Start by marking “Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  459 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The authors present an up-to-date exposition of the design of the current and next generation interactive technologies, such as the Web, mobiles and wearables.
Published March 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Interaction Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interaction Design

Health Guide by Mahatma GandhiThe Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma GandhiThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1 by Donald Ervin KnuthThe Art of Computer Programming, Volume 2 by Donald Ervin Knuth
My List Books
22nd out of 90 books — 5 voters
Radical Embodied Cognitive Science by Anthony ChemeroPredictably Irrational by Dan ArielyDescartes' Error by Antonio R. DamasioThinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel KahnemanThe Political Mind by George Lakoff
Reddit Cognitive Science
54th out of 89 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Megan
Apr 27, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I assigned this book for my Human Computer Interaction course this semester. I like that it has a lot of relevant examples, and it focuses on important aspects of the field instead of trying to cover everything. It is a good overview, with enough meat to support a semester introductory HCI course. I wish their activities didn't have the answers on the same page though, as it makes it difficult to ask students to think through them as they read; it doesn't encourage independent thought. I also ha ...more
Justin
Feb 22, 2008 Justin rated it liked it
It never fails to amaze me how so much of school is about formalizing terms for common sense. This book is no exception. There are some interesting bits (including analysis of interactions between users in online groups/clubs/games/orgies) and some interviews with usability and UI professionals, which I liked.
Erik
Mar 21, 2015 Erik rated it liked it
Take a solid usability concept, slap an acronym on it, wait, then change it slightly and slap a new acronym in it, wait, then slice one piece out of it and give it it's own acronym, wait..lather, rinse, repeat.

Okay, that may be extreme, but that's how this book felt while I was reading it. Solid concepts explained repeatedly under different names. Usability engineering is not easy, but it doesn't need to be artificially inflated either. This book could be half its length and still get all points
While this book does have some helpful complements to my Interaction Design and Evaluating Interactive Systems course it does so in such a bland and boring manner that is all too common with school books. This book needs to be heavily edited for redundancy, to improve clarity and to overall be less of a snore so it can actually articulate the helpful information within without putting the reader to sleep.
Michele
Mar 27, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university
Lots of good stuff, but various examples were too subjective and didn't really cover most of the cases.
I have skipped some parts, I have to admit, since they were not useful to my research.
Calvin
Nov 15, 2012 Calvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with wonderful examples, case studies and online material.
Emil
Mar 17, 2016 Emil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At my university we have the course "Interaction Design", where this book is reading material. I don't find the course too exciting, but the books is totally worth reading while taking the course. It covers a lot of areas.
Alexandra
Nov 05, 2014 Alexandra rated it liked it
Shelves: art-design
Although not thoroughly read; I followed a course covering this book and in my opinion it contains a lot of interesting approaches and helpful starting points for user research and testing.
JanSru
Probably the most comprehensive and authoritative interaction design (HCI) textbook as of now.
Derek Baldwin
Nov 30, 2014 Derek Baldwin rated it liked it
this is a set book for my OU module and while I stand by my earlier progress review the Achilles heel is how outdated it is. Its a quick moving field, of course, but the examples are sometimes quite laughably lame, and what the text implies are bold new web initiatives turn out to be defunct on more than one occasion. Having read a fair bit of the book now, in a non linear fashion, i have to say its pitched too low (e.g. explaining what the difference is between open and closed questions, gee, t ...more
Suliman
Jun 07, 2014 Suliman rated it liked it
.قرأت أجزاء منه. ممتاز للمبتدئين والمهتمين
Elviszzh
Feb 03, 2016 Elviszzh marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
zzz
Mike
May 09, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A set text from my recent degree, which I had to skip through to complete the study module within the time set. Having re-read it in detail I cannot recommend it highly enough for anyone who wants a detailed understanding of Interaction Design processes.

The book comes with a great set of online study aids also, including video, powerpoint, and lots and lots of recommended further reading.
Karla Kitalong
I've assigned this book for my undergraduate course. It's hefty, but focused on usability/user-centered design, so I hope it will be a good choice. I'm not totally comfortable with the order of the chapters. Because I read the last 25% in 2011, and because I'll read it again alongside the students, I'm counting it as a 2011 book.
Mike
Jun 26, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
As a set text this has proved very useful, although many of the reference sources are now out of date. This has proved a very thought-provoking and interesting introduction to the science of human computer interaction.
Timothy
This isn't a strong subject for me; I enjoy reading about new interface models but find the best practices to be terribly boring. I do, however, want to recognize what a well-constructed textbook this is.
Sarismartinez
Oct 11, 2007 Sarismartinez added it
Recommends it for: yes
Great textbook to understand the psychology of humans interacting with technology. How humans need to communicate within each other, getting involved emotionally utilizing technology as a very powerful tool.
Neil
Jan 29, 2009 Neil rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
I am reading this book for a class of the same name. So far I really like it. Easy to read with good information. I wish the class I read it for was as good as the book.
Sri
Apr 28, 2011 Sri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: geeky
Karena besuk sudah ujian berarti buku ini saya nyatakan sudah selesai dibaca :D walaupun sebagian besar cuma file ppt-nya yang dibaca >:).
Marty Tormoe Yo
Jan 22, 2009 Marty Tormoe Yo rated it really liked it
It's a very good book if you are in this field. I agree with most of their research though it is quickly becoming dated.
Norah Shalhoub
Nov 25, 2010 Norah Shalhoub rated it it was amazing
I loved it, it helps you to know how to develop interactive products that are usable -effective to use-.
BUDOOR
May 03, 2013 BUDOOR rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Very interesting, this book is the core place to start before thinking about technology & multimedia design.
Hahn hahn
Feb 05, 2012 Hahn hahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mau membuat sebuah produk? bacalah buku ini. menjelaskan mengenai desain interaksi yang baik seperti apa, dll
Joe Nickence
May 28, 2013 Joe Nickence rated it liked it
I picked this up at my local Goodwill store. I keep telling myself I *need* to read this.
Gry Askaa
Sep 08, 2012 Gry Askaa rated it liked it
Too long, could have explained the same in 1/3 of the pages. However good introduction to HCI
Kap
Mar 27, 2013 Kap marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kate
Oct 29, 2008 kate rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, usability
Reading for HCI 440 - Usability Engineering.
Pedro Rosas
Nov 28, 2012 Pedro Rosas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ixd-hci
In the mind and bookshelf of any IxD ...
Hannah
Nov 15, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's just say I'm glad it's over. :)
Mathijs Nieuwenhuijsen
Mathijs Nieuwenhuijsen marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • Thoughtful Interaction Design: A Design Perspective on Information Technology
  • The Persona Lifecycle : Keeping People in Mind Throughout Product Design
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Thoughts on Interaction Design
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
197746
Yvonne Rogers is a Professor of Interaction Design, the director of UCLIC and a deputy head of the Computer Science department at UCL. Her research interests are in the areas of ubiquitous computing, interaction design and human-computer interaction. A central theme is how to design interactive technologies that can enhance life by augmenting and extending everyday, learning and work activities. T ...more
More about Yvonne Rogers...