Start by marking “Honey for a Teen's Heart: Using Books to Communicate with Teens” as Want to Read:
Honey for a Teen's Heart: Using Books to Communicate with Teens

Honey for a Teen's Heart: Using Books to Communicate with Teens

Help Your Teen Catch the Lifelong Reading Bug. Honey for a Teen’s Heart spells out how good books can help you and your teenager communicate heart-to-heart about ideas, values, and the various issues of a Christian worldview. Sharing the adventure of a book lets both of you know the same people, see the same sights, face the same choices, and feel the same emotions. Life s ...more
Published April 29th 2002 by Zondervan (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Honey for a Teen's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey for a Teen's Heart

Teri Pardue
Jan 11, 2016 Teri Pardue rated it liked it
I finally finished this today after a couple months of reading through each of the 400 recommended books in the second half!
I felt like Hunt & Hampton started off incredibly well! I was copying out quotes, sharing insights with my spouse, and generally impressed with their thoughtfulness about reading to and with your teens. A word to parents about teens on page 15 is incredible! Really hits home how teens need us as parents but we often aid them in filling their schedules so full they neve
We love
Mar 25, 2015 We love rated it really liked it
I really loved how Hunt expounded on the use of books in our lives. She had some really good thoughts on how we talk through and examine all that we read. How books can be the avenue with which we explore everything with our teens. I found her thoughts insightful. A majority of this book is a huge book list. I like this, but I found the beginning chapters the most interesting.
Arlie
Oct 15, 2015 Arlie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's always nice to read about reading. I appreciate Hunt's down-to-earth perspective on book, quality, reading, and morality. I wish I had read this when I was still teaching high school
Matt Chapman
Dec 28, 2016 Matt Chapman rated it really liked it
First half (before the book reviews) was particularly excellent.
The reviews in the second half were very informative.
Cindi
Dec 23, 2008 Cindi rated it really liked it
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I was "Honey for a Child's Heart," but I'd still like to own it. I like a lot of her discussion about religion and knowing what you believe. I had a hard time with some dichotomies the author set up between the religious and secular world that make those particular topics seem either/or when I think there is a middle of the road solution. I had my son (12) read this book and I'm excited to use some of the ideas to have discussions with my kids. What makes ...more
Kameron
Jul 29, 2011 Kameron rated it really liked it
Wonderful! Such thought went into Gladys Hunt's introductory chapters and then in Barbara Hampton's individual book/author descriptions. This is a wonderful resource I am glad to own. We've already found some treasures for Jake this summer (age 13) and plan to find many more in our library. I was a little surprised at the inclusion of some books: the Harry Potter series and His Dark Materials trilogy. But the descriptions of these give great encouragement about why these books would be good to r ...more
Annie Kate
Most homeschoolers know about Honey for a Child’s Heart, and recently I read a review of Honey for a Teen’s Heart at the Curriculum Choice. That wonderful review motivated me to look for the book, and as soon as I returned my interlibrary loan copy to the library, I bought it.

It’s that good.

Read my complete review at The Curriculum Choice.

Christine
Jul 06, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
This book is a good resource broken down by genres and I appreciate how she gives detailed recommendations on each book and certain authors, appropriate age levels and the author's world views so parents can have conversations with their kids about ideas that may be different from their own. Hunt also reinforces the idea of reading aloud with your teen and the benefits of reading together. I now have lots of books on my "to read" list.
Wendy
Sep 11, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
I love to read but sometimes it's hard to find a really good book. Even though this book is aimed at helping parents find good literature for their teens, I found many that I want to read too. The book lists (about 160 pages) are worth the price of the book. I really enjoyed Hunt's earlier book-
Honey for a Child's Heart as well.
Lady
Mar 04, 2014 Lady rated it did not like it
I was after some good historical fiction books to dovetail with homeschooling in Australia but once you get past the classics (most of which I had already noted) most of the books seem to be American and not the pre 18th Century stuff I was hoping for. All up a bit of a boring read for me. If Im not interested in the novels listed fat chance of them interesting my kids.
LeAnne
This a a fabulous book for Christian teens and their families. Limiting young people to "safe" books does nothing to prepare them for the real world. Hunt and Hampton show us how to use the books "everyone" is reading to discuss issues that teens confront and train their minds to think their faith.
Charlotte
Jan 09, 2015 Charlotte rated it liked it
I liked it and I'm glad I read it. I didn't like it as much as other Honey books though and the book recommendations seem overall intense and "hard." It was interesting to read them though and I will probably look through this again at some point.
Shauna
May 16, 2008 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Honey for a Chid's Heart. (I know, I'm weird. I like reading books about other books.) This book was very good as well, I think as my children get older, i will use this book as a reference often.
Julee
Nov 04, 2015 Julee rated it really liked it
Much like the Honey for a Child's Heart, it's a good book. After reading the first book, this book was not necessary to read, except for the book lists. The book lists are excellent.
Meadow Frisbie
Dec 04, 2009 Meadow Frisbie rated it liked it
Greaty Selection of books, but the many lists of so many books starts to get overwhellming. But if you are a teen book lover, this is filled with christian books for YOU.
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 12, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
I encourage all parents, but especially those who are homeschooling to get this book and use it as a tool to help your teen make great reading choices.
Anna Thomas
Anna Thomas rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
Linda Spencer
Linda Spencer rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2007
Lisa Oden
Lisa Oden rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Lovereading
Jun 28, 2008 Lovereading rated it it was amazing
Great resource if looking for good reading for teenagers
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Lindsay Bolton
Lindsay Bolton rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Richard Maina
Richard Maina rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Donna Slaboda
Donna Slaboda rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • The Sparrow Found a House (Sparrow Stories #1)
  • Read for the Heart: Whole Books for Wholehearted Families
  • Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories
  • More Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • Sun on the Stubble
  • Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)
  • Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit
  • Theras and His Town
  • Journey Through the Night
  • Camp 30 (Camp X, #2)
  • Riders of the Pony Express
  • Is College Worth It?: A Former United States Secretary of Education and a Liberal Arts Graduate Expose the Broken Promise of Higher Education
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Hittite Warrior
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • A Landscape with Dragons: The Battle for Your Child's Mind

Gladys Hunt was a well-known author and speaker. Her books include Honey for a Woman’s Heart, Honey for a Teen’s Heart, and Honey for a Child’s Heart (revised edition). She also wrote numerous Bible study guides for the Fisherman and Lifeguide series. She lived with her husband, Keith, in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
More about Gladys M. Hunt...