Start by marking “Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive” as Want to Read:
Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive

Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive

One of the most effective and influential Christian teachers of this century reveals how all teachers -- from parents to Sunday school leaders, from pastors to professors -- can make the most of their priceless opportunity to inspire, to instruct, and to permanently impact lives for the kingdom of God. Based on seven proven, easy-to-grasp laws any teacher can apply, Howard ...more
Published May 7th 2003 by Multnomah (first published July 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching to Change Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching to Change Lives

Trae Johnson
Oct 06, 2010 Trae Johnson rated it really liked it
It is a short book, but full of rich and helpful thoughts on the task of the teacher. The acronym TEACHER is a helpful memory devise for remembering Hendricks' 7 ways of change. Also, Hendricks is an enjoyable author to read -- witty, clear, and practical insights.
Nick
Jun 01, 2013 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, own
Do yourself a favor and make a list of great movies about teachers...I'll wait.
Are you finished? Ok. I wonder how many you could list.

Dead Poet's Society
To Sir With Love
Dangerous Minds
Freedom Writers
The Karate Kid (I might be stretching it)
Sister Act 2...well, maybe "great" is loose term

I've always watched these movies and been inspired; however, when was the last time that you sat in a classroom where the teacher or professor even knew the meaning of the word "inspiration"? I've had one of two
OSchrock
Sep 06, 2016 OSchrock rated it it was amazing
This book is written for teachers, but it is also a great, motivating book for students! As he says, a good teacher is a perpetual student.
I appreciate his stress on the portable of the teacher and the student being "on the same team."
As a Pastor/Missionary/teacher, I found this book very helpful and I highly recommend it to all teachers and students
Mike
May 16, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for improving your gift for teaching. Very practical.
Jeremy Zilkie
May 06, 2015 Jeremy Zilkie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
While taking some time away this week to reflect and study, a basic book on teaching principles from one of the greatest (Howard Hendricks) has been a very encouraging and challenging book to read. Having been in the "teaching business" at some level since I was 17, whether it be as a lay person or as a professional, I have heard of many of "the seven" principles, but had not read them as they are joined, organized, and described as they are in this book.

The book itself was written in the 1987,
Patrick S.
Nov 24, 2012 Patrick S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an amazing and inspiring book. From the prologue, it grabs you right away. Hendricks personality really shines through in his thoughts and examples and you can tell that he is a person who exudes the type of teaching he is describing. Don't go into this thinking the "7 Laws" are this type of "get rich quick" type teaching. They are build on solid, biblical doctrine and they are there to inspire you to be a teacher (of any subject) that can inspire generations. If you are mentoring, ...more
B
Oct 20, 2016 B rated it it was ok
Teaching should cause learning. Learning is change.
Iordachescu
Sep 18, 2015 Iordachescu rated it it was amazing
"Aceasta este cheia în studiul biblic: învaţă-i ce să caute şi atunci vor găsi."
"Cei mai mulţi profesori merg la ore fie pregătiţi parţial, fie total nepregătiţi. Ei sunt ca mesagerii fără mesaj. Lor le lipseşte în întregime puterea şi entuziasmul necesare pentru a da roadele pe care am îndreptăţiţi să le vedem din eforturile pe care le fac." John Milton Gregor
"Întrebarea-cheie este... Tu eşti motivat?"
"-Prefer ca sudenţii mei să piardă aici, dar să cîştige în viaţă, şi să piardă în rest. Dar no
Susan Barnes
Jun 13, 2015 Susan Barnes rated it liked it
Dr. Howard Hendricks has spent a lifetime teaching students in various disciplines and brings to his subject a wealth of experience. He aims his book, Teaching to change lives, mostly at those who teach in church settings such as Sunday School classes, Bible Study groups and those doing theological studies.

Though I've never met the author I imagine he speaks like he writes. The book is written with a great deal of passion and enthusiasm. You can almost hear his excitement which makes it easy to
Scott
Think about the best teacher you've ever had. Chances are, it was far more than just the fact that this teacher communicates well that made him or her a favorite. This is the premise of Hendricks' seminal book. Effective communication isn't the only component of life-changing teaching; in fact, it's a very small part of the process.

