Wither (Wendy Ward, #1)

Wither (Wendy Ward #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The college town of Windale, Massachusetts is proud of its colonial heritage -- including the legend of a dark witches' coven dating back three hundred years. No one in Windale actually believes in witches, or imagines that the blood-chilling history of the Salem era could repeat itself. But three people, unknown to one another, are experiencing vivid nightmares of palpabl...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published 1999)

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
174th out of 731 books — 996 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Books With Witches
322nd out of 868 books — 1,621 voters

More lists with this book...

Morgan
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. What can I say about this book? To be honest, not a lot since I read it my senior year of high school when it came out. I only offered it to one other person to read and she enjoyed it. (She also still remembers it.)

I think that the biggest thing that sticks out to me is that it read like a movie. I think I remember reading at the time that he was a screenwriter (this was his first novel), and it made total sense.

My favorite little quirk about the main character was that she...more
Amanda
"Intellectually, I disapprove of everything men stand for."
"Which would be?"
"Aggression. Warfare. Organized sports."
p. 21

"As she gave herself over to grief, it ceased to be an infinite thing, ceased to be the vast and life-smothering blackness she'd feared, and became instead something finite, already lightening at its borders. Something that could be endured. Something that could be survived." - p. 183

"Just look at this guy, he's a total indie cliché, with his Salvation Army bowling shirt and h...more
Erin (Paperback Stash)
As the story goes, while browsing online I saw news of an upcoming novel from the author (who has now penned "Wither," "Wither's Rain," and "Wither's Legacy"). In several groups I visit, mention of this novel were made. At this point, I hadn't really heard of the series and of course hadn't read it. After digging in a little further, I found out that this was a trilogy and this the first one.

Thinking this book sounded up my alley, I checked off a mental note in my head to scope out the original...more
Kristal
Within a sleepy little college town, a young woman, a pregnant professor and a young girl are caught up in a web of horror that is generations older than themselves.

Wendy Ward is a student at the local college where her father is the President. But Wendy is far for the proverbial typical college kid. She is a practicing witch but only white magic. So when she decides to perform a cleansing ritual, she doesn't see any harm in it. However, there are other forces in the town who are waiting to rev...more
Marti
For a first effort at writing a novel, this is really good. There is a fair amount of scary stuff, a little history of witches in New England, and some of a love interest. The characters, other than the scary witches, are sympathetic and this would probably not be the book to be reading if you are by yourself in a big, gloomy type house, in a snowstorm or thunderstorm, especially if you have a lot of imagination because you might scare yourself silly.
Vivienne
It certainly had some good bits but suffered a little from the writer's cramming in scary monsters with the witchcraft. It was a first novel though so perhaps they have improved with later books.

I did like Wendy Ward, the apprentice witch, quite a lot.
Lisa Kessler
This is a great supernatural read! Scary witches and curses and a heroine you can really root for! :) Worth reading!
Roberta
Kiwi
I literally picked this up off the street with my friend's boyfriend. It was a hardcover book without its slip. The black cover peeked up at me through a pile of old kids books and toys ready to hit the landfill. I scooped it up, read the quote page and saw the pentacles. Smiled. Brought it home.

Quick read. I liked a lot of the characterisation and how many points of view were used. I loved that there wasn't a fear to use the POV of someone about to die. I liked that we knew all along it would b...more
Jeff
This was a beginning of sorts you might say, a change from just strictly horror for me, to a somewhat beginning of urban fantasy in a way. I think Passarella had a great idea and great characters to make a fun read like this. He could have been a forerunner to the present day urban fantasy. He created a unique female character, that used magic and a great antagonist to bring his heroine to fruition. And like the heroines of today, created two follow up novels as well. I just wished he would have...more
Jamie Henderson
I am frankly appalled that so many people recommend this book so highly. It's not that it's bad; it's just not very good. The writing is mediocre and lacks anything to distinguish it. The story has a lot of potential and is, frankly, pretty cool, but it's executed in a completely boring fashion. Passarella draws the story out so long that you just don't care what happens in the end. This is genre fiction at its most ubiquitous: formulaic, boring, and over-rated.
Woowott
Let me be honest. It's a horror novel I didn't finish. That never happens. I came close, but I got distracted. And then I ceased to care. I found the characters dull and trite. The friend who is a women's studies major is a caricature of women's studies majors. I found the main female professor to be needlessly stupid. I found the main character to be trite. I found the historical moments to be trite and forced. And I think maybe the author needs to know some actual pagans.

There was no incentiv...more
L.D.
It's so easy to get caught up in hipe! The Authors are there to meet, the books are abundent to pick up, scan the back, have the all wanted autograph. I have been in my favorite Genre and I'm looking for a change. Something to lore me to the edge of my seat and not let me leave there till finished. So I start out and 50 pages in ok. By the middle of the book I'm thinking ok... Now I've finished and saying, " What was so great about that?"

