Start by marking “Daring to Look: Dorothea Lange's Photographs and Reports from the Field” as Want to Read:
Daring to Look: Dorothea Lange's Photographs and Reports from the Field

Daring to Look: Dorothea Lange's Photographs and Reports from the Field

Daring to Look presents never-before-published photos and captions from Dorothea Lange’s fieldwork in California, the Pacific Northwest, and North Carolina during 1939. Lange’s images of squatter camps, benighted farmers, and stark landscapes are stunning, and her captions—which range from simple explanations of settings to historical notes and biographical sketches—add un ...more
Published July 15th 2008 by University Of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about Daring to Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daring to Look

Jul 26, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Overlooked for years, this book finally pairs Dorothea Lange's incredible photography with her field notes. As she worked for the WPA during the 1930s, part of her job was to talk to and gather notes about what she was seeing. Although her photos tell important tales, her words truly reflect how she was able to connect with the people she met and preserve their stories for decades.
Lisamary
Jul 28, 2011 Lisamary rated it really liked it
Spirn is an amazing author, she tries to understand her subjects from within their own skin. Lange is not one of may favorite photographers from an aesthetic perspective, she shares the lack of subtlety more typical of one generation earlier. She is, however, one of my heroes. This book will help you to understand why the ambivalence
Deigh
Jan 20, 2012 Deigh rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book full of great images from a very difficult time in our country. I really appreciated the in-depth captions on the images and the field notes - they added so much to the understanding of the times and the images. A keeper for sure.
Emmie
Mar 27, 2012 Emmie rated it really liked it
Stephanie Holt
Jan 11, 2015 Stephanie Holt rated it it was amazing
The stunning photography by Dorothea Lange tells a story of hard times. While I greatly enjoyed the whole book, especially the Dorothea's photographs, for me the most valuable section was Part Three:Then and Now. Anne Whiston Spirn uses her images, taken in 2006, to represent her own vision of the area Lange explored in 1939. Reading about how much the landscape has changed but the struggles haven't was absolutely heartbreaking. Of utmost interest is a section about her time with Richard White, ...more
Jessica McCann
Jun 15, 2013 Jessica McCann rated it it was amazing
The photos in this book are stunning and paint a dramatic portrait of the people and times in 1939. I was especially drawn to Lange's notes, which she took in the field, and to her approach in meeting people, enabling them to let their guards down and capturing images that show her subjects' emotions and surroundings. It's providing great inspiration and insight for my current novel-in-progress set in the 1930s.
Rinku
Oct 06, 2014 Rinku rated it really liked it
Her pictures are timeless and of people we normally don't get to see in photographs. The lives of impoverished people in black and white photographs is powerful. There are some images that will stay with me forever. I enjoyed reading her prose about her photographs and seeing comments of the people in the pictures in their own words.
V
Jan 16, 2016 V rated it it was amazing
Jaw dropping photographs that show how the western regions of our country were cultivated, farmed and settled in the late 1930s. Excellent commentary throughout the book as well. A MUST READ for anyone who thinks he or she has it 'tough' in America today.
Curtis Nugent
Sep 11, 2014 Curtis Nugent rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
This book is more than just an exhibition of Lange's photos. Spirn had access to Lange's notes and this gives us insight to the socio-economic realities of the times.
Ron Stafford
Dec 19, 2014 Ron Stafford rated it it was amazing
Great book, great insight into the mind of a photographer. She is so much more than Migrant Mother, and an inspiration to me.
andy
andy rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Victor
Victor rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Farhad
Farhad rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2009
Bexy Ross
Bexy Ross rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2009
Velvetink
Velvetink rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2010
jenny
jenny rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2010
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2008
Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2011
Alison Mansfield
Alison Mansfield rated it liked it
May 01, 2017
Athena
Athena rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2010
John Stevens
John Stevens rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
Carla
Carla rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Abby
May 29, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it
The pictures are interesting, but the prose less so.
Andrew Guidroz
Andrew Guidroz rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Matthew Mahlstedt
Matthew Mahlstedt rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2011
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Wedding Videography Jacksonville FL - Videographer | Jax Video 1 1 Oct 14, 2014 09:37PM