Chock-filled with illustrations and anecdotes, Hendricks covers seven of his "laws of a teacher" that not only teach you how to be a transformational teacher, but rem
Megan Franks
While this book seems to focus on education within the church, it is based on John Milton Gregory's "The Seven Laws of the Teaching" which is very much emphasized in the school where I teach. Hendricks was very insightful and challenging while remaining lighthearted and humorous. He follows each of the seven "laws" and elaborates on them, giving practical applications and expelling the importance of each.

Though I read this book as part of my professional development as a school teacher, it shoul
Gabe
Jan 10, 2016 Gabe rated it really liked it

Practical walkthrough of what to think about if you're in a position to teach. Discusses method in terms of the underlying reasons and attitudes that shape the teachers goals, the teacher's relationship with the student, and the desired effect on the student's attitude and goals.

The intended audience is Christians who believe the Bible is the true and infallible word of God and who want to teach Bible to others. Incredibly useful for anyone in the intended demographic, including those who wish

Heather
Apr 28, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any and all teachers
I picked up this tiny book to assuage my boredom on a flight to Oregon in the middle of an crazy semester of student teaching. Hendricks immediately grabbed me and pulled me in with his concise, no-nonsense style that comes from decades of experience teaching people from all walks of life. It's basically a condensed version of his video series, "The Seven Laws of the Teacher." I found myself pulling out quotations that I know I would do well to hold close to me throughout the duration of my ...more
Natalie Wickham
Oct 29, 2009 Natalie Wickham rated it it was amazing
If I could sit under the teaching of any one person, I think I would choose Dr. Hendricks. Not necessarily because of what he teaches, but because of how he teaches. I have previously listened to both the The Seven Laws of the Learner and The Seven Laws of the Teacher audio series’. The content of the book was very similar to the latter audio series, resulting in a very insightful and practical message. Dr. Hendricks identifies the 7 laws of the teacher as The Law of the Teacher, The Law of ...more
Thomas Arn
Dec 02, 2015 Thomas Arn rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on what teaching is and how to make it better. The author goes over seven different rules on what it means to teach and how to teach. It is focused on teaching specifically in a Sunday School class or a ministry styled teaching. While this is the case, the information contained is applicable to any teaching, whether in a church or in a public school or any other setting. At the end of the book the author does lay out some lessons to go over what was learned in the book. ...more
Morgan Wenger
Feb 10, 2016 Morgan Wenger rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC. I've decided it's the best book I've ever read. If you are a teacher in any capacity at all, it is a must read. Ever paragraph is gold. And it is such an easy read, flowing naturally like a conversation rather than a lecture, which further shows that Dr. Hendricks has proven principles for effective teaching. Such practical, applicable teaching here that I am already planning to use in my small groups, Sunday school classes, and other teaching opportunities. Gold. Pure gold.
Mark
Aug 23, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
As I would expect from Hendricks, there is much here about how to teach well. He writes from the perspective of a Christian Education seminary professor, so his examples pretty much always involve teaching in a church context and primarily Sunday school. However, I don't doubt that his principles would transcend settings and subjects. I'm already thinking through how I can incorporate what I learned into my sermons.
Annalee
Oct 23, 2007 Annalee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who teaches
Great little book from someone who *has* to be a phenomenal teacher if his writing style has any bearing upon his classroom presence.

