Gendered Lives: Communication, Gender, and Culture

Gendered Lives: Communication, Gender, and Culture

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Written by the leading gender communication scholar, Julia Wood's text introduces students to theories, research, and pragmatic information that demonstrate the multiple and often interactive ways in which our views of masculinity and femininity are shaped within contemporary culture. With the most up-to-date research, balanced perspectives of masculinity and femininity, a...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Gendered Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gendered Lives

Paige
Oct 05, 2012 Paige rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, everyone
I was assigned this book for a gender & communication course.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was how SHORT it was!! Seriously, each chapter (if not each section and each paragraph...) deserves to be fleshed out into its own book. Although I was really familiar with all this stuff already, being into sociology and gender studies and feminism and privilege and human development as I am, she does a great job of getting the information to the reader in a concise, clear, and engaging...more
Terry
I have used this book to teach undergraduate interpersonal communication. Julia Wood's writing is approachable and enlightening. Most students love it. It's a short little book, with great examples of how easy it is to forget that all meaning is not shared the same way. How are are all enculturated into our gender roles is open for criticism, but that we are seems to me a given. If you are interested in how and why men and women communicate as they do, across gender and same-gender, you will fin...more
Ebony
i liked this textbook when i read edition 3 eons ago when i was in school; it's good as far as textbooks can be good but i was so annoyed at her constant references to the black family as being strong and progressive because we don't internalize the man as breadwinner and woman as housewife gender roles. like hell we don't; trying to imitate white gendered standards is what has our families in the mess that we're in and is what has bill cosby and barack obama publicly lamenting that we should be...more
Katie Ary
I read this book for a class I took in college about gender and communication. It is really the only "textbook" that I liked reading for a college class. It wasn't really like a textbook at all. I loved how the author had short stories and related the information to real life situations. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to know more about why people commuicate the way they do.
Scott
I read this in order to review it for my Master's degree in TESOL (Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages).

As an introductory text, it does an excellent job raising the most important issues in common conceptions of gender and how they affect our lives. There is a bit of dry (but interesting) history as background, but there is also a wealth of information on all of the factors that go into gender - biology, cultural beliefs, popular culture, and more.

Not one person can read some of...more
Amanda
Easy read for a college class I'm taking. It should provide interesting class discussions.
Roxy
While I love a book that will discuss the many issues women face today, I particularly love this one for trying to focus evenly on the issues that face both men and women. I would highly recommend this one for anyone wanting to read get more involved in gender issues.
Emma (NeverEnding TBR)
I think this is a fantastic look at gender, sex, etc. and how it affects each aspect of our lives. Wood covers both male and female issues and does it well. This book is full of fantastic examples and it is actually an interesting read.
Ann-Michael Brickey
This textbook literally changed my life. I read it the summer before I turned 27, and it led me to make some pretty serious changes in my life (regarding relationships). I appreciated this textbook so much, that I still have it.
Babs
Loved learning from this book. Do wish there was more discussion on men's problems and different cultures views included in the last chapter, but appreciated the knowledge and depth of research. Has a couple typos but otherwise great.
Mary Anne
I used this book in my Communication & Gender class. Not sure how my students liked it; I should ask. It's not the least expensive book on the market, but Julia T. Wood is quite good, and she references a lot of crucial people.
Christina
great read, but I really hoped Julia would have included more information about bisexuality, it was mentioned a total of 3 times (on the same page) :( overall an amazing book that everyone should read.
Jesse Booth
One of the better textbooks I've had to read for school. Helped me learn more about myself and how culture has influenced who I am.
Vampire-lk
Was a good school book! Interesting points/organisation highlights & theories presented!!
I took a communication class and used this text book. Learned valuable information.
Afnan
Sep 25, 2012 Afnan added it
an eye-opener book about culture, communication, and gender...very insightful
Elizabeth
grubby, bent covers, some water damage. $2.99.
Kristina Leonard
Simply one of the best textbooks I've ever used.
Michelle Beese
Very informative!
Ralitza Gawises
Ralitza Gawises marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Laura added it
Aug 02, 2014
Ishita Mehta
Ishita Mehta is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Julia T. Wood is a Professor of Communication Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Dr. Wood's teaching and research focus on gender, communication, and culture; personal relationships; and feminist theories.
More about Julia T. Wood...
Interpersonal Communication: Everyday Encounters Communication Mosaics: An Introduction To The Field Of Communication (Sixth Edition) Relational Communication: Continuity and Change in Personal Relationships Communication Theories in Action: An Introduction (with InfoTrac) (Wadsworth Series in Speech Communications) Communication in Our Lives