Start by marking “Do Like a Duck Does!” as Want to Read:
Do Like a Duck Does!

Do Like a Duck Does!

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  45 reviews
"Story hour alert! Here’s a book with a clever premise, a bouncy text, and sunny, funny pictures. . . . Supremely satisfying." — BOOKLIST (starred review)

Mama Duck has a good hunch that the big brown creature waddling behind her babies is no duck! As the foxy impostor sneaks closer and closer to Mama Duck’s trailing brood, little ones will delight in shouting out his ident
Published February 13th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Do Like a Duck Does!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Like a Duck Does!

Lesley Dahlseng
Mama Duck is no fool when a foxy stranger attempts to sneak up on her ducklings. “Do you think you’re a duck?” she asks. When the fox answers that indeed he is a big brown duck, he must then attempt to prove himself. “Do like a duck does,” Mama Duck insists. Fox’s aversion to muck and beetles is not convincing, even despite his waddles and quacks. It turns out that Mama Duck is more cunning than the wily fox in this story, when she leads him right into the river. Fox is in no mood to continue hi ...more
Makayla
Someone is trying to fit in with mama duck and her five ducklings. Is this stranger really up for mama ducks tests she has in store for him to prove if whether or not he really is a duck? I would definitely recommend this book to others, it’s a fun loving book that children will love and interact with.

Spoilers follow below…

The protagonist is the fox who tries to play off as being a duck to eat the ducklings. The antagonist is mama duck, she’s trying to prevent the fox from eating her young and c
Jordan Brovelli
I chose this book for one of my picture story books because I really enjoyed the cover. It got my attention because it looked like a funny book since the fox is acting like a duck. I think kindergarteners would get a kick out of this book. It could be a great opportunity to have the children interact with the book because there are silly sounds that the duck and the fox make as the strut around. For example, when the ducks and the fox are being led by mama and they say "Hup Hup Hup." This would ...more
Heidi
I love the pictures. And the story is fun. I really like the Mama Duck. I've seen this recommended for storytimes. It's too much for my toddler (aka infant) group. But is it too young for my preschool group?

8/10/10 & 8/12/10 This book turned out perfectly! The kids loved it so much. I think they loved the fact that they knew it was a fox from the beginning, and then enjoyed watching him try to be a duck and fail. By the second storytime I got better in reading it and putting in more animatio
Alice
This book was good enough...but I didn't love it. It seems I read a lot of books like this...in rhymes (which I do like) but a fox, or wolf or bear is trying to portray themselves as the animal it wants to eat...so...the pictures are nice but the story is predicable... it was good enough but not an all time favorite!!
Ruth Ann
No one can "pull the wool" over Mama Duck's eyes! Not even a clever fox.

Perfect for a duck/spring storytime.
Vivian
Sing the finger game song "Five Little Ducks" before sharing this book to get into the spirit of this hilarious story.

Five little ducks went out to play (hold up five fingers)
Over the hill and far away (move hand over shoulder and behind back)
When mother duck said "Quack, quack, quack" (clap hands three times)
Only four little ducks came back. (hold up four fingers)

