Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)

Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin #7)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  2,881 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Agatha Raisin 50s takes on PR for launch of bottled water from nearby Anscombe spring, and finds corpse there of Parish Council chairman Mr Struthers, his vote not committed. Aggie beds her "beautiful" boss Guy Freemont 30s, despite her ex James and Guy's long-legged secretary. She careens around Cotswolds, asks neighbors nosy questions, yet wonders why they are so mean.
Hardcover, LC 98014177, 184 pages
Published August 1998 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
231st out of 1,069 books — 1,245 voters
The Quiche of Death by M.C. BeatonThe Vicious Vet by M.C. BeatonAgatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham by M.C. BeatonDeath of a Kingfisher by M.C. BeatonDeath of a Chimney Sweep by M.C. Beaton
M. C. Beaton
11th out of 54 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Yvonne
A new mineral water company invades Agatha Raisin’s neighboring village of Ancombe and everyone is angry that it will tap into the village spring. When Agatha stumbles upon the murdered body of the council chairman, who hasn’t yet cast his vote for the water company, she puts herself right into the middle of things. First, she accepts a PR job for the water company and then she starts asking questions. As usual, she sticks her nose where it doesn’t belong making everyone angry.

Still mooning over
Gerry
Here she is again. Retired London PR executive Agatha who lives a quiet and secluded life (???) in a Cotswold village gets back into the business with a water company. And, surprise, surprise, a coupld of murders take place under her very nose. Flirtatious, jealous, cigarette-smoking, outspoken she may be but her charm remains and her penchant for sniffing out a villain is still there! With the aid of a friendly detective, an ex-colleague and her ever-present, or as the case may be, absent, hear ...more
Denise
Poor Agatha! James is ignoring her and nasty when he does talk to her. There's a new woman in the village who is a nasty piece of work. Her former colleague Roy Silver talks her into taking a PR job for a new bottled water company that is marketing water from a nearby village, but everything goes wrong, including her finding a murdered man in the spring. And the main suspects are that village's council, who don't get along and seem to take delight in insulting Agatha. The only bright spot is one ...more
Kate Millin
From the back of the book:
'Agatha Raisin's neighbouring village of Ancombe is usually the epitome of quiet rural charm, but the arrival of a new mineral water company - which intends to tap into the village spring - sends tempers flaring and divides the parish council into two stubborn camps'

...and of course murder follows on. Agatha gets mixed up in a number of ways - sleuthing but also acting as a PR person for the water company. She is still mooning over James - but that is not going to chang
Catherine
Arrived in the post, started straight away and finished before I did anything else, including ea. I'd arrived home tired and lazy so a nice cosy mystery with familiar characters was just what I needed in order to wind down. Agatha fitted the bill perfectly. I think I'm more or less up to date with her now: the stories are discrete enough not to suffer too badly from reading out of sequence, although I can see that they might be a bit much read all in one go.
In this episode, Agatha is still at th
Jolene
I love cozies, but usually after book 5 or 6 in a series I get bored with it (really how many villagers can be killed off before everyone leaves?). That is not the case with the Agatha Raisin books. I love the characters, the village, and I haven't been able to guess the killer in any of the books. Every time I think I've figured it out there's a new twist. This title was a nice addition to the series. The only thing I didn't care for is how Agatha keeps letting Roy into her life. He is no frien ...more
Natasha Penney
I was looking forward to reading this book after my previous choice (Jill Alexander Essbaum's "Hausfrau" - completely wonderful but emotionally exhausting). What draws me to this series is its easy familiarity, similar in many ways to Agatha Christie's Miss Marple books. Not that I'm intimating the writing is on parr with the incomparable Christie books, but there's a presence of easy patterns, neat conclusions and unchallenging character development. But I found this book irritating and unsatis ...more
Ali
Not sure why but I didn't enjoy this 7th Agatha Raisin as much as the previous ones. I don't think it is as funny, and Agatha still seems a little sad and vulnerable - just as she was in the last book. She makes several disastrous romantic decisions, which I found frustrating. A light undemanding read, but it lacked something that the first few books had, not sure what that is though. as a character Agatha is brilliant though, and I will still be reading the rest - in time.
Emma
I felt this was much more the Agatha Raisin I enjoy back in Carsley then the last outing on Cyprus. Agatha is back to her best, but this time is engaged by a water company that wants to take water from Ancombe Wellspring so seems more of a reluctant sleuth when the head of Ancombe council is found dead at the Wellspring. A return of Mrs Bloxby and Ray Silver also made this book more enjoyable.
pdarnold
Poor Aggie, always trying to make amends with James, but seems to fail at every attempt...miserably. This series has been a fun escape and I look forward to more of Agatha Raisin's prickly, but tender personality. She's a delight and a monster, she's tough and insecure an oxymoron all within herself.

