New York

New York

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Capturing the towering emotion and the claustrophobic 24-hour drama of New York City, "New York" is the ultimate tribute to the world's ultimate metropolis. This thorough appraisal of the greatest modern city covers every aspect of the New York story from history, architecture, design, art, and fashion to music, film, dance, and sports. Eighteen chapters of new and archiva...more
Published December 1st 2008 by ABRAMS (first published November 2nd 1999)

Rob
It’s kind of amazing when you think how new America is and that such a vastly wild geographic region could be remade into a massive city so quickly. The amount of people pouring into the city to create something new is awe inspiring. I think what’s most interesting is that in this new space there truly was the ability to succeed from nothing because of the sheer need for growth in such an undeveloped landscape, the power of commerce is monumental and frightening really.
There was something reall...more
Alex Telander
Probably one of the best release this year from eminent publishers Alfred A. Knopf, New York: An Illustrated History is a coffee table book like no other. Published as a companion to the well-know PBS series on the history of New York, this book serves as a unique tome on its own, destined for every library in the country – in home, school or public.

You are taken on a journey through New York’s past, in it’s founding stages as New Amsterdam, into the nineteenth century, with the upheavals of the...more
Ben
What everybody is saying about this book is absolutely true. It is an excellent, comprehensive, beautiful, and highly readable history of the most fascinating and vibrant city in America. It is written not as a continuous narrative, but as a series of essays accompanying the remarkable images that show the story. Many times I found myself wanting to read the rest of the story in an essay, but this is not any one story, but hundreds of windows. We get to read about the context and a little of the...more
Cheryl
A huge tome of a book, but so engrossing. I was caught up in the city from 1609 to 1999 for hours on end. So many great stories and with wonderful interesting photos to match. I have been to New York many times, but this will make future visits all the more meaningful. I want to now find the PBS series that this companion book is from.
Melanie
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm addicted to NYC and anything about it. It's not just cuz I've been there a gazillion times. Even if I didn't live near the city, I would still gobble up anything about it. This book IS great, ya'll! The pictures alone make it worth it, but wait...there's also informative text to go along with it. If you're interested in the history of the Big Apple, or just like lugging around big books, you definitely gotta check this book about. Would I lie to you about great literature?...more
Nycdreamin
A monster book of history on the world's most amazing city, New York. 626 pages containing hundreds of beautiful b&w and color photographs and more historical information than most people will be able to digest, this is the perfect companion piece to Ric Burns' amazing 8DVD box set documentary, also titled "New York".

Whether you are new to learning about the history of New York City or even if you think you know alot about the history of the city, this book will definately add to your knowle...more
Tom Menner
I have the hardcover coffee table version of this book, and similar to "The Civil War" (by Ric's brother Ken) this book does justice what was a great documentary miniseries. Both the documentary and the book do a great job supplying history and illustrations to show NYC's ups and downs - and how it became the greatest city in the world. My edition does not include the events of 9/11, whereas current editions of the documentary include a 9/11 coda episode.
Brian
A fascinating depiction of NYC from its origins as a Dutch outpost up to, and including, the events of 9/11. All the info is laid out both chronologically and by topics.

This coffeetable book is an excellent companion to the six DVD set that was released a few years back. I HIGHLY recommend both of them; although one their own they are an educational look at the Big Apple.
Scott Fuchs
Having read over 100 histories of New York [both illustraqted and non, this book towers above even the best. Sadly,it seems that Knopf totally missed the boat in promoting this masterful work.
Brilliantly formatted, photographically edited and incisively written it is for all who have a passion for New York's past.
John
Great pictures. Kinda skimpy on the history and long on boosterism. (New York is big! And busy! And growing bigger and busier every decade!) Lots of breathless prose but it's a good quick-ish overview of the city. It's mostly Manhattan- and landmark-centic (of course).
Amanda
Excellent historical review of NYC - stunning photographs. Gives wonderful perspective and insight on how environmental, economic, and social factors influenced the evolutionary process this powerhouse city.
Ryan
This book is adapted from the PBS series by Ken Burns. I've never seen the series, but I loved this book. Excellent complete history of New York City.
Hector
Feb 01, 2008 Hector rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urbanites, New Yorkers, History Buffs
Recommended to Hector by: No one
If you're looking for a book about the history of New York that is easy to read and fills you up, this is the one. It is an excellent book.
Jordan
OMG. I love this book. This is where I really started to learn about and appreciate New York City.
Monica
This is a gorgeous volume chock full of history and illustrations. Massive. Masterful. Like it's subject.
Rick
Great series, great book. No story untold about NYC's primary place in the nation's history.
Kevin
huge, fascinating and smooth reading. you can't carry this around, but you'll want to.
Julie
Very interesting, with lots of great illustrations and photographs.
Brian
Dec 23, 2007 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love New York and consider New York a religion.
Greatest historical overview of the greatest city on earth.
Harlan
A great history of America's greatest city.
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Robert Jones
Robert Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Craig Swanson
Craig Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Still New York Ansel Adams: A Documentary Film Donner Party The Civil War: An Illustrated History Coney Island