Start by marking “Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)

Wintersmith (Discworld #35)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  32,206 Ratings  ·  1,053 Reviews

Tiffany Aching is a trainee witch — now working for the seriously scary Miss Treason. But when Tiffany witnesses the Dark Dance — the crossover from summer to winter — she does what no one has ever done before and leaps into the dance. Into the oldest story there ever is. And draws the attention of the Wintersmith himself.

As Tiffany-shaped snowflakes hammer down on the lan

Published October 1st 2006 by HarperTempest (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Wintersmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wintersmith

Nicholas Karpuk
Sep 14, 2009 Nicholas Karpuk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adults, Pratchett fans, fantasy readers, you
I physically twitch in the presence of cheap irony. You know the sort of lazy humor, like saying it's weird that a cop hates donuts, or acting surprised that a jock is smart. The sort of glib, lazy attempts at humor and cleverness that usually make it on to bumper stickers just makes me cringe. It's the same school of humor as people who put, "My other car is a broomstick" on their bumpers.

When Terry Pratchett started the witch series in the Discworld universe I considered that as close as the w
Res
May 25, 2007 Res rated it liked it
The third book involving Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles -- the one where Tiffany dances with the Wintersmith and gets herself into the middle of the ancient romance of summer and winter.

I love the witches, and I love the Feegles, and I love Tiffany, and it's always a pleasure to spend time with them. And yay for Roland growing up. And I loved the subplot involving Miss Treason and the slight improvement in Annagramma.

Having said that, I had serious problems with this book.

The most criti
Kalin
Dec 23, 2015 Kalin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 March 2015:

To one of my dads in spirit:

We remember you.

And then one day a traveling teacher (...) talked about how some wizards had once, using very skillful magic, worked out exactly what a human being was made of. It was mostly water, but there were iron and brimstone and soot and a pinch of just about everything else, even a tiny amount of gold, but all cooked up together somehow.

It made as much sense to Tiffany as anything else did. But she was certain of this: If you took all that stuff
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

I remember r
Faye
First read: 2006
Re-read: August 2015
The plot: Tiffany Aching is now thirteen years old and has moved on from her apprenticeship with Miss Level to live with a new witch; the 113 year-old Miss Treason. During the dark Morris dance that signals the start of winter Tiffany joins the dance without thinking and ends up attracting the attention of the Wintersmith who wants to make her his queen.

The Wintersmith is much more of a 'classic' Discworld novel than The Wee Free Men or A Hat full of Sky. It d
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 27/09/2007
Author: Terry Pratchett
Recommended for: fans of fantasy novels

This is another amazing book in the Discworld series (number 35), in this book we meet the character Tiffany Aching. She is a really wonderful, likeable and funny character who adds a great amount of fun to the novel. In this book we go on the adventure with her when the spirit of winter (the wintersmith) falls in love with her! If she doesnt figure out a way to deal with him there will never be spring again, howe
Наталия Янева
Oct 23, 2014 Наталия Янева rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Чудно как на човек му е най-трудно да опише нещата, които са го впечатлили най-много. Като че думите не са точни и не достатъчно силни да предадат усещането. Ако ви попитат защо обичате някого, отговорът ще задоволи ли вас самите? Не звучи ли слабо, твърде традиционно? В никакъв случай не описва защо всъщност обичате, няма думи за това.

Понякога се питам как така някой писател сякаш надниква в душата ти, изсмуква всичкото ти внимание и то остава негово. В случая със сигурност не е темата - тя не
Callista
Feb 12, 2012 Callista rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Another case of feeling whatever I could write in praise of this would be insufficient, so I'll just be brief in my Pratchett-worship.
This is yet another fantastic Tiffany adventure, deceptively simple in some ways, very complicated and profound in others. The Wintersmith is both frightening and something to feel a bit sorry for. What it really takes to be a witch is the same thing it takes to be a responsible human being of any type--it's just the various embellishments that change people's pe
Linda
Jan 19, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Wintersmith is the third tale in the story of Tiffany Aching who found, at the age of 9, that she had inherited her grandmother’s legacy as a witch. Tiffany is now almost 13 and it is time for her to learn how to use her special abilities in the world as she finds herself in the house of Miss Treason who will guide her in her lessons. Oh, waily, waily, waily! Tiffany has attracted the attention of the spirit of winter himself and soon finds her likeness being etched in everything from the frost ...more
Shovelmonkey1
I read this a long time ago, but not as long ago as I read all the preceding Pratchetts. Yes. I love all things Pratchett (mostly) and have accumulated an extensive Pratchett archive since about the age of thirteen. Sadly most of these books have been tucked away in my parents attic for the last twelve years but the wonder of encountering the Discworld has never been forgotten.

