Start by marking “New York” as Want to Read:
New York

New York

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Capturing the towering emotion & the claustrophobic 24-hour drama of New York City, 'New York' is the ultimate tribute to the world's ultimate metropolis. This thorough appraisal of the greatest modern city covers every aspect of the New York story from history, architecture, design, art, & fashion to music, film, dance, & sports.
Published December 1st 2008 by ABRAMS (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New York

Scott Fuchs
Having read over 100 histories of New York [both illustraqted and non, this book towers above even the best. Sadly,it seems that Knopf totally missed the boat in promoting this masterful work.
Brilliantly formatted, photographically edited and incisively written it is for all who have a passion for New York's past.
Rob
It’s kind of amazing when you think how new America is and that such a vastly wild geographic region could be remade into a massive city so quickly. The amount of people pouring into the city to create something new is awe inspiring. I think what’s most interesting is that in this new space there truly was the ability to succeed from nothing because of the sheer need for growth in such an undeveloped landscape, the power of commerce is monumental and frightening really.
There was something reall
Alex Telander
Probably one of the best release this year from eminent publishers Alfred A. Knopf, New York: An Illustrated History is a coffee table book like no other. Published as a companion to the well-know PBS series on the history of New York, this book serves as a unique tome on its own, destined for every library in the country – in home, school or public.

You are taken on a journey through New York’s past, in it’s founding stages as New Amsterdam, into the nineteenth century, with the upheavals of the
Ben
Sep 30, 2011 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What everybody is saying about this book is absolutely true. It is an excellent, comprehensive, beautiful, and highly readable history of the most fascinating and vibrant city in America. It is written not as a continuous narrative, but as a series of essays accompanying the remarkable images that show the story. Many times I found myself wanting to read the rest of the story in an essay, but this is not any one story, but hundreds of windows. We get to read about the context and a little of the ...more
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A huge tome of a book, but so engrossing. I was caught up in the city from 1609 to 1999 for hours on end. So many great stories and with wonderful interesting photos to match. I have been to New York many times, but this will make future visits all the more meaningful. I want to now find the PBS series that this companion book is from.
Melanie
Jan 08, 2009 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm addicted to NYC and anything about it. It's not just cuz I've been there a gazillion times. Even if I didn't live near the city, I would still gobble up anything about it. This book IS great, ya'll! The pictures alone make it worth it, but wait...there's also informative text to go along with it. If you're interested in the history of the Big Apple, or just like lugging around big books, you definitely gotta check this book about. Would I lie to you about great literature? ...more
Nycdreamin
Feb 25, 2010 Nycdreamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A monster book of history on the world's most amazing city, New York. 626 pages containing hundreds of beautiful b&w and color photographs and more historical information than most people will be able to digest, this is the perfect companion piece to Ric Burns' amazing 8DVD box set documentary, also titled "New York".

Whether you are new to learning about the history of New York City or even if you think you know alot about the history of the city, this book will definately add to your knowle
Tom Menner
Jul 04, 2012 Tom Menner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the hardcover coffee table version of this book, and similar to "The Civil War" (by Ric's brother Ken) this book does justice what was a great documentary miniseries. Both the documentary and the book do a great job supplying history and illustrations to show NYC's ups and downs - and how it became the greatest city in the world. My edition does not include the events of 9/11, whereas current editions of the documentary include a 9/11 coda episode.
Brian
Jan 31, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating depiction of NYC from its origins as a Dutch outpost up to, and including, the events of 9/11. All the info is laid out both chronologically and by topics.

This coffeetable book is an excellent companion to the six DVD set that was released a few years back. I HIGHLY recommend both of them; although one their own they are an educational look at the Big Apple.
John
Great pictures. Kinda skimpy on the history and long on boosterism. (New York is big! And busy! And growing bigger and busier every decade!) Lots of breathless prose but it's a good quick-ish overview of the city. It's mostly Manhattan- and landmark-centic (of course).
Amanda
Nov 08, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical review of NYC - stunning photographs. Gives wonderful perspective and insight on how environmental, economic, and social factors influenced the evolutionary process this powerhouse city.
Ryan
Aug 04, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is adapted from the PBS series by Ken Burns. I've never seen the series, but I loved this book. Excellent complete history of New York City.
Hector
Feb 01, 2008 Hector rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urbanites, New Yorkers, History Buffs
Recommended to Hector by: No one
If you're looking for a book about the history of New York that is easy to read and fills you up, this is the one. It is an excellent book.
Jordan
Jan 02, 2009 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG. I love this book. This is where I really started to learn about and appreciate New York City.
Monica
This is a gorgeous volume chock full of history and illustrations. Massive. Masterful. Like it's subject.
Rick
Dec 21, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series, great book. No story untold about NYC's primary place in the nation's history.
Kevin
Mar 13, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
huge, fascinating and smooth reading. you can't carry this around, but you'll want to.
Julie
Feb 09, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, with lots of great illustrations and photographs.
Brian
Dec 23, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love New York and consider New York a religion.
Greatest historical overview of the greatest city on earth.
Harlan
Nov 02, 2013 Harlan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great history of America's greatest city.
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Paul Martin
Paul Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
JM Nelson
JM Nelson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
  • Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis
  • Lost New York
  • The Encyclopedia of New York City
  • Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City
  • AIA Guide to New York City: The Classic Guide to New York's Architecture
  • Conquering Gotham: A Gilded Age Epic: The Construction of Penn Station and Its Tunnels
  • The Historical Atlas of New York City: A Visual Celebration of Nearly 400 Years of New York City's History
  • Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City
  • Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898
  • The Flatiron: The New York Landmark and the Incomparable City That Arose with It
  • New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009
  • Shutting Out the Sky: Life in the Tenements of New York, 1880-1924
  • Higher: A Historic Race to the Sky and the Making of a City
  • Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York
  • Five Points: The Nineteenth-Century New York City Neighborhood That Invented Tap Dance, Stole Elections and Became the World's Most Notorious Slum
  • Ship Ablaze: The Tragedy of the Steamboat General Slocum