Start by marking “Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day” as Want to Read:
Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day

Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Breakfast is back! And Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Café offers tasty, protein-rich, meatless breakfasts to boost your energy level and get you going first thing in the morning--or any time of the day. Mollie Katzen provides simple, mouth-watering, healthful recipes and menus for every day of the week, whether you are preparing a sit-down brunch for ten, breakfast-on-the-go fo ...more
Published September 18th 2002 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian by Madhur JaffreyThe New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenVegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah MadisonHow to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark BittmanVegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas
Best Vegetarian Recipe Books
6th out of 134 books — 24 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBreakfast at Tiffany's by Truman CapoteFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThree Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Morning Things
142nd out of 149 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

This book has been languishing on my shelves which is a shame because it is beautiful and is full of great recipes. I pulled it out the other day looking for good ways to use up millet but ended up making the Creamy Feta with Ground Walnuts--a delicious spread that I used to make tartines. (Pst here:

Full of classic and unusual vegetarian breakfast and lunch recipes that can be enjoyed all day long and Katzen's charming and colorful illustrations.
Apr 22, 2008 Cherie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Venessa, Those who like to eat food (especially breakfast)
A+ I LOVE this cookbook--I took it out from the library, renewed it a million times and finally bought it. The recipes are fantastic--geared towards breakfast, including many non-breakfast-y recipes (including ricotta, which I made and came out delish!). The vanilla ricotta muffins came out yum too, and I can't wait to try tons of the other recipes. Best of all, Mollie (I love her so much we're on a first name basis!) offers heaps of cooking tips. Maybe my pancakes will start coming out yummlici ...more
Aaah! Dee-licious,nutritious and informative cookbook about making time for cooking your day's most important meal - breakfast/brunch! Anyone who knows me knows that I'm nuts about eating and making breakfast, so finding this cookbook by accident on the shelves at Powell's was exquisite. I kinda missed Ms. Katzen's signature pen & ink drawings, which have been replaced with more bland oil pastel food renditions...but the content more than makes up for this!

Four forks up!
Some of Mollie Katzen's cookbooks are hit or miss, but I've LOVED everything from this one, especially the seasonal frittatas. It's a really wonderful, cheerful, thorough breakfast cookbook packed with recipes ranging from the really simple - fun things to do with fruit and yogurt - to much more complex - crazy breakfast puddings! I consult this one whenever we're having friends over for brunch or just want something a little bit fancier on our own.
Sep 17, 2008 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love food, glorious food
An entire cookbook devoted to breakfast! What could possibly be more wonderful? I started working my way through this a few years ago, got sidetracked by a bookstore, and just picked it up again. I'm making Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins on Thursday and I'll try at least one recipe a week til I've exhausted the interesting looking ones. Which is most of them, excluding a few that involve cauliflower. Blech.
A book filled with 'morning food' ideas, with lots of tips and background information. I enjoyed the page of 'Breakfast around the world' to compare to standard North American/Continental breakfasts. It is well laid out, though no photos, as is her style.

I did copy a few recipes though:
Raspberry-Drenched Rhubarb,
Chai Oatmeal,
Blueberry Sauce, and
Pumpkin-Orange Marmalade.

Love her cookbooks! I really enjoy breakfast though and this is a great breakfast cookbook...You don't even notice that it is vegetarian... the waffles and pancakes are very good and because she adds protien powder and wheat bran to them you don't get that drop in energy after having a delicious breakfast.
I consider Mollie my first vegetarian inspiration. It was long a go when my friend Ellen gave me Enchanted Broccolie Forest as a present, and at that time that book made it possible to drop the meat.
Sunlight Cafe is wonderful, and the recipes are easy to veganize.
Every recipe I have tried so far in this book has turned out beautifully- chocolate babka, scones, protein bars, pancakes and breakfast mushrooms among many others. Her breakfast ideas are inspiring- a nice departure from the typical meal of bacon and eggs.
I haven't made any of these recipes yet but I have written some down and I am really excited.

They are all breakfast/brunch types and it makes me just want to entertain and have fancy eggs, muffins, fruit platters and who wants to be my guest?
My go-to guide for all things breakfast/brunch. Includes recipes for some of my "greatest hits": ricotta dill muffins, pumpkin chocolate bread, homemade protein bars, home fries, hash browns, and all sorts of egg dishes.
Beautiful to look at and full of upbeat (and useful!) asides about ingredients and techniques. I haven't cooked many of the recipes, but can happily recommend the Breakfast Salad (p. 167) and the Miso Soup (p. 14).
Lisa Urso
Best recipe in the book: The bittersweet mocha coffee cake. I've made it many times and get compliments on it every time I bake it!
A huge collection of recipes, from veggies to grains, fruit to yogurt. This book features my favorite recipe for homemade ricotta.
Mollie Katzen is a wizard! This book has some fabulous recipes. The muffins are the best you've ever tried. Yum!
Great breakfast and brunch recipes. I made the pumpkin muffin recipe with much success.
Angela Skeie
A good read, if you’re into reading cookbooks, but not my go-to recipes.
Excellent! I'm going to have to add this one to my collection!
Margaret Dee
Pretty watercolors. Recepies disappointing.
LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE the babka recipes!!
ladymurmur marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Lynne marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Michele marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Saima Iram
Saima Iram marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Butte added it
Nov 20, 2015
Teresa added it
Oct 21, 2015
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • 1,001 Best Grilling Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make Recipes from Around the World
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
Educated at the Eastman School of Music, Cornell University, and the San Francisco Art Institute. Although her formal training was as an artist and musician, she exhibited natural cooking inclinations from a very early age, and cooked professionally - in restaurants and as a caterer - for ten years. In 1973 she was one of the founders of the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, and during her ...more
More about Mollie Katzen...