Start by marking “The Red Badge of Courage (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Red Badge of Courage (Great Illustrated Classics)

The Red Badge of Courage (Great Illustrated Classics)

For generations, readers have enjoyed classic literature. They have delighted in the romance of Jane Austen, thrilled at the adventures of Jules Verne, and pondered the lessons of Aesop. Introduce young readers to these familiar volumes with Great Illustrated Classics. In this series, literary masterworks have been adapted for young scholars. Large, easy-to-read type and c ...more
Published December 3rd 2005 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published November 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Badge of Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Badge of Courage

Dane Hyer
Nov 10, 2015 Dane Hyer rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot and learned a lot from it
Naomi
Jan 18, 2017 Naomi rated it really liked it
The Red Badge of Courage was a great illustrated story about the Civil War and the 304th regiment. It is a great st0ry about what the war was like and how it affected people. I hope whoever reads this book enjoys it.
Clay C. 8
Mar 06, 2017 Clay C. 8 rated it liked it
The book of war the red badge of courage by Malvina Vogel is a book about a war and how they fought them. They would stop and fight then run and it would happen over and over again and it told how people died. In the end the book was just the same thing over and over and it was just not a fun book to read or understand there language of war. What I liked is how they one at the end and did not give up. To not give up is probably the life lesson. If the author took more time on his books I think t ...more
Bearcatgary
Feb 20, 2017 Bearcatgary rated it really liked it
The story of a young soldier who within a span of 2 days transforms from a cowardly deserter into a courageous hero during the Battle of Chancellorsville of the Civil War. I read the Great Illustrated Classic version of the story because I will probably never have the time to read the unedited version.
Collin Sommers
Oct 22, 2014 Collin Sommers rated it really liked it
I read the book The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. I thought this book was really well written. The book was from a first person point of view about the civil war. You could find out how tough these battles were and how hard it was to be a soldier during those times.

This book takes place in Virginia during the time of the civil war. The main character in this book was Henery Fleming who is 18 years old and wanted to have the pride in being a Union soldier. Throughout the book Henery is
Andrew
Jun 05, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, military
I read this book when I was a boy (I think around 10-12 maybe, living in VA) and I remember not liking it very much. I wanted a war story - death, destruction and heroes. While there are elements of that in the book, it is mostly a story of a self-deluded young man's experiences at war and Crane's commentary on courage in battle. It definitely was not a satisfying read, almost, 20 years ago.

Reading it again though I appreciated it a lot more. Whether it's maturity or being able to relate to the
Martin
Feb 02, 2015 Martin rated it liked it
What made this book fascinating to me was the realization that the author never went to war, but supposed what it would have been like for the protagonist in the situation that he drew up for him, and seemed to have nailed it after cross-checking his fictions with Union soldiers - who knew the facts

A century later, the psychological reactions of the main character to his personal trauma checks out with research, specifically that of survivors who endure mostly or entirely unscathed despite horro
Leo Walsh
Dec 04, 2015 Leo Walsh rated it really liked it
In "The Red Badge of Courage," you watch a young, inexperienced kid growing up in the middle of the Civil War. He grows from having immature, Romantic visions of war -- "Come home carrying your shield, or on it" -- through terror at being killed to the realization that death is part of life.

At the time, I am sure this book was remarkable. This is no macho John Wayne-style adventure story where generals representing eternal ideals fight in Olympian struggle of strategy. Instead, its told from ey
Maegan
Apr 06, 2015 Maegan rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
satisfaction/enjoyment rate: 68%

This book served its purpose as required school reading, giving me quality insight for the normal, unknown circumstances inside war and battle. The writing did cause a lot of confusion for me and seemed too much but not enough at many times. Through practically the first half of the book, I had only a vague sense of what was occurring. However after examining the given details on Sparknotes lol, I came to understand the book much better and I began to enjoy it.

