Start by marking “The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)” as Want to Read:
The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)

The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  68,310 ratings  ·  1,642 reviews
In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperTorch (first published 1986)

Night Watch by Terry PratchettGoing Postal by Terry PratchettGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettSmall Gods by Terry PratchettMort by Terry Pratchett
The Best of Discworld!
30th out of 47 books — 739 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
124th out of 3,017 books — 5,918 voters

More lists with this book...

Evelyn (devours and digests words)
"Inside every sane person, there's a madman struggling to get out. That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person."

The second installment in the Discworld series is a bigger, funnier delight. One heck of a Laugh Out Loud read.

Something I consider very special in Sir Terry Pratchett's works is that many authors can pull off a joke every once in a while in their stories but Mr Pratchett managed to keep the whole thing comical, while at the time satirical. Not
Decidí darle una segunda oportunidad al Mundodisco, porque los fans de Pratchett me han comentado que la saga lo merece, no porque tenga algún problema obsesivo compulsivo con dejar cosas sin terminar...

y ¡Wau! las diferencias entre El color de la magia y La luz fantástica son abismales, casi todos los problemas que tuve con el primer libro se resuelven acá, este si me pareció gracioso, si es concluyente y... resuelve una incógnita del primer libro que me molestaba bastante Rincewind, a pesar de
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
This book was every bit as fun as the last- maybe more so. Since this is number two in series order, I am getting a feel for where the author was at the point in time it was written. The character development seems more vivid. Rincewind, the Luggage, the Druid sacrifice girl, and the over the hill barbarian fighter are characters that will live with me long after this series is done.
This story has more of a quest feel to it than the last one did. It definitely builds to a strong climax. In order
Executive Summary: I enjoyed this one a lot more than The Color of Magic, and it made me glad I read that book first rather than starting with one of the later in the series.

Full Review
A moment of silence for the passing of a great man.

It's a shame it took the passing of Terry Pratchett for me to give this series a second chance. I've had numerous people tell me how much I'd like it. It was recommended again to me when I said I was in a funk and wanted something light and fun just a few days b
I liked this one even more than the first book of the series! I thought it was hilarious, and I found the storyline easier to follow.
There were a couple times where I was a bit confused, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was funny and exciting, with a thrilling ending.
Sería un 3,75 o cerca del 4, no lo tengo del todo claro.
Esta es la continuación de El color de la magia, el primer volumen de la saga Mundodisco, siendo la única novela de la saga que continua directamente con los sucesos del libro anterior.
En este libro, tras salvarse de caer por el borde del mundo; Dosflores, Rincewind y el querido equipaje vuelven a meterse en muchos más líos. Una estrella roja amenaza la vida de la gran tortuga ATuin, y la Universidad Invisible (la de los magos) está tratand
Reading Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series makes me smile.

Three years after Terry Pratchett published The Color of Magic, the first Discworld book, he published the second, The Light Fantastic, having decided convincingly that this was a worthwhile project.

Though the action in The Light Fantastic takes over immediately following the events in the first book, Rincewind has fallen off of the edge of the world, this novel seems to gather momentum from a good but somewhat shaky start and proceed
Mike (the Paladin)
If you read The Color of Magic, you most probably got this book as the the one preceding it (the aforementioned The Color of Magic) ended with Rincewind falling off the edge of the Discworld.... talk about a "cliff-hanger ending". In this one we'll go from there to what could be the end of the Discworld itself and possibly, well everything else. It all depends on Rincewind....scary thought that.

"Synopsisizers" (I believe I just made that word up, so bear with me, please) anyway, "the people who

I enjoyed this more than the first book (eve though I do like that one), the pacing was better and the characters more "there" and comfortable in their own skins.

It seems/feels to me Mr. Pratchett hit his stride and had more fun writing this one (I could be wrong)... We get to see more of Rincewind's personality in here and he comes into his own some more.

