Start by marking “Bloodfever (Fever, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bloodfever (Fever, #2)

Bloodfever (Fever #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  54,630 ratings  ·  3,050 reviews
I used to think my sister and I were just two nice southern girls who’d get married in a few years and settle down to a quiet life. Then I discovered that Alina and I descend, not from good wholesome southern stock, but from an ancient Celtic bloodline of powerful sidhe-seers, people who can see the Fae. Not only can I see the terrifying otherworldly race, but I can sense...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Bloodfever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodfever

The Holy Terror
I don't like Mac. I don't like Barrons. I'm not even really enjoying the story. So why keep reading, you might ask. Masochism? Some vague sense of loyalty toward friends on here who constantly berate me with, "Keep reading, it gets better!!!" Or, is it really just my obsessive compulsive NEED to see how something ends? Probably a little of all three.

Once we get into the meat of the story, it's very plain to see that Mac hasn't changed, although she sure would like us to think so. She goes on and...more
Kat Stark and the headless Ned

First Book: Darkfever

Third Book: Faefever
Fourth Book: Dreamfever
Fifth Book: Shadowfever
Sixth Book (Dani's POV): Iced

And because once again everyone has reviewed this book in some way, shape, or form. I'm going to be doing mine to the theme of ♫ The Pokemon Theme Song ♪:

♪ I want to be the very best,
Like Alina never was.
To kill off faes is my real test
To defeat them is my cause.

I will travel to Ireland,
Searching far and wide.
Each stupid fae to understand
that Barrens you fucking lied.

Je-ri-cho, (fu...more
Lyndsey
Possible minor spoilers if you haven't read the first book and if any of my random ramblings turn out to be true...

At the beginning of the book, we join Mac just after she finds out that she was adopted. Immediately, she begins to act like her parents just dropped off the face of the earth, and she starts referring to her sister as her only real family. Her attitude instantly turned ungrateful. Yes, she was just being a drama queen, but I know for a fact that you can love someone who isn't relat...more
Tatiana
Sep 10, 2012 Tatiana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fans of urban fantasy
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kat Kennedy
First I want to thank Kat for recommending this series to me. So far it's been exceeding my expectations and I hope it will continue doing so.

In this installment MacKayla Lane continues her search for Sinsar Dubh, a powerful Unseelie artifact containing the deadliest Fae magic. She is recovering from the ordeal she experienced at the end of the previous book and at the same time has to face the aftermath of her actions - Inspector O'Daffy is getting very interested in finding out more about the...more
Mo
4.5 stars.

This one starts off where Darkfever finished. Mac is still in Dublin, trying to find out who killed her sister and why she was killed.

She is still living in Barron's house. Her parents are not happy and they want her home pronto.

“One day you may kiss a man you can’t breathe without, and find breadth is of little consequence.”

They are still on the lookout for the Sinsar Dubh.

Who can she trust? The strange creatures are still everywhere.

“The first promise we had to make ….. was that un
Kat Kennedy
The second installment of Bloodfever is intense, powerful, dramatic and clever.

We see a great deal of character growth from out favorite characters as well as a progression in the plot, albeit a small one.

The writing is, as always, stylish and immersive. The world is complicated, mysterious and intriguing.

Overall, this book is a fantastic second installment in what is an amazing, refreshing and enjoyable series.

PS. I'm either going to kill Barrons sooner or later, or do very, very, very naughty...more
Debra

4.5 *I LOVE THIS SERIES, AND BARRONS, AND MAYBE V'LANE A LITTLE TOO* STARS.

More action, more suspense, more fear, more doubt, more evil, more darkness; all of these elements sure don't make Mac's life any easier. But while the world is turning more evil, she is gaining more knowledge and strength and one thing she makes sure to never lose is: hope.

"Hope is a critical thing. Without it, we are nothing. Hope shapes the will. The will shapes the world. I might have been suffering a dearth of hope
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
4 What-the-BLOODY-Hell Stars

description

"It’s our actions that define us. What we choose. What we resist. What we’re willing to die for.[...]There are only shades of gray. Black and white are nothing more than lofty ideals in our minds, the standards by which we try to judge things, and map out our place in the world in relevance to them."

description

An obsessed man(?) with dangerous secrets.
A seductive prince with his own agenda.
A ruthless Grand Mistress.

And in the middle of this deadly game of chess where the lives o...more
Jo
guilt·y [gil-tee]
adjective
1.characterized by, connected with, or involving guilt: guilty intent.

pleasure [plezh-er]
noun
1.enjoyment or satisfaction derived from what is to one's liking; gratification; delight.

Bloodfever [bluhd fee-ver]
noun
1. see above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mac,

Quick question: (view spoiler)...more
Giselle
Ok ok… I'm starting to get it. This second installment was Much better than the first. It has lots of action and with all the mayhem it gets pretty hard to put down. The mystery, though, is still there picking away at my brain cells. We got no real answers in this one, especially from Barrons. Only more questions. Which ended up being ok because the book is fully loaded and it couldn't possibly all fit in here. Plus the anticipation is kind of fun.

