The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2)

The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  53,472 ratings  ·  1,151 reviews
In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperTorch (first published 1986)

Night Watch by Terry PratchettGoing Postal by Terry PratchettSmall Gods by Terry PratchettGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettMort by Terry Pratchett
The Best of Discworld!
31st out of 48 books — 623 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Best Humorous Books
123rd out of 2,433 books — 4,682 voters

More lists with this book...

Gary
This book was every bit as fun as the last- maybe more so. Since this is number two in series order, I am getting a feel for where the author was at the point in time it was written. The character development seems more vivid. Rincewind, the Luggage, the Druid sacrifice girl, and the over the hill barbarian fighter are characters that will live with me long after this series is done.
This story has more of a quest feel to it than the last one did. It definitely builds to a strong climax. In order...more
Qt
I liked this one even more than the first book of the series! I thought it was hilarious, and I found the storyline easier to follow.
There were a couple times where I was a bit confused, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was funny and exciting, with a thrilling ending.
Jamie
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall...more
Tfitoby
Unseen University but not as you know it.

With my awful and dreaded exercise regime continuing so too does my revisit to the early works of the Discworld thanks to the readings of Nigel Planer.

Rincewind, last seen falling off of the disc has been saved from certain death once more thanks to spoilers that won't be mentioned and now must save the disc from a fiery death and evil wizards.

The problem with going back to these early novels is that things arenlt as you remember them. It's like an altern...more
Mike (the Paladin)
If you read The Color of Magic, you most probably got this book as the the one preceding it (the aforementioned The Color of Magic) ended with Rincewind falling off the edge of the Discworld.... talk about a "cliff-hanger ending". In this one we'll go from there to what could be the end of the Discworld itself and possibly, well everything else. It all depends on Rincewind....scary thought that.

"Synopsisizers" (I believe I just made that word up, so bear with me, please) anyway, "the people who...more
Jeff Straub
Terry Prarchett is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Not only are the stories rich, funny, and enjoyable, but the format of the storytelling itself adds a whole separate dimension to the books. Pratchett clearly has an incredible understanding of, and love affair with, the English language, and that makes me not want to put these books down.

From spending two pages arguing with the reader about why the female barbarian does not wear impractical sexy barbarian clothes, to subtle word ga...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. I really liked this second installment of the Discworld series though I didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Color of Magic. Still it is very good with some laugh outloud moments.
Ben Babcock
It’s been a long time since I read The Colour Magic. I’ve read a few other Discworld novels but am now kind of trying to read them in order. Terry Pratchett is a writer whose sense of humour aligns exactly with the type of humourous fiction I want to read: dry and absurd. From Discworld to Good Omens , Pratchett always delivers, and The Light Fantastic is no exception.

I read the first half of this book with a sense of dragging anticipation. I was waiting for the book to begin. It took me a while...more
Jasmine
Open confession for the first half of this book I was asking myself why I was reading, to which I could only respond I liked the other one. A lot of this book feels extremely shallow. Not I'm so pretty and my hair smells terrific shallow of course. I believe that a book should somehow challenge and expand you. I didn't clearly get that from the first chunk of this book. That is what I mean by shallow.

The last half of the book once things start happening is very entertaining. I have to say that...more
Stacey
I'm a latecomer to the Discworld, having just discovered it a couple of years ago. Whenever I need a good laugh-out-loud escapist novel, I know Sir Terry can deliver. I started with the Tiffany Aching series*, and have managed to read 7-8 of the little Discworld suckers** so far, and enjoyed every one of them immensely, including this one.***

*Actually, and just so I don't bring the wrath of the ghost of Olaf Quimby II down on me, I discovered Pratchett via Good Omens many years ago, but at the t...more
Jackie
I was told by several readers that this series improves as it hits its stride and I can definitely see that is true. One of my complaints about The Color of Magic was that I found the many digressions and footnotes distracting. While, The Light Fantastic has some digressions and footnotes there were certainly less of them. Also, because most of the worldbuilding occurred in the first book there was much less info-dumping. This made the book much more reader friendly.