His primary audience is people working in Christian education fields, but it's quite easy to take his ideas and apply them to absolutely any teaching situation. Give him a try, teachers...you only need to invest an afternoon off of grading papers to read this slim little nugget of wisdom.
Clement Lee
May 25, 2015 Clement Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
I did not realize this at first, but Hendricks' writing is so simple that I was tempted to see it as condescension and then ignore it. But no, he writes so simply BECAUSE he is such a great teacher - his aim is to communicate, and this he does so well in words even an 8-year-old child understands. And because he was so childlike in his writing, I was proud to ignore even the most simple but wise words. My, look at me, an undergraduate looking down on a worthy teacher.
Efrem
Jan 26, 2013 Efrem rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent tool for helping teachers to reach students, thereby providing the bridge over which learning can take place. The book is written specifically for those who are teaching within Christian circles, but the principles can be applied to secular settings as well. Dr. Hendricks did a tremendous job with this work.
Eric Beaty
Feb 07, 2011 Eric Beaty rated it really liked it
Great book on teaching. Mostly for Pastors, Sunday School teachers, and Bible teachers, but the principles listed are applicable to all subjects (in my case teaching the guitar). Liked the fact that it was no-nonsense and short. Sometimes concentrated material is better than exhaustive and this is such an instance. Read it in a week and still find myself going back to it again and again.
John
Mar 07, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
From cover to cover Dr. Hendricks provide helpful and insightful information into the area of teaching. For anyone who wishes to teach, whatever sphere that may be whether in the context of the church or in the schools this book is very helpful. Truly a great resource I will be able to use over and over. I highly recommend it.
Matthew Farrell
Mar 17, 2015 Matthew Farrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. The author Howard Hendricks does a great job laying out the different aspects of teaching, in a way where it is mentally stimulating, and deep; yet at the same time easy to read. The concepts presented are very applicable and the illustrations he uses are easy to follow. Plus he has a great sense of humor. Well worth the read.
Francine
Jun 14, 2010 Francine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though this is an older book and written from a specific religious point of view (Evangelical Christian)there is something here for anyone wanting to teach with more passion, more connectedness to one's students and hoping to make real change in one's students.

There is no substitute for a strong passion for one's topic; students get it when we are really connected to our subject matter!
Jerrill Wyler
Jun 01, 2015 Jerrill Wyler rated it it was amazing
Excellent, excellent resource for anyone involved in Christian leadership. Sunday school, Christian school teachers, children's church workers, youth leaders, bible study leader, small group disciples, etc. Also some great pointers and helpful ideas for those men that preach Gods Word each Sunday. If you are striving to impact others for the cause of Christ this book will help you do it better.
Faith
Sep 28, 2015 Faith rated it really liked it
Shelves: discipleship
Hendricks has offered some key simple principles for someone who is keen on wanting to be a better teacher. They are not simply principles to know, but to be practiced. The greatest takeaway from this for me, is to recognize this: to be a better teacher, is to continue be a learner. Learning your students, learning about yourself and many more.
David Jones
Jun 16, 2014 David Jones rated it it was ok
A passionate and powerful persuasion, TtCL reads easily and provides much common sense admonishment to open-minded and beginning teachers. However, Hendricks rhetoric style epitomizes those elements that we most often deride, like question begging, faulty causation, etc. The text also seems better suited for a non-education setting (e.g. Sunday school, church, or support group).
Sarah Manney
Feb 03, 2014 Sarah Manney rated it it was amazing
Whether you're a Sunday school teacher or a Monday through Friday teacher, this is a practicable guide to improve not only your teaching but also the great impact that you can have on your students. I highly recommend this book to new and veteran teachers!
Mary Ann
Jun 20, 2009 Mary Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took Howard Hendricks class on this book at IBS. It was very good; helped me see some hindrances to creativity and learning that the classroom imposes. Was pregnant and sick so I don't remember as much as I wish I did.
Rudy Cordeiro
May 29, 2014 Rudy Cordeiro rated it it was amazing
Love this book...what a great primer on the ministry of the Christian teacher. Using the seven laws of the learner as the backbone to the outline, this book lays out in layman's terms what it takes to become a teacher with lasting impact on students. I highly recommend!
  • The Seven Laws of the Learner: How to Teach Almost Anything to Practically Anyone
  • Creative Bible Teaching
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • The Complete Book of Discipleship: On Being and Making Followers of Christ
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • Repairing The Ruins: The Classical and Christian Challenge to Modern Education
  • Life Application Study Bible, NASB