Start by marking “Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day” as Want to Read:
Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day

Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  270 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Breakfast is back! And Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Café offers tasty, protein-rich, meatless breakfasts to boost your energy level and get you going first thing in the morning--or any time of the day. Mollie Katzen provides simple, mouth-watering, healthful recipes and menus for every day of the week, whether you are preparing a sit-down brunch for ten, breakfast-on-the-go fo ...more
Published September 18th 2002 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe

Deb
Mar 16, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
This book has been languishing on my shelves which is a shame because it is beautiful and is full of great recipes. I pulled it out the other day looking for good ways to use up millet but ended up making the Creamy Feta with Ground Walnuts--a delicious spread that I used to make tartines. (Pst here: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...).

Full of classic and unusual vegetarian breakfast and lunch recipes that can be enjoyed all day long and Katzen's charming and colorful illustrations.
Cherie
Apr 22, 2008 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Venessa, Those who like to eat food (especially breakfast)
A+ I LOVE this cookbook--I took it out from the library, renewed it a million times and finally bought it. The recipes are fantastic--geared towards breakfast, including many non-breakfast-y recipes (including ricotta, which I made and came out delish!). The vanilla ricotta muffins came out yum too, and I can't wait to try tons of the other recipes. Best of all, Mollie (I love her so much we're on a first name basis!) offers heaps of cooking tips. Maybe my pancakes will start coming out yummlici ...more
Lauren
Dec 21, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Aaah! Dee-licious,nutritious and informative cookbook about making time for cooking your day's most important meal - breakfast/brunch! Anyone who knows me knows that I'm nuts about eating and making breakfast, so finding this cookbook by accident on the shelves at Powell's was exquisite. I kinda missed Ms. Katzen's signature pen & ink drawings, which have been replaced with more bland oil pastel food renditions...but the content more than makes up for this!

Four forks up!
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Some of Mollie Katzen's cookbooks are hit or miss, but I've LOVED everything from this one, especially the seasonal frittatas. It's a really wonderful, cheerful, thorough breakfast cookbook packed with recipes ranging from the really simple - fun things to do with fruit and yogurt - to much more complex - crazy breakfast puddings! I consult this one whenever we're having friends over for brunch or just want something a little bit fancier on our own.
Erica
Sep 17, 2008 Erica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love food, glorious food
An entire cookbook devoted to breakfast! What could possibly be more wonderful? I started working my way through this a few years ago, got sidetracked by a bookstore, and just picked it up again. I'm making Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins on Thursday and I'll try at least one recipe a week til I've exhausted the interesting looking ones. Which is most of them, excluding a few that involve cauliflower. Blech.
Kathryn
Nov 12, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
A book filled with 'morning food' ideas, with lots of tips and background information. I enjoyed the page of 'Breakfast around the world' to compare to standard North American/Continental breakfasts. It is well laid out, though no photos, as is her style.

I did copy a few recipes though:
Raspberry-Drenched Rhubarb,
Chai Oatmeal,
Blueberry Sauce, and
Pumpkin-Orange Marmalade.

WPL

Harmony
Jan 18, 2008 Harmony rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-refreance, own
Love her cookbooks! I really enjoy breakfast though and this is a great breakfast cookbook...You don't even notice that it is vegetarian... the waffles and pancakes are very good and because she adds protien powder and wheat bran to them you don't get that drop in energy after having a delicious breakfast.
Mercedes
Jun 05, 2013 Mercedes rated it it was amazing
I consider Mollie my first vegetarian inspiration. It was long a go when my friend Ellen gave me Enchanted Broccolie Forest as a present, and at that time that book made it possible to drop the meat.
Sunlight Cafe is wonderful, and the recipes are easy to veganize.
Beegobug
Sep 10, 2010 Beegobug rated it it was amazing
Every recipe I have tried so far in this book has turned out beautifully- chocolate babka, scones, protein bars, pancakes and breakfast mushrooms among many others. Her breakfast ideas are inspiring- a nice departure from the typical meal of bacon and eggs.
MichelleMarie
I haven't made any of these recipes yet but I have written some down and I am really excited.

They are all breakfast/brunch types and it makes me just want to entertain and have fancy eggs, muffins, fruit platters and bread....so who wants to be my guest?
Feb 18, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My go-to guide for all things breakfast/brunch. Includes recipes for some of my "greatest hits": ricotta dill muffins, pumpkin chocolate bread, homemade protein bars, home fries, hash browns, and all sorts of egg dishes.
G.G.
Jul 21, 2013 G.G. rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful to look at and full of upbeat (and useful!) asides about ingredients and techniques. I haven't cooked many of the recipes, but can happily recommend the Breakfast Salad (p. 167) and the Miso Soup (p. 14).
Lisa Urso
Nov 16, 2013 Lisa Urso rated it really liked it
Best recipe in the book: The bittersweet mocha coffee cake. I've made it many times and get compliments on it every time I bake it!
Molly
Mar 08, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A huge collection of recipes, from veggies to grains, fruit to yogurt. This book features my favorite recipe for homemade ricotta.
Nancy
Nov 05, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Mollie Katzen is a wizard! This book has some fabulous recipes. The muffins are the best you've ever tried. Yum!
Valerie
Oct 23, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
Great breakfast and brunch recipes. I made the pumpkin muffin recipe with much success.
Angela Skeie
Feb 13, 2011 Angela Skeie rated it liked it
A good read, if you’re into reading cookbooks, but not my go-to recipes.
Michele
Mar 20, 2010 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent! I'm going to have to add this one to my collection!
Margaret Dee
May 30, 2009 Margaret Dee rated it it was ok
Pretty watercolors. Recepies disappointing.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Dec 03, 2013 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it really liked it
LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marie
Dec 28, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I LOVE the babka recipes!!
Trina Williams
Trina Williams marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Ali Anderson williams
Ali Anderson williams marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Zippetyzip
Zippetyzip rated it it was ok
May 19, 2016
Sandra Bird
Sandra Bird rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Audrey Albright
Audrey Albright marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Nhu Truong
Nhu Truong rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
pamela parker
pamela parker rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • Savory Baking: 75 Warm and Inspiring Recipes for Crisp, Savory Baking
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
Educated at the Eastman School of Music, Cornell University, and the San Francisco Art Institute. Although her formal training was as an artist and musician, she exhibited natural cooking inclinations from a very early age, and cooked professionally - in restaurants and as a caterer - for ten years. In 1973 she was one of the founders of the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, and during her ...more
More about Mollie Katzen...