Start by marking “Fairy Tale Feasts: A Literary Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tale Feasts: A Literary Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters

Fairy Tale Feasts: A Literary Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters (Fairy Tale Cookbooks)

From the earliest days, when hunters told of their exploits round the campfire, stories and eating have been companions. This book includes culinary-themed folk stories, retelling legendary tales such as how Jack traded his cow for beans and why Hansel and Gretel were lured into the gingerbread house.
Published May 10th 2006 by Crocodile Books (first published April 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tale Feasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tale Feasts

Nancy Kotkin
Text: 5 stars
Illustrations: 4 stars

Brilliant concept for a children's cookbook created by Jane Yolen and her daughter. With your child, read the fairy tale and then try to make the corresponding recipe. Strong connections between the tales and the dishes. Nice assortment of recipes covering all three meals with additional sections for soups and desserts. Also includes extra information about the fairy tales and some food facts in asides. Modern, whimsical illustrations add to the child appeal of
Heidi
Jan 31, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
what a fun idea! you read the fairytale with your kids, and then make the dish. genius! i think i'll order this for myself on half.com so i don't have to keep renewing at my library! check it out if you love to cook with your kids.
Katrina
Jul 06, 2011 Katrina rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. Yolen retells the fairy tales in an engaging manner, with nice asides and additional tidbits of info, the recipes are fabulous, and the illustrations are engaging. Madeline and Erik love this book. It will be a gift for nieces and buddies.
Luann
I had never realized there are so many folktales with a food component! I love the idea for this book. I did expect a bit more from the fairy tales themselves, being retold by Jane Yolen. They did seem very simple - especially in the beginning. Some of the recipes were a bit simple, too, but that's probably okay since they are meant for young children to be helping out. Some of them do sound very delicious. Overall, I liked the variety of stories chosen and how the recipes link to the stories.

T
Relyn
May 27, 2009 Relyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: parents who haven't read that many fairy tales
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the author
If you know me at all, you know I love fairy tales. If you know me, you know I love teaching and that I'm always on the hunt for novel ways to connect with books.

Well. Jane Yolen is maybe my favorite author. Hard to say. I have so many favorites. She's definitely in the top five at all times. This book is a collaboration between Jane and her daughter, Heidi. The best thing I can say for it is that it is a very cool idea. I got some great ideas for which foods to combine with what stories. Howev
Danielle
May 11, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it
A great book for parents with a young kid who likes to help out in the kitchen. The recipes were simple and I liked the way they also provided some alternative ways of dressing up what were pretty plain and easy dishes; the recipes had that nice, laid-back feel that you could play mix-and-match with ingredients and just enjoy yourself with cooking. I've tried the 'sea-shell pasta' recipe and loved it. I wasn't as fussed with the retellings as I thought I'd be; they seemed fairly close to the ori ...more
Deb
Sep 20, 2007 Deb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairytale fanatics and cookbook nerds
This is a really excellent cookbook for kids! Easy recipes blend with stories that explain them, giving a reason behind the seasonings and that extra oomph that some people need for inspiration to cook.

In the forward, Yolen talks about the syncronicity between the development of stories and recipes - how details change depending on the audience, what's available, how much you remember...

