Start by marking “The Process” as Want to Read:
The Process

The Process

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Process has the dazzling impact of a drug-inspired dream and, since its publication more than thirty years ago, has established itself as a classic of twentieth century modernism.

Ulys O. Hanson, an African-American professor of the History of Slavery, who is in North Africa on a mysterious foundation grant, sets off across the Sahara on a series of wild adventures. He
Published November 29th 2005 by The Overlook Press (first published March 5th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Process, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Process

The Stranger by Albert CamusThe Plague by Albert CamusNedjma by Yacine KatebThe Sea-Hawk by Rafael SabatiniThe Eight by Katherine Neville
Books Set in Algeria
44th out of 83 books — 20 voters
Living the Personal Myth by The Silver ElvesUnexpected Journeys by Janet A. KaplanPractical Occultism by Dion FortuneThe Archaic Revival by Terence McKennaEros and Magic in the Renaissance by Ioan Petru Culianu
MAGIC ART & REALITY
33rd out of 35 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Tyler
A round and unvarnished tale filled with mystery, magic, and tons of keef. I had expected so much from the book that i was not sure if it could live up to what i had imagined. It was everything i wanted and more. This is the type of book that i want to write. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
James
May 13, 2007 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of the most amazing books I've ever read. It is an experience to read and most probably, life changing.
J. Mark
One of my few 'multiple' reads. I once dreamed of walking off into an exotic future and Gysin did it the way I wanted to. I will never hear the sound of matches in their matchbox the same way again. The pure bliss/terror of existence in its full glory. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Graham
I was on a real desert-lit kick when I read this one. Similar to "The Sheltering Sky" with the idea of the Ugly American wandering around the Maghreb and falling down the interstices between cultures into a void of terror and alienation.
Derek
was hoping he might practice more of what he preached, or discovered, or rediscovered (a.k.a. the cut-up method), but nevertheless a good seamless linear read.... as Burroughs said about the book, it reads itself.
Cynthia
Jul 05, 2008 Cynthia marked it as to-read
I am in love with the idea that this novel may be an LSD soaked version of "The Alchemist"... can't wait to dive headlong into this one.
oh carlyn what key
this is so goddamn hypnotic it puts yer ass in a literary dreamachine alpha-wave astral projection state of fuck yeah.
Ralph Scriabin
Prose that laughs at itself, at the reader, and at the world.
Dan
Like Joseph Conrad on weed. Or like Hunter S. Thompson, but with more camels. Brion Gysin is not one of the better-known members of the Beat Generation, but in fact it was he who came up with the “cut-up” technique that William S. Burroughs employed in some of his work. In addition, Gysin’s ideas about alpha waves, and his invention of the “Dreammachine” have influenced people like Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Marianne Faithfull and Iggy Pop. This novel tells of the travels in Tangiers and throu ...more
Katie Lynn
What the...?!

Things I liked in the Foreword said about the author:
"You had to learn to see him whole before you could see him at all."
said by the author:
"Just look at all this lousy oatmealy skin. Not enough melanin. I've lived the best years of my life in Morocco and it can't take the sun. When I'm with Africans, I forget that I'm white. But they can't forget it. I stick out like a sore thumb."

"The Universe is spinning and what spins must appear symmetrical whether it is or not. That is the ess
John
Brion Gysin is most known for collaborating with William S. Burroughs on the "cut up" method of text collage alteration, and this is his major novel, the other one being a much shorter piece called, I believe, "The Beat Hotel". The book is a hallucinatory journey across north Africa and the Sahara, with illusions passing back into reality passing back into illusions, all sort of flowing with a weird Bacchic rhythm, where we see things such as a pagan survival of the rites of Pan melded into Sufi ...more
Tim Thelen
really surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reaction to this book. although i only made it to page 170 i found it rambling and lacking characterization. a couple of interesting elements - the master musicians of jajouka, for example, but otherwise i just didn't care much. sorry.
Oakley
This hash fueled journey takes you on a rambling trip across the deserts of Morocco. Gysin was an interesting guy. He and Burroughs were cohorts in transforming writing into magick. He also hung out with Brian Jones and took him to hear the ancient Master Musicians of Jojouka. Word has it that he had to leave Morocco after the musicians put a curse on him after some dispute.
Jerman
I'm an "unshockable" person. And I felt shocked by several of the chapters in this book. Namely one near the middle, written in an Arab voice. Very beat and very cool and very much a part of the Occult Canon.
Zain H
A fascinating tumble through the mystical wastes of the Sahara.
Nic Remillard
What the hell did I just read?
Ross
You have to read this
Anghenn
Anghenn marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Chaserrrr
Chaserrrr marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Monik DB
Monik DB marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Michael Sutton
Michael Sutton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Otis Clarke
Otis Clarke marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Tom Oristaglio
Tom Oristaglio marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Gray_dorian
Gray_dorian marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
  • The Third Mind
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • 20 Jazz Funk Greats
  • The Late Hector Kipling
  • The Lime Works
  • Vera & Linus
  • Sacred Vine of Spirits: Ayahuasca
John Clifford Brian Gysin, raised in Canada and England, was a peripheral figure in the Beat movement of the mid-20th century.

After serving is the U.S. Army during WWII, he received one of the first Fulbright Fellowships in 1949. A decade later he became closely associated with Beat writer William S. Burroughs. Their popularization of the Dadaist "cut-up technique" are the primary source of Gysin'
More about Brion Gysin...
Here to Go: Planet R-101 Back in No Time: The Brion Gysin Reader The Last Museum Brion Gysin Let the Mice In To Master, A Long Goodnight

“As no two people see the world the same way, all trips from here to there are imaginary; all truth is a tale I am telling myself.” 14 likes
“I could easily blast so much keef night and day I become a bouhali; a real-gone crazy, a holy untouchable madman unto whom everything is permitted, nothing is true.” 6 likes