Again, Agatha is pining over James. She's unsure what to do with herself. Then comes along Roy, attempting to hire her as PR for an upstart water company, wanting to bottle the water from a local nea
Carol
I enjoy her books, but have a hard time rating them 4 stars. Why I keep reading them I am not sure. Maybe it is because Agatha is so spunky.

Agatha is still moody over the way JAmes is treating her. Yet another mystery occurs. This time a local is killed over water.
An Odd1
Funny Agatha I like. To ubiquitous "Telecom Call Minder .. irritating relic of .. elocution lessons" p 71 "'Did anyone not want to hear messages' thought Agatha crossly" p 72.

Just when she seems toughest, she breaks down. She is human after all. Pressed by Guy to continue working after finding body, "she began to cry" p 113.

Competing on his own to find answers, James dyes his black hair blond, dons "three ear-rings in one ear" p 72, says little to hide upper-class accent. Also undercover, Zak h
Kristen
Kris
Georgiana 1792
Tornata nei suoi amati Cotswolds, Agatha cerca di riprendere la sua solita vita, nonostante l’apatia per l’abbandono di James e l’antipatia verso la signora Darry, nuovo acquisto fra le fila della Società delle Dame di Carsely.

C’è una nuova controversia all’ordine del giorno: una società ha acquistato i diritti per imbottigliare l’acqua di un’antica sorgente nella vicina cittadina di Ancombe. Il resoconto dello scontro fra i favorevoli e i contrari – che fa sbadigliare Agatha – è l’eterno contra
Damaskcat
In the nearby village of Ancombe there is a spring which runs through a garden and then into a drinking fountain. When a company wants to bottle and sell the water the parish council members are divided about whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. Agatha Raisin is asked to do the PR for the company as she lives locally. When a member of the parish council is found dead in the spring things threaten to go pear shaped.

Naturally Agatha feels the need to get involved in the investigation into
bella
Agatha Raisin is called in to help her old publicity firm to assist a new water company and their bid to buy water from a local spring in Ancombe and market it for sale. The town of Ancombe is in uproar that their spring is going to be used for capitalism, with everyone on the parish council taking sides. When the chairman of the parish council turns up dead, it would seem that he has been killed for the way he would vote (either for or against, no one knows). Agatha decides to investigate and t ...more
Alan
Oh, Agatha, you seemed to receive even more blows to your ego than usual in this adventure! Another entertaining Agatha Raisin story from that hotbed of murder and mayhem: the picturesque village of Carsley in the English Cotswolds. Thank God for the Vicar's wife, Mrs Bloxley, who once again goes above and beyond to soothe and solve. Agatha sets out to solve the first of a series of murders surrounding a natural spring in a nearby village and the company that seeks to bottle its water.
Ann Boytim
Agatha again does what she thinks is right. Agatha is again living next door to James and she is desperately wanting them to get back together but James is very cold towards her so Agatha moves on and now gets involved with her new employer who is much younger than she is, trying to make James jealous. Agatha has a murder to solve as usual and tries in her own way to get this solved but James decides is wants in on the action and they eventually team up to make sure the murderer is found .
Dolly
Dec 31, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Book #7 in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton takes us back to the Cotswolds for another murder mystery.

I started reading this series this year and I like it; I will certainly be looking for the next book in the series soon. The stories are short, entertaining brain candy. I am starting to feel like there's a lot of repetition in the stories and I'm not sure if I will still enjoy the series after 22+ books. Will Agatha ever make a wise decision in any matters outside of business?

