The Silent Shore (Quantock Quartet, #1)

The Silent Shore (The Quantock Quartet #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published in the USA as Sarah's Story.
Published April 8th 2002 by Walker Books Ltd (first published 1986)

Kathryn
Though this book has been on my shelf for well over a year, it wasn't until it was chosen for the February group read over at the Kindred Spirits group that I finally decided to read it. We chose the book as one "in the spirit of" the works of L. M. Montgomery (i.e., "Anne of Green Gables") and, while Harris' book doesn't equal LMM's in my esteem and affection, I think it was definitely a good choice as it is evocative of LMM's adoration of nature, love of beauty and writing, and her position th...more
Sara
This is actually a 4.5 rating, not quite "amazing" but a beautiful read! I love the concept of a series in which each book is written from the point of view of each of four sisters.

In this first volume, Ruth Elwin Harris somehow captures the spirit of Sarah, the youngest sister, thru her growing up years. I could feel her awkwardness in certain social situations, her thrills at simple pleasures and privileges, and her "tween" dilemma of both reluctance and hurry to grow up. I can see how each o...more
CLM
Aug 02, 2008 CLM rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to CLM by: found at Blackwells in Oxford
First in an outstanding four book series about four sisters - Frances, Julia, Gwen and Sarah Purcell - and their neighbors, the Mackenzie boys. Set during the early part of the 20th century and during WWI, this one (which I think is the best) is told from the perspective of Sarah, the youngest sister. I like that the author didn't write the books chronologically. In fact, the stories all overlap somewhat but as the youngest, Sarah is also the best observer of the others.

Sadly this author has onl...more
It's as if Ruth Elwin Harris was commissioned to write a book that I would love: the time, the place, the delicate prose, the flowers and sunlight, the sweetness and the melancholy. It's just what I needed at this moment. And my name is on the cover!
Sabrina
This book was picked as a group read. It was sweet and I found the younger age Sarah to be enduring in her innocence. Even her crush on the older Gabriel is cute and understandable. For most of the book though, I kept waiting for something to happen. It just seemed to go on and on - something would happen and then a sentence or two and it's over. It became difficult for me to finish the book. The best part for me was when Sarah encountered Geoffrey in the cemetery. I remember thinking, finally s...more
Melee
Jan 11, 2013 Melee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melee by: Sarah
It's like someone brought up on the work of L.M. Montgomery wrote a book with a Suzanne Martin-esque (Song of Years) main character!

Those two things equal perfection, by the way.

I'd buy the rest of the series now, except I've accumulated a lot of books lately. (Which makes feel guilty. Stupid inexplicable, all-encompassing guilt complex...) Though I doubt I shall find them as kindred a spirit as my new friend Sarah, I'm eager to get to know Julia and Gwen. I have to admit, I am less interested i...more
Ginny Messina
Set in England during WWI, this is the first in a series of four books about four sisters. Sadly, they are out-of-print, although still readily available. I’ve had these on my to read list for several years and this one certainly lived up to my expectations. I’m really looking forward to the rest.
Elke
The first time I read this book I was 12 years old. Ten years later I am still re-reading and enjoying it.
The Purcell-stories are wonderful. No matter how many times you read about them, you never grow tired of the Purcells and the Mackenzies! I'm quite in love with all of them!

While looking up information about the VAD's (in the Imperial War Museum) for writing Julia's Story, the author found this letters of Billie Nevill, a guy serving in WW 1. She wrote a book about him later. It is a really...more
Trilllian
Un énorme coup de coeur, une très belle histoire, de très beaux personnages et le tout très bien écrit;

L'histoire de 4 soeurs, en angleterre en 1910, et qui viennent de perdre leurs parents; l'histoire est racontée du point de vue de la plus jeune des soeurs qui raconte le quotidien de sa famille entre 1910 et 1920, avec, au milieu, la première guerre mondiale qui va changer pas mal de chose; chacune des soeurs à son tempérament et son caractère, chacune à un talent et des faiblesses; elles vont...more
Charles
Oddly, not only did my wife pick up this book thinking I'd like it, but the Kindred Spirits group (http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6...) also choose it some months back. I did like the story - something "Akin to Anne" yet a bit like Little Women & the like - but it was difficult to get through, slow and times, not quite what I was hoping for. I'd like to read the rest of the series, perhaps sometime down the road...
Lisa
I found this book slow at first, but it grew on me. It's a literary, old fashioned style book set in England before and during WWI. It would appeal to readers who like a literary challenge and who enjoy historical fiction. It's a gentle read. Although I don't think it has wide appeal, I do think there are some teen readers who would enjoy it.
Kristin
I liked this one, but wanted it to be fleshed out a bit more. Interesting idea to have four books from four perspectives essentially telling about the same time period, but I think it would have worked better if it was done in first person.
Erin72
Frankly I found the whole series rather boring and ended up skimming alot. In the first book I was appalled at how cold the older sister was to her grieving younger sister Sarah, I couldn't get past that.
Gemma
this book was beautiful.
it started slowly and, dream like.
I just loved it!
Twyla
Dec 07, 2010 Twyla marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
oh I haven't heard of this one before. I look forward to finding it on the 2nd hand shelves.
Whitney
A nice an easy read. Probably best for women since it's all about a bunch of sisters.
Maxx Spiess
it was a amazing book!
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Gingercarrot495
Gingercarrot495 marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Tracy Munro
Tracy Munro marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Laura Bowes
Laura Bowes marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Elizabeth Pace
Elizabeth Pace marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
  • Remembrance
  • In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis
  • A Little Love Song
  • Half of the Human Race
  • The Twelfth Day of July (Kevin and Sadie, #1)
  • The Woman Reader
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • The Blessing
  • Miss Ranskill Comes Home
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile (The Montmaray Journals, #2)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • One Fine Day
  • Wishing for Tomorrow: The Sequel to A Little Princess
  • The Steps Up the Chimney (The Magician's House Quartet, #1)
  • Caesars' Wives: The Women Who Shaped the History of Rome
  • Irrepressible: The Life and Times of Jessica Mitford
  • Greenery Street
Ruth Elwin Harris says that her historic quartet of novels, THE SISTERS OF THE QUANTOCK HILLS, had its beginnings while she was growing up during World War II. To escape the wartime bombing, she and her brother were sent to live with their grandfather in rural Somerset, England. His house and garden became the model for Hillcrest, the Purcell sisters' family home in the four-part series.

Another i...more
More about Ruth Elwin Harris...
Frances's Story (Quantock Quartet, #2) Julia's Story (Quantock Quartet, #3) Gwen's Story (Quantock Quartet, #4)