Start by marking “Salad People and More Real Recipes: A New Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up” as Want to Read:
Salad People and More Real Recipes: A New Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up

Salad People and More Real Recipes: A New Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In the much-anticipated follow-up to Pretend Soup, celebrity chef Mollie Katzen cooks up 20 new vegetarian recipes that kids six and under can prepare themselves (with a little help from their adult assistant). The last decade has seen unprecedented demand in healthy eating for kids. Taking this interest one step further, Mollie Katzen presents kid-friendly recipes that wi ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about Salad People and More Real Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salad People and More Real Recipes

Peacegal
Jul 26, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Even though I am an adult, I often feel as if I have the cooking skills of a preschooler. That's why I appreciated this cookbook, with its step-by-step illustrated directions. Actual children will enjoy it as well, as it couldn't make preparing foods any simpler.

Salad People isn't just for vegetarian families, but also those wishing to incorporate more healthy plant-based foods into their routine. It should be noted that the recipes in this book are primarily lacto-ovo vegetarian, with no exchan
Marlee
Mar 15, 2014 Marlee rated it liked it
This book is a lot of fun, as there are instructions that first help the parent know what to prepare, and then picture instructions for the children to follow. I did really love the picture instructions. It made it so fast and easy for my kids to make the recipes. However, I did find that for a book that was supposed to be healthy, a lot of the recipes weren't as healthy as what I would normally make. A few of them we skipped because they called for things that I don't consider healthy and would ...more
Molly
Nov 24, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
Loved this! I had a cherished cookbook as a young child, so I got this (and Pretend Soup) for my son, and he was thrilled. He loves to cook, and the pictures are a big help. He's only 3.5, so he can't read, but he'll say "Ok Mommy, now we throw in the strawberries'- so, ok, they are supposed to be cherry tomatoes, who cares! The best part is that they are 100% vegetarian, so all the fun, without the stress of eliminating ingredients that we don't eat.
Suzy
Jan 17, 2010 Suzy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, cookery, prek
This book is great for preschoolers, parents, and teachers. There are easy step by step instructions in pictures to make the recipes. As a preschool teacher, I have made copies of each picture in a recipe before, and made them into individual cards to hand to each child. Then we look at the recipe together, and sequence the cards and children. This is developmentally appropriate for this age group because sequencing is involved, and each child knows when it is their turn to help. This makes the ...more
Mary Ann
Jan 31, 2012 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Mollie Katzen has three wonderful cookbooks that parents, kids and teachers have loved using. Her first two are for preschoolers and young children: Pretend soup and other real recipes (Tricycle; 96 pp.; $17.99; ages 3 - 8) and Salad people and more real recipes (Tricycle; 96 pp.; $17.99; ages 3 - 8). And her most recent children’s cookbook, Honest Pretzels (Tricycle; 192 pp.; $17.99; ages 8 - 12), is for older children, ages 8 and up. Katzen serves up vegetarian, kid-friendly recipes with clear ...more
Courtney
This book is my non fiction twin the Thunder Cake. Its target audience is preschoolers and elementary students. I paired the two because both are about recipes and children preparing something with little help from an adult. This book has recipes that younger children can prepare on their own and Thunder Cake is about a young girl that makes her grandmas recipe for cake on her own.
Maren Prestegaard
May 14, 2015 Maren Prestegaard rated it liked it
Would totally get for Little M if she embraces cooking but thinking regular old cookbooks would probably serve the same purpose.
Kelly
Nov 28, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
GREAT resource for children because of the pairing of written and illustrated instructions.
Samantha
Jun 05, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
This cookbook for preschoolers is the best I've read to date. Instructions are given in adult and kid versions (the kid versions are highly visual which is a plus for pre-readers), helpful safety tips are included as well as suggestions for child-friendly utensils.

I loved that each recipe was tested using real kids so the feedback presented was accurate.