What I loved about The Light...more
Kaitlin
I think that this story gets better and better. This is book 2 in the series and once again follows Rincewind and Twoflower who are both wacky and amusing characters. This book continues where The Colour of Magic leaves off (a cliffhanger) and is highly entertaining from the outset.

The world is a wild one with all manner of creatures, craziness and romping storyline which takes us throughout a large amount of the Disc. This story certainly improves upon book 1 and I am very much looking forward...more
Tabatha
Oh I just love Terry Pratchett! His description of Herrena the Henna-Haired Harridan. Teaching Death and the Four Horsemen to play Bridge. The Luggage!! Who could forget, I Love the Luggage! I haven't read a lot of Discworld books yet, but here's to hoping the Luggage is in every one of them.
Graham
Pratchett’s second Discworld book, the follow-up to The Colour of Magic, is easily as good as its predecessor and the two can very much be seen as a continuation of the same story. Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage are rescued after falling off the edge of the world, and now embark on a new adventure to halt a colossal star which is approaching rapidly.

The book follows very closely the spirit of Pratchett’s first adventure, whilst expanding the Discworld mythos and introducing many more race...more
Melissa
After having read the first book (and not really enjoying it) I decided to keep plodding through as there had to be a reason so many people like Pratchett. While I was still less than impressed with this book, I did enjoy it more than I did the first. As much as I hate to suggest it, if you haven't read the Colour of Magic before this book, you should to get the background on the characters.

When we last left them Rincewind (the failed wizard) and Twoflower (tourist to the area) had been escaping...more
Kelanth, numquam risit ubi dracones vivunt
Secondo libro della saga del "Mondo Disco", bello, forse ancor più del primo, commovente alla fine e divertente per tutte le pagine.

Sono dei rari gioiellini questi libri di Pratchett che ho deciso di gustarmi piano negli intermezzi tra altri volumi, al posto di leggermeli tutti in fila come avevo pensato prima dell'acquisto di tutta la saga; sì perchè questi sono "vini di pregio" da assaporare piano e diluiti nel tempo, di intermezzo per "rifarsi la bocca" tra una portata e l'altra, perle rare...more
Bonnie Gayle
This is the second Discworld book, and I found it just as funny as the first, with perhaps a more straightforward plot, which I appreciated. It's very much a continuation of the first book, so I would recommend reading that one before this.

Rincewind is back again, and the spell trapped in his head is the only thing that can keep the world from coming to a flaming explosive end at the hands of a giant red hot comet that is getting closer and closer to the Discworld.

The wizards who know about th...more
Mark
Second in the Discworld series, which I think is at 36 books now. So get reading! We continue the saga of Rincewind and Twoflower, the hapless duo who must once again save the world. Pratchett subtly satirizes everything in our “real” world but very unsubtly sends up all things “swords-and-sorcery,” the fantasy, myth, sci-fi universe. To give a sample of TP doing his thing, here’s a passage describing a character perhaps familiar to fans of such genres or Frank Frazetta illustrations:

“Now, ther...more
Manny
Several of the other reviewers have singled out for special praise the Xena parody with the more appropriately dressed warrior princess. She was indeed very fine, but my personal favorite was the bit where the Stonehenge-type astronomical ritual unexpectedly develops a glitch. "Looks like software incompatibility!" says the know-it-all Neolithic geek. "The Spiral Chant doesn't work on concentric circles!"

And, while we're on rocks, I also loved the trolls, harking back to their glory days in earl...more
Jason
The second in the discworld series is a fun read. It is about the inept wizard Rincewind whom I love.
Maris
I read The Light Fantastic and The Color of Magic years ago. I didn't like them then, no idea of why I didn't, I think I had no liking for Rincewind (but I remember LOVING The Luggage). However, a friend got me a copy of Raising Steam, which I read and loved, so I then read some more Discworld, including rereading some books that I own - Feet of Clay, Equal Rites ... So then I purchased Going Postal (because of Moist in Raising Steam) and somehow the magic of Discworld caught hold of me again an...more
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
On the rare occasion when I watch a movie based on a book, I am not typically likely to hold the movie up to the book for comparison. They are separate works, and I judge them separately.

