm and everyone has at least one weak Fury (kind of a magic spirit). If you are very proficient with the Fury or Furies that you control and use then it's more likely that you're a noble or someone who has a position of power, although some keep the true extent
Stephen
3.5 stars. Another excellent installment in what has turned out to be an above-average epic fantasy series. The description of the book tells enough about the story that I won't re-hash the plot and will simply point out a few things I like about the story.

The progression of Tavi from young, naive, fury-less Country boy to a veteran, capable, fury-full (is that a word) Captain of the Aleran forces has been thoughful, understandable and well done. I also find myself really liking the characters
Josh
Dec 11, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing
Butcher crafts a compelling fantasy. These are some of the first books in years that have given me chills during some of the more stirring scenes. Can't recommend the series enough. Hail Octavian!
Rob
Executive Summary: While this one didn't live up to my memory of it, it's still a really fun read with a lot to like.

Audio book: At this point, I'm used to Kate Reading as a reader and can't imagine anyone else doing it.

Full Review
I originally maintained my 5 star rating after finishing my reread, but I think if I'm honest and rate it how I would if I were reading it for the first time, it would be a solid 4 star. This book starts and ends really well, but slows down in the middle some.

Like t
Tom
Mar 28, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Perfection! 5 Every book has gotten better for me and I loved them from the beginning. Instead of a book of theories and questions it was an entire book of ANSWERS! The battle scenes were more condensed and that left more room for personal storylines. LOVE this series!
Cori Reed
Aug 18, 2016 Cori Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid addition to this series.

I've been partially listening to these books, and now there is one person ahead of me in line from the library for the audiobook of book 5. Sad.

Also, I very much appreciate that the audiobooks are narrated by a woman. In my experience, that only tends so happen when the protagonist is female, and in this case, it is not.

Edit: I've wanted to start mentioning it when fantasy authors address periods, especially male authors. Jim Butcher both acknowledged cramp
Kathleen
Nov 07, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Tavi still overcomes by depending on his wits and forming strong friendships. A good read, especially aboard the Slive with Captain Demos, and in Alera Imperia with Ambassador Vaug. Cool dueling scene at the end. Tavi learns a few things about himself, and the cause of his inhibited fury-crafting abilities.

Major problem with the characterization of Fidelius. Early in book 1, Gaius told Amara that he suspected FIDELIUS. He knew Fidelius incapable of truly understanding loyalty. He saw portents o
Jim
Another fun, quick read, although a bit predictable. The main character, Tavi, matures further & is slowly coming into his own, which is neat. The interactions with the Camin are interesting - different cultures meeting & clashing. It's nice to see that the 'good' guys aren't always perfect & often, no matter what they do, their options are limited so that they can seem pretty bad. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.
ShoSho
Dec 21, 2015 ShoSho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
Reed
Dec 01, 2008 Reed rated it liked it
The continuing adventures of Tavi and the rest of the crew. If you are a fan of the series, you know what to expect. The characters get into loads of impossible scrapes, only to somehow pull themselves through.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in this series since the second book--I spend the first quarter to third of the book trying to remember who all the characters are, and where the assorted story lines were going. I spend the next third or so thinking "I love Butcher's novels, but I'm not sur
Tosh
Jun 04, 2015 Tosh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, library-has
An exciting series that gets better with every book.

Tavi has grown so much within these 4 books, discovering some very important things about himself. Most of what he learns has in one way or another been hinted at in previous books, so I don’t really think the discoveries came as much of a surprise. Anticipating when these things would be revealed was still exciting though.

Enemies are far more faithful than friends…more dependable than allies.

Tavi’s interactions with Varg and Nasaug are som
♡Esra♡
Mar 29, 2014 ♡Esra♡ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-6-stars
Yep, this is IT for me. This is why I love Fantasy so much. I have nothing, not one single bad thing to say about this book. I LOVED IT. I can't stress that enough. THIS WAS AMAZING for me. I loved every single second of it.

At some parts it was emotional and I got teary eyed and I loved it. The battle scenes were amazing and if they weren't in this book I wouldn't love it this very much. Every time someone said Hail Gaius Octavian, I loved it AND got the chills. The parts with Canim, loved it.
John
Dec 01, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
What a great read. The series started off as a pretty solid and entertaining read but each subsequent book is better than the last. Captain's Fury continues to show Tavi's growth and continued frustration at his lack of competency in fury-crafting.

More interesting, to me, is that Isana and Fade are built into extremely interesting characters in their own right, as they have a solid plot line all there on. And yet more Bernard and Amara, who are my favorite couple in the series right now.

The big
Travis
Oct 17, 2016 Travis rated it it was amazing
This series is such an amazing adventure. The fourth book in this series is not my favorite only for one reason, they took a huge plot development from the last book and I feel like they didn't totally capitalize on it, if you know what I mean. That aside, the character development is still the best thing about this series. I love seeing the growth and relationships between all the characters evolve. My favorite characters throughout this series are constantly Isana and Amara, I just love readin ...more
Sara Price.
May 09, 2015 Sara Price. rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-owned
Some useless parts but overall an enjoyable read!
Dantezgirl
Aug 17, 2013 Dantezgirl rated it liked it

So I think I've figured Butcher's style :) And yeah, looks like we do jump two years for each consecutive books. Dunno if I like that in terms of story wise.