I've read all of the Tiffany Aching series, including the Wee Free Men. Thinking back now, I can't really remember a lo
Moira Russell
I'm trying to write reviews again, instead of just ratings and status updates -- my problem is I always want to write The Exhaustive Review, and so wind up writing none. UH WHOOPS. I figure I'll start small with this book.

I had real difficulty getting into the story -- I didn't like the tone of the combined narrative voice/Tiffany's thoughts very much (it felt sort of simultaneously dumbed-down and punched-up for the YA market, and I missed the usual sarcastic undercutting tone of the footnotes)
Nigel
Nov 30, 2015 Nigel rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Having read the final Tiffany Aching story I realised that among the Discworld books I'd missed were the earlier Tiffany Aching stories so I decided to start putting that right. Needless to say I'm reading them in the wrong order however this is Discworld...

I guess my favourites stories in the early Discworld books tended to be the Witches books (Death ones aside) so finding that these "childrens" stories contain Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax make them worth reading for that alone. Pratchett's
Lauren
I enjoyed Wintersmith, the third book in the Tiffany Aching series immensely. It took me over a week to read it as I kept it at work as a balm for my heart. It does get annoying dealing with know-it-alls for twelve hours five days a week. Terry Pratchett did more than provide me with entertainment and distraction in Wintersmith.
Tiffany’s peer Annagramma is exactly like the insufferable woman I work with. Annagramma was introduced in A Hat Full of Sky, the second in the series. She is the prize
DeAnna Knippling
Sep 15, 2015 DeAnna Knippling rated it it was amazing
A reread.

Once again, Tiffany gets herself in trouble by doing more than she should, and other people suffer for it.

I wish I could give this book to every girl starting to date.
Mary Catelli
May 15, 2015 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it
The last of the trilogy by Terry Pratchett. (Pay no attention to rumors of more books.) And spoilers ahead for the first two.

The opening of this one is weak. Flashing back from a future scene is sometimes a good technique, but telling us it might not happen, without making it a dream or something, is weak.

Tiffany has switched witches, and is learning with Miss Treason, who's very old and Borrows the eyes and ears of creatures about her, and is famous for her ability to adjudicate cases. Tiffany
Michael Jones
The Wintersmith is basically a god (small g) who is in charge of some bad winter storms and things to do with snow. And he sort of mistakes Tiffany for a god. And.... starts making snowflakes in the image of Tiffany.

Very funny and packed with wit.

The deeper, very profitable part of these stories is that Tiffany has to deal with real people and their quirky personalities like we all do.

The old good grandmother witch dies. Much wisdom is passed on. Another witch which (sic) has no idea of how to
MisterFweem
Nov 23, 2010 MisterFweem rated it it was amazing
Any book featuring the Nac Mac Feegle is a win in my world.

But this, perhaps, is the bit I enjoy most from the book, and that's some of the hooptedoodle that Pratchett includes that's really not pertinent to the story, but oh-so-pertinent to developing his characters, which is a trait I admire in him:

Marjory J. Boddice had got some things laughably wrong. Girls on the Chalk didn't often run away from a young man who was rich enough to own his own horse -- or not for long and not without giving h
Arminzerella
Marija
Dec 03, 2010 Marija rated it it was amazing
Imagine being able to witness a dance marking the change of the seasons—from summer to winter—all at once becoming mesmerized by the enchanting melody and rhythms of the dance… feeling its call, beckoning you to join the elemental spirits in their festivities. The pull is uncontrollable; but the result is utter chaos. Poor Tiffany finds herself in the midst of this chaotic entanglement, and has caught the unwanted attentions of the Wintersmith, who’s completely enthralled by this human girl who’ ...more
Jen
Nov 07, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
Given the high standard I've come to expect from Pratchett, it's no insult to say that this book doesn't quiiiiiiiite measure up to what the first chapter had promised. It starts off so exciting, so intriguing... that by the end I at least was left wondering why this otherwise consummate writer hadn't managed to hold up the energy for the big finale.