Repeat til there are no ducks (fingers) and then suggest mother duck might call louder. Quack! Quack! Quack! (clap loudly three times
Ashley Fischer
The illustrations in this book really use great texture. The text on the trees, of the fox and the ducks is wonderful. With texture it gives the feeling of a real scene rather than just a general concept of what is happening. Also the illustrator does really well with using direction to direct the eyes of the viewer in the way they would like the viewer to look. The illustrator has positioned the characters in positions that point in the direction the viewer should look next. The illustrator als ...more
Erin
In Do Like a Duck Does a mama duck challenges a fox to prove he’s really what he says he is, a duck just like her and her ducklings. She takes him on a little duck adventure to prove him wrong, and with each activity along the way the fox becomes more and more discouraged, finally giving up. Its charming watercolor illustrations are soft and expressive, showing the fox’s fool-headedness and the mama duck’s smarts. This story is filled with repetition, rhyme, and onomatopoeia, making it an appeal ...more
Jennifer RDG 3320
This was the book that I used corresponding to Five little monkeys sitting in a tree. This book also helps the students to visualize how to count. When using these two books I had the students help me make charts stating what they thought the book was about by looking at the cover, what they knew at the end, and how the two books were alike. Using the hula hoops for this lesson and having the students place the correct word card in the circle was really great for kindergarten. The students were ...more
Ashlyn Kesler
Rhyme. Repetition of events. Onomatopoeia.
Alison Slack
Language Feature: rhyming/ sound mimic
Amber Basinger
The illustrations in this book are amazing. Bates uses a lot of texture in this paintings which make the pictures come to life. Younger children, especially kindergarten and first graders, will enjoy this book as they try to help Mama Duck find out about the fox.The students will pick up on the rhyming throughout the story, and soon be reading along. Students would be able to relate this book with many other traditional folklore.
Tiffany
What happens when a fox sets his sites on mama and baby ducklings? Mama gets wise! The fox may be tricky, but Mama Duck is smarter, putting the fox through a series of tests to see if he's really a duck, until finally he ends up drenched after chasing the ducklings into the pond. The book makes a good jumping off point for talking about dealing with strangers, and has a good message.
Courtney Turpen
The picture of this fox trying to act like a duck is fun. The illustrations go along great with this rhyming story line. The scary hairy fox tried all along to trick and fit in with the ducks, even though mother duck knew all along that it was a fox. She put her plan into action and had the fox running home. This book is fantastic for younger grades.
Mary
This book is great for ECE readers because of its presentation of animals and the fun, rhyming way the story is presented. A fox tries to sneak in with a group of ducks, but mama duck is too smart for him! Children will love the sounds this story has and they have the opportunity to act like a duck just like the ducks in the story.
Dolores Colarosa
I'm not sure who had more fun with this story...me or the children! I loved the fact that the kids knew right from the start that the fox really isn't a duck, and their comments were hilarious! I followed the story with "Mama Duck" song, which reinforces counting as well as listening skills. Fun, fun!!
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/20/11 -

This is a really fun little story. Julia had a really good time listening to it. The Mother duck is a hoot with her questions to the fox.
The pictures aren't bad, the animals are adorable of course. I think kids a little younger than Julia (she's 6) will love it even more.
Kirsten
A tried and true favorite of story times at our library. DO LIKE A DUCK DOES combines cute pictures, loud words and rhyming to something so simple as a fox wanting his next meal. Sadly, our copy is old and needs to be weeded, but hopefully we'll get another!
Msjennifers Corner
A story of a tricky fox attempting to infiltrate a duck family. Not when mama duck is around to root out the trickery. She plays along with him leading him to a bad fate that will send him packing for home empty handed and empty stomached!
Devony
Aug 14, 2007 Devony rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This was such a fun book! The illustrations (by Ivan Bates) are adorable and the text is very ryhthmic and lilting - you can't help but sing it. It's an adorable must have for ANY collection!
Kayla
We were reading a series of books in class today and this was one of them that one of the students brought in. It was a cute book, very rhythmic and great for a group of young kids.
Bethany
I love it when my "quick grabs" at the library become favorite reads. The clever mother duck wind my heart and the kids love to laugh at the silly not-so-sly fox.
Rebecca
We enjoyed reading this book for storytime together. That mama duck sure knows how to put a fox in his place (or maybe he just wasn't very hungry).
Michael D.
Children will love this math book which encourages the discussion of categories and classification. I think they will find it very amusing to imitate a duck.
Lisa Houlihan
I read this to the two Head Start classes through the library program I volunteer for. Great illustrations and concept but the "like" instead of "as" chafes.
Paula

By challenging a hairy stranger to imitate the behavior of herself and her ducklings, a mother duck proves that he is a fox and not a duck.
Nancy
An Anna Grace favorite, recently re-discovered. Fun rhymes and cutesy clever-- I didn't mind reading it a couple hundred times!
Penny
Full of fun. Momma duck is not sure that that brown fellow at the end of her string of children is the real thing...
Ecl  Storytellers
I love how big the print is on this one. A rhyming story of a fox trying to mimic the duck family. Storytime winner.
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Wiggle
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
  • The Perfect Nest
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
  • Say Hello Like This!
Judy Hindley, who has written more than fifty books for children, has a special knack for capturing the language and subjects that delight preschoolers. Among her books are THE BIG RED BUS, THE PERFECT LITTLE MONSTER, and THE BEST THING ABOUT A PUPPY. She is also the author of the immensely popular EYES, NOSE, FINGERS, AND TOES and DO LIKE A DUCK DOES.
More about Judy Hindley...
Usborne Time Traveler Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes Does a Cow Say Boo? Sleepy Places Baby Talk