Mac is becoming more independent and grown up wh...more
4 HOOKED-BUT-STILL-FECKING-CONFUSED STARS!!!!!

A lonely boy. A lone man. Alone in a desert beneath a blood-red moon.

Gah, Ms. Moning can write! But it’s not in-your-face. It’s subtle. And I like it. You know what I love the most? I have no idea what ‘s gonna happen next!

This book continues the story from Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning. Mac is living in Barrons Books & Baubles, and after someone tries to kill her, she starts to work at the bookstore. As always, people, or things, are after her. Someone always wants to us...more
Jennifer Kyle

”Question: When you’re one of the few people who can do something to fix a problem, just how responsible does that make you for it?

Answer: It’s how you choose to answer that question that defines you.”

This second book of the series had a ton of surprises and reveals as well as… you guessed it a million more questions. Mac is still living at the Barron’s book store and working with Jericho tracking down all those relics.

Mac find herself in some crazy situations, as well as some steamy ones (beac...more
Kim
Yeah, okay, I'm offically hooked. I stayed up until late last night to finish reading this book, and even then I was tempted to start reading the next book. I'm glad I didn't, or I wouldn't have made it to work this morning.

Well, what can I say about this book... I could fangirl (my default mode ever since I started reading these books), or I could swoon over Barrons (that pretty much takes up 98% of my day already). I just don't know. I feel like singing. For those who don't know me, that's lik...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Granted, Bloodfever seems to have less forward momentum than Darkfever, but I still loved it. I like this voyage of self-discovery that Mac is on. She is growing up the hard way. I think the first person POV works beautifully, because this is fundamentally Mac's story. Of course, Barrons is a huge draw. He's delightfully enigmatic, querulous, and his feelings for Mac come through clearly, even though Mac doesn't really get it. I think Barrons is crazy about Mac. He is very possessive of her, and...more
♥Rachel♥

It’s a little hard for me to write a review for Bloodfever, because I finished it and immediately started the audio of Faefever. I think I might confuse some of both books together if I try to summarize it for anyone. Suffice it to say that I’m hooked!

In Darkfever, Mac was a spoiled, naïve, and innocent young woman out to find her sister, Alina’s murderer. In Bloodfever, Mac has grown up a bit, whether she wanted to or not. She’s still the old-fashioned southern, pink, and sparkle clad woman wh...more
Litchick (aka Navessa Allen)
*Warning: every quote in this review is a spoiler or a mindfuck*

*Un-warning: if you haven’t read the series, you won’t understand a single one and nothing will be spoiled for you*

BEHOLD THE GENIUS OF KAREN MARIE MONING!

“Barrons has something the rest of us don’t have…there’s something that never crawled all the way out of the swamp. It didn’t want to. It likes it there.”

“Far beneath me, in the marrow of the ground, something bayed.”

“American?”
I nodded. “You?” He didn’t sound Irish.
“Little of thi
Debra Anastasia
Are you freaking kidding me? I can not believe this author. I swear she types using only her steel plated balls. That's right. I bet she is banging away on her keyboard with a pair of hairy larrys. This book is fearless. I really would love to be in the room when she just said, " the hell with it, My main character is going to just face everything, all the time and be solid awesome throughout." her awesome sauce is so thick you could pave a road with it. This is my kind of book. I'm not ashamed...more
Ronyell
I have noticed that it has been years since I had read Karen Marie Moning’s first novel in her popular “Fever” series “Darkfever.” Now, I am back with a vengeance and I have just recently picked up the second book in the “Fever” series “Bloodfever” and it is as good as the first novel!

MacKayla Lane is back and this time, she and her new brash yet mysterious partner Jericho Barrons are searching for a mysterious book called the Sinsar Dubh which contains the darkest magic imaginable! But, MacKayl...more
Flannery
This series is like craic to me.
Or this series is so full of craic it is pouring out its petunia.

Er, is craic a noun or an adjective?

Either way, <3
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Although it may not seem like it, this isn’t a story about darkness. It’s about light.

For now, we don’t get this eagerly awaited light, so we have to settle for the darkness. Which I absolutely love. I’m praying for it to last for another five books or so.

Now I’ll try not to get overexcited because I’ll probably end up scaring y’all. I seriously consider this series a masterpiece. I respect Karen Marie Moning so much. She managed to nail it with these amazing characters and intriguing plot. It...more
Amy (Foxy)
What the feck is Jericho Barrons??