Ev
Kevin
Nov 16, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing
I think this book was very challenging. It had some tough vocabulary words that I was unfamiliar with. I think this book was one of the best I've ever read because it pushed me to become a better reader. It is a classic story about the Civil War. The book has two main characters Henry Fleming and his best friend(Tom}. This book is told from Henry Fleming's point of view. It is about sacrifice and courage. For example, he had to have courage to pick up the flag after it fell during battle. It's c ...more
Brandon Swarrow
Feb 10, 2010 Brandon Swarrow rated it it was ok
I truly love the way Crane writes. His Realism, his ability to fit so much powerful descriptive language in a paragraph without being too wordy, and his fearless approach to storytelling is awesome. This book is a classic because it was unique, the first of its kind, and so many other books and movies have been done about war that "The Red Badge of Courage" is definitely the original war story. After all that praise, the book lacks action, the dialect is annoying, and is difficult to get into. I ...more
Andrew Park
Jan 11, 2016 Andrew Park rated it it was amazing
This story is very good. Powerful in its message, the book enchants you, making you wonder what will happen next. I could follow Henry, the main character's, actions through the vivid and concise words used to tell the story. This book also let me think up of the setting, characters, and places, fully letting me read the story in the best way possible. You must read this book, no matter when, in your lifetime.
Jodi
Jul 14, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Read this book for the first time in junior high and remember liking it. It is good but I think I got the "watered down" abridged version. Still good but a quick read. I remember being floored when I learned what the red badge of courage was for the first time and as an adult honestly don't know if I could go into a battle like that! Eek! Horrifying!
Kyle Hengesbach
Sep 13, 2015 Kyle Hengesbach rated it liked it
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane tells us a story about a cowardly soldier in the civil war who turns hero. This book is a very good description of the life of a soldier in the civil war even though it isn't a true story. If you are interested in history or war books and want an easy read this is the book for you.
Macie Vieira
The red badge of courage is about men in the 304th regiment fighting the rebels to win land. When they say red badge of courage it means they've been wounded but are still fighting and trying their hardest to win. I really liked this book because it was very energetic and had a lot of action in it. I would recommend this book to people who like history books about war and men that are very brave.
Carol
Mar 24, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Well written and descriptive narrative of battle. Crane clearly shows that soldiers are swept up in their surroundings and influences of their peers and commanders. None seem to consider the overarching reason for the war they are engaged in.
Keith Schafer
Sep 14, 2015 Keith Schafer rated it liked it
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane, Is about a soldier in the civil war that started out as a coward but became hero. In this book you will see that it talks about the life of a civil soldier. This book is for the one person out there who wants to read about the civil war.
Michelle L.
Apr 13, 2015 Michelle L. rated it liked it
I wish this would have had more information/facts about the Civil War for my students as we have been studying this. The language is difficult and the quotes are confusing to read and understand for my 5th graders.
Karalee Hoge
Aug 27, 2015 Karalee Hoge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the language was difficult, I enjoyed this realistic portrayal of the Civil War. The author's perspective and relating of the events got the reader involved with this time period. I definitely liked how realistic is was compared to other novels I've read about the Civil War.
Hayes
Feb 25, 2011 Hayes added it
a good book for aboy to enjoy
Marts  (Thinker)
Nov 21, 2007 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
The story of a young Union soldier during the battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia in the 1800s
Wedwabbit
Apr 26, 2013 Wedwabbit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I now want to watch the movie Glory. This book started a little slow but ended very well.
Nancy Packard
Mar 03, 2015 Nancy Packard rated it really liked it
made for a good book discussion. Had to look up a lot of words
Caleb
Mar 06, 2015 Caleb rated it liked it
This is a book about bravery, duty and war. It is an all time classic, and is still an excellent book.
Isaiah Buchholz
Jan 27, 2016 Isaiah Buchholz rated it it was amazing
I thought it was good.
Michael Fleming
Michael Fleming rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Msbookworm
Msbookworm rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Jim Scanlon
Jim Scanlon rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Pride and Prejudice (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Alice in Wonderland (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)