Yolen encourages people to try the recipe as-is, then has a few suggestions on the side on how to customize. S
Kellie
Jun 13, 2010 Kellie rated it liked it
Shelves: children, parenting
This is a book that re-tells classic stories and has recipes to accompany them (like Jack and the Beanstalk with a recipe for Jack's Magic Beans aka pork and beans). The recipes themselves are good but nothing all that special or new. However, the presentation has been very successful in our house. My two younger girls have each picked stories with recipes they helped me cook and were then enthusiastic about a dinner I think they otherwise may have turned their nose up to a bit. So good, but bes ...more
Jackie Tilks
I bought this book at the American Writers' Programs Book Fair. I picked it up because I have a dream to write Children's books some day and the concept of fairy tales and recipes together in one book for kids intrigued me. This book was so accessible for young readers and so much fun for the family to get involved. I envisioned reading a story to a child on a Friday night and then making the recipe that went with the story on Saturday. I had heard Jane Yolen speak during the conference but didn ...more
Heidi-Marie
I love the concept of this book--a short fairy tale followed by a recipe or two. And the tales are told by Jane Yolen who usually does a good job. Skimming through, I saw a couple that weren't too bad. But then I saw a couple of others that seemed a bit "borderline" for me and I could not personally recommend them in a book talk. I could just hear parents coming back saying, "Did you know...?!" Let them discover that themself and choose how to react, instead of blaming me for the opinion and rev ...more
Kristine Mathias
Mar 31, 2014 Kristine Mathias rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of fairy tales with a recipe to match each one. Each recipe is from the fairy tale on that page. For instance Jack and the Beanstalk has a recipe for Jack's Magic Party Beans. The recipes are kid friendly and tasty. Although there are no illustrations of what the recipe will produce you will see it in the illustrations for that particular fairy tale.

You could add this book to a Math unit and cook one of the recipes with your class!
Samantha Penrose
Outstanding! You get a bit of folklore with some cultural backstory in the margins, followed by recipes taken from, or inspired by the story along with loads of kick ass food history in the margins! You get twenty stories, some of which were new to me which is awesome, adorable illustrations, and twenty-five recipes. Loved it. Just found out while navigating to this book in goodreads that there are quite a few books in this series. I'm going to need to read them all!
Andrea
Sep 30, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Love! This! Book! What a wonderful way to spend some time with your kids. We did one story with its corresponding recipe on our free evenings. The author does a great job of telling each tale without laying the moral/point of it out in your face. That leaves the kids open to draw some inferences and do a little critical thinking. Kindergarten through fifth grade ideal.
Kate
Mar 18, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This little book has a bunch of fairy tales and a recipe to go with each. The illustrations are good, too.

A fun way to either expand on the story telling, or make cooking a little more fun.
Beka
Nov 09, 2011 Beka rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Amateurish. I like the idea of reading a fairy tale and having a corresponding food, but this could have been done better.
Katie Hauser
Apr 24, 2012 Katie Hauser rated it really liked it
I prepared to book talk this for class and will be book talking it again this summer. This is a fun book for families to explore and enjoy over time or all together in one sitting.
Beth
Apr 17, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
The marginalia is my favorite part. It's a clever concept, but I'm glad that I checked it out from the library. I've read more interesting cookbooks for kids.
Becca
May 17, 2011 Becca rated it it was ok
Shelves: foods
I like the concept. This book had some fun recipe connections to fairy tales. The tales themselves were too abbreviated for me, but enjoyable nonetheless.
paula
Stories with recipes, not a cookbook inspired by fairy tales. No index. Awfully cute, and with neat fun fact sidebars.
Turrean
A collection of fairy tales. Each tale is matched with a recipe or two. The tales are simply told, but are not for the youngest kids.
Neem
Neem rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2007
stephanie
stephanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Leeta Dore
Leeta Dore rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Wallkrawler
Wallkrawler rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Abraham Ray
Abraham Ray rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2011
Amiee
Amiee rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Narnia Cookbook: Foods from C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • Roald Dahl's Even More Revolting Recipes
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • The Once Upon a Time Map Book
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • Salad People and More Real Recipes: A New Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up
  • The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's THE SECRET GARDEN
  • Cook Me a Story: A treasury of stories and recipes inspired by classic fairy tales
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • The Lazy Gourmet: Magnificent Meals Made Easy
  • Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook
  • College Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Mountain of Marvels: A Celtic Tale of Magic, Retold from the Mabinogion
  • Mary Poppins in the Kitchen: A Cookery Book with a Story (Mary Poppins, #8)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

Fairy Tale Cookbooks (5 books)
  • Fairy Tale Lunches: A Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters
  • Fairy Tale Breakfasts: A Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters
  • Fairy Tale Desserts: A Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters
  • Fairy Tale Dinners: A Cookbook For Young Readers And Eaters (Fairy Tale Cookbooks)