This book
Gail
Agatha is back to her old tricks, trying to solve a murder in her adopted English village. She accepts the job of PR person for a water company that has purchased the rights to a stream that goes through the center of the town, but many who live nearby are up in arms about the supposed swindling of a natural resource. When the head of council is found murdered, suspicion falls on those who opposed the water scheme, and Agatha reluctantly accepts the challenge of finding the killer.
Lisa
Ah, Agatha and James at it again. I can't imagine living like that, but it seems to work just fine for Raisin and Lacey. So much tension!

I enjoy this series. You never know what will catch Agatha's attention or how she'll pursue her goals. I enjoy the books when she already has her detective agency better, as it makes more sense for her sleuthing excuses, but they're all a good read. I sometimes wish the books were longer, but there are so many, so I'll just keep reading.
Stephen Lawton
For a lady with bearish eyes and a tight waistband, Agatha seems to get a decent share of nooky. Lovely to have her back in Carsley though the ongoing issues with James Lacey can begin to bore. Then again her adolescent ways with men provide quite a bit of mirth. I couldn't keep up with all the potential suspects but like Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher, Agatha is all about the location and ongoing characters, murder & mystery are secondary.
Dominika
Most már kijelenthetem, hogy sosem csalódom Agatha Raisin történeteibe! Mindig viccesek, át lehet érezni az adott helyszín szépségét úgy, hogy nem csap át unalmas tájleírásokba! Agatha egyszerűen tökéletes ezzel a tökéletlenségével!
Mrs. Bloxby hatalmas arc, nagyon kedvelem, és mindig ott van Agatha számára, hogy segítsen vagy éppen meghallgassa őt.
Ezt a részt különösen átéreztem, mivel a nyár itt is őszbe fordult :)
Michelle
The 7th book in the Agatha Raisin series has Agatha back and home and down in the dumps about James. She gets talked into promoting a water company that is going to bottle water from a spring/fountain in a nearby village for her old firm. The problem is that the local council is divided down the middle on whether or not to allow the deal to go forward. When the head of the council and decider of the tie ends up dead with his blood pouring into the fountain, Agatha takes on the dual role of inves ...more
Helén Szőke
A nice crime, no horrible gory bits, just well written, laugh out loud bits. M.C. Beaton a very prolific writer who I'm sure aims to outdo Agahta Christie ( and writes in the a similar fashion) has made very identifiable characters with Agatha and Hamish (Hamish Macbeth series) , they are easy to read and before you know it you're looking for the next and then the next in the series.
Adam
Post Listen Review: Yet another dull entry in the Agatha Raisin series. Surprise, surprise Agatha comes across a body and solves a mystery. The first sentence was "Agatha Raisin was bored and unhappy." That is how I felt through the whole book and that is about the end of my identifying with her. She is always complaining about how her "boobs are not perky like they used to be" or how she is getting older and how she is getting fatter and fatter. Yet she is sleeping with more than one guy. She i ...more
Arnault Duprez
Sempre simpatico, attenzione però come tutte le serie con un protagonista non bisogna leggerne a distanza ravvicinata. Diventa prevedibile. In questo romanzo l'autrice fa diventare la sua protagonista un po troppo assatanata. E' vero che gli ormoni fanno scherzaci ma senza esagerare. In conclusione mi ha divertito ma meno del solito.
Helene Harrison
Review - Agatha is as funny as always. Roy, however, is beginning to get more and more on my nerves. Guy Freemont was just creepy from the beginning, and James is also getting on my nerves, not being able to make his mind up about Agatha. There were almost too many suspects in this one. Although I still enjoyed it, there was no way I could guess whodunit. It kept me reading though, as I wanted to know. What really gets you hooked on these mysteries is the character of Agatha who Beaton has writt ...more
Emily Cullen
Another one in the series of M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin. Agatha's not the most likable middle-aged woman but she does have a gift for solving mysteries with her on again/off again companion, James. I just gave this book three stars because it wasn't as good as the others but I recommend the series as a whole.
  • Hasty Death
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • The Prayer of the Night Shepherd (Merrily Watkins, #6)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)