Start by marking “The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy” as Want to Read:
The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy

The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,970 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This sparkling sequel to WIZARDS OF ODD once again turns logic on its head, with a galaxy of star writers and stories. Terry Pratchett, the arch-priest of the genre, leads off with the eccentric figure of DEATH, on new and curious mission, Roald Dahl plays havoc with country superstition, and Arthur C. Clarke shows the funny side of cosmic doom. Add to these dazzling contr ...more
Published February 4th 1999 by Orbit (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Flying Sorcerers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flying Sorcerers

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodDeath of a Salesman by Arthur MillerBartleby the Scrivener by Herman MelvilleThe Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareThe Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Jobs, Career, Vocation
210th out of 373 books — 42 voters
Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Children's books I wish I read as a kid
292nd out of 321 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

Monika
lekkie i przyjemne historyjki!
Max Ostrovsky
Less funny "ha ha," and more funny "huh."

Stanislaw Lem makes the entire book worth reading. Even though it's a collection and sure, you could just read the one Lem story, the comparison to everything else in the book only makes it stand out as spectacular that much more.
Of course, there were other truly great stories, but the Lem story so overshadows everything else, it deserves mention. The Clarke story is also very impressive.
Sherlock Holmes in space did want me to smack my head, but it was
Ana Vicente
Jun 26, 2013 Ana Vicente rated it liked it
Marvyn Peake's "Danse Macabre" is lovely, but I have no idea why it's included in a collection of comic SF&F stories, and the same with Angela Carter's "The Lady of the House of Love" - while some of the other stories are not necessarily comic in nature, they all have humorous element, but not so much with these two.

Piers Anthony's "Possible to Rue" is probably my favourite of all the stories in this book, it starts like a nice little bit of domesticity and then whams you right in the parad
Sep 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I really wanted to like this book because it's a compilation of short fantasy stories from some of my favorite authors, like Terry Pratchett and Roald Dahl, but it wasn't to be. Some of the stories were good, some were just weird, and some were sketchy, and eventually enough were sketchy enough (plus the book was due) that I returned it to the library. I was able to get about 3/4 of the way through it though.

Side note: Something I thought was weird was the editors's note that said that they chos
Chris
This collection is a mixed bag. In fact, I only liked one of the stories in the third section. It was "From Gustible's Planet".

Part of the poem is that Haining seems to be using the terms "fantasy" and "comic" very boardly. Wodehouse's story, "A Slice of Life" is funny, but it isn't really fantasy. "Danse Macabre" by Peake is a really good spooky story, but it's not funny (neither is the story "Roaches" for that matter).

There are some good stories though. "Turntables of the Night" by Terry Pratc
Iri
Sep 20, 2013 Iri rated it really liked it
Tuto knížku jsem si koupila za 1 euro na Slovensku, protože mě při přečtení obsahu praštila do očí jména Terryho Pratchetta, Michaela Moorcocka a Arthura C. Clarka. Začala jsem tedy číst. A musím konstatovat, že:

Některé příběhy byly skvělé a velice jsem se u nich bavila,
jiné mě moc nenadchly,
si už nepamatuji,
je to kniha plná prací skvělých autorů (no kdo by to byl čekal?).

Zvláště jedné povídce jsem nemohla odolat a díky příhodnému úkolu do školy jsem vytvořila pět ilustrací (povedly se asi jen
Katie
May 27, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Old sci-fi & fantasy is interesting to read in that it often has a completely different feel to it than more modern pieces. This is a collection of short stories, including one by Terry Pratchett (and the reason why I picked this up). I enjoyed it, but I've found that these types of books are best for discovering new authors, rather than amazing you with their stores. There are some gems, but some that aren't as exciting. So, read it if you'd like to explore old-school writers & potentia ...more
Paul Knighton
Aug 24, 2015 Paul Knighton rated it it was amazing
This is a rich and diverse collection of fantasy, science fiction and horror, all having humour in common. What makes it so bountiful is the range of writing styles, stories and three different genres (despite the book initially appearing to be fantasy only). Excellent diversity and a good pointer to many other authors.

I really enjoyed this compilation. Hope you do too :)
Andrew Matheson
Jul 11, 2015 Andrew Matheson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
What I like about this book was how it introduced me to authors and sun-genres of SF I had not encountered. I agree with other reviews that there were few laugh-out-loud moments, but each was humourous in its own way. A good read and worth the time if you want a summary of SF history.
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
I found the quality of these stories varied a bit, although there were some I quite enjoyed and some of the ideas were pretty interesting. I thought the final story was a good way to end the book.
Ryan McArthur
Apr 10, 2012 Ryan McArthur rated it liked it
Shelves: library
So far I haven't finished this, but the only thing that raised a chuckle was PG Wodehouse. Even Terry Pratchett's one wasn't as good. I'll read it to the end, but don't hold out much hope so far....
Tom Britz
These stories, some of which have nothing to do with Sorcerers or Flying, are not stories that stick with you. This is not one of the better anthologies out there.
Shanti Hofshi
A collection of short SF stories, but not really the best works I've seen by the included authors, or at least the ones I'm familiar with.
Robert Priddle
Nov 25, 2012 Robert Priddle rated it it was ok
Collection of short stories. I would have to give it another go.
Gavin
Dec 17, 2008 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A collection of fantasy short stories, good bad and indifferent.
David Melbie
Dec 26, 2010 David Melbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
Lots of cool, funny stories in this book. I loved it!
Lera
Nov 04, 2012 Lera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. Got from a bookswap, not a keeper.
Jenny Burridge
Jan 04, 2013 Jenny Burridge rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peter-haining
Excellent.
Stefan Linnemann
Stefan Linnemann rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Vijay Anand
Vijay Anand marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Richard Gombert
Richard Gombert rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Daniel Cushing
Daniel Cushing marked it as to-read
Cherie Bryant
Cherie Bryant marked it as to-read
Robin Shaw
Robin Shaw rated it it was amazing
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
sarah rose
sarah rose rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Craig Young
Craig Young rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • The Discworld Almanak: The Year of the Prawn
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Legends Volume 2
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming
More about Peter Haining...