Still, I'm practically itching for him to release another book in the series. Can't wait to see more of Tiffany, of our new view on Nanny Ogg and G
Carol
Oct 05, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book of Tiffany Aching, now a 13 year old still learning the witching. This time Tiffany faces the Wintersmith, and as she has grown there are new problems to face, and new things to learn.
This was really fun, the witches were amazingly funny this time, Boffo was definitely unexpected, and there was so many satires here and there that it was hard to follow them all.
The best bit: the cheese. OMG! The Cheese. XD Awesome!
Macie
Mar 29, 2009 Macie rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for both young people and adults. I love the Tiffany Aching novels because they depict a sensible, moral, and strong girl learning to grow up to be even stronger and responsible for her actions. Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg have substantial roles, and Tiffany's interactions with Granny Weatherwax are some of the high points of the book. This series has Pratchett's usual dose of humor, and I wish we had more books of this sort to share with some of the young people in our lives. ...more
Kua
Feb 15, 2015 Kua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, b-top
Scritto con la solita ironia che contraddistingue i racconti di Pratchett, devo però ammettere che mi è sembrato meno ispirato dei precedenti. La trama è comunque divertente: l'Inverno si innamora per la prima volta di un'umana, che per di più è anche una strega e cerca in tutti i modi di conquistarla. La vita per Tiffany, la strega in questione, diventa veramente difficile, soprattutto quando i fiocchi di neve che cadono dal cielo hanno tutti la forma del suo viso e la brina ghiacciata traccia ...more
Аделина 'Змей' Генова
Малко подло е от страна на Пратчет да започне книгата с края на историята, но пък се отплаща подобаващо със силна предистория.
Искрено се насладих на умението му да завърта героите си като в танц, на това как е хванал един мит и го е предъвкал през мирогледа на Света на Диска така, че ум да ти зайде, докато свят ти се вие.
Честно казано ми е любопитно каква част от хората, четящи Пратчет въобще познават игричките му с гръцката митология, народния фолклор и по-стари приказки.
Още>> http://knig
Kathy Davie
Mar 07, 2015 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, funny
While I went a bit nuts with the quotes, I was actually quite restrained. There is so much that is funny in this third installment in the Tiffany Aching fantasy series about an apprentice witch (it's thirty-fifth in the overall Discworld fantasy series).

In 2007, Wintersmith won a Locus Award for Best Young Adult Novel and was nominated for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Tiffany Aching books at KD Did It Takes
John
Mar 14, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Re-read. Tiffany impetuously joins a Dark Morris dance and finds herself pursued by the (not a, the) Winter elemental. Granny Weatherwax comes off as a little too nice in this but there are still many, many great moments. And Horace the cheese.

Vintage lines:

"Like, when we come back from drinkin', stealin', an' fightin', Jeannie gives ye the Pursin' o' the Lips," Daft Wullie went on. A moan went up from all the Feegles: "Ooooh, save us from the Pursin' o' the Lips!" "An' there's the foldin' o' th
Angie
Oct 01, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Tiffany is off to yet another witch as an apprentice. She is leaving Miss Level, a witch with one mind and two bodies, and heading off to Miss Treason, a blind, 113-year-old-witch who uses whoever she can find for her eyes. Most apprentices don't last very long with Miss Treason, but Tiffany is made of stronger stuff. Miss Treason is the embodiment of what it means to be a witch and she has the spiderwebs and skulls to prove it. Her people love her and fear her in equal measure. One night she ta ...more
Петър Стойков
Цялото ревю:

За бога, ако имате дъщеря в тийнейджърска възраст, която знае английски, подарете й ги тия книги. С малко късмет, може да се осъзнае достатъчно, за да не се превърне в намазана с фондьотен и изрусена „принцеса“ чиято цел в живота е да си намери спонсор...
Talyseon Talyseon
Mar 26, 2014 Talyseon Talyseon rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best and deepest of the Discworld novels, and it's written for Young Adults! Check out my full review: Wintersmith
Dec 01, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Tiffany Aching novel - it has a bit of everything - love; death; adventure; Nanny Ogg, humor....

And its just a wonderful story.
2015 Reading Chal...: Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett 8 42 Apr 12, 2015 05:44PM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part III 1 17 Sep 30, 2013 08:33AM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part II 1 17 Sep 23, 2013 07:07AM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part I 1 21 Sep 16, 2013 07:28AM
Discworld: Tiffany Aching Read Along - Books 3 & 4 4 32 Sep 11, 2013 05:32AM
  • The Pinhoe Egg  (Chrestomanci, #6)
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • The Song of the Quarkbeast (The Chronicles of Kazam, #2)
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • Runemarks (Runemarks, #1)
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

“The trouble is you can shut your eyes but you can’t shut your mind.” 308 likes
“This I choose to do. If there is a price, this I choose to pay. If it is my death, then I choose to die. Where this takes me, there I choose to go. I choose. This I choose to do.” 282 likes