Start by marking “Amma: Healing the Heart of the World” as Want to Read:
Amma: Healing the Heart of the World

Amma: Healing the Heart of the World

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The spiritual leader Mata Amritandamayi more commonly known as Amma, is considered by many in India to be a living saint. This biography follows her life from her harrowing childhood through to her rise to prominence as a respected, international religious leader and humanitarian.
Published May 1st 2001 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Amma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amma

Carolyn
I loved reading the story of Amma. She is a healer in a world of a lot of suffering. Amma was born in India, and grew up being quite eccentric and different than others. It was soon realized she had special healing powers and she came to be viewed as a person with saintly potential. It is claimed that she performed miraculous healing feats, such as sucking out the toxins in the wounds of lepers and causing them to heal. She has become known as the hugging saint, in which, people, mostly her devo ...more
Bw Palm
Mar 15, 2015 Bw Palm rated it really liked it
Interesting read. My friend worked at her hospital in India for one year.(She is a radiologist.)
Amma typically hugs 50,000 people in one evening and then will travel to another town and do the same. Amma had a very hard childhood but overcame all adversity to become a top religious leader.
RemembranceOfThingsPabst
Jun 23, 2015 RemembranceOfThingsPabst rated it really liked it
I love Amma. I am a Christian, but I believe Amma is the Divine Mother in the body of a woman.

I've read a couple of books in the Amma canon— maybe this one is the best? I'm not sure Amma translates well into the written word. Amma must be experienced!
Ashima
Jan 09, 2008 Ashima rated it it was amazing
Amma, the spiritual god, has been with all of us at all times. We believe her, as she believes us. She knows what is right and wrong; she knows what will happen; she knows what we are thinking; and she knows the language of nature.

'Amma : Healing the Heart of the World' is an excellent book which takes us into the world of freedom, and a must read for any person, whether he is spiritual or not. Her hug and her touch are so wonderful, that you feel you are born again with amma's grace!
Therese
Oct 28, 2007 Therese rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Very spirtually motivating. Amma,(meaning mother) has carved out her legacy with hugging around the world and unconditionally sharing her healing gifts. This simply yet profoundly confirms the importance of human touch and it's powers to heal.
Cheryl
Feb 20, 2012 Cheryl added it
Amma is my Guru, therefore I have a bias, but her books are inspiring, and bring a beautiful simplicity to our spiritual lives. Her service to this world is unparalled. Easy to read, but life changing if you have not read.
Rwildfon
Jan 13, 2011 Rwildfon rated it it was amazing
Amma is thought to be a living saint. Check her out, go get a hug if you can get to where she travels and get back to me about it.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
this is a must read if you enjoy furthing your knowledge of spirituality!
Dennis
Oct 26, 2007 Dennis rated it liked it
Must read-3
Kept my attention-3
Important-3
John
Jan 07, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
If you haven't been graced by Amma's darshan, read the book and discover for yourself.
Johari Sims
Nov 02, 2008 Johari Sims rated it it was amazing
My Guru. My Love.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
S
S rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Marissag
Marissag marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Jenni Munne
Jenni Munne rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Siva M
Siva M rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
AJ Lotus
AJ Lotus rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Aya BH
Aya BH marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Marijke
Marijke rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2015
Carolina Sponza
Carolina Sponza rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Jenny Mcintyre
Jenny Mcintyre rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Tammy
Tammy added it
Jan 20, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Emma Andromacy
Emma Andromacy rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Anu
Anu rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014