Start by marking “The Process” as Want to Read:
The Process

The Process

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ulys O. Hanson, an African-American professor of the History of Slavery, who is in North Africa on a mysterious foundation grant, sets off across the Sahara on a series of wild adventures. He first meets Hamid, a mad Moroccan who turns him on, takes him over and teaches him to pass as a Moor. Mya, the richest woman in creation, and her seventh husband, the hereditary Bisho ...more
Published November 29th 2005 by The Overlook Press (first published March 5th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Process, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Process

Tyler
Jun 03, 2012 Tyler rated it it was amazing
A round and unvarnished tale filled with mystery, magic, and tons of keef. I had expected so much from the book that i was not sure if it could live up to what i had imagined. It was everything i wanted and more. This is the type of book that i want to write. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
James
May 13, 2007 James rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of the most amazing books I've ever read. It is an experience to read and most probably, life changing.
J. Mark
May 10, 2008 J. Mark rated it really liked it
One of my few 'multiple' reads. I once dreamed of walking off into an exotic future and Gysin did it the way I wanted to. I will never hear the sound of matches in their matchbox the same way again. The pure bliss/terror of existence in its full glory. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Graham
Dec 28, 2009 Graham rated it really liked it
I was on a real desert-lit kick when I read this one. Similar to "The Sheltering Sky" with the idea of the Ugly American wandering around the Maghreb and falling down the interstices between cultures into a void of terror and alienation.
Derek
Jan 27, 2011 Derek rated it really liked it
was hoping he might practice more of what he preached, or discovered, or rediscovered (a.k.a. the cut-up method), but nevertheless a good seamless linear read.... as Burroughs said about the book, it reads itself.
Cynthia
Jul 05, 2008 Cynthia marked it as to-read
I am in love with the idea that this novel may be an LSD soaked version of "The Alchemist"... can't wait to dive headlong into this one.
oh carlyn what key
Oct 03, 2010 oh carlyn what key rated it really liked it
this is so goddamn hypnotic it puts yer ass in a literary dreamachine alpha-wave astral projection state of fuck yeah.
Ralph Scriabin
Mar 16, 2015 Ralph Scriabin rated it it was amazing
Prose that laughs at itself, at the reader, and at the world.
Dan
Nov 03, 2009 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Like Joseph Conrad on weed. Or like Hunter S. Thompson, but with more camels. Brion Gysin is not one of the better-known members of the Beat Generation, but in fact it was he who came up with the “cut-up” technique that William S. Burroughs employed in some of his work. In addition, Gysin’s ideas about alpha waves, and his invention of the “Dreammachine” have influenced people like Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Marianne Faithfull and Iggy Pop. This novel tells of the travels in Tangiers and throu ...more
Katie Lynn
Mar 28, 2010 Katie Lynn rated it did not like it
What the...?!

Things I liked in the Foreword said about the author:
"You had to learn to see him whole before you could see him at all."
said by the author:
"Just look at all this lousy oatmealy skin. Not enough melanin. I've lived the best years of my life in Morocco and it can't take the sun. When I'm with Africans, I forget that I'm white. But they can't forget it. I stick out like a sore thumb."

"The Universe is spinning and what spins must appear symmetrical whether it is or not. That is the ess
Alex
Jun 23, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
Not many authors can point out the hope killing tragedy of human stupidity and conformity, as brutal, precise and funny (in the darkest, most tragic way) as Kafka could.
John
Mar 10, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
Brion Gysin is most known for collaborating with William S. Burroughs on the "cut up" method of text collage alteration, and this is his major novel, the other one being a much shorter piece called, I believe, "The Beat Hotel". The book is a hallucinatory journey across north Africa and the Sahara, with illusions passing back into reality passing back into illusions, all sort of flowing with a weird Bacchic rhythm, where we see things such as a pagan survival of the rites of Pan melded into Sufi ...more
Idwer
Apr 06, 2016 Idwer rated it really liked it
If you are doubting whether or not you want to read this book, you ought only to know that he was a friend of William Burroughs.
Bryce Klebe
Jul 17, 2015 Bryce Klebe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book started off pretty slow but once I had some free quiet time I sunk into it. The story is full of magic and if you have read anything about the life of Gysin you will know that he writes what he knows. The thing I loved was the references to Scientology (Grammatology) and the many quotes of Gysin that are simply placed in the story. I recommend this book for anyone interested in Brion Gysin or William Burroughs.
Tim Thelen
May 10, 2015 Tim Thelen rated it did not like it
really surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reaction to this book. although i only made it to page 170 i found it rambling and lacking characterization. a couple of interesting elements - the master musicians of jajouka, for example, but otherwise i just didn't care much. sorry.
Oakley
Oct 28, 2008 Oakley rated it really liked it
This hash fueled journey takes you on a rambling trip across the deserts of Morocco. Gysin was an interesting guy. He and Burroughs were cohorts in transforming writing into magick. He also hung out with Brian Jones and took him to hear the ancient Master Musicians of Jojouka. Word has it that he had to leave Morocco after the musicians put a curse on him after some dispute.
Dana Jerman
Mar 29, 2014 Dana Jerman rated it liked it
I'm an "unshockable" person. And I felt shocked by several of the chapters in this book. Namely one near the middle, written in an Arab voice. Very beat and very cool and very much a part of the Occult Canon.
Zain H
Apr 08, 2015 Zain H rated it really liked it
A fascinating tumble through the mystical wastes of the Sahara.
Ross
Aug 02, 2009 Ross rated it it was amazing
You have to read this
Aaron Romanello
Aaron Romanello marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Alba
Alba marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
cezara cebanu
cezara cebanu marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Sorobai
Sorobai marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Bethan
Bethan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Lucy Whitaker
Lucy Whitaker marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Mira Ursic
Mira Ursic marked it as to-read
  • The Third Mind
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • The Supermale
  • 20 Jazz Funk Greats
  • Standing In The Shadows Of Motown: The Life And Music Of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson
  • Playing in the Light
  • Event Factory
  • Vera & Linus
  • Thee Psychick Bible: Thee Apocryphal Scriptures ov Genesis Breyer P-Orridge and Thee Third Mind ov Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth
  • Arcana: Musicians on Music
  • A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life
  • Ill Seen Ill Said
John Clifford Brian Gysin, raised in Canada and England, was a peripheral figure in the Beat movement of the mid-20th century.

After serving is the U.S. Army during WWII, he received one of the first Fulbright Fellowships in 1949. A decade later he became closely associated with Beat writer William S. Burroughs. Their popularization of the Dadaist "cut-up technique" are the primary source of Gysin'
More about Brion Gysin...

“As no two people see the world the same way, all trips from here to there are imaginary; all truth is a tale I am telling myself.” 14 likes
“I could easily blast so much keef night and day I become a bouhali; a real-gone crazy, a holy untouchable madman unto whom everything is permitted, nothing is true.” 6 likes