Start by marking “The Nature of Animal Healing: The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat” as Want to Read:

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A pioneering revolutionary prescription
for the health and long life of your pets

For two decades, Dr. Martin Goldstein--America's most successful, renowned holistic veterinarian--has healed and helped his animal patients with the same natural therapies that benefit humans. The results have been so astounding that today critically sick pets are brought to him from across the
Published June 6th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published April 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Nature of Animal Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nature of Animal Healing

David Jay
Aug 10, 2008 David Jay rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog and cat owners
Written by one of the vets who works with Sophie, one of Oprah's dogs... So you know he must know what he is talking about...
I thought that this was a great book about how to care for your dog or cat holistically, focusing on environment, nutrition and emotions. I love the section on the spiritual connection between pets and the owners. I don't think I've ever read anything non-fiction that addressed that topic before.
The only problem I had with this book is that some of that stuff that Goldstei
Monica
Jun 24, 2012 Monica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pets
Very nice book on how to care for our pets holistically. I especially enjoy the information on feeding pets high quality food, including home cooked meals. I also feel that it's most important for people to realize that over vaccination is dangerous to pets and completely not needed.

Although it is more expensive, you can ask for a titer test to determine the antibody levels in your pet for certain vaccines. I just did this for my 1 year old cocker spaniel and he did not need to get re-injected f
Jen
Personally, I found this guy a little hokey... some nice ideas, but too much "miracle syndrome" stuff to be completely believable.
Andrea Partee
This is my absolute favorite book for dog health and I keep it in reach as a reference. Having a holistic practitioner for my kids and myself along with self treatment using homeopathy, herbs and food, I hated I couldn't find the equivalent in the veterinary field.

I was looking for something credible for use with the five dogs I had at the time and this book helped immensely. Since Dr. Marty was a traditional practicing veterinarian first, it gives him more credibility for those who still belie
Lisa
Jul 04, 2009 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pet owners with brains.
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
Another life-changer for my pets. The author is an actual Cornell graduate veterinarian, not some holistic quack. Though he does preach holistic medicine. Thoroughly researched and well-written, this book will make you take a second look at what your vet shoves on your pet unnecessarily every year. Read what he says about those vaccinations. After puppyhood, we didn't vaccinate our dog for six years. A move across country, a plane flight, and several stints in boarding kennels required renewed v ...more
Kristin
If you care about your cat or dog, I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book.

Dr. Goldstein provides a lot of information. But, he does a wonderful job at mixing up the medical information with personal anecdotes and stories about his patients and their care-givers. And, it is all really to understand.

The funny thing is that his approach is a holistic one--treating the animal as a whole being. After reading his book, it really all just seems like common sense.

This book has really changed
Miranda Davis
Dr Marty as his patients' owners know him, uses a holistic approach to treat cancer and chronic diseases. I was fortunate to have found him when my beloved dog develop soft tissue cancer at 9. With Dr. Marty's treatments and nutritional supplementation, Chance lived another 6 years without suffering a reoccurrence and was his irascible self to the day he died.

There is a great deal of wisdom in this book for pet owners looking to improve their pet's health and quality of life by reasonable means
Erin
I read this book because my dog has been severely ill and the more medications I gave her, the more uncomfortable I felt. Part personal anecdote, part scientific study, Dr. Martin Goldstein has profoundly changed the way I view veterinary medicine. I've overhauled both my dog's and my diets, added holistic supplements, and seen tremendous results in both the way I feel and the way my dog is feeling. This book was a game-changer for us.
Stacy Curro
I use and refer to this book all the time. I wish this was required reading in all the vet schools to open their minds. I'd recommend this book to everyone who has a pet.
Tyra Schutt
This book will change your views of how you feed and care for your pet. Very eye opening and disturbing, but a wonderful reference and a must-read for pet owners.
Abby
Such a great learning tool for pet owners. It completely changed the way I feed my dog and holistically look at all aspects of his health.
Kim Mccary
I read this a long time ago, became and still serves as my touchstone for supporting my animal companion's health and happiness.
Carrie
Excellent information, and not overwhelming. Ralphie the dog is already healthier!
Robin
Great reference book to keep going back to for a multitude of pet purposes.
Sonia T
Eye opening book to learn about the (natural) health of your pet.
Jennifer Kachnic
Well written and lots of great information
Shanna
An excellent resource for any animal lover!
Michelle
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Venita Bentley
Venita Bentley marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Sondra
Sondra marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Robert Skomorucha
Robert Skomorucha marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • The New Natural Cat: A Complete Guide for Finicky Owners
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Feed Your Pet Right: The Authoritative Guide to Feeding Your Dog and Cat
  • The Culture Clash
  • The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food
How We Know: An Exploration Of The Scientific Process The Refrigerator and the Universe: Understanding the Laws of Energy The Sex Book; A Modern Pictorial Encyclopedia The Experience of Science Myasthenia Gravis, Vol. 274

“Imagine waking up in the morning and going to the kitchen and to make yourself some breakfast. You take some soybean grits, mix them with some tainted cattle meat, throw in a few beaks and feathers, smother your concoction with processed sugar syrup and chemicals, then sprinkle on a few preservatives and dyes. Pressure cook the hell out of it, let it cool-and dig in!” 2 likes