All of the information included before the recipes is valuable and makes a strong case for including children in the preparation of meals if y
Alison Gonzalez
Jun 22, 2009 Alison Gonzalez rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool teachers/moms
Shelves: food-related
This is a very cool preschool cookbook. The recipes are grown up style and then in pictures for pre-readers. Erin made a broccoli quiche and it was very good. She wouldn't eat it but everybody else in the family liked it. Next she wants to try to make a mango lassi - I think because the picture is orange but hey - it's really cool that she is making anything at all!
Debbie
Oct 13, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
This is a very thought-out format for recipes for kids - the written instructions, the pictures for pre-readers, and the praise/quotes for taste testers really helped to convince my kids at several ages that cooking is easy. I'm so glad I found these recipes while they were young, to expand their palettes and get them involved in the kitchen, at least sometimes.
Michele
May 03, 2008 Michele rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, cookbooks
Great recipes for 3-5 year olds to make "for themselves" with only a little help from mom or dad. Features pictoral recipes for your child to "read" on their own. My daughter loves looking at them and has a wish list of ones she wants to try. A great variety of recipes too - some that require very little cooking (just assemblage) and others that are more involved.
Jackie
Apr 09, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
A vegetable and fruit cookbook that actually might get kids to start eating healthy. Salad People and More Real Recipes is full of kid-friendly, colorful pages with very simple-to-understand directions.

Used for "It's Green and Leafy: Not Trees...Vegetables!"storytime-April, 2010.

Emily
Dec 20, 2011 Emily added it
Recommended to Emily by: I found it myself.
The recipes are followed with step-by-step drawings for the kids to follow. Each recipe is preceded by a handful of quotes by very young children that seem to have been made during the cooking process or after tasting the result. These are quite amusing.
Jenny
Oct 03, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: little cooks
The recipes are good and the seperate instructions for adults and children are great. The kid recipes are illustrated and the adult recipes are printed on the page. It helped get us thinking about fun foods for the kids.
missy jean
Mar 01, 2010 missy jean rated it it was amazing
My favorite kids' cookbook. Each recipe is accompanied by step-by-step pictures so your kid(s) can follow along as you cook. And the food is actually really good (we've already made the granola three times).
Ann
Mar 07, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
We've made several recipes from this book - it's a hit with my 5yr old. He's a picky eater & actually ate what he made. I'll be buying this for my collection.
Mckinley
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, ya, non-fiction
Another very good cookbook for kids with easy to follow directions. I read somewhere that kids who make their food are more likely to eat it!
KidsNonFiction Teton County Library
J 641.5 KATZEN
This is a great book for parents, teachers, and children. Directions are conveniently illustrated for children. (Suzy)
Mamafeelgood
The little one and I are enjoyed looking through this book. I will be checking this out again once he is older.
Polly
Oct 13, 2009 Polly rated it it was amazing
This book is so creative and easy to follow that my preschooler can follow and make these recipes.
Danette
Jun 13, 2011 Danette rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the best kid's cookbooks. Super easy instructions with cute illustrations.
Nelly Paulina
Mar 09, 2009 Nelly Paulina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books, cookbook
chewy energy circles, broccoli quiche, rasberry swirl. yum.
Carrie Hill
Mar 04, 2013 Carrie Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Healthy choices that boost kitchen confidence.
Marcus
Oct 19, 2007 Marcus is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Michi
Salads are the fruit vein of life.
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2016
Mary Putman
Mary Putman marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Ithala
Ithala marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • Counting Lions: Portraits from the Wild
  • Out of Sight
  • Go, Shapes, Go!: with audio recording
Educated at the Eastman School of Music, Cornell University, and the San Francisco Art Institute. Although her formal training was as an artist and musician, she exhibited natural cooking inclinations from a very early age, and cooked professionally - in restaurants and as a caterer - for ten years. In 1973 she was one of the founders of the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, and during her ...more
More about Mollie Katzen...