Such is not always the case.

With The Color of Magic, the movie version of The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic, which I found one day on a library shelf shortly after finishing The Light Fantastic, I was unable to distinguish the two in my mind. The two novels are squished into one movie, starring, among...more
Andrew Breslin
I just returned this to the library and had to pay a fine of $3.25, for which I am holding Terry Pratchett personally responsible.

I've read a half dozen or so of his books, and voraciously devoured all of them, until this one, which I did not finish. I had, in fact, forgotten about it completely until the library called to chastise me. None of his previous books ever earned me librarian ire, because I was typically so enthralled that I'd read the book and return it within a few days. I'd stay u...more
Ksenia Anske
Somebody somewhere said that Terry Pratchett should be locked up in a padded cell and forced to write a book a month. I concur. I have heard people saying that Pratchett's first Discworld novels are not the best place to start reading him, that Guards! Guards! is a better place. I don't know about that. The Light Fantastic is my 2nd Pratchett novel and I laughed to tears on almost every page, to the point where I had to put the book down and breathe, so as not to collapse completely. I thought D...more
Chris Gottlieb
Don't offend any Druids: This is the second Discworld novel, following the story of Rincewind the inept "Wizzard" and Twoflower, the Disc's first (and last) tourist. All of the previous characters return in what is a genuinely funny sequel.

I do not read these books in order, I admit that, and the style of writing has changed somewhat with the newer books like "Going Postal" and "Thud!" but the earlier books are without doubt, extremely funny.

I won't ruin it for you but basically, Great A'Tuin...more
Josh
After reading both The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, I've decided to review both of them and do a bit of a comparison of the two. The two books are essentially one story but written far enough apart to show a definite difference in Mr. Pratchett's writing style. This makes for a unique experience when reading them back to back.

Pratchett's writing style was instantly addicting for me. I don't think I've found myself laughing out loud on so many occasions while reading a book since rea...more
Ruth
The Light Fantastic follows immediately after The Colour of Magic, making it a rare bird in the Discworld series. But then, Pratchett was just starting out. I wonder how much of what we know today as Discworld was already in his head.

The humour (spelling in honour of Pratchett's Britishness) that floods later books is developing well in this second book, though still not on par with later books. The biggest item later to become a staple is the footnote, one of my favourite elements.

But not much...more
Dawn
It's been quite a while since I read The Color of Magic, so I don't remember it all that well.. But from what I do remember, this was quite an improvement. I can definitely see myself getting hooked into the Discworld series now, where as before I was sort of indifferent to it. I'm glad I read this one instead of skipping to a different story line in the series, as was recommended to me several times. I'm determined to read these in publication order, and I'm sticking to that! This was a humorou...more
Rachel
This was an excellent continuation of Discworld, though I actually liked it a little less than The Color of Magic. I believe that is an unusual experience for folks, and I don't know quite how to explain it. :)

Everything here was a lot of fun, there was a solid plot, and I *adored* some of the characters!! TREMENDOUSLY. The best part, of course? THE MARVELOUS PUNS. Oh, the puns. Pratchett puns are officially the best puns, hands down.

Really looking forward to Equal Rites! =D
Sesana
This is early Discworld, and it shows, but only in retrospect. Yes, the Discworld books do get better over time, but they started out really good. The Light Fantastic is really part two of The Color of Magic, and hence more Rincewind. The Rincewind cycle is possibly my least favorite... And yet I still love them. This is how good PTerry is, that even the lesser of his books are still better than most of what I read.
Goodreads Librari...: Page Numbering Inquiry 3 69 Jun 04, 2014 08:00PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • Wieża jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin, #1)
  • Mogworld
  • In the Company of Ogres
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“Inside every sane person there's a madman struggling to get out," said the shopkeeper. "That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person.” 370 likes
“Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.” 184 likes