Twoflower, gotta love him :)

Cohen and Bethan were fun to know, wish they would have had a bigger part though. Cohen was pretty spry for his
I didn't really care for The Colour of Magic. So I wasn't sure what to expect from The Light Fantastic, but I figured either it would be more of the same, or slightly better. And thankfully, it was slightly better. There was a plot! (Of sorts.) And a single storyline! (Mostly.) And humor! (I lol'ed once.)

All are things that Colour didn't have - at least not in my opinion. But I can't say that I loved Light. I'm thinking that it might just be me, though. I like humor, and I even like bizarre rand
Unseen University but not as you know it.

With my awful and dreaded exercise regime continuing so too does my revisit to the early works of the Discworld thanks to the readings of Nigel Planer.

Rincewind, last seen falling off of the disc has been saved from certain death once more thanks to spoilers that won't be mentioned and now must save the disc from a fiery death and evil wizards.

The problem with going back to these early novels is that things arenlt as you remember them. It's like an altern
The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterwards where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

The Discworld is a Disc sitting on the backs of four elephants, standing on the shell of a giant turtle that is slowly swimming it's way through Space...

And as befits a world so ridiculous, it is filled with an array of equally ridiculous and loveable characters, includi
Barry Pierce
This is reminded me of just how great Terry Pratchett is. His writing and humour is just fabulous and his characters are brilliant. However the plot of this novel is quite reminiscent of a wet tea towel. It doesn't hold a flame to The Colour of Magic and I'm quite glad that Pratchett gave up on the idea of doing sequels after this novel. It's overall very meh with a sprinkling of ugh.
Jeff Straub
Terry Prarchett is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Not only are the stories rich, funny, and enjoyable, but the format of the storytelling itself adds a whole separate dimension to the books. Pratchett clearly has an incredible understanding of, and love affair with, the English language, and that makes me not want to put these books down.

From spending two pages arguing with the reader about why the female barbarian does not wear impractical sexy barbarian clothes, to subtle word ga
Ben Babcock
It’s been a long time since I read The Colour Magic. I’ve read a few other Discworld novels but am now kind of trying to read them in order. Terry Pratchett is a writer whose sense of humour aligns exactly with the type of humourous fiction I want to read: dry and absurd. From Discworld to Good Omens , Pratchett always delivers, and The Light Fantastic is no exception.

I read the first half of this book with a sense of dragging anticipation. I was waiting for the book to begin. It took me a whil
Alex Ristea
It's a bit sad that I own the first 21 Discworld books and waited until Sir Terry Pratchett's passing to give them the attention they deserve.

This is a wonderful book told in a distinctly British manner. It's not really a story with plot or characters, but likeable all the same.

There are laughs and puns on every page, and it's a fun romp that shows the promise of this author and this series.

Highly recommended that you start reading Discworld. I'm a nut for always going in published order, but I
More reviews at The BiblioSanctum.

Darkness isn’t the opposite of light, it is simply its absence, and what was radiating from the book was the light that lies on the far side of darkness, the light fantastic.

The Light Fantastic follows Rincewind and Twoflower after a strange, even stranger than normal, turn of events in The Color of Magic. Rincewind has gone from just being a bumbling tour guide for Twoflower to being the man that might actually have to save the world with Twoflower and Luggage
I read this as part of my ongoing challenge to read all of The Discworld Series in order.

Following directly on from The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic continues the story of Rincewind and Twoflower. I enjoyed the story in this book more than The Colour of Magic although it still lacks some of the clever humour that is so important in the later books.

I eagerly await the next read.
4.0 stars. I really liked this second installment of the Discworld series though I didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Color of Magic. Still it is very good with some laugh outloud moments.
Open confession for the first half of this book I was asking myself why I was reading, to which I could only respond I liked the other one. A lot of this book feels extremely shallow. Not I'm so pretty and my hair smells terrific shallow of course. I believe that a book should somehow challenge and expand you. I didn't clearly get that from the first chunk of this book. That is what I mean by shallow.

