The Sunday Tertulia

The Sunday Tertulia

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Tertulia:a gathering of confidants who share
poetic musings, secret sorrows, and savory treats.

Cherished Latin traditions and fragmented American dreams
come together in this novel that celebrates in a symphony
of seven voices, women's wisdom, sensuality, and spirituality.This is a story about Caire, a young, struggling New Yorker whose understanding of life changes after a...more
Published May 16th 2000 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday Tertulia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday Tertulia

Theresa Powers
This is a feel good book for all women. It is about a group of women who come together every week to talk about life and eat good food. The two things I love most. The advice the older women give the younger ones is invaluable. The author writes, "Isn't that where all of us begin? With doubts and questions that force us to discover ourselves what we are about, what we must do, then keep on struggling, praying, loving, dreaming, and forgiving."
Debbie
I really enjoyed this book. A great story of friendships between women, full of wonderful advice and philosophy. Claire a young New Yorker meets with a group of older and wiser Latina women once a month to learn and be inspired. We can all learn something from these wonderful women.
"Carlson's love and appreciation for Latin cadences comes through on every page" Los Angeles Times....I couldn't agree more.

Meranda
I just barely rated it "it was ok". It was boring. There were bits and pieces of unique snippets of wisdom throughout the book that I enjoyed. My favorite "Routine so clouds the extraordinary qualities of our friendships, our work, and our homes." I couldn't agree more.
Pam
A short but pleasant read. It reminded me of a satisfying afternoon with friends you value and love, women who are willing to cross that line and care enough to talk over the awkward, painful, or confusing areas of life.
Nita
This was an ok novel to pass the time. liked the cultural component
Cassy
This book was kind of disappointing. It was just "ok".
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Sonia
Sonia added it
Sep 05, 2014
Loida
Loida marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Lmiddlecarr
Lmiddlecarr marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Lori Marie Carlson was born in Jamestown, New York. She went to college at Indiana University, earning a MA in Hispanic Literature. She has taught at several universities.

Carlson has written several books for children and young adults, including Cool Salsa and Sol a Sol. The Sunday Tertulia is her first novel for adults.
More about Lori Marie Carlson...
Cool Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Growing Up Hispanic in the United States Red Hot Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Being Young and Latino in the United States Moccasin Thunder: American Indian Stories for Today The Flamboyant American Eyes: New Asian-American Short Stories for Young Adults