So Octavian and Kitai sound like they've FINALLY done the deed. Kitai FINALLY has her horse. Tavi is still Captain. And the Cane are still roaming, now with ex-slave recruits! No doubt Tavi will win the Aleran folks back to his side. AANNDD sounds like Tavi may just be boinking his Cousin or Step Sister! *Shudders* Eww! (Butcher keeps bangi
Kaila
I am not a Codex Alera fan. So far, the star spread is (links lead to the reviews):

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera #1) - 2 stars
Academ's Fury (Codex Alera #2) - 2 stars
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera #3) - 1 star
And this book, Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) - 2 stars

That's not a very good track record to continue on with. And yet, I'm still reading them. Some deep dark part of me obviously wants to know how the story is going to end, and whether any of these characters are ever going to bite it. So
Suz
Feb 04, 2017 Suz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio
4+ stars

Excellent. I love watching Tavi come into his own, and bringing everyone around him with him.

Kate Reading's narration really is excellent in this series, too. Her characters are distinct and so alive they help the reader readily achieve immersion.
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 09, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Our hero continues to grow into his destiny and things are brought out into the light for all to see in this book.
Rosanna
Dec 22, 2014 Rosanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Best book in the series so far.
Natasha M.
Yodamom
*Spoilers if you have not read the previous books
The short-Tavi's coming of age and power, the First Lord finally makes a move and love shines in Alera, War takes a huge toll.
It's all that and a bucket of chicken !

I feel like I have known Tavi all his life. Well, I have in a literary sense. He has gone from this little insecure child to an awkward teenager to this new confident capable man. He is in his early twenties now and faces some horrible circumstances, he must be the voice and mind of sa
Rossana
Jan 15, 2017 Rossana rated it it was amazing
I really don't know what else I can say about this amazing series!
This one was my favorite chapter so far. Even though I tend to like world-driven fantasy books more than action-packed ones, still I'm truly enjoying myself. I loved the story of this one, I loved the military setting and all the political aspects and I also loved to see my little babies grow and become finally adults.
Tavi is definitely one of my favorite male protagonists: he really feels like a real person, he's complex and he
Valerie
Jan 05, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Jim Butcher is a master at crafting fantasy fiction. There is just no other way to say it. This is indisputable fact.

In Captain's Fury, Butcher continues to build the pressure in his master plot. However, the book does a fantastic job of standing on its own legs, telling a complete, and totally engrossing, story. Tavi remains the central character of the book, yet Butcher has woven full tapestries of subplots with his supporting cast of characters. Their stories are just as compelling as Tavi's.
Max
Oct 18, 2011 Max rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Quite good, quite good. The series just keeps getting better and better with every book, and I am very happy that I still have two books to go.

I read the last 40% of the book in one go on a long train ride, and since there were a bunch of children in the same wagon, I put on some loud music. And I have to say, reading battle scenes while listening to The Classical Conspiracy by Epica is pretty damn epic. So, even though the story itself almost-but-not-quite-warrants a five star, the experience o
Katerina
Nov 30, 2014 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Angie
Apr 07, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy
Recommended to Angie by: the first one was a gift
Things are really changing for Tavi in this book. He's allways thought of himself and also been told that he's an orphan. Well he now knows the truth.

I like how Tavi s character is changing, he's no longer the appreniice sheep farmer on the boarders of his land. But blessings he learned there he uses in his life now. Kitai, his girlfriend is also changing. So for the better, but she's still the wild girl at heart.

So in this, Tavi has got to figure out a way to sort out the Canim invasion, and ne
Kj Lyman
May 05, 2016 Kj Lyman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was simply awesome. Only 2 more left in this series and all i can say is, IF KITAI DIES I RIOT
Romance Lovers fo...: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) by Jim Butcher [Start: January 18, 2016] 48 15 Jan 21, 2016 08:46PM
WRONG PAGE NUMBER? 1 10 Mar 26, 2015 07:57PM
Buddy Read Zone: Captain's Fury (Codex Alera #4) 88 24 Dec 20, 2014 08:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Page Number 3 26 Sep 26, 2014 08:14AM
Furies and the main charakters 4 98 Oct 20, 2011 05:36PM
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Iorich (Vlad Taltos, #12)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • The Soul Mirror (Collegia Magica, #2)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)
  • The Crimson Vault (The Traveler's Gate Trilogy, #2)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

“I've never lost a duel to the death. Not one.” 138 likes
“Tavi grinned. "Are you with me?"
"The plan is insane," Ehren said. "YOU are insane." He looked around the inside of the tent. "I'll need some pants.”
50 likes