The Gourmet Club

The Gourmet Club

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The decadent tales in this dazzling collection span forty-five years in the extraordinary career of Japan's master storyteller, Jun'ichiro Tanizaki (1886-1965).
Tanizaki's major novels-Naomi, The Makioka Sisters, A Cat, a Man, and Two Women, and The Key, for example-have already appeared in English, but some of his finest works are short stories, only a handful of which ha...more
Published October 10th 2003 by Kodansha (first published 2001)

David
The Children: Weird. Delicate sadistic aristocratic boy invents weird games for older boys. There's a scene where one boy starts nibbling at the others. A sister gets involved in other games. There's a horrible scene with mochi and snot. Gag.

The Secret: Jaded man gets new kicks dressing as a woman.

The Two Acolytes: Living in a mountain monastery, they've never seen a woman and are kind of interested.

The Gourmet Club: Jaded men have an eating club. They're after new tastes and experiences. Could...more
Sever Gulea
Personajul principal din Secretul care la început doar cochetează cu ideea de a se îmbrăca în femeie și apoi își pune planul în aplicare, reîntâlnindu-și însă o cucerire mai veche, trăiește extazul fascinației față de mister, față de viețile secrete, față de pasiunile cu parfum de fărădelege. Bizarul filosof al filmului din Povestea domnului Aozuka, a cărui viață se centrează în jurul imaginii unei simple actrițe, este de fapt posedat de un voyeurism al perfecțiunii. Grăsanii din Club Gourmet (p...more
Sae-chan
Passion and obsession. When one ends, the other begins. One needs to tread very carefully when decided to walk on this road.

Manganese peroxide.... Hillarious. I think he wrote the whole story just to be able to write the word "manganese peroxide". Just like when I was fascinated with the phrase "attoiumani", I tried to stick it to every conversation.

I have to agree with John Updike. The stories made me hold my breath throughout, and the ending didn't let me fully exhale still.

Larry Brennan
This collection of short stories are mostly from early in Tanizaki's career and show a mastery developed early in life.

The work is brilliant, erotic and disturbing. It teeters on the edge but never quite makes it to indecency (a word I seldom use) as it skitters around almost S&M play (no sex) involving children, food eroticism and food fetishes.

Not for the youngsters, but highly recommended.
Laurel
Sep 23, 2007 Laurel added it
The most recent posthumus collection from this Japanese author whose subjects span early-Westernization and more recent time periods, is startling, revealing, and tickles and senses. I recommend anything by Tanizaki, especially {book: They Key], A Cat, A Man, and Two Women.
Jazmin
Too much guro in the ero-guro.
Geoffrey
A tasty potluck.
l
l marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ana
Ana added it
Jun 05, 2014
Bookstasy
Bookstasy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Dasha
Dasha marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Lede
Lede marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Elena
Elena added it
Mar 12, 2014
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jun'ichiro Tanizaki (谷崎 潤一郎) was a Japanese author, one of the major writers of modern Japanese literature, and perhaps the most popular Japanese novelist after Natsume Sōseki.

Some of his works present a rather shocking world of sexuality and destructive erotic obsessions; others, less sensational, subtly portray the dynamics of family life in the context of the rapid changes in 20th-century Japa...more
More about Jun'ichirō Tanizaki...
The Makioka Sisters In Praise of Shadows Naomi Some Prefer Nettles The Key