I have greatly enjoyed John Saul and Saul has left Passa...more
Lissa
Warning - this is a RANT.
This book was a quick read, and although enjoyable at parts, it just didn't do it for me. At some points I laughed out loud at how ridiculous things could be (I'm not going to go into specifics because I don't want to ruin the book for anyone who hasn't read it and might actually enjoy it). It also bugged me that the author loved to abbreviate things in a "hip" way. Like having the characters say "prof" instead of "professor." Who really says that?
Also, the sex scenes!...more
Shannon
This witchy novel was published on my birthday and what a great gift to myself it was! John Passarella received a Brom Stoker Award for this novel, and for a reason. From the first page I was hooked, or... a spell was cast, I can never be quite sure. It is the 1st book in the series and I would recommend all three of them.

He has also written some other goodies, such as Kindred Spirit, and some for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Have a look at his work and you be the judge for yourself. His work has...more
Marie
It's competently written, I guess - as in no glaring plot-holes or punctuation mistakes, but it never really grabs you. My gut reaction is this is because the characters are presented entirely as surface. We see what they do, what their hobbies are, but no conflicts or contradictions of internal life, nothing messy and human. The only character that really came alive to me was the football player who has one big scene before getting eaten by the monster.

He was a dick. That's character.

Overall:...more
Tricia Price
I picked this up by accident (was supposed to read the same title by a different author for book club), and even though horror is absolutely NOT my thing, I had a hard time putting this down, so I guess that says something good about it. It sure scared the heck out of me--and I guess that's the purpose of horror, right? Definitely an adult book--there was some graphic sexual content involving "tantric energies" used for magic.
Mary
Jan 12, 2012 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
This novel revolves around the college town of Windale, Massachusetts and the effect that a dark witches' coven has on the town. Now, three people who don't know each other are having the same nightmare of a dark demonic creature intent on breaking into the real world. I really liked this book and give it an A! It's fast-paced and scary.
louisa
What Gangemi co-wrote under a pseudonym before Inamorata. In ways I like it better. The Sarducci test/best: the protagonist has a US map taped on the wall in front of her stationary bike and everyday marks where her odometer reading has gotten her to (at the beginning, the outskirts of Jacksonville, FL).
Robert
Wow! Great book! Passarella knows how to keep the tension high as he moves between the main characters of the book. Quick, sharp writing with a good storyline. I know there are other Wither books out there so I'll be searching for them soon.
Austin
Straight up horror novel with that good 'ol halloween-town feel. Perfect balance of setting, but not metaphor or simile laden. A flowing read that you can easily pick up any time of day. Despite synopsis, i didnt feel the ending was a "twist"
Angela
I bought this book as I wanted to read something scary – this book didn’t deliver unfortunately.

It was ok but nothing special and I pretty much guessed the ending before reading it as it’s quite predictable.
Anne
A modern witch story set in a small college town. Three women are inhabited by the spirits of historical witch figures who are flying around and doing very nasty, violent acts. Scary; good writing. Kept me up at night.
Nadine
I enjoyed Wither very much. The characters were well thought out and it kept my attention. While it is not the best constructed book I have ever read, it kept my attention throughout.
Tina
I loved the start of the book and end of the book but I was very annoyed with the middle. But, I'm trying the find the next book of the series so I did like it in the end
Sarah Frommer
GREAT BOOK!!!!!!

I loved it so much I bought the next two in the series. Perfect paranormal, spooky tale, and what I think is a promising intro in the series.
Violet
Not terribly original. I have come across similar stories before. The style is not too impressive. Not much atmosphere or suspense. Overall, it's just about readable.
Nicole
This book would make a great movie. Very descriptive and a very real setting. For a book it lacked the depth of characters and the story itself was weak.
Jordan Dooms
The ending of this was kind of horrible cheesy horror movie style. Unfortunate, as it was fun to read throughout.almost makes it two star quality.
Alyssa
fun, engaging supernatural read

do yourself a favor though- don't read the kindle version. it has so many typos it might ruin the story for you
  • Sineater
  • The Night Class
  • The Uncanny
  • Ghosts
  • Among the Missing
  • Covenant
  • Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #1)
  • The Summoning
  • The Magdalena Curse
  • Everything Must Go (STP - Mira)
  • One Last Dance
  • House of Blood
  • Ravenous
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Headhunter  (Special X, #1)
  • Elsewhere
  • A Ruling Passion
"J.G. Passarella" is a pseudonym for the two authors who coauthored Wither. One of these authors, John Passarella, continued the Wendy Ward series, and has written other books, under his own name. The second coauthor prefers to remain anonymous at this time.
More about J.G. Passarella...