Start by marking “Honey from the Rock: An Easy Introduction to Jewish Mysticism” as Want to Read:
Honey from the Rock: An Easy Introduction to Jewish Mysticism

Honey from the Rock: An Easy Introduction to Jewish Mysticism

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Quite simply, the easiest introduction to Jewish mysticism you can read.

An insightful and absorbing introduction to the ten gates of Jewish mysticism and how they apply to daily life. "There is a place that is as far from here as breathing out is from breathing in. For the word is very near to you. Where life forever holds gentle sway over death, where people are human wit
Published December 1st 1999 by Jewish Lights Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Honey from the Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey from the Rock

Kelly
I love this book. I often return to this, even just to read a single passage or section.

An Introduction to Jewish Mysticism, however, I wouldn't call it. I feel that folks who read this with no background in the mystical tenets may have a slightly difficult time. Although the book covers basic ideas in mysticism, I feel the way they are presented may leave some folks in the dark.

Kushner has a unique--and very personal--way of presenting topics in Jewish mysticism, that I really love.

I would reco
Riobhcah
"There is a place that is as far from here as breathing out is from breathing in...It is, to begin with, all inside us. But because we are all miniature versions of the universe, it is also found far beyond."

"And that in each letter and each line and each crownlet of each letter are entrances to worlds of awareness."

Another wonderful mystical spiritual adventure by Rabbi Kushner.
Jules
This is a truly inspirational read. Kushner was recommended to me by a friend's uncle who while being a Christian minister also has a great respect and love of Judaism. This book helped me to open up my own heart to my Jewish heritage. The writing is profound, yet very accessible. It's one of those books that could be read again and again and gain further insight. Highly recommend.
Alice
Read for a book club. Not a book I would have picked up on my own, but I enjoyed it more than I expected. I would not really call this book an intro to Jewish mysticism because the author assumes a familiarity with Jewish texts and the book is sprinkled with quotes in Hebrew and Aramaic. However, his reflections and meditations on the texts provide much food for thought.
John
This book is amazing.
It takes a somewhat popular topic, the zeitgeist esoteric religion of kabbalah and is opening it up in understandable ways.

Rabbi Kushner is well read and versed in the topic.
Someone should pass this off to Madonna!
H. Rose
I saw the Light~* Brilliant book that I read and re-read, and meditate upon.
Joshua Hatton
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Elizabeth Cohen
Elizabeth Cohen marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2015
Shaina
Shaina added it
Mar 10, 2015
Moxie Bestos
Moxie Bestos marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kabbalah: A Love Story God Was in This Place and I, I Did Not Know The Book of Letters: A Mystical Hebrew Alphabet Jewish Spirituality: A Brief Introduction for Christians Invisible Lines of Connection: Sacred Stories of the Ordinary