QUESTIONS and ANSWERS were flying all over the place. The more answers we were given the more questions it created! I'm thankful that at the end of the book Mac's journal was provided with her glossary terms. Hard to believe that only three months have passed since Mac received a phone message from her sister that turned her life upside down.
A bloodfever - as in I wanted blood, spilled for my sister. Spilled by my hand.
**Pre-review**(view spoiler)...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
*******SPOILERS*******

Beginning I would like to say how much I like how the charachters develop in the two books of the series I've already read. You can literally see Mac growing up, setting her childhood fantasies and dreams aside, getting over her "glam girl" persona, becoming more suspicious and aware of the world but not losing hope that one day she'll have them back. We see her former self trying for domination but the new Mac has other ideas.

About Barrons... The author gives us just enoug...more
Crystal~BIG book addict~
4 Mysterous Stars!

“One day you will kiss a man you can't breathe without, and find that breath is of little consequence." ~Barrons

photo null_zpseadfa4b1.jpg

The Flooze
Jan 30, 2011 The Flooze rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to The Flooze by: Laura Lulu
Argh! Who told this story to improve?!

I was deeply displeased with Mac in book one. I felt zero connection to her overly girlie, I Am Entitled attitude. I want to shake her to bits.

I didn’t care much for Barrons either. I didn’t dislike him, per se. Indifferent fits the bill better than any other description.

But the plot and world-building were sound. That, combined with the rabid fan-hordes and a readily available library book, prompted me to read on.

Dammit.

There’s marked improvement, on all...more
Dija
My Mini-Interview for Bloodfever:

What do you think of Mac and Barrons's relationship so far? How is it different from the way it was when they first met?
When they first met, there was nothing to their relationship except mutual benefit. Most of their relationship is still based on that, but I'm also beginning to notice how Mac and Barrons are coming to depend on one another for more than just the Book.

Nonetheless, their feelings for each other are still developing at snail pace and the most...more
Jessica
HELP!

Could someone please feel my temperature? I think I caught a fever! (Totally lame, I know ^^)

Yes, I am infected! Ladies, make some room for me on that bandwagon, I’m coming up!

This was great and so much better than the first book! The plot was gripping, fast-paced and full of twists and turns and I devoured it in almost no time.

For reasons unfathomable to me, KMM is still obsessed with long hair and silk shirts but she’s not as persistent about it as in book 1. Remember how I said that I ca...more
Hershey  (Wants to be Magneto)
Oh god, I think you'd get tired me of repeatedly saying that this series is fecking addictive.

So many new developments and changes and so many secrets revealed which sadly led to more secrets and I'm curious, curious, terribly curious. If Darkfever was irresistible and addictive and compelling, I don't know what to call Bloodfever. It's even more. Moning was very right to name this series as the Fever series. Once you have it, I guess you have it till the very end.

Let's get down to the characte...more
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
FlibBityFLooB
re-read 2011: still a five star book for me :)
Original Review 2010: Oh. My. This novel epitomizes why I love urban fantasy. Reading it was like a form of literary cocaine to me. I'm as bad as an addict. EEK!

I actually had the paperback sitting in front of me, but I chose to listen to the audiobook instead of reading it --- even though I could have read it much faster myself. The reader on the audiobooks does an awesome job with the accents and voices for all the different characters. I just l...more
valee
I have no words to say how good this series is.
If you enjoy UF and Paranormal romance (not that it has much romance in it but what it has is awesome...) you'll love this series.
It became one of my faves since I started it, but after reading the 2nd book in the series I have to say that it is on my top faves. I love everything about this new world Moning has created, and I absolubtely recommend this serie.
Are there any series similar or just a good as this one? 14 84 Sep 18, 2014 08:58AM
Kenyons Minions: Bloodfever BOTM 3 16 Aug 01, 2014 10:00AM
BR for the Fever Series Virgins continues 7 47 Nov 09, 2013 06:09AM
Buddy Read Zone: Bloodfever (Fever #2) 753 63 Apr 30, 2013 07:48PM
Book Recommendations 24 245 Feb 17, 2013 09:38PM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Fever Group Read--Bloodfever 3 20 Oct 11, 2012 07:58PM
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Iron Crowned (Dark Swan, #3)
Karen Marie Moning (rhymes with 'awning') is a # 1 New York Times bestselling author of 15 novels, including the RITA award-winning Highlander novels and the internationally bestselling urban fantasy "Fever" series. Her books have been published in nearly 40 languages, and her events draw fans from all over the world.

Moning graduated from Purdue University with a Bachelor's degree in Society and...more
More about Karen Marie Moning...
Darkfever (Fever, #1) Shadowfever (Fever, #5) Dreamfever (Fever, #4) Faefever (Fever, #3) Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)

“One day you will kiss a man you can't breathe without, and find that breath is of little consequence.” 2987 likes
“I was about to look away when he reached across the seat, touched my jaw with his long, strong, beautiful fingers, and caressed my face.
Being touched by Jericho Barrons with kindness makes you feel like you must be the most special person in the world. It’s like walking up to the biggest, most savage lion in the jungle, lying down, placing your head it its mouth and, rather than taking your life, it licks you and purrs.”
486 likes