Start by marking “New Poems, 1907” as Want to Read:
New Poems, 1907

New Poems, 1907

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Translated by Edward Snow Winner of the Harold Morton Landon Translation Award. Rilke's move to Paris in 1902 and his close association with Rodin led him in a new direction in his poetry. Between 1906 and 1908 he produced a torrent of brilliant work that he published in two volumes under the title Neue Gedichte: "New Poems." As translator Edward Snow writes, these books " ...more
Published January 1st 1990 by North Point Press (first published December 1964)

To ask other readers questions about New Poems, 1907, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Poems, 1907

Cassandra
Many of these poems are quite amazing in translation, and as it is a bilingual edition, it was possible to look over at the German and get a sense for the original flow; many of them were rhymed but I think Snow made the right decision in not forcing that into the English versions. It is nice to be able to query phrases that seem a little off; I had an enjoyable time putting one of my favourites ("The Olive Garden") into Google translate in the German and seeing what it came up with.

Rilke wrote
Rilke, to me, is the pinnacle of what poetry can achieve. And I don't even speak German! Of all the volumes of his work, somehow these speak to me the most. It was at this point in his career that his style had matured... the succinctness and yet the gradual unfolding of meaning in these poems... they truly astound me.

Of every translation I have seen, Snow's is the strongest. He is something of a poet himself. I cannot recommend this highly enough... but be warned it may alter you irrevocably.
Jesús
Algunos poemas, y algunos versos o detalles dentro de otros, me parecieron sencillamente excelentes. Otros no me llegaron tanto. De ahí que no le ponga más estrellas.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
This is an excellant collection of poems, the translations true to what Rilke wrote. I have read snatches of some of these works but it is wonderful to have the whole collection
Milla
Milla added it
Nov 09, 2014
Aleks
Aleks marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Arucos
Arucos marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Nexus7000
Nexus7000 marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Camilo
Camilo marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Devin
Devin is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2014
Hanny
Hanny is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2014
Carola Bermúdez
Carola Bermúdez is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2013
Adam
Adam added it
Dec 24, 2013
Víctor Bermúdez
Víctor Bermúdez marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Nicholas Knouf
Nicholas Knouf marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Sara!
Sara! added it
Jun 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos
More about Rainer Maria Rilke...
Letters to a Young Poet The Selected Poetry Duino Elegies The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God