The last half of the book once things start happening is very entertaining. I have to say that
I'm a latecomer to the Discworld, having just discovered it a couple of years ago. Whenever I need a good laugh-out-loud escapist novel, I know Sir Terry can deliver. I started with the Tiffany Aching series*, and have managed to read 7-8 of the little Discworld suckers** so far, and enjoyed every one of them immensely, including this one.***

*Actually, and just so I don't bring the wrath of the ghost of Olaf Quimby II down on me, I discovered Pratchett via Good Omens many years ago, but at the t
Bonnie Gayle
This is the second Discworld book, and I found it just as funny as the first, with perhaps a more straightforward plot, which I appreciated. It's very much a continuation of the first book, so I would recommend reading that one before this.

Rincewind is back again, and the spell trapped in his head is the only thing that can keep the world from coming to a flaming explosive end at the hands of a giant red hot comet that is getting closer and closer to the Discworld.

The wizards who know about th
Second in the Discworld series, which I think is at 36 books now. So get reading! We continue the saga of Rincewind and Twoflower, the hapless duo who must once again save the world. Pratchett subtly satirizes everything in our “real” world but very unsubtly sends up all things “swords-and-sorcery,” the fantasy, myth, sci-fi universe. To give a sample of TP doing his thing, here’s a passage describing a character perhaps familiar to fans of such genres or Frank Frazetta illustrations:

“Now, ther
I was told by several readers that this series improves as it hits its stride and I can definitely see that is true. One of my complaints about The Color of Magic was that I found the many digressions and footnotes distracting. While, The Light Fantastic has some digressions and footnotes there were certainly less of them. Also, because most of the worldbuilding occurred in the first book there was much less info-dumping. This made the book much more reader friendly.

What I loved about The Light
Uspijela sam pročitati 40% u samo dva i pol sata!
Inače, dvoumila sam se između tri zvjezdice i četiri, ali priča je bila zabavna, pa sam joj dala veću ocjenu. Harrena je bila super lik, Bethan je bila isto super, Dvocvijet i Rincewind su zamjenili osobnost, ali zato je nilo zabavno, sviđa mi se ideja onog lutajuće trgovine, a posljednja bitka je bila predvidljiva, ali i čudesna.
Umarım yayınevi serinin diğer kitaplarını da çıkarabilir.
Another greatly entertaining book my Terry Pratchett. Surprisingly he maintains the level of fresh humour which I found exhilarating in the first book.

The book focuses on Rincewind and the great spell in his mind. The story is as confusing as ever, but has one of the funniest situations and dialogues I've read. A great entertainer for both the lovers of fantasy as well as comedy.

Cohen the Barbarian is a hilarious addition to the novel, making it even more entertaining if that is even humanly p
Pratchett’s second Discworld book, the follow-up to The Colour of Magic, is easily as good as its predecessor and the two can very much be seen as a continuation of the same story. Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage are rescued after falling off the edge of the world, and now embark on a new adventure to halt a colossal star which is approaching rapidly.

The book follows very closely the spirit of Pratchett’s first adventure, whilst expanding the Discworld mythos and introducing many more race
After having read the first book (and not really enjoying it) I decided to keep plodding through as there had to be a reason so many people like Pratchett. While I was still less than impressed with this book, I did enjoy it more than I did the first. As much as I hate to suggest it, if you haven't read the Colour of Magic before this book, you should to get the background on the characters.

When we last left them Rincewind (the failed wizard) and Twoflower (tourist to the area) had been escaping
2015 Reading Chal...: The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett 1 15 Mar 13, 2015 11:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Numbering Inquiry 3 77 Jun 04, 2014 08:00PM
  • Raiders of the Lost Carpark
  • Only Human
  • The Night Club: Part One
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of2)
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Sign of the Unicorn
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“Inside every sane person there's a madman struggling to get out," said the shopkeeper. "That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person.” 475 likes
“Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.” 261 likes