Start by marking “The Sunday Tertulia” as Want to Read:
The Sunday Tertulia

The Sunday Tertulia

3.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Tertulia:a gathering of confidants who share
poetic musings, secret sorrows, and savory treats.

Cherished Latin traditions and fragmented American dreams
come together in this novel that celebrates in a symphony
of seven voices, women's wisdom, sensuality, and spirituality.This is a story about Caire, a young, struggling New Yorker whose understanding of life changes after a
Published May 16th 2000 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Sunday Tertulia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunday Tertulia

Donna
Apr 23, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrator, Claire, the only “gringa” and the youngest of the women at the tertulai, tells how she first met Isabela, the hostess of the Sunday tertulia which was held monthly in Isabela’s New York apartment. Claire was a young college graduate, new to New York city, but stuggling financially and living in a sub-let apartment. She was in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden one day writing when a gust of wind blew her page away and Isabela picked it up. Their friendship began. Isabela invited Claire to ...more
Evelyn
Jul 28, 2016 Evelyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Words of advise about life and relationships from a group of wise Latina women. Unfortunately the novel lacks a plot and does not flesh out the characters of the wise women nor the narrator. It also lacks the charm of "Like Water for Chocolate" which is apparently influenced this novel. After reading it, I wondered whether his novel would have been published if the author was not the partner of a prize-winning author given its episodic nature and that much of what is presented in it would be bet ...more
Sara
Jul 08, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
Boring.
Michelle Athanas
Jun 03, 2016 Michelle Athanas rated it it was amazing
You do not have to be Latina to fully appriciate this book! Old spanish sayings are sprinkled throughout the story. I loved the relationships between the "sabia" wise women and the "gringa" with latin sensibilities. They include her in thier inner circle. It's group therapy with food!
Kathy
Aug 14, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
women's conversations on lifes issues at a Sunday Tertulia - a meal and comfort group once a month.
Theresa Powers
Dec 20, 2011 Theresa Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a feel good book for all women. It is about a group of women who come together every week to talk about life and eat good food. The two things I love most. The advice the older women give the younger ones is invaluable. The author writes, "Isn't that where all of us begin? With doubts and questions that force us to discover ourselves what we are about, what we must do, then keep on struggling, praying, loving, dreaming, and forgiving."
Debbie
Sep 01, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. A great story of friendships between women, full of wonderful advice and philosophy. Claire a young New Yorker meets with a group of older and wiser Latina women once a month to learn and be inspired. We can all learn something from these wonderful women.
"Carlson's love and appreciation for Latin cadences comes through on every page" Los Angeles Times....I couldn't agree more.

Meranda
Jul 17, 2012 Meranda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just barely rated it "it was ok". It was boring. There were bits and pieces of unique snippets of wisdom throughout the book that I enjoyed. My favorite "Routine so clouds the extraordinary qualities of our friendships, our work, and our homes." I couldn't agree more.
Pam
Dec 13, 2013 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short but pleasant read. It reminded me of a satisfying afternoon with friends you value and love, women who are willing to cross that line and care enough to talk over the awkward, painful, or confusing areas of life.
Nita
Jun 09, 2013 Nita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok novel to pass the time. liked the cultural component
Cassy
Dec 30, 2012 Cassy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was kind of disappointing. It was just "ok".
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
M
M rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Joann Maneri
Joann Maneri rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Lisa 4
Lisa 4 rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Beth Clark
Beth Clark marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Muhammad Danish
Muhammad Danish rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Nov 10, 2015
Shelby Schwab
Shelby Schwab rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Yarimar Morales
Yarimar Morales marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lori Marie Carlson was born in Jamestown, New York. She went to college at Indiana University, earning a MA in Hispanic Literature. She has taught at several universities.

Carlson has written several books for children and young adults, including Cool Salsa and Sol a Sol. The Sunday Tertulia is her first novel for adults.
